Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• breldbreld Member Posts: 6,698

breld said:

@jpp75 joined my wife and I at the Denver Auto Show this afternoon (@michaell unfortunately was not able to make it).

“Auto Show” is a bit of an overstatement. Given the environment, it was held outdoors at an amusement park parking lot, after skipping last year. All of about 6 manufacturers were represented - Jeep, Dodge, Toyota, Lincoln, Ford and Kia. Jeep did have their usual driving experience set up and there was an area promoting electric.

Sadly, these shows seemed to be somewhat on the decline prior to the pandemic, and I think this may simply signal the end…at least the insignificant ones in places like Denver.

I did snap a few pics to share, though there’s nothing all that interesting…a pic of the Maverick (for @stickguy and others interested in the truck)…the new Jeep products were impressive…a GT version of the Mach E…and a Bronco and Bronco Sport.

So the Mach E GT is out? Is that the performance version? I always though that would be the one I’d lease.

Yes that Maverick looks big. Almost like a Ranger.
    Based on what the Ford rep said at the show, the GT isn't available at dealers quite yet - I suspect there's enough pre-orders at this point to take any new orders into next year. And yes, that was the performance version.

2024 Audi Q8 e-tron - 2024 Corvette - 2024 BMW X5 - 2023 Tesla Model Y

• breldbreld Member Posts: 6,698
    dad23 said:

Thanks for sharing @breld, we had talked about getting down there mainly for the change in venue, but looks like we're good to forgo it this year. Was it crowded at all? Are the GC and GW pretty similar in size? We've been contemplating another SUV for my wife as one of the boys has taken her car as his go to wheels. I had mentioned a new 4Runner (if we could find one) but she said she'd like something nicer ;)

Yeah, at $15/person plus $20 for parking, I'd agree you can forgo the show this year, though given the low expectations, we actually had a nice time. It wasn't busy at all, but I imagine the weekend may be more crowded.

The Grand Cherokee L and Wagoneer/Grand Wagoneer were more differentiated in size that I had expected. In general, I'd compare the GCL to an Explorer/Pilot. The Wagoneers are a step up, comparable to an Expedition/Tahoe. We were able to sit in the GCL and, as you'd expect, it's a great upgrade from the previous GC. From peeking through the window, the GW was beautiful, but you certainly pay for it.

2024 Audi Q8 e-tron - 2024 Corvette - 2024 BMW X5 - 2023 Tesla Model Y

• MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 240,078
    au1994 said:

Took delivery this morning. Just a drive home so far as I needed to get back to work but Its nice! Really liking the saddle interior. Gray, rainy day isn’t the best for pics.

Time to update the signature!

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• dad23dad23 Member Posts: 866
    edited September 2021
    Congrats @au1994, the interior does look very nice as well as the exterior/black wheels combo. Enjoy!
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,373

@au1994

Congrats!

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,851

@nyccarguy said:
    @au1994

Congrats!

Awesome! Enjoy

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• 28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,333

Nice! Welcome to the club!

We should get an Edmunds 4xE club sticker made.

2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,889
    Somebody tell me it is dumb to order a 2nd jeep and likely sell the benz to pay for it.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

au1994 said:

Hey @qbrozen, did you get the tires put on the Jeep yet?

not yet. And, lo and behold, one of the OE tires has a leak.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

@qbrozen said:
    Somebody tell me it is dumb to order a 2nd jeep and likely sell the benz to pay for it.

To what end?

• au1994au1994 Member Posts: 3,356
    qbrozen said:

Uhh wrong forum, amigo

2021 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4xe Granite Crystal over Saddle
    2024 Audi Q5 Premium Plus Daytona Gray over Beige
    2017 BMW X1 Jet Black over Mocha

@qbrozen said:

To what end?

Who cares?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

@qbrozen said:

It’s not dumb. So are you going for a Rubicon 4XE next?

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

It occurs to me I never asked my wife if she might like one.

mjfloyd1 said:

@qbrozen said:

Who in their right mind would have two 4xe’s? Oh, never mind :)

I could have done that, 30 years ago. First wife got a '91 Mazda Protege, and I could have picked one up, as well, a few months later. Mine would have been a stick, and a different color, but I thought it was dumb to have two of the same car in the garage.

Little did I know that:
    a) she would total her car just a couple years later, and replaced with an Accord
    b) we split up after the accident, and I ended up moving to Colorado

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Michaell said:

au1994 said:

Took delivery this morning. Just a drive home so far as I needed to get back to work but Its nice! Really liking the saddle interior. Gray, rainy day isn’t the best for pics.

Time to update the signature!
    Remind me again how to do that?

edited September 2021

To what end?

usually ends with selling. ;b

edited September 2021
    mjfloyd1 said:

Jokes aside, that is a concern. haha. I mean, we both really love it, so it is getting driven ALL THE TIME. My issue is considering the money. Granted, it is a Wrangler and quite possible I'd get some money back in the end. But, if I did one-pay, for example, it looks like about $14k for one loaded up as the wife would want. I'd then take over the green one, of course.

Alternatively, let's say I want to make a change anyway ... maybe I spend the same $14k on like a JDM 4x4. Where does that leave me in 2 years? Do I walk away with more or less money vs a Wrangler?

Or, let's say I keep the benz. We know it will keep demanding money. But how much? I'm pretty sure it would hold its value better than the other options, but would that be enough to offset repairs? I'm thinking it is not likely.

• benjaminhbenjaminh Member Posts: 6,311
    stickguy said:

Apparently not that long. Just got an email from Ford and my order has been scheduled to be built on 10/25, and they even supplied a VIN. So if that date happens, should arrive by Thanksgiving probably.

I was sure it wouldn’t arrive until next year. Probably because of getting the 2.0t instead of hybrid.

You've got a VIN! Wow, that's great news.
    2018 Acura TLX 2.4 Tech 4WS (mine), 2018 Honda CR-V EX AWD (wife's)
    qbrozen said:

mjfloyd1 said:

Jokes aside, that is a concern. haha. I mean, we both really love it, so it is getting driven ALL THE TIME. My issue is considering the money. Granted, it is a Wrangler and quite possible I'd get some money back in the end. But, if I did one-pay, for example, it looks like about $14k for one loaded up as the wife would want. I'd then take over the green one, of course.

Alternatively, let's say I want to make a change anyway ... maybe I spend the same $14k on like a JDM 4x4. Where does that leave me in 2 years? Do I walk away with more or less money vs a Wrangler?

Or, let's say I keep the benz. We know it will keep demanding money. But how much? I'm pretty sure it would hold its value better than the other options, but would that be enough to offset repairs? I'm thinking it is not likely.
    Wranglers (of all versions) hold their value incredibly well.

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,435
    Based on residuals ditto for Tacoma’s.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,027
    I'm trying to think of any reason why QB would want to keep the Benz.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,435
    Dumb question, but how well does navigation work through streaming without CarPlay or android auto? If you are connected via Bluetooth, just put phone on the windshield for display, and instructions will play through the audio (muting the radio as needed)?

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• laurasdadalaurasdada Member Posts: 4,686
    Looking forward to the Greenwich Concours d'Elegance in October. Now owned by Hagerty Insurance.
    Including a Concurs d'Lemons! That I really look forward to!

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

• mjfloyd1mjfloyd1 Member Posts: 3,220
    edited September 2021

@qbrozen said:

You will have vehicles that you like with warranties

• rayainswrayainsw Member Posts: 3,191
    au1994 -
    Congrats on the Jeep!
    - Ray
    Enjoy -
    for many s[miles]
    2022 X3 M40i

@stickguy said:
    Apparently not that long. Just got an email from Ford and my order has been scheduled to be built on 10/25, and they even supplied a VIN. So if that date happens, should arrive by Thanksgiving probably.

I was sure it wouldn’t arrive until next year. Probably because of getting the 2.0t instead of hybrid.

Whoa. I missed this. That’s pretty exciting.

@ab348 said:

AMG

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,188
    I was across the street from EAG, today. They only had 7 or 8 cars on the lot vs. the normal 25-35.

On a sad note, one of the brothers that owns EAG passed away, recently. 39 yrs old.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

@stickguy said:
    Dumb question, but how well does navigation work through streaming without CarPlay or android auto? If you are connected via Bluetooth, just put phone on the windshield for display, and instructions will play through the audio (muting the radio as needed)?

You can get the Nav voice through Bluetooth but you if you want music you need to do it through the phone with Pandora, etc. That is what my wife used to do on the Enclave since she hated the built in Nav

Well, that settles that. I told the wife my plan and she said "I don't love it. I tolerate it. Its OK. You can keep it for yourself. I don't want another."

Of course that means I have to find her something. But she is in no rush. The sooner I do, the sooner the Jeep is all mine, though, and I can finally adjust the seat and mirrors to my liking. hahaha.

• ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,027
    qbrozen said:

@ab348 said:

AMG

True. But like a Cayenne Turbo, it has expensive needs and you really haven't been able to drive it much from what I understand. It is never going to be inexpensive to keep now that it has some age on it. It has big money pit potential.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,559
    au1994 said:

Wow, who said there are no cars being sold these days?

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,236
    New review of the AWD VW ID.4 on TTAC today. The AWD has more horsepower and seems to be decently quick. The state of the fast charging infrastructure in the US, especially for non-Tesla vehicles, would make it a difficult proposition for a road trip. The RAV4 Prime has a lower starting price, the same tax credit, and will get you 40+ miles of zero emission driving, with the flexibility of using regular gas on longer trips.
    Big news: I'm a 1%'er! Well, according to a Car and Driver poll, 1% of respondents drive PHEVs.

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

• roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,312

Big news: I'm a 1%'er! Well, according to a Car and Driver poll, 1% of respondents drive PHEVs.

I was checking out cars on the BMW NA CPO site today and came across a real oddball- a 2021 330e M Sport. with 4,500 miles, RWD, and virtually every option- including the Dynamic Handling Package, which gets you M Sport brakes, M Adaptive suspension, and variable sport steering. It's probably a good thing that it's located in Texas, as I might be tempted- even if it is a bit on the slow side...

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

Not that anybody is in the market, but tonight the daughter handed me her phone, telling me that what's she's built would be nice as her next car.

2022 MINI Countryman SE - which is the plug-in hybrid. 221HP total, 17 miles of EV range. Sage Green with grey leather interior, and a couple of other options and packages and - voila! - an MSRP over $46K.

Turns out there is a $5K federal tax credit and another $2500 for Colorado. Add in the trade value of the current MINI, and it's not too bad of a deal. Maybe.

A quick search turned up exactly two of the SE models in the entire country. One in Knoxville, and the other is about a hour drive north of us. Perhaps a quick trip up to review and evaluate, because .... well, because.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

• corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,236
    The RAV4 Prime starts a hair over $40k, has over 2x the electric range, gets a $7,500 federal tax break, and I'm assuming would qualify for the state tax break, too. 0-60 in 5.xx seconds. Unfortunately, similarly, not great availability.

Again. Purely academic.

@corvette said:
    The RAV4 Prime starts a hair over $40k, has over 2x the electric range, gets a $7,500 federal tax break, and I'm assuming would qualify for the state tax break, too. 0-60 in 5.xx seconds. Unfortunately, similarly, not great availability.

And it’s a RAV4 ….

No Mini should ever be $46k.

Thats how I used to feel about Jeep’s costing what we paid :open_mouth:

corvette said:

New review of the AWD VW ID.4 on TTAC today. The AWD has more horsepower and seems to be decently quick. The state of the fast charging infrastructure in the US, especially for non-Tesla vehicles, would make it a difficult proposition for a road trip. The RAV4 Prime has a lower starting price, the same tax credit, and will get you 40+ miles of zero emission driving, with the flexibility of using regular gas on longer trips.

And it is a Toyota.

• explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,253
    My sister and her husband came up to the Cleveland area to my grandson's Birthday party in their A3 PHEV.
    Complained that they couldn't find any convenient places to plug it in.
    I did a few minutes of searching and didn't find any hotels that had charging stations.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
    au1994 said:

The Jeep is overpriced, at MSRP. But what does that say about the Mini? the Jeep offers WAY more in comparison.

edited September 2021
    Got a break in the rain last night so we popped the freedom panels out for the ride home from lacrosse practice. Our son got to drive getting many hoots and hollers from teammates as we left. Everyone was smiling on a cool late summer evening.

Definitely a good choice.

qbrozen said:

au1994 said:

The Jeep is overpriced, at MSRP. But what does that say about the Mini? the Jeep offers WAY more in comparison.
    Just messin’ with ya! Everything is just more expensive these days. The prices on full sized trucks just blows me away for instance. So does the price creep on the 3 series. I don’t even think my 2011 328 coupe was over 40k? It was pretty basic but I don’t think you can sniff a 3 series for much under 50k.

My on board nav directed me to two pretty much unmarked free charging stations at Mohegan Sun. Of course, a non-electric was parked in one of the spots. But, the next day a Tesla was charging in it. As I had a full charge, I moved my car to a regular spot and returned to the casino to continue to donate to the reparations fund.