Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• au1994au1994 Member Posts: 3,356
    I just applied for a night rate from my electric cooperative. So far not planning on putting in a 240V and fast charger.

2021 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4xe Granite Crystal over Saddle
    2024 Audi Q5 Premium Plus Daytona Gray over Beige
    2017 BMW X1 Jet Black over Mocha

• mjfloyd1mjfloyd1 Member Posts: 3,221

@jmonroe1 said:

@benjaminh said:
    A Toyota supply exec said yesterday that over the next few months things should get somewhat better when it comes to chip supplies and the production of Toyota vehicles.

https://www.autonews.com/video/autonews-now-toyota-nissan-faurecia-execs-talk-chip-shortage

It’s nice to learn that the slowdown in car production has given auto execs a chance to improve their golf game. Nice work if you can get it.

jmonroe

At least it was a charity golf outing.

• corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,236
    au1994 said:

I just applied for a night rate from my electric cooperative. So far not planning on putting in a 240V and fast charger.

How does that work there? If you pay a significantly higher rate for daytime use on all your other usage, it may not make sense.
    corvette said:

au1994 said:

How does that work there? If you pay a significantly higher rate for daytime use on all your other usage, it may not make sense.
    Good question and one I am investigating. It seems in Atlanta proper (GA Power) there is an opportunity to get a discounted rate basically covering the overnight areas. My much smaller co-op does offer it but it looks like they really steer you toward getting a 240 and are a little cagey about disclosing the night rate. Just not sure thats worth it…ball park quotes of $800 to drop the 240V line plus the cost of a charger. There is a $250 rebate I could apply for to help off set.

They also try a few scare tactics like “you may find that your electric bill goes up $85-100 depending on how much you charge”. Umm no, I think thats a stretch. I am expecting $30-40 increase, basically a tank of gas or less.

edited September 2021
    I think with most of the PHEVs, a 120v charger is adequate for home charging in most situations, since they will fully charge in 8-12 hours.
  • Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,952
    Still might go see those 17" Passat/Jetta alloys on Thursday and see if we can make some kind of deal on trading for those and mounting of my current tires for my alloys. Have the top of the line 17" alloys from a Jetta SEL from around 2015 and still in great condition. The ones he has look pretty good and would really give my Golf a different look, just something to make me fall in love with it again! For the right price, might just make it easier to continue driving it for another couple of years. At almost 69K on the clock now, doubt I'll get up to 74K by then and since it still looks and runs just fine, best to just keep it a bit longer. Think it will give me just what I want here and think it'll look just great!

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

@Sandman6472 said:
    Still might go see those 17" Passat/Jetta alloys on Thursday and see if we can make some kind of deal on trading for those and mounting of my current tires for my alloys. Have the top of the line 17" alloys from a Jetta SEL from around 2015 and still in great condition. The ones he has look pretty good and would really give my Golf a different look, just something to make me fall in love with it again! For the right price, might just make it easier to continue driving it for another couple of years. At almost 69K on the clock now, doubt I'll get up to 74K by then and since it still looks and runs just fine, best to just keep it a bit longer. Think it will give me just what I want here and think it'll look just great!

Is a shop selling the alloys?

• laurasdadalaurasdada Member Posts: 4,686
    au1994 said:

corvette said:

au1994 said:

Good question and one I am investigating. It seems in Atlanta proper (GA Power) there is an opportunity to get a discounted rate basically covering the overnight areas. My much smaller co-op does offer it but it looks like they really steer you toward getting a 240 and are a little cagey about disclosing the night rate. Just not sure thats worth it…ball park quotes of $800 to drop the 240V line plus the cost of a charger. There is a $250 rebate I could apply for to help off set.

They also try a few scare tactics like “you may find that your electric bill goes up $85-100 depending on how much you charge”. Umm no, I think thats a stretch. I am expecting $30-40 increase, basically a tank of gas or less.
    Hi: I haven't read through the whole thread yet, but the portable charger that came with your Jeep may have a 240 volt adapter. Change the plug on your portable charger and you're ready to plug in to the 240v outlet, you don't necessarily have to buy a full wall charger.

But, I'm no electrician...

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

• qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,889
    Ugh. Hope I made the right decision with my ML. Mechanic seems to be knowledgeable in cars, and had all British and German cars in the yard, but he isn't intimately familiar with THIS car with THIS engine.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• laurasdadalaurasdada Member Posts: 4,686
    corvette said:

I think with most of the PHEVs, a 120v charger is adequate for home charging in most situations, since they will fully charge in 8-12 hours.

120v outlet adds ~2 miles/hour charging. It is advised to regularly charge the battery to ~80% to preserve useful life. 100% only for when you know you're going on a longer trip.

I try to do that, if I know I'll just be local. For road trip, charge to 100% and then use hybrid mode when beyond local traffic to max performance and overall range.

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

@qbrozen said:
    Ugh. Hope I made the right decision with my ML. Mechanic seems to be knowledgeable in cars, and had all British and German cars in the yard, but he isn't intimately familiar with THIS car with THIS engine.

Hopefully he will have mercy on you with his bill :)

• roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,312

au1994 said:

corvette said:

au1994 said:

Hi: I haven't read through the whole thread yet, but the portable charger that came with your Jeep may have a 240 volt adapter. Change the plug on your portable charger and you're ready to plug in to the 240v outlet, you don't necessarily have to buy a full wall charger.

BMW was offering a portable charger that worked on 120 volt and 240 volt outlets; I don't know if it's replaced the 120 volt charger that used to be standard in the EVs and PHEVs.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

au1994 said:

corvette said:

au1994 said:

Unfortunately, its a separate charger that MOPAR is happy to sell you for about $500 I believe.

I just need to spend some time getting exact quotes and pulling all the strings on rebates/incentives before I make any further decisions. After a week charging on the 120v has been fine but I admit it was nice using the rapid charger on Saturday at the shopping center and seeing it go from dead to full in about 2 hours or a few margaritas which ever came first :smile:

I texted with the guy who wants to sell those rims. It's a small tire shop in Ft. Lauderdale and they don't take trades. Asked if I could turn my current ones in for his plus the mounting/balancing of my tires on the new rims but go a flat "NO" as an answer. So, looks like I'll keep what I got for the time being as I don't want to go through the hassle of doing all that work only having to re-sell my current rims...just too much work & $ to change the look of my Golf though it would look very cool! As much as I'd love to do it, logically it's not to smart plus I'd have to hear about wasting the money for who knows how long!

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,435
    I got distracted (shiny object, squirrel squirrel…) by the new Frontier. All online, local dealer hasn’t gotten on the lot yet.

But now I think I “need” a loaded to the hilt pro 4X. It seems practical, and has all the options. Plus (big plus) really good 24 month lease terms! That might be a great short term solution.

Anybody see a flaw in this plan?

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,373
    stickguy said:

I got distracted (shiny object, squirrel squirrel…) by the new Frontier. All online, local dealer hasn’t gotten on the lot yet.

But now I think I “need” a loaded to the hilt pro 4X. It seems practical, and has all the options. Plus (big plus) really good 24 month lease terms! That might be a great short term solution.

Friend of mine checked out some base frontiers. Dealer had a $5K ADM on every one. Nissan dealers will want the king's ransom for a Pro 4X.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

It looks like you have to pony up for a fully loaded SV, or the Pro 4X, to get LED headlights.

For $45k sticker, you get everything. I love the 360 surround view camera system

edited September 2021
    Wonder if Nissan allows Carmax buyouts? Should do the lease and if don’t like it, flip!

Wife almost talked into it too.

• ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,027
    Stick is becoming the master of ordering vehicles he is unable to test-drive or even sit in. :D

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

Ordering one is ok. Buying one sight unseen, that’s a little riskier.

Vehicles I never even saw in person but put into my fleet:
    Coronet (never even drove one)
    Charger (I did test drive a Charger R/T of similar vintage)
    ML63 (never drove one)
    Camaro LT1 (never drove one)
    Wrangler (never drove one after 2004)

Oh, and my 350z I did see but didn't drive, although I drove another of same year/trim.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

stickguy said:

And what do those good lease terms look like? And will your dealer honor them?

Drove a Frontier at work yesterday and drove nicely. Sure the tech was old but for a basic trucklet, one could do a lot worse I'd guess. Also drove a BMW 2 Series over to the BMW dealer for a recall. Loved it! And the 5 Series I drove yesterday put the biggest grin on my face. My lead told me after he passed me & was laughing as he saw me grinning as I hit the accelerator & took off! The power was intoxicating to be honest and I know I'd get into trouble if it were my d d!
    As much as I do like a BMW, Mercedes & a Lexus, guessing the price to maintain them would be more than I'm willing to spend at this point. Once I do trade in the VW, going back to Toyota or Hyundai an be done with it.
    My friend at work is going to check my brake fluid & air filter tomorrow and let me know what needs doing. Am positive the air filter will need to be changed as it's been over 3 years since it was done, just checked my receipts. And the brake fluid was done at around 31K with the 30K service. Thinking it might need to be changed again but we'll see in the morning. Doubt I've ever done the interior air cleaner either as it's not listed on any receipt I have. Betting I'll need all three things done, will need the mechanic for only the brake fluid. Put off the