Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,439

“ Heading to the finger lakes tomorrow ”

Be sure to swing over to Keuka lake and stop at Bully Hill Winery. I hear they have a nice restaurant there now and the view is nice.

Be sure to swing over to Keuka lake and stop at Bully Hill Winery. I hear they have a nice restaurant there now and the view is nice.

Been there before. Including 25 years ago when it was a small place. And still a hippy operation.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

Sandy, I grew up just west of the TZ bridge. And felt the same about the wilderness on the ast side of the Hudson!

• andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,729
    xwesx said:

benjaminh said:

Glad I got my Michelins almost the first day of the Costco sale. Shortly after I got my set of CrossClimate2 tires they went out of stock in my size, and it's not clear if they are going to get them back in stock before the sale ends. Costco still has the Michelin Defender T + H in stock, which is no doubt still a good tire, but I don't think it's on the same level as the CC.

Those tires definitely piqued my interest, just given their rather non-traditional design if nothing else. How do you like them so far? Any good weather (rain, etc) to test them in yet?
    Costco's customer service is such that you get the deal if you put in the order during the stated time period; it doesn't matter if they don't ship/install yet; all that matters is when you put in the order.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
  • MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 240,145
    When we start quoting MTBF metrics, that’s not a good sign.

Harkens back to the days where everyone had a Stelvio.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

A Zero Vision zealot cited this article about how COVID proves "speed kills" opb.org/article/2021/08/08/pandemic-set-off-deadly-rise-in-speeding-that-hasn-t-stopped/

I'm really proud of my retort:

Quoting from your cited source link (a little English comprehension and critical reading skills needed here) "Traffic data indicates the higher death toll was related to higher average speeds in conjunction with more of those on the roads driving under the influence of drugs and alcohol and a slight decline in seatbelt use."

To clarify, the higher deaths are attributed to higher average speeds (with no evidence those are "speeders"), and from the few drivers there are out there, being drunk and being idiots without seat belts on!

Higher average speeds do not equal more speeders necessarily. It could mean that rush hour in LA moves along at 25 MPH instead of 1-5 MPH as was typical. It could mean rush hour in SF or Sacramento or San Diego moves along at the speed limit (on average) rather than 30 - 40 in heavy traffic periods prior to COVID.

It could mean there are more 100+ speed demons bringing up the average, but 99% are driving exactly the same, and furthermore, the 1% that are speed demons may or may not be responsible for the uptick in collisions deaths, but we don't really know without isolating some variables.

What we do know is that drunks and non seat belt wearers cause a lot of fatalities prior to COVID, during COVID, and will for certain continue to do so after COVID. And we do know your article blatantly and explicitly states drunks and lack of seat belt use are to blame for the increases.

So good it only got a thumbs down from the citer of the article, and no response.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
  • Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,953
    Breld, which Tesla are you guys getting? Is it the smallest one? If I did get one, that's the one I'd go for due to my size constraint.

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

• Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,953
    Looks like we're staying in South Florida for the time being. Our pharmacist daughter wants to transfer, but just to Boca Raton, the next town to our north. Guess she's passed on Orlando and has put in for a transfer. Said it would take about 6 months, so, guess we're going to stay. Now we must decide what to do next? Do we re-face the kitchen cabinets and install new counter tops? Probably need to finish the master bath and some of the flooring needs attention. And the driveway needs to be updated. Lots to do but will move slowly as not sure I'll get the go ahead like the guest bath to just "do it" and then get it done. The new stove has been put on hold until we sit down and figure things out here.
    Interesting how life changes due to others and their plans! Guess I haven't really processed it all yet but I'm not as unhappy as I thought I'd be!

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

• mlevinemlevine Member Posts: 581
    Next Lease
    Timing not good, but going to return lease. Looking at Volvo XC60 AWD and Atlas Cross Sport 3.6L SE with technology and 4 motion. Both vehicles at same dealership. Any thoughts about either vehicle appreciated.
    Both nice, not cheap.

So get whichever one you would rather drive for 3 years.

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,200
    mlevine said:

Next Lease
    Timing not good, but going to return lease. Looking at Volvo XC60 AWD and Atlas Cross Sport 3.6L SE with technology and 4 motion. Both vehicles at same dealership. Any thoughts about either vehicle appreciated.

How much room do you need? The Atlas seems like a larger vehicle, to me.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• au1994au1994 Member Posts: 3,356
    mlevine said:

Next Lease

A couple of people have been able to extend by 6 months. No guarantees of course but the market/inventory might be better by then.

2021 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4xe Granite Crystal over Saddle
    2024 Audi Q5 Premium Plus Daytona Gray over Beige
    2017 BMW X1 Jet Black over Mocha

• mjfloyd1mjfloyd1 Member Posts: 3,224
    edited September 2021

@andres3 said:
    A Zero Vision zealot cited this article about how COVID proves "speed kills" opb.org/article/2021/08/08/pandemic-set-off-deadly-rise-in-speeding-that-hasn-t-stopped/

Quoting from your cited source link (a little English comprehension and critical reading skills needed here) "Traffic data indicates the higher death toll was related to higher average speeds in conjunction with more of those on the roads driving under the influence of drugs and alcohol and a slight decline in seatbelt use."

To clarify, the higher deaths are attributed to higher average speeds (with no evidence those are "speeders"), and from the few drivers there are out there, being drunk and being idiots without seat belts on!

Higher average speeds do not equal more speeders necessarily. It could mean that rush hour in LA moves along at 25 MPH instead of 1-5 MPH as was typical. It could mean rush hour in SF or Sacramento or San Diego moves along at the speed limit (on average) rather than 30 - 40 in heavy traffic periods prior to COVID.

It could mean there are more 100+ speed demons bringing up the average, but 99% are driving exactly the same, and furthermore, the 1% that are speed demons may or may not be responsible for the uptick in collisions deaths, but we don't really know without isolating some variables.

What we do know is that drunks and non seat belt wearers cause a lot of fatalities prior to COVID, during COVID, and will for certain continue to do so after COVID. And we do know your article blatantly and explicitly states drunks and lack of seat belt use are to blame for the increases.

So good it only got a thumbs down from the citer of the article, and no response.

I thought the Solomon curve showed that going more than 8 mph over the average speed leads to more crashes??? Is there new research???

• breldbreld Member Posts: 6,698

Breld, which Tesla are you guys getting? Is it the smallest one? If I did get one, that's the one I'd go for due to my size constraint.

@Sandman6472 - we got the Model Y (the small SUV). I pulled it into our "main" garage to charge it last night, and was surprised at how close in size it appears as compared to the Polestar. Tesla makes very efficient use of its interior space, so they feel very spacious while not taking up as much room as you may think.

2024 Audi Q8 e-tron - 2024 Corvette - 2024 BMW X5 - 2023 Tesla Model Y

• tifightertifighter Member Posts: 3,592
    breld said:

@Sandman6472 - we got the Model Y (the small SUV). I pulled it into our "main" garage to charge it last night, and was surprised at how close in size it appears as compared to the Polestar. Tesla makes very efficient use of its interior space, so they feel very spacious while not taking up as much room as you may think.
    I agree. The Y occupies the same footprint as the 3, but feels nearly as roomy as our X inside.

23 Civic Type-R / 22 MDX Type-S / 21 Tesla Y LR / 03 Montero Ltd

@stickguy - congrats on your order for the Maverick! I can't get over how affordable the truck is...not to mention you got a reasonable discount as well. For kicks, I just went and built one up on Ford's website, and it seems like ticking pretty much all boxes, you're still at around $36k. It's refreshing.

• 28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,334

@tifighter said:
    I agree. The Y occupies the same footprint as the 3, but feels nearly as roomy as our X inside.

Just like the Jeep. Hahahahhaha not.

2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible
  • sdasda Member Posts: 6,936
    tifighter said:

breld said:

You know the drill, pics please.

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

• carnaughtcarnaught Member Posts: 3,497
    edited September 2021
    breld said:

@stickguy - congrats on your order for the Maverick! I can't get over how affordable the truck is...not to mention you got a reasonable discount as well. For kicks, I just went and built one up on Ford's website, and it seems like ticking pretty much all boxes, you're still at around $36k. It's refreshing.

(start Jaws music)…..@breld, so which one is next to get the ax?

carnaught said:

breld said:

(start Jaws music)…..@breld, so which one is next to get the ax?

There's always a plan, with him .... I've been texting with him this morning on plans for the next 6-12 months.

Denver Auto Show is next week - at an outdoor facility. @breld, @jpp75 and I are already making plans to go.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

You mean next 6-12 days?

• jmonroe1jmonroe1 Member Posts: 7,466

You mean next 6-12 days?

Yeah, that’s more like it.

jmonroe
    '15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)

@breld embraces change

I really kid - I think if I had an enabling wife and the funds to do it (read, NOT spending a car equivalent in child care every year) I'd be changing cars just as frequently.
    edited September 2021
    mjfloyd1 said:

@andres3 said:

I thought the Solomon curve showed that going more than 8 mph over the average speed leads to more crashes??? Is there new research???

Where do you get that people are going more than 8 MPH over the average prevailing speed?

I think you are confusing relative speed differentials from the current/live average, with comparisons of average speed from different eras/eons/time periods/ages in history.

The Solomon Curve doesn't care how my Grandpa drove the same freeways 50 years ago as compared to what I drive them today.
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,373

So now we have 2 members with 2 electric car’s in their garage?

