Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Edmunds Members - Cars and Conversations

Comments

• driver100driver100 Member Posts: 31,964
    bwia said:

Cadillac to discontinue the gasoline version of the CT4-V Blackwing. Who knows, it might return as an electric variant but for now it and the CT5-V Blackwing are headed the way way of the Dodo bird.

I somehow don't think there will be too many tears shed over that one! :)

2017 MB E400 , 2015 MB GLK350, 2014 MB C250

• bwiabwia Member Posts: 2,913
    edited August 2021

Here is the Car & Driver link to the Cadillac CT4-V blackwing story.
    https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/a37231731/2022-cadillac-ct4-v-blackwing-drive/

edited August 2021
    bwia said:

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/a37231731/2022-cadillac-ct4-v-blackwing-drive/

The car seems impressive but I have to ask myself, "What could possibly go wrong?". This car has a lot of technology and moving parts....and a lot is pretty new. Since it is the end of the line does GM worry whether buyers will be satisfied with their purchase.
    The black interior is a bit depressing, it needs something to liven it up;

• ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,024
    bwia said:

That doesn't say it is discontinued. It repeats Cadillac's stated position that they will be going all-electric at some future point, which is old news. If that doesn't go so well, they could be making these for a long time. ;)

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• jmonroe1jmonroe1 Member Posts: 7,460
    ab348 said:

bwia said:

That doesn't say it is discontinued. It repeats Cadillac's stated position that they will be going all-electric at some future point, which is old news. If that doesn't go so well, they could be making these for a long time. ;)
    And hopefully with enough sales to keep it going but with Caddy’s track record I don’t know how. Maybe our poster buddy @graphicguy will give them ONE more chance.

jmonroe
    '15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
    I think I mentioned that I was going to Myrtle Beach this week with the family. Very nice and warm BTW. I decided to go into the pool first rather than go right to the ocean. I should have gone right to the beach. Here’s why:

While in the pool one of the most over weight unattractive women I’ve ever seen comes waddling towards me. She’s covered front and back with tattoos like she really needs to draw attention to herself. I heard someone say, “wow, would you look at that” ? It was a middle aged guy talking to his wife (I think). She gives him the shush sign then says, “keep your voice down”. Then proceeds to say, “you should have seen her trying to get down those steps to get into the pool”. Glad I also missed that spectacle.

Now I have to find a way to scrub what I did see out of my memory bank. HELP. :'(

jmonroe
    '15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
  • abacomikeabacomike Member Posts: 12,254

Before there will ever be a truly significant uptick in the sale and commensurate production of EV’s, a major public investment in EV charging stations throughout the entire country coupled with significant private investment in charging capabilities in communities and cities is a prerequisite to the success of the entire EV growth initiative.

People who own private homes already have a means to charge EV’s, but what about the populous who live in apartments and condos? I live in a community of over 5000 people who have no means of charging an EV. The cost of setting up charging stations at each building could run into the millions of dollars for the HOA if you include the necessary wiring and increased parking spaces necessary. Coordination between federal and local sources of capital investment and owner investment is essential if there is any hope of success for this endeavor nationally.

I would have purchased an EV instead of my G90 back in March if I had a means of charging it. I am a perfect candidate for an EV due to my short trips around town. I am all for a transition to EV’s, but the ability to charge an EV must be preceded by sufficient charging capabilities. Why produce millions of EV’s if the consumer cannot easily charge their batteries?

2021 Genesis G90

ab348 said:

bwia said:

I think this is perhaps a clever marketing ploy. Give enthusiasts the impression that this is the last run for the Gasoline CT4-V Blackwing. This may encourage them to buy what they believe might become a "collector's item" and charge them mucho dollars for the privileges.
  • roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,312
    jmonroe1 said:

I think I mentioned that I was going to Myrtle Beach this week with the family. Very nice and warm BTW. I decided to go into the pool first rather than go right to the ocean. I should have gone right to the beach. Here’s why:

While in the pool one of the most over weight unattractive women I’ve ever seen comes waddling towards me. She’s covered front and back with tattoos like she really needs to draw attention to herself. I heard someone say, “wow, would you look at that” ? It was a middle aged guy talking to his wife (I think). She gives him the shush sign then says, “keep your voice down”. Then proceeds to say, “you should have seen her trying to get down those steps to get into the pool”. Glad I also missed that spectacle.

Now I have to find a way to scrub what I did see out of my memory bank. HELP. :'(

jmonroe

You should see some of our lucky contestants in criminal court; one particularly plump lady wore a t shirt that read,:
    "This is not a beer belly-
    It's a fuel tank for a sex machine!"

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 240,057
    bwia said:

ab348 said:

bwia said:

I think this is perhaps a clever marketing ploy. Give enthusiasts the impression that this is the last run for the Gasoline CT4-V Blackwing. This may encourage them to buy what they believe might become a "collector's item" and charge them mucho dollars for the privileges.
    What, like the ‘76 Eldorado was going to be “the last of the convertibles”?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

jmonroe1 said:

jmonroe

You should see some of our lucky contestants in criminal court; one particularly plump lady wore a t shirt that read,:
    That sounds like both of us should be in high gear looking for a good memory bank scrubber. :s

jmonroe
    Extreme driving in the desert. Pushing a Willis jeep. Don't try this at home.
    https://fb.watch/7fW-PJtRLR/
    abacomike said:

Before there will ever be a truly significant uptick in the sale and commensurate production of EV’s, a major public investment in EV charging stations throughout the entire country coupled with significant private investment in charging capabilities in communities and cities is a prerequisite to the success of the entire EV growth initiative.

People who own private homes already have a means to charge EV’s, but what about the populous who live in apartments and condos? I live in a community of over 5000 people who have no means of charging an EV. The cost of setting up charging stations at each building could run into the millions of dollars for the HOA if you include the necessary wiring and increased parking spaces necessary. Coordination between federal and local sources of capital investment and owner investment is essential if there is any hope of success for this endeavor nationally.

I would have purchased an EV instead of my G90 back in March if I had a means of charging it. I am a perfect candidate for an EV due to my short trips around town. I am all for a transition to EV’s, but the ability to charge an EV must be preceded by sufficient charging capabilities. Why produce millions of EV’s if the consumer cannot easily charge their batteries?

The only true way to solve this problem is to wait for technology to find a way to do this wirelessly.

That’s the best solution I could come up with. Too bad I’m not smart enough to know how to even start the ball rolling on this but maybe I’m smart enough to patent the idea. Remember where you heard this first.

jmonroe
  • oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,559
    abacomike said:

My boss told me that it cost $50k per charging station. You also need a credit card and a smart phone to access them. I foresee a time when travel by automobile will again be a privilege only for the well to do.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• snakeweaselsnakeweasel Member Posts: 19,290
    edited August 2021

@roadburner said:

One would think that people would be smart enough to present themselves in a good light if your going infront of a judge. Or are you saying that was her "Sunday go to meeting" best?

2011 Hyundai Sonata, 2014 BMW 428i convertible, 2015 Honda CTX700D

@Michaell said:
    What, like the ‘76 Eldorado was going to be “the last of the convertibles”?

Wasn't it until that meddling Iacocca came along?

@roadburner said:

One would think that people would be smart enogjt to present themselves in a good light if your going infront of a judge. Or are you saying that was her "Sunday go to meeting" best?

Funny that you mention that. One day an attorney had his chunky female client show up literally underdressed. I razzed him about it and he said, "I told her to wear her Sunday best. I guess for her that means to wear a bra with her tube top."

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

@bwia said:
    Extreme driving in the desert. Pushing a Willis jeep. Don't try this at home.
    https://fb.watch/7fW-PJtRLR/

Wouldn't extreme driving in the desert for a Willis Jeep had been pushing the Germans across North Africa?

@jmonroe1 said:
    The only true way to solve this problem is to wait for technology to find a way to do this wirelessly.

That’s the best solution I could come up with. Too bad I’m not smart enough to know how to even start the ball rolling on this but maybe I’m smart enough to patent the idea. Remember where you heard this first.

jmonroe

I remember, it was back in high school where I was listening to a lecture about Nikola Tesla. So I guess you're a little late.

• ventureventure Member Posts: 2,860
    I stopped at Lowes to get some paint for the porch steps since there was a 0% chance of precipitation.

2020 Ascent Limited, 2024 Subaru Legacy Sport

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,432
    we are looking at new houses now. Told the wife that among the various extras I would add is a 240 outlet in the garage where I would put a home charger if I ever got an EV. Just to be prepared!

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

abacomike said:

Why produce millions of EV’s if the consumer cannot easily charge their batteries?
    Just ask, very simple solution, every unit owner buys a long extension cord;

• Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,952
    Now that looks ridiculous! And betting it'll take a good 10 hours to fill it up with electricity!

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

@driver100 said:

Is the tape measure mandatory?

We went up Northern Kentucky yesterday to visit some of my wife's family and check out the county fair. On the way home we ended up stuck on I-71 for five hours. I knew it was a fatal about 2 hours in as it takes a while for the accident reconstruction team to process the scene- I've taken a couple of courses on it and it is an involved process. It seems s Corvette clipped a Mini Cooper and went on to hit the guardrail. I didn't see the Corvette, but the impact damage to the guardrail was impressive. From the "Too Stupid to Breathe" file, the dimwits in the SUV in front of me fell asleep; Rather than blow the horn when traffic started moving I drove quietly around them, as did several cars behind me; I figured that they needed their rest...

@driver100 said:

Probably. If you don’t have a volt meter to check the voltage drop of that set up, you gotta improvise for that too. That guy is on the ball.

jmonroe
  • Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,952
    Seriously, y'all were held up for 5 hours in traffic? Wow, that's impressive. Think the longest I've ever been in was a good couple of hours on Alligator Alley back in 2013 going from Ft. Lauderdale to Tampa on a Sunday afternoon. There were 12 of us bringing rentals to the airport and around mile marker 86, we got stopped. Folks around us ll got out and started throwing a football around. It was a hot afternoon and luckily, a bunch of us drivers were stuck near each other, so we got out and just bullshitted for the duration. It was obvious by the amount of emergency vehicles that passed us that this was a major accident. About 2 hours later, we started moving again.
    But, your 5 hours is a new record for me to hear of!

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

• tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,849
    I was stuck on the Schuylkill expressway once for 8 hours in a snowstorm. That was fun. I was only 25 miles from home the whole time.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,132
    edited August 2021

It seems s Corvette clipped a Mini Cooper and went on to hit the guardrail. I didn't see the Corvette, but the impact damage to the guardrail was impressive.

Caused by a Corvette cited as being from Dayton, Ohio, area.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

jmonroe1 said:

@driver100 said:

Probably. If you don’t have a volt meter to check the voltage drop of that set up, you gotta improvise for that too. That guy is on the ball.

jmonroe

We have our own little Scotty right here!

It seems s Corvette clipped a Mini Cooper and went on to hit the guardrail. I didn't see the Corvette, but the impact damage to the guardrail was impressive.

Watch out for those drivers from Dayton!

@imidazol97 said:

I can’t figure out how it happened. The Corvette driver had to get things really crossed up to whack that guardrail so hard.

• imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,132
    When I first looked for this info on duckduckgo.com, one source said the Corvette clipped the rear of the Mini causing the Vette to careen into the guardrail. Now I can't find any of the sources in my search that say that. (corvette fatal I71 kentucky)

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

Today I was on the entrance ramp ready to speed up to get on the highway and there is tire debris and twisted metal parts in the entrance lane. I had to almost stop, let a semi go by, and when it was all clear move directly onto the highway. Up ahead about 100 yards there was a truck at the side of the road with an older looking RV type trailer attached..........uneven as the flat tire must have been on the passenger side.
    That guy is not going to have a pleasant afternoon...change the tire and maybe replace some metal from the wheel well area of his trailer....and it will feel like 97F soon.

• andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,729
    edited August 2021

Do insurance companies pay damage claims as a result of reckless driving or excessive speed?
    I don't think we ever got an answer to this question. I am not sure but I think, from what I am looking up, there is careless driving - which is when someone makes a mistake and causes damage, and then there is reckless driving - which happens when the driver should have known better and does something he should not have been doing, such as driving under the influence, or racing etc.
    From my understanding (which might not mean a lot) you are covered in cases of careless driving, you made an accidental mistake, but if it can be proven you did something reckless, or were driving while intoxicated, your insurance company probably won't pay for damage you have done.
    Something to consider, if tempted to race someone or go around a corner too fast when it has been raining.

It boils down to this, what does the policy say? And how will the courts interpret what it says.

Most people that say they will sue are bluffing, as proven by how few actually sue insurance companies. This is what it all boils down to actually, cold-hearted calculations on the likelihood you'll put the policy language to the test; they already know they are fighting a losing war, but they know you might go AWOL before the war is over. Maybe encouraged with $1,000 nuisance money.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
    driver100 said:

Do insurance companies pay damage claims as a result of reckless driving or excessive speed?
    I don't think we ever got an answer to this question. I am not sure but I think, from what I am looking up, there is careless driving - which is when someone makes a mistake and causes damage, and then there is reckless driving - which happens when the driver should have known better and does something he should not have been doing, such as driving under the influence, or racing etc.
    From my understanding (which might not mean a lot) you are covered in cases of careless driving, you made an accidental mistake, but if it can be proven you did something reckless, or were driving while intoxicated, your insurance company probably won't pay for damage you have done.
    Something to consider, if tempted to race someone or go around a corner too fast when it has been raining.
    What about texting while driving? What about looking at your phone? What about having the phone in your hand? What about talking on the phone (distracted?)?

What about talking to a passenger in your car? What about looking at a paper map? What about yelling at the kids in the back seat? what about rubber necking that cute lady walking down the road? What about reading the Burma Shave signs?

**********************************************************************************
    (my intelligent comments below)

Those are normal natural things you do.....that are careless. Reckless would be racing someone, driving while intoxicated, going around a corner at 80 mph in a 50 mph zone when the roads are icy...maybe. It depends on the evidence presented, you'd even have to prove over the limit if dui. Reckless is making a conscious decision to do something that you really should not be doing.

I don't normally or naturally text while driving. I must admit I've used the talk-to-text Siri feature. Shouldn't do that, but it's not texting while driving in the sense that it is normally defined.

Wouldn't anything anyone personally never does then be defined as reckless by them personally? Based on your explanation, I think the answer is yes. It's the only real distinction you've made between careless and reckless.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion

@roadburner said:

One would think that people would be smart enough to present themselves in a good light if your going infront of a judge. Or are you saying that was her "Sunday go to meeting" best?

You mean my "F da POLICE!" T-Shirt might have cost me that traffic trial verdict????

Dang it, you learn something new every day. :smile:
    andres3 said:

driver100 said:

What about texting while driving? What about looking at your phone? What about having the phone in your hand? What about talking on the phone (distracted?)?

What about talking to a passenger in your car? What about looking at a paper map? What about yelling at the kids in the back seat? what about rubber necking that cute lady walking down the road? What about reading the Burma Shave signs?

**********************************************************************************

Wouldn't anything anyone personally never does then be defined as reckless by them personally? Based on your explanation, I think the answer is yes. It's the only real distinction you've made between careless and reckless.
    To be clear:
    Careless Driving – Traffic violations that fall under this category are considered hazardous, negligent and unsafe according to CarInsurance.com. When a driver operates their vehicle carelessly, they are driving in such a way that could cause damage to person or property. CarInsurance.com uses running a red light or driving over the speed limit as examples of careless driving. When someone receives a ticket for careless driving, the crime isn’t considered as severe as it would be if they were accused of reckless driving.
    Reckless Driving – Someone accused of reckless driving could be in serious trouble. The biggest difference between the terms “careless” and “reckless” comes from the motive behind the hazardous, negligent or unsafe driving. Someone driving recklessly has the intent to harm person or property, whereas the careless driver does not. The reckless driver is fully aware that they are driving in a hazardous manner but chooses to proceed anyway; there is a “wonton disregard” for the law and for the safety of those around them, according to FindLaw.com. Most states, as well as insurance companies, view reckless driving as a serious traffic violation

I can tell you I have it on good authority that the CHP (California Highway Patrol) might have the best definition for reckless driving. Typically, it requires 3 consecutive or simultaneous vehicle code violations.

Driving 200 MPH in your Audi R8, that's just an infraction for 100+ violation. No need to cry over spilled milk.

Driving 200 MPH while making unsafe lane changes, tailgating, and/or passing on the shoulder, well, now you have 3 or more consecutive/simultaneous violations that constitute reckless driving charges.

@andres3 said:
    I can tell you I have it on good authority that the CHP (California Highway Patrol) might have the best definition for reckless driving. Typically, it requires 3 consecutive or simultaneous vehicle code violations.

Driving 200 MPH in your Audi R8, that's just an infraction for 100+ violation. No need to cry over spilled milk.

Driving 200 MPH while making unsafe lane changes, tailgating, and/or passing on the shoulder, well, now you have 3 or more consecutive/simultaneous violations that constitute reckless driving charges.

So, when are you up for parole?

jmonroe

andres3 said:

Maybe it is just me but I think driving at 200 mph in an Audi R8 qualifies, " The reckless driver is fully aware that they are driving in a hazardous manner but chooses to proceed anyway".

jmonroe1 said:

@andres3 said:

jmonroe

Do they allow you to email posts from prison?

driver100 said:

jmonroe1 said:

@andres3 said:

jmonroe

Do they allow you to email posts from prison?

It sure looks like it.

jmonroe
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,250
    Hey, how about the history of lawns and lawn maintenance?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ozQSNdPzD48
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert

@explorerx4 said:
    Hey, how about the history of lawns and lawn maintenance?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ozQSNdPzD48

That's what I've been doing wrong, I haven't been mowing my lawn in a top hat and tails.

• qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,889
    edited August 2021
    very very weird.
    Today, what would be my parents' 52nd anniversary, we got their final income tax refund.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• ronsteveronsteve Member Posts: 1,190

From the (potentially) reckless driving files… I was heading north on I-65 through Indiana the other day, about 15 miles short of Lafayette. Traffic seemed to have randomly slowed to about 60 mph for posted construction, but with no lane closures. Then as people in front of me started to get back on it, I happened to see a Camry in my mirror losing it’s bumper cover in the passing lane, and the doing a quick spin across the road. No idea how the Escape (the car I remembered being just behind me) missed hitting the Camry, nor how fast the Camry was coming up to lose it like that.

2015 Acura RDX AWD / 2013 VW Jetta 2.5SE
  • oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,559
    edited August 2021
    stickguy said:

we are looking at new houses now. Told the wife that among the various extras I would add is a 240 outlet in the garage where I would put a home charger if I ever got an EV. Just to be prepared!

I finally got to drive our Kona EV today. It was quick. It felt about as fast as a Mustang ecoboost even though the magazines say it’s a second slower at least. The only problem I noticed was that it couldn’t put all that torque down to the road with only FWD. every time I put down the pedal, the wheels would spin, including the time I gave it full throttle at 40mph.

With the AC blasting away the advertised 260 mile range was reduced to 236. I asked the returning customer how she liked it and she said it was fine but took 8 hours to get a full charge at the station at her hotel.

It’s a nice little car with about the same horsepower as the Hyundai turbo 1.6L. I wonder what they lease for?

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,432
    that kind of range could work for me. Depending on where I move to and what kind of driving I will be doing! Actually an F150 Lighting could solve all the needs (other than being cheap).

Maverick Hybrid, next best option!

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.