Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• mjfloyd1mjfloyd1 Member Posts: 3,220

But you neglect the extra stops for gas because you are going faster. I guess that is another break

• xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,756

So to get OEM Mopar replacement is $700 including tax installed. Definitely not worth going through insurance given my $500 deductible. To go with Gorilla Glass is $1000 installed and insurance won't reimburse for that. Thoughts?

Well, after you install the Gorilla glass, will they pay if you later must replace it? If yes, then I'd go with that. Not a horrible way to correct a past mistake.
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • sdasda Member Posts: 6,934
    Out of curiosity I checked several dealers that normally have 100+ in inventory. A large Honda dealer where I bought the 13 Accord has zero Accords and 2 Civics. The VW dealer I normally buy from and use for service for the Passat has zero Jettas.

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,434
    someday I will have to bite the bullet and wade back into the swamp. Need to plan carefully! This really might be a time to lease to buy.

as to doors, I don't care that 2 big doors weigh less than 4 smaller ones. Just that the front doors are a lot shorter and lighter on the 4 door car, making them much more convenient.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,236
    sda said:

Out of curiosity I checked several dealers that normally have 100+ in inventory. A large Honda dealer where I bought the 13 Accord has zero Accords and 2 Civics. The VW dealer I normally buy from and use for service for the Passat has zero Jettas.

It's pretty bad, from what I can tell. Base model work trucks seem to still be available. You can probably choose from a handful of Camry/Corollas and Ford EcoSports and the like, but the more popular stuff, not so much. Last I checked, my nearest Ford dealer had a couple of Escapes, an Edge, and no Explorers in stock. The Ford dealers had been putting up vehicles that were scheduled to arrive soon as part of their inventory, but seem to have stopped. I am glad I don't need a car right now.
    Looking at the Venza since @sb55 just bought one. I've seen one in person, and for whatever reason, I really dislike the design of the wheels on the XLE and Limited trims. The (smaller) ones on the LE look better to me.

I like the performance of the RAV4 Prime, but not for $10,000 more than a non-plug-in RAV4 hybrid!

Also, I have grown to like the digital gas gauge in my Prius, as well as the ones in the older Jettas, some Nissans, etc., that have eight to ten segments that illuminate instead of being a continuously variable analog gauge. Reminds me of an old school video game.
  • MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 240,060
    corvette said:

Looking at the Venza since @sb55 just bought one. I've seen one in person, and for whatever reason, I really dislike the design of the wheels on the XLE and Limited trims. The (smaller) ones on the LE look better to me.

I like the performance of the RAV4 Prime, but not for $10,000 more than a non-plug-in RAV4 hybrid!

Also, I have grown to like the digital gas gauge in my Prius, as well as the ones in the older Jettas, some Nissans, etc., that have eight to ten segments that illuminate instead of being a continuously variable analog gauge. Reminds me of an old school video game.

My Jetta had that gauge. I liked it, as well.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

• qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,889

I can’t overlook its glaring and biggest flaw.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

qbrozen said:

What have I missed?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

I like that body style. But would want a stick of course! Not that I could deal with a RHD car over here.

What the heck are those gizmos on the trunk?

stickguy said:

I like that body style. But would want a stick of course! Not that I could deal with a RHD car over here.

What the heck are those gizmos on the trunk?

I was wondering the same thing.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Michaell said:

qbrozen said:

What have I missed?

a clutch?

stickguy said:

Michaell said:

qbrozen said:

What have I missed?
    a clutch?

I would be ok with the automatic. Certainly not a DD, just a fun toy.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

• fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,092
    edited August 2021
    Not sure if I missed any description, but I suspect it is also a JDM import - I am pretty sure that model wasn't imported in the grey market here then (no official G imports here in the 90s). Steering wheel has been replaced if the year is correct, I hate the wheels, not a fan of that headliner or the painted wiper arms, mirrors are 2012+ I think, not sure about that ebay-looking "AMG" plaque, but it looks fine otherwise. Price is near the depreciation floor for Gs, even miled up ones in decent shape still hit 25K with ease.
    Michaell said:
  • tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,849

My garage would be very difficult with two door vehicles, unless they were much narrower than my current rides.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,188
    corvette said:

I think the RAV4 Prime comes with a $7500 Federal tax credit, if you are buying.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,889

@Michaell said:
    I would be ok with the automatic. Certainly not a DD, just a fun toy.