@mjfloyd1 - congrats on your 2nd 4Xe punch! @corvette - how are we doing for the year?

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

@andres3 said:
    Where do you get that people are going more than 8 MPH over the average prevailing speed?

I think you are confusing relative speed differentials from the current/live average, with comparisons of average speed from different eras/eons/time periods/ages in history.

The Solomon Curve doesn't care how my Grandpa drove the same freeways 50 years ago as compared to what I drive them today.

OK so the Solomon curve is no longer relevant because it is old data🤦‍♂️

8…impressive work

In case there was any question as to whether my son is mine, this is the collage he made today…

Only one BMWCCA catalog was harmed in the making of this collage.

This kid is going places. Guaranteed.

• sdasda Member Posts: 6,936
    breld said:

sda said:

tifighter said:

breld said:

You know the drill, pics please.
    Not sure if you were asking me for pics, but here is the plainest Model Y ever...no-charge white with no- charge black interior and no-charge base wheels.

Yes, I tagged the wrong post. Always fun to see what new toy you have in the driveway.

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

My 4xe’s were both purchases not leases

• qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,891

@breld said:
    Not sure if you were asking me for pics, but here is the plainest Model Y ever...no-charge white with no- charge black interior and no-charge base wheels.

So now that they are together, I’m guessing you are already thinking “why do we have two of the same car? That’s silly. We need to swap one out.”

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,237
    mjfloyd1 said:

My 4xe’s were both purchases not leases

Corrected. I'm also thinking I probably missed a punch or two.
    qbrozen said:

@breld said:

So now that they are together, I’m guessing you are already thinking “why do we have two of the same car? That’s silly. We need to swap one out.”

Did you miss the memo? That’s the plan, when the allroad for Mrs. @breld shows up.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

@qbrozen said:

@breld said:

Somebody has to keep the economy going :)

• qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,891

@Michaell said:
    Did you miss the memo? That’s the plan, when the allroad for Mrs. @breld shows up.

But that is SO FAR from now!

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• tifightertifighter Member Posts: 3,592
    You gotta love craigslist. I got an email saying, roughly, "Can I have the VIN to check insurance?" No other questions, no asking when they can see it, etc.

23 Civic Type-R / 22 MDX Type-S / 21 Tesla Y LR / 03 Montero Ltd

tifighter said:

You gotta love craigslist. I got an email saying, roughly, "Can I have the VIN to check insurance?" No other questions, no asking when they can see it, etc.

"If you have to ask, you probably cannot afford it."

@stickguy said:
    Breld, how do you charge the Tesla? Same charger you have for the polestar, with an adapter plug? Or just visit supercharger? Or just sell it first time it needs juice?

Adapter plug for now. I’m looking into getting another charger installed in the 3rd bay garage so we have options.

• benjaminhbenjaminh Member Posts: 6,311
    edited September 2021
    It's interesting that in an industry that's gone toward turbo (and even electric), Toyota is staying with naturally aspirated engines. Toyota's latest generation of ice motors are their Dynamic Force engines. Toyota's 2.5 engine for the Camry has both port and direct injection, and so my guess is that it might last twice as long as Honda's direct-injected turbo engines. Turbos just don't last as long. Maybe the new generations will be better, but I haven't yet seen a video of a turbo vehicle on youtube that's gone beyond 250k in the real world without major repairs. Maybe Honda's turbo engines will go to 200k or so, but Toyota's dual injected engines might have a shot at lasting twice as long. It's possible manufacturing costs are lower too, although by adding dual injection that would add to costs, and so I think it's more about durability. The port injection, of course, will prevent gunk from building up in the intake valves. I admire Toyota for going for maximum longevity for their engines, although the reality is that you'd need to drive something like 20k+ miles each year, and keep a car more than ten years, to really take advantage of that.

Overall, the Accord with the 1.5T gets 1 more mpg in the epa combined cycle than the Camry 2.5, but that doesn't seem like much. But the Accord's 0-60 time at 7.2 is a bit faster than the Camry's at 7.5. Engineering is often about trade offs, and Honda has gone for a slightly faster and more economical car, but seemingly has traded away long-term durability.

Ford has also moved to dual injection for some of its larger Ecoboost engines, which I think is also about making them last a really long time. Even if you need to replace the turbo on a dual injected Ecoboost at some point, the rest of the engine should be fine and shouldn't have any carbon build-up.

Below is a 5-minute video from Engineering Explained about Toyota's dynamic force engines.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wwLxxZm_LRQ
    2018 Acura TLX 2.4 Tech 4WS (mine), 2018 Honda CR-V EX AWD (wife's)
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,200
    I don't think I've ever seen a Model Y on the road.

I'm pretty sure @pensfan83 has a recent punch, but he hasn't been on, in a while.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator