Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,905

@stickguy said:
    if I end up with another basement when I move, if it isn't already finished, I would do a mini job. Put down a vinyl flooring, with a few cheap throw rugs. Paint the ceiling black (joists, etc.). And paint the walls white. And don't put anything down there worth much. Just the exercise stuff and a TV on a stand.

that way you can still use it, but if it gets wet, no big deal.

When the house was built they did the basement up. Full bathroom, all finished with carpet and a section of cabinets with a granite top and bar sink. If it ever floods I’m screwed. It is fully French drained with a sump pump which virtually never runs, so fingers crossed.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,418

stickguy said:

if I end up with another basement when I move, if it isn't already finished, I would do a mini job. Put down a vinyl flooring, with a few cheap throw rugs. Paint the ceiling black (joists, etc.). And paint the walls white. And don't put anything down there worth much. Just the exercise stuff and a TV on a stand.

Or maybe build on a hill with no streams nearby.
    +1

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

mjfloyd1 said:

Would the waterproof vinyl that looks like wood work at all (after you get thoroughly dried out)?

That's something I'm going to look into.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,760

stickguy said:

Or maybe build on a hill with no streams nearby.
    That's no guarantee. Leaky basements can happen regardless of flood waters. Ground water, storm sewer backups, bad gutters, etc. If they only thing we had to worry about was floods, no big deal.

That said, 23 years here and still dry. ;)

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

corvette said:

mjfloyd1 said:

Would the waterproof vinyl that looks like wood work at all (after you get thoroughly dried out)?

I second this recommendation, it seems to be pretty indestructible.
    The Vinyl Plank Flooring is what you are talking about?

@kyfdx said:
    Yes... looks just like wood laminate, but flexible and waterproof. Don't be fooled by wood laminates that say they are waterproof. They aren't.

Dumb question that I already know the answer to, but the concrete needs to be level underneath, correct?

• corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,262
    nyccarguy said:

Dumb question that I already know the answer to, but the concrete needs to be level underneath, correct?

Yes, but they make a floor leveling compound you can put down if it's not. You can also get sheet vinyl that looks like wood--most of it is less textured and less convincing than the vinyl plank stuff, but it's also extremely durable. Less DIY-friendly, but a pro can glue it down pretty quickly.
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,513
    Use the vinyl engineered planks that float. Helps even out for any dips. But yes, first use some self leveling stuff to even it out.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,348

@nyccarguy said:

That’s what we are going to use to replace the basement carpet. We have a weird leak issue. Several tiles in the drop ceiling are stained but the upper floors are fine. No plumbing issues either.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

@nyccarguy said:

That’s what we are going to use to replace the basement carpet. We have a weird leak issue. Several tiles in the drop ceiling are stained but the upper floors are fine. No plumbing issues either.

I had that issue. Turned out to just be a pipe sweating.

• ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,081
    stickguy said:

@nyccarguy said:

I had that issue. Turned out to just be a pipe sweating.

Geez, Stick, don't work that pipe so hard! Poor thing. :D

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,646

@nyccarguy said:

Just stop popping those Champagne corks every time you buy a new car and you’ll be fine. :p

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,729
    stickguy said:

Use the vinyl engineered planks that float. Helps even out for any dips. But yes, first use some self leveling stuff to even it out.

That self leveling stuff is expensive when they have to use like 25 bags of it in your small house. Talk about blowing the original flooring estimate budget!
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
    Basement should be easier. Don’t have to be as exact. And can spot use it for the really bad spots.

• jmonroe1jmonroe1 Member Posts: 7,543
    mjfloyd1 said:
    That poor guy gets blamed for everything. But, that’s what happens when you set the bar. :(

jmonroe
    '15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,933

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• jpp75jpp75 Member Posts: 1,535
    mjfloyd1 said:
    Actually @breld and I both have reservations for one, but I have to admit my interest has waned in the last few months. Lots of poor communication from the company coupled with enjoying the Defender much more than I expected has cooled my enthusiasm. I'll still keep my reservation, but we'll see if I actually take delivery when my turn in line comes up.
  • au1994au1994 Member Posts: 3,380

2021 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4xe Granite Crystal over Saddle
    2024 Audi Q5 Premium Plus Daytona Gray over Beige
    2017 BMW X1 Jet Black over Mocha

stickguy said:

Basement should be easier. Don’t have to be as exact. And can spot use it for the really bad spots.

Up here a bag of self-leveling is about $30 Cdn. That does 40 sq ft at 1/8" thickness. So you will use a lot of it if there is a lot of uneven slab to deal with.

• 28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,385

Purely academic.

2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible, 2015 Audi Q5 TDI
  • breldbreld Member Posts: 6,710
    @jpp75 joined my wife and I at the Denver Auto Show this afternoon (@michaell unfortunately was not able to make it).

“Auto Show” is a bit of an overstatement. Given the environment, it was held outdoors at an amusement park parking lot, after skipping last year. All of about 6 manufacturers were represented - Jeep, Dodge, Toyota, Lincoln, Ford and Kia. Jeep did have their usual driving experience set up and there was an area promoting electric.

Sadly, these shows seemed to be somewhat on the decline prior to the pandemic, and I think this may simply signal the end…at least the insignificant ones in places like Denver.

I did snap a few pics to share, though there’s nothing all that interesting…a pic of the Maverick (for @stickguy and others interested in the truck)…the new Jeep products were impressive…a GT version of the Mach E…and a Bronco and Bronco Sport.

2024 Audi Q8 e-tron - 2024 Corvette - 2024 BMW X5 - 2023 Tesla Model Y

thanks for thinking of me! I assume you couldn't get into it?

kinda looks bigger than I think it really is in pictures. Can't wait to see one in person!

And that grand Wagoneer, especially the black one, is huge and really ugly from the side. The whole back end is oversized, awkward, and IMO unattractive.

so it will probably sell like gang busters!

Really like that dark red color on the Maverick. Unfortunately, I don't think it's available on the XL, although a premium looking color like that might look odd combined with the pedestrian steel wheels on the XL.
    it is nice. That might be the first edition specific red.

• MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,012
    I wanted to go, but I took a COVID test today and it will be a few days before I get the results.

Looks like I didn’t miss that much.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,968
    Walked out earlier tonight and saw the lift off of the folks going into space. Since we live southwest of Orlando, was easy to look to the northeast and did see it going up. It was truly spectacular to watch it go farther up into the atmosphere. Had seen a launch in the mid 80's, a daytime one, from a condo building on my mail route in Boca Raton Florida and it was easy to see and pretty cool. Tonight's launch was easier to see & much cooler!

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

Drove a brand new Kia Niro EV today at work and it drives like a regular vehicle as I was able to use both the accelerator to go forward and the brakes to stop it. No having to feather the accelerator to move the vehicle and it doesn't stop like a rock when one gets off the gas pedal. Was a much more normal way to drive and think I could get used to it very quickly. It stickered for just over $41K which is a bit too pricey for what one gets, thinking it should be priced much lower, somewhere in the mid to upper $20's to be honest! Most folks can't afford the entry price of that much to be honest. It did drive nicely and the size was about perfect for my needs but again, the price would drive me away to be honest.

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

I think the Wagoneer would look better in a lighter color without black wheels.

Saw those Jetta alloys on OfferUp and really do like them. Asking $180 for the set and not sure if they'd take my current ones for a trade or not. Would think I could trade mine and have them mount & balance the tires and call it even but will have to stop by one day soon & see what I can work out. Would have to see them in person to see their condition and all but they'd definitely give my Golf a whole different look which I think I'd like. Spend a little bit to change the looks and all and make me fall in love with it all over again. Think they came off a 2019 Jetta SEL and ad says they're 17" Jetta wheels so should fit my Golf since my current alloys are off a 2015 Jetta.
    An inexpensive way to change the looks a bit, definitely something I'd like to do. I know the wife will think it's a dumb idea but I think it's a great idea honestly. Be like driving a newer model VW!

edited September 2021
    tifighter said:

Um, I might have a reservation too. Y'know, for research purposes.

:D

I know the Bellevue "service center" is pretty much open, the location here in Denver is being renovated but likely has a few months to go before it's ready. Early reviews from Motor Trend have been very favorable but I'm more interested in some real world reviews from owners and some of the more tolerable YouTube personalities.

In the end I'll overlook the issues I have with the company and focus on the vehicle. I think I shared on here a while back that after a couple of trips this summer to more remote parts of Colorado I'm mainly rethinking if I want to live with some of the sacrifices that will be required as a (somewhat) early adopter of EVs when it comes to road trips. Granted the R1S is rated at 316 miles, but if you get too far off the interstates you really have to be judicious about where you're going, how you'll charge, etc. Certainly doesn't hurt to have the Defender as the alternative. First world problems for sure.
    As @breld mentioned the auto show was very different from years past but still an enjoyable event. Toyota did have the Corolla Cross whatever, seems like a decent alternative but IIRC the one they had was priced a bit over $30k which seems like a lot for any type of Corolla.

The Grand Wagoneer is definitely huge, will probably compete well with the Navigator.

As for the Maverick, it was on a platform and not accessible but I found the size to be the goldilocks....not to small but not too big. If Ford doesn't bungle the launch (big if these days) I can see it being quite a hit. @stickguy and others who have a reservation, I think you'll be happy with it.

All in all a good day with @breld and mrs. @breld!

I really like the Maverick in red. I saw a Black Mach E on the way home the other night. Very nice looking car.

Hoovie's latest video is of the restored K5 Blazer his parents recently purchased. That thing is gorgeous--shame about the fluid leaks and the very badly misaligned driver's door, as it otherwise looks pretty amazing.
    I watched that too. At least easy fixes.

edited September 2021
    The more I see the Maverick, the more I like it.

I’ve seen other pics of the Wagoneer and it looks much better in a different color combo. I don’t care for that blacked out one though. The interior is incredible.

Grand Cherokee L is pretty nice looking too.

I’ve noticed a couple of Mach E’s around. Pretty nice and one was hauling the mail when it passed me.

Forgot to mention I saw a Santa Cruz on the road Sunday. Like the Maverick, bigger than I thought but still a nice size. This one was black over black which isn’t a favorite. I’d lean towards the Maverick.

Walked out earlier tonight and saw the lift off of the folks going into space. Since we live southwest of Orlando, was easy to look to the northeast and did see it going up. It was truly spectacular to watch it go farther up into the atmosphere. Had seen a launch in the mid 80's, a daytime one, from a condo building on my mail route in Boca Raton Florida and it was easy to see and pretty cool. Tonight's launch was easier to see & much cooler!

I saw a space shuttle launch from my hotel in Orlando back in 1995 while visiting Disney. I was surprised that you could see it from that far away.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

edited September 2021
    breld said:

@jpp75 joined my wife and I at the Denver Auto Show this afternoon (@michaell unfortunately was not able to make it).

“Auto Show” is a bit of an overstatement. Given the environment, it was held outdoors at an amusement park parking lot, after skipping last year. All of about 6 manufacturers were represented - Jeep, Dodge, Toyota, Lincoln, Ford and Kia. Jeep did have their usual driving experience set up and there was an area promoting electric.

Sadly, these shows seemed to be somewhat on the decline prior to the pandemic, and I think this may simply signal the end…at least the insignificant ones in places like Denver.

I did snap a few pics to share, though there’s nothing all that interesting…a pic of the Maverick (for @stickguy and others interested in the truck)…the new Jeep products were impressive…a GT version of the Mach E…and a Bronco and Bronco Sport.

So the Mach E GT is out? Is that the performance version? I always though that would be the one I’d lease.

Yes that Maverick looks big. Almost like a Ranger.

corvette said:

Hoovie's latest video is of the restored K5 Blazer his parents recently purchased. That thing is gorgeous--shame about the fluid leaks and the very badly misaligned driver's door, as it otherwise looks pretty amazing.

I wonder how much metal fab and Bondo is underneath that shiny paint. Those Blazers weren’t as rust prone as Broncos but they got Swiss cheesy pretty quick.

• qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,933

I have an appt next week for the Benz. Let’s see what kind of damage this can do to a wallet.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

Hey @qbrozen, did you get the tires put on the Jeep yet?

• dad23dad23 Member Posts: 870
    edited September 2021
    Thanks for sharing @breld, we had talked about getting down there mainly for the change in venue, but looks like we're good to forgo it this year. Was it crowded at all? Are the GC and GW pretty similar in size? We've been contemplating another SUV for my wife as one of the boys has taken her car as his go to wheels. I had mentioned a new 4Runner (if we could find one) but she said she'd like something nicer ;)
    Looks like embargo might be lifted. Or this guy jumped the gun. Just parking lot stuff but interesting. Also shows how low it is compared to a lot of trucks.

Looking forward to seeing a real roadtest review

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XIY_7pi9mtk

I think you’ll like the versatility of the Maverick. Great size IMO. Big enough to actually get stuff done but not a barge.

edited September 2021
    stickguy said:

Looks like embargo might be lifted. Or this guy jumped the gun. Just parking lot stuff but interesting. Also shows how low it is compared to a lot of trucks.

Well, I don't think this guy is in the upper echelon of automotive journalists :D so probably no worries there. Besides, he was a real bootlicker agreeable fellow who found nothing at all to be critical of, so Ford got their money's worth.

It actually might be a more than decent choice (door panels excepted which look awful) but as you said, we'll need to wait a while to get a balanced review.

Apparently not that long. Just got an email from Ford and my order has been scheduled to be built on 10/25, and they even supplied a VIN. So if that date happens, should arrive by Thanksgiving probably.

I was sure it wouldn’t arrive until next year. Probably because of getting the 2.0t instead of hybrid.