I don’t know about the “fun” part with the slushbox

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

A DD auto is ok. But a toy, has to be a stick.

• ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,027
    More launch problems for Ford related to the Bronco and its removable roof. This was reported by Automotive News:

Ford Motor Company said Thursday that all Bronco SUV molded color hardtop roofs manufactured so far need to be replaced. This delays production and delivery to the owner by several months.

In a letter to the customer, the automaker suffers from quality issues where both two-door and four-door Broncos molded color hardtops produce “insufficient appearance when exposed to extreme water and humidity.” The automaker said it didn’t expect the roof to be replaced until October.

A Ford spokesman confirmed the first letter posted on the Bronco 6G Forum.

The news shows the escalation of the problem with roof supplier Webasto. Ford said in March two roof options — “Modular paint” hardtop and “dual roof” — will be postponed until the 2022 model. The molded color roof was the only hardtop available at launch, in addition to the soft top.

The owner forum is lively and complains about roof issues shortly after delivery. Others said their Broncos were built a few weeks ago, but were sitting a lot around the Michigan assembly plant for unknown reasons.

Video posted on Bronco 6G Forum Thousands of Broncos were seen sitting around the factory in Wayne, Michigan this week.

In a letter on Thursday, Ford stated that the oldest unit would be the first priority to receive a replacement roof. “Before making new hardtop Broncos, we need to replace all the existing molded color hardtop roofs,” they told the customer.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

@kyfdx said:
    I think the RAV4 Prime comes with a $7500 Federal tax credit, if you are buying.

Ah, that would definitely lessen the blow. But, it’s kind of a thought experiment, if you consider availability. Toyota’s website even says availability is extremely limited in our area and suggests a regular RAV4 Hybrid instead.

corvette said:

@kyfdx said:

Ah, that would definitely lessen the blow. But, it’s kind of a thought experiment, if you consider availability. Toyota’s website even says availability is extremely limited in our area and suggests a regular RAV4 Hybrid instead.

Yeah. As I noted, his dealer in Dry Ridge said that might be the first one delivered in KY.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

@28firefighter - I assume the low priced gorilla glass was really for the regular windshield?

• jmonroe1jmonroe1 Member Posts: 7,460
    mjfloyd1 said:

@28firefighter - I assume the low priced gorilla glass was really for the regular windshield?

I’m thinking it’s for the lesser known monkey glass but it will deflect mosquitos without showing a dent.

jmonroe
    '15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
  • 28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,333

No the price was right but that supplier was out. They found another supplier for OEM Mopar Gorilla Glass for $800 installed. Coming tomorrow.

2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible

No the price was right but that supplier was out. They found another supplier for OEM Mopar Gorilla Glass for $800 installed. Coming tomorrow.

I notice the grocery always puts hamburger on sale, when they are out of it. ;)

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,729
    edited August 2021
    mjfloyd1 said:

But you neglect the extra stops for gas because you are going faster. I guess that is another break

That one is debatable though, because you are less likely to need a bathroom break if you get to your destination faster, and I usually handle my bathroom breaks when I need gas anyway. So if I didn't need gas, I'd still need a bathroom break.

Lastly, the gas savings from driving slower tend to be exaggerated, and they are not guaranteed.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
    edited August 2021

🤦‍♂️

You are talking about a two to four hour drive. I’m talking about a 1200 mile drive

Your getting there faster by speeding is not guaranteed either if you get pulled over for speeding or get in an accident…

• oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,559
    stickguy said:

someday I will have to bite the bullet and wade back into the swamp. Need to plan carefully! This really might be a time to lease to buy.

as to doors, I don't care that 2 big doors weigh less than 4 smaller ones. Just that the front doors are a lot shorter and lighter on the 4 door car, making them much more convenient.

It’s not looking good. The chip shortage combined with covid is still causing problems.

https://www.tennessean.com/story/money/cars/2021/08/10/nissan-plant-closure-chip-shortage-smyrna-tennessee/5562602001/

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

qbrozen said:

I know 100ish horsepower mated with an auto transmission. Should be a fun drive.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

qbrozen said:

I know 100ish horsepower mated with an auto transmission. Should be a fun drive.

Wait, this is the 2.7L V6, which I believe made 151HP.

I wouldn't use it as a canyon carver - the novelty of RHD would be cool enough, and the "H" badges on what was sold in the US as an Acura.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

kyfdx said:
    He’s truly on a search for a unicorn.

Michaell said:

qbrozen said:

I wouldn't use it as a canyon carver - the novelty of RHD would be cool enough, and the "H" badges on what was sold in the US as an Acura.

That pretty good for the time but it’s still less than my old Chrysler. But far be it from me to rain on a nostalgia parade. I mean, I’m riding around in a 21 year old Chrysler.😩 If it holds some special memories for you I say go for it. It probably would be cool to tool around in a period piece like that.

Michaell said:

qbrozen said:

That pretty good for the time but it’s still less than my old Chrysler. But far be it from me to rain on a nostalgia parade. I mean, I’m riding around in a 21 year old Chrysler.😩 If it holds some special memories for you I say go for it. It probably would be cool to tool around in a period piece like that.

No real special memories - I remember looking at a used one around the turn of the century, and I've always liked the styling, inside and out.

Just a well preserved example with RHD.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

I guess by now you’ve heard what happened when they were replacing the windshield in @tjc78’s Volvo over in the Cars and Conversations form. Tell the guy to keep his fingers away from all buttons especially the roof button.

jmonroe
    '15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
    kyfdx said:

I notice the grocery always puts hamburger on sale, when they are out of it. ;)
    I heard that too. B)

jmonroe

He’s truly on a search for a unicorn.

Might do okay on a one-owner used Prius like mine. $2,700 plus transfer tax, tags, and insurance less whatever it's worth in three months is likely to be cheaper than renting.

@jmonroe1 said:
    I guess by now you’ve heard what happened when they were replacing the windshield in @tjc78’s Volvo over in the Cars and Conversations form. Tell the guy to keep his fingers away from all buttons especially the roof button.

jmonroe

No roof buttons or safety nannies impacting this windshield!

@jmonroe1 said:

jmonroe

No roof buttons or safety nannies impacting this windshield!

I didn’t think so. I figured you cheaped out on the option packages. :D

jmonroe
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,373

I’m liking Acura’s styling once again. Starting to see more TLX & MDX on the road and really like them. The RDX is sharp. Even the 10 year old ILX remains a solid value in the lineup.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

edited August 2021

Not too cheap, not too expensive, juuussst right.

The TLX is a likely replacement to the S60 if the lease deals are decent next August.

• explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,250
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
    Interesting! Guessing a fancy restyled civic Si.

• benjaminhbenjaminh Member Posts: 6,311
    tjc78 said:

The TLX is a likely replacement to the S60 if the lease deals are decent next August.

Doesn't Volvo have great loyalty incentives? Any issues with the S60 that are bothering you?
    2018 Acura TLX 2.4 Tech 4WS (mine), 2018 Honda CR-V EX AWD (wife's)
  • benjaminhbenjaminh Member Posts: 6,311
    edited August 2021
    I think that's good news about the Integra. I wondered if they should have just brought back the Legend name for the new TLX. Would you consider a new Integra stickguy? Or do you want more of a cargo vehicle?

My spot checks of inventory at my local Honda dealer seem to indicate a slight easing of the chip shortage. A month or so ago almost every vehicle in stock was in single digits. Some still are, but things seem to be creeping up slightly. My guess is that stock will keep slowly creeping up, and then get a significant bump around November. Prices will still be high, but perhaps the craziness will ease a bit in December, and maybe even some good deals will be available then.

2018 Acura TLX 2.4 Tech 4WS (mine), 2018 Honda CR-V EX AWD (wife's)

@benjaminh said:
    Doesn't Volvo have great loyalty incentives? Any issues with the S60 that are bothering you?

I love the car but doubt I would get another one just because what is the point of leasing to roll into the same model again? I did that with my wife’s 2015 and 2017 Enclaves.

I will say one thing I’m not 100% sold on Volvo reliability. Twice now my sunroof has broken. They had to fix my steering wheel controls and now there are two recalls. My car just broke 10K miles.

This is already more work than my two Enclaves and Elantra combined.

Also my wife now telling me she really isn’t as thrilled with her XC as when she first got it. Claims that she preferred the more isolated drive of the Enclave. To compare the XC actually handles well compared to the numb steering the Enclave had.

• roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,312

My salesperson at BMW is looking into when the dealer ordering information for the G42 2er will become available as well a the SOP. I’m hoping that the RWD M240i will be available sooner than predicted- and that sunroof delete will still be available.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive