Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Edmunds Members - Cars and Conversations

Comments

• 28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,384

@roadburner said:
    I almost badged a knucklehead today; I was driving the 2er to work in the in a 45 mph zone when a C6 passed both me and the car behind me at a speed of 80 mph or better- on a blind uphill corner. He almost ran an oncoming car off the road in the process. He got held up behind some slow traffic shortly thereafter, and if I had not had an early appointment he and I would have had a roadside discussion...

Another Mensa member.

2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible, 2015 Audi Q5 TDI
  • oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,644
    mjfloyd1 said:

I didn’t say that.

Dr Google can tell you whatever you want to hear. My wife had back pain and googled it and was convinced that she had two cancers. The CT showed facet arthritis. That’s just one spot in time as CTs or MRIs can show unsuspected things as well. Typically if it sounds like a horse, it is a horse and not a zebra.

Asking a chiropractor if epidural steroids are good will probably be non productive since chiropractors do not place epidural steroids.

The opposite can be true if you go to a physician that is “needle happy”.

If all you have is a hammer then everything looks like a nail.

I’d suggest going to someone that you trust and follow their advice.

So your wife had a case of medical student’s disease? I’ve had that a few times myself.

You know I was joking about not being smarter than the internet, right? I even put the emotorcon in there.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,644
    edited August 2021
    mjfloyd1 said:

For some people, epidural steroids are great and they get long lasting relief with a couple of injections. For other people, there is no pain relief (and increase in functional capabilities).

You just need to decide what is right for you. What is right for me may not be what you want and vice versa.

I’ve never had much pain relief from shots and pills. Once I tweaked my knee and aggravated my bone spurs. The doc gave me a shot of cortisone which did nothing. Another time after bicep tendon surgery they gave me a bottle of oxy-something or other. My arm didn’t hurt but my back was bothering me so I figured, what the heck? The pain killers didn’t help my back pain but they made me so dopey that I was afraid to walk across the room. No more of that, thanks.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,078
    Doctors, even good ones, are quite fallible. My left knee is a prime example. I clearly remember the first time I had a problem with it, one evening at home around 1995, I went to get up from a chair and had sudden sharp pain that persisted. Family doc referred me to an orthopedist who did whatever and diagnosed it as torn cartilage. Ultimately arthroscopic surgery was decided upon as a fix. It was done in '97 using a nerve block, so as a result I was able to observe the entire thing. They put their camera inside the knee and oops, no torn cartilage, but a pockmarked image that looked like the surface of the moon except it was pink. They tell me that's arthritis, and decide to grind it away using something like a Dremel designed for that. Then they say it will only help for a while and that I'd be back. On that point they were correct. By the early 2000s it was problematic again and a couple of cortisone shots only provided relief for a short time.

Since then it has been various pills and the like but with my heart issues I can only take stuff that doesn't help much. Last year my current family doc decided another cortisone shot might help. Unlike those I remembered in the past this one didn't help at all and in fact made it worse. Now they conclude that I only had a thin veneer of cartilage left in there, and since cortisone tends to eat up cartilage, that last shot wiped out most of what I had left so now the knee is as bad as it has ever been.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,146
    ab348 said:

Last year my current family doc decided another cortisone shot might help. Unlike those I remembered in the past this one didn't help at all and in fact made it worse. Now they conclude that I only had a thin veneer of cartilage left in there, and since cortisone tends to eat up cartilage, that last shot wiped out most of what I had left so now the knee is as bad as it has ever been.

Point made from my cited article.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

ab348 said:

Doctors, even good ones, are quite fallible.

Doctors fallible. My wife suffers from a botched hip muscle repair surgery with a doctor who has too much ego and not enough common sense. Shoulda sued.

edited August 2021
    While we're on the subject of medicine.
    If you catch the joke on this, you're showing your age.

• bwiabwia Member Posts: 2,913
    I don't get it. Are these supposed to be TV doctors (modern technology) attempting to fix a basic problem when common sense, as simple as using a pencil can remedy the situation. I give up.
  • driver100driver100 Member Posts: 31,975
    jmonroe1 said:

@snakeweasel said:

@oldfarmer50 said:

More bad news. This zombie just won’t die.

https://www.yahoo.com/now/infrastructure-bill-floats-national-mileage-181500769.html

Anybody have a spare stake?👹👹👹

I want to say something but the moderators would have a fit.

Go for it. They left for the weekend and put me in charge. B)

jmonroe

If they do that I am going to burn my membership card ;)

2017 MB E400 , 2015 MB GLK350, 2014 MB C250

The words a doctor hates to hear;
    "I just read on google that..........."

• jmonroe1jmonroe1 Member Posts: 7,538

@driver100 said:
    If they do that I am going to burn my membership card ;)

No need. I turned it off but since it’s slow in here now it’s back on again till you start acting up. I don’t expect this reactivation to last very long. :(

jmonroe

'15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)

@bwia said:
    I don't get it. Are these supposed to be TV doctors (modern technology) attempting to fix a basic problem when common sense, as simple as using a pencil can remedy the situation. I give up.

So when did you flunk out of med school. :s

jmonroe

'15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
  • tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,899

While we're on the subject of medicine.
    If you catch the joke on this, you're showing your age.

Lol. Remember those days well! I used to record songs from the radio. I call that the 80s Napster.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,899
    You have to laugh at this.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,345

One of my wife’s friends had to take her daughter to the ER last weekend. It was a neurological issue. The young ER doctor tells the mom, “I’ve never encountered this, so I guess we will learn about it together.”
    I wouldn’t like to hear that from an automotive technician.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• mjfloyd1mjfloyd1 Member Posts: 3,269

I’m thinking that “I’m going to call a neurologist to come see you” would have been a bit better to say.

bwia said:

I got it, and it made me chuckle.

Those docs are cassette tapes, @bwia.

As a side note to my medical woes, up until a couple of weeks ago when I turned 65 I had good drug coverage from my former employer, but at age 65 that ends, and you have to go on the govt plan. If you can call it that. It is more like a bean-counter bureaucrat's plan. There is a 30% co-pay per prescription, and they have a limited formulary of drugs that they cover. Naturally, one of mine, Eliquis (apixaban) is one of those on their verboten list. On the website for the plan, they have a link to how to apply to get "excluded" medications like that covered. The process and the number of doctor's signatures required mean I'm likely just going to pay for it myself. It would take months to get that filled out. Canada's awful health care system strikes again.

• abacomikeabacomike Member Posts: 12,258

@ab348 said:
    As a side note to my medical woes, up until a couple of weeks ago when I turned 65 I had good drug coverage from my former employer, but at age 65 that ends, and you have to go on the govt plan. If you can call it that. It is more like a bean-counter bureaucrat's plan. There is a 30% co-pay per prescription, and they have a limited formulary of drugs that they cover. Naturally, one of mine, Eliquis (apixaban) is one of those on their verboten list. On the website for the plan, they have a link to how to apply to get "excluded" medications like that covered. The process and the number of doctor's signatures required mean I'm likely just going to pay for it myself. It would take months to get that filled out. Canada's awful health care system strikes again.

Down here at my pharmacies they charge me $575 for a 90 day prescription of Eliquis and that’s with insurance. I am in the donut hole (every May I am always in the donut hole) and until I spend $4000+ out of pocket, I remain there. Once I am over $4000+ I go into the catastrophic level where my insurance will pick up 90% of the cost. I never make it there.

For Eliquis, I survive on samples whenever I can get them.

2021 Genesis G90

• explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,298
    We have a talking Big Bird that uses cassettes and has a book to go with each one.
    It's got to be 30 years old.
    The tapes still work and my grandson loves it.
    The Play Button won't stay down, vertical orientation, but I cut off a pencil stub and you just hold the button down, insert the pencil above it and it works perfectly well.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert

@roadburner said:
    One of my wife’s friends had to take her daughter to the ER last weekend. It was a neurological issue. The young ER doctor tells the mom, “I’ve never encountered this, so I guess we will learn about it together.”

I agree. They don’t say a word, they just get to work with the wrong size wrench’s and when that doesn’t work they use a hammer. 😧

jmonroe

@ab348 said:
    Doctors, even good ones, are quite fallible. My left knee is a prime example. I clearly remember the first time I had a problem with it, one evening at home around 1995, I went to get up from a chair and had sudden sharp pain that persisted. Family doc referred me to an orthopedist who did whatever and diagnosed it as torn cartilage. Ultimately arthroscopic surgery was decided upon as a fix. It was done in '97 using a nerve block, so as a result I was able to observe the entire thing. They put their camera inside the knee and oops, no torn cartilage, but a pockmarked image that looked like the surface of the moon except it was pink. They tell me that's arthritis, and decide to grind it away using something like a Dremel designed for that. Then they say it will only help for a while and that I'd be back. On that point they were correct. By the early 2000s it was problematic again and a couple of cortisone shots only provided relief for a short time.

Since then it has been various pills and the like but with my heart issues I can only take stuff that doesn't help much. Last year my current family doc decided another cortisone shot might help. Unlike those I remembered in the past this one didn't help at all and in fact made it worse. Now they conclude that I only had a thin veneer of cartilage left in there, and since cortisone tends to eat up cartilage, that last shot wiped out most of what I had left so now the knee is as bad as it has ever been.

Humans are fallible. Doctors, lawyers, judges, trash men. You name it.

• qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,930

@bwia said:

Ok, I’ll help.

Back in the “old days,” cassettes would often get caught up in the player and unwind a bit. You’d have to straighten out the loose tape and wind one of the wheels to get it back into the cassette. A pencil was usually your best tool to stick into the wheel to spin it.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

I’d much rather a doctor tell me they don’t know and will find the person who knows the answer, then act confident and guess (usually incorrectly).

“You gotta know what you don’t know”

• roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,345
    One of my law professors always said that he'd give a higher grade to a student who admitted that he/she didn't know the answer over a student who tried to B.S. it. He referred to the latter person as "affirmatively dangerous."

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

ab348 said:

Do insurance companies pay damage claims as a result of reckless driving or excessive speed?

I don't think we ever got an answer to this question. I am not sure but I think, from what I am looking up, there is careless driving - which is when someone makes a mistake and causes damage, and then there is reckless driving - which happens when the driver should have known better and does something he should not have been doing, such as driving under the influence, or racing etc.
    From my understanding (which might not mean a lot) you are covered in cases of careless driving, you made an accidental mistake, but if it can be proven you did something reckless, or were driving while intoxicated, your insurance company probably won't pay for damage you have done.
    Something to consider, if tempted to race someone or go around a corner too fast when it has been raining.

Tax dollars at work today: Our municipal govt has a "hazardous waste depot" not far from where my office used to be before I retired. It is open one Saturday a month for the public to drop off old cans of paint, solvent, propane bottles, oil, you name it. This week they have been promoting a pop-up location much more convenient to where I live for today from 9AM-4PM. They had a list of everything they would take and it included gasoline. I have a 5-gal jug of gas I bought a couple of years ago for the emergency generator. Even through I put some stabilizer in it I thought I would get it dumped and refill with fresh.

I head out to the pop-up site and it is in a large and unused back parking lot of a municipal arena. The single-file line of vehicles snakes through the lot and must be 50 deep; it goes all the way to the street. But it does seem to be moving reasonably well so I decide to wait it out. After about 30-40 minutes I finally get to the area where they are processing 3 vehicles at a time. I roll down the window and tell the fellow what I have in the trunk, and say "Can you dump that and give me back the empty can?"

"No, we need the can."

"But your promo said you could take gasoline."

"Yeah, we can take it, but we can't dump it. We have to take the can."

"But it's like a $25 gas can. Don't you have a dumping station?"

"Let me go check."

He goes away, comes back with a supervisor. "Sorry, but we can't dump gasoline here. We don't have the proper containment and vapor capture facilities here. All we can do is take the can."

"The promo didn't make that clear."

"Yeah, you're not the first one asking. Sorry about that."

"OK, then. Thanks anyway."

"So you don't want to leave the can?"

"No."

I suspect the local buy and sell site will have a bunch of used gas cans listed next week.

@roadburner said:
    One of my law professors always said that he'd give a higher grade to a student who admitted that he/she didn't know the answer over a student who tried to B.S. it. He referred to the latter person as "affirmatively dangerous."

He would be correct.

I’ve always been baffled by the fear of saying “I don’t know.”

• andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,729
    mjfloyd1 said:

@ab348 said:

Humans are fallible. Doctors, lawyers, judges, trash men. You name it.

Don't forget traffic cops. :smile:
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
  • andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,729
    driver100 said:

ab348 said:

Do insurance companies pay damage claims as a result of reckless driving or excessive speed?

I don't think we ever got an answer to this question. I am not sure but I think, from what I am looking up, there is careless driving - which is when someone makes a mistake and causes damage, and then there is reckless driving - which happens when the driver should have known better and does something he should not have been doing, such as driving under the influence, or racing etc.
    From my understanding (which might not mean a lot) you are covered in cases of careless driving, you made an accidental mistake, but if it can be proven you did something reckless, or were driving while intoxicated, your insurance company probably won't pay for damage you have done.
    Something to consider, if tempted to race someone or go around a corner too fast when it has been raining.
    What about texting while driving? What about looking at your phone? What about having the phone in your hand? What about talking on the phone (distracted?)?
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion

@mjfloyd1 said:

Huh? Did you learn that in med school? And to think, they wouldn’t let me in because they didn’t think I could learn that??? I should re-apply. ☹️

jmonroe

@ab348 said:
    Tax dollars at work today: Our municipal govt has a "hazardous waste depot" not far from where my office used to be before I retired. It is open one Saturday a month for the public to drop off old cans of paint, solvent, propane bottles, oil, you name it. This week they have been promoting a pop-up location much more convenient to where I live for today from 9AM-4PM. They had a list of everything they would take and it included gasoline. I have a 5-gal jug of gas I bought a couple of years ago for the emergency generator. Even through I put some stabilizer in it I thought I would get it dumped and refill with fresh.

I head out to the pop-up site and it is in a large and unused back parking lot of a municipal arena. The single-file line of vehicles snakes through the lot and must be 50 deep; it goes all the way to the street. But it does seem to be moving reasonably well so I decide to wait it out. After about 30-40 minutes I finally get to the area where they are processing 3 vehicles at a time. I roll down the window and tell the fellow what I have in the trunk, and say "Can you dump that and give me back the empty can?"

"No, we need the can."

"Let me go check."

He goes away, comes back with a supervisor. "Sorry, but we can't dump gasoline here. We don't have the proper containment and vapor capture facilities here. All we can do is take the can."

"No."

I suspect the local buy and sell site will have a bunch of used gas cans listed next week.

Yeah probably. So when you go make sure to tell them you want your old can back (maybe you should have taken a picture of it. Oh well, too late now). I’d never trust a used gas can that some dope may have spit in or something else. :s

jmonroe

edited August 2021

@jmonroe1 said:

@mjfloyd1 said:

Huh? Did you learn that in med school? And to think, they wouldn’t let me in because they didn’t think I could learn that??? I should re-apply. ☹️

jmonroe

I learned that in common sense school🤣

Feel free to reapply. I’d like to retire sometime in the not distant future. It takes 1.5-2 FTE to replace someone in my generation so feel free to bring a buddy too :)

@andres3 said:

Gee, we never would have thought of that. Thanks for bringing that to our attention.

jmonroe

• cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,504
    qbrozen said:

A pencil was usually your best tool to stick into the wheel to spin it.

I found that a Bic pen fit a little bit better. I got pretty good at splicing with Scotch tape and a razor blade when the piece of tape that got wrapped around the capstan was beyond help.

'08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester

@mjfloyd1 said:

@jmonroe1 said:

@mjfloyd1 said:

jmonroe

I learned that in common sense school🤣

Feel free to reapply. I’d like to retire sometime in the not distant future. It takes 1.5-2 FTE to replace someone in my generation so feel free to bring a buddy too :)

Nah, I have more experience now. I think I can get this done in my spare time between flips.

jmonroe

@jmonroe1 said:

@andres3 said:

Gee, we never would have thought of that. Thanks for bringing that to our attention.

jmonroe

I was waiting for someone to say sales and finance at Kia dealerships and Kia finance :)

• snakeweaselsnakeweasel Member Posts: 19,324
    I don't think we ever got an answer to this question. I am not sure but I think, from what I am looking up, there is careless driving - which is when someone makes a mistake and causes damage, and then there is reckless driving - which happens when the driver should have known better and does something he should not have been doing, such as driving under the influence, or racing etc. From my understanding (which might not mean a lot) you are covered in cases of careless driving, you made an accidental mistake, but if it can be proven you did something reckless, or were driving while intoxicated, your insurance company probably won't pay for damage you have done. Something to consider, if tempted to race someone or go around a corner too fast when it has been raining.

It boils down to this, what does the policy say? And how will the courts interpret what it says.

2011 Hyundai Sonata, 2014 BMW 428i convertible, 2015 Honda CTX700D

• snakeweaselsnakeweasel Member Posts: 19,324
    I don't think we ever got an answer to this question. I am not sure but I think, from what I am looking up, there is careless driving - which is when someone makes a mistake and causes damage, and then there is reckless driving - which happens when the driver should have known better and does something he should not have been doing, such as driving under the influence, or racing etc. From my understanding (which might not mean a lot) you are covered in cases of careless driving, you made an accidental mistake, but if it can be proven you did something reckless, or were driving while intoxicated, your insurance company probably won't pay for damage you have done. Something to consider, if tempted to race someone or go around a corner too fast when it has been raining.
    What about texting while driving? What about looking at your phone? What about having the phone in your hand? What about talking on the phone (distracted?)?

What about talking to a passenger in your car? What about looking at a paper map? What about yelling at the kids in the back seat? what about rubber necking that cute lady walking down the road? What about reading the Burma Shave signs?

2011 Hyundai Sonata, 2014 BMW 428i convertible, 2015 Honda CTX700D

What about us?
    What about all the times you said you had the answers?

That should be a song. Nah, it would never work :)

• fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,134
    Didn't you have any plastic bags handy? It works in Murka! B)

ab348 said:

"No, we need the can."

"Let me go check."

"No."

• fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,134
    Way back when, when I was a student new to the college town where I was attending school, the fintail developed a leak in a FI line, and I didn't know where to take it for a repair - hadn't found an indy shop yet. The town had a MB dealer, and I knew they could get the replacement part, so I just took it there for the repair. The tech I dealt with stated "I've never seen one like this before" when looking over the car. The repair was actually competed without issue, and for a reasonable price (these old MFI systems look complex, but are relatively simple if you study them, cutting edge 1955 tech), but still had me a little worried.

mjfloyd1 said:

I don't know lots :p

edited August 2021

What about talking to a passenger in your car? What about looking at a paper map? What about yelling at the kids in the back seat? what about rubber necking that cute lady walking down the road? What about reading the Burma Shave signs?

**********************************************************************************
    (my intelligent comments below)

Those are normal natural things you do.....that are careless. Reckless would be racing someone, driving while intoxicated, going around a corner at 80 mph in a 50 mph zone when the roads are icy...maybe. It depends on the evidence presented, you'd even have to prove over the limit if dui. Reckless is making a conscious decision to do something that you really should not be doing.

• abacomikeabacomike Member Posts: 12,258

@driver100 said:

Those are normal natural things you do.....that are careless. Reckless would be racing someone, driving while intoxicated, going around a corner at 80 mph in a 50 mph zone when the roads are icy...maybe. It depends on the evidence presented, you'd even have to prove over the limit if dui. Reckless is making a conscious decision to do something that you really should not be doing.

I guess I am reckless because I knowingly and consciously read this post when I knew I shouldn’t have! 😜🤪🤓

2021 Genesis G90

• cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,504
    edited August 2021
    If it's one or two lines I end up reading it before I knew who posted. Any longer, not a chance.
    '08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester
  • bwiabwia Member Posts: 2,913
    edited August 2021
    Cadillac to discontinue the gasoline version of the CT4-V Blackwing. Who knows, it might return as an electric variant but for now it and the CT5-V Blackwing are headed the way way of the Dodo bird.
    Specifications
    2022 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing
    Vehicle Type: front-engine, rear-wheel-drive, 5-passenger, 4-door sedan
    BASE PRICE:
    $59,990
    ENGINE
    twin-turbocharged and intercooled DOHC 24-valve V-6, aluminum block and heads, direct fuel injection
    Displacement: 218 in3, 3564 cm3
    Power: 472 hp @ 5750 rpm
    Torque: 445 lb-ft @ 3500 rpm

TRANSMISSIONS
    6-speed manual, 10-speed automatic

DIMENSIONS
    Wheelbase: 109.3 in
    Length: 187.6 in
    Width: 71.5 in
    Height: 56.0 in
    Passenger Volume: 90 ft3
    Trunk Volume: 11 ft3
    Curb Weight (C/D est): 3850 lb

PERFORMANCE (C/D EST)
    60 mph: 3.8–4.1 sec
    100 mph: 8.3–9.5 sec
    1/4-Mile: 12.0–12.4 sec
    Top Speed: 189 mph

EPA FUEL ECONOMY
    Combined/City/Highway: 18–19/15–16/23–24 mpg

edited August 2021
    Can you provide a link for that discontinuance statement? They just introduced the 2 Blackwing models and the press embargo on the launch event isn't even fully lifted yet! The CT5 version's embargo of the launch event ends this week. Unreal. Production of the CT4 and 5, Blackwing or not, has been suspended for a while anyway due to parts/chip shortages from what I understand.

abacomike said:

@driver100 said:

I guess I am reckless because I knowingly and consciously read this post when I knew I shouldn’t have! 😜🤪🤓

Fortunately, 2 lines of my posts have the equivalent knowledge of 20 lines of an average post. ;)
    It works like a picture is equal to 1000 words, a Driver100 line is equal to 10 average lines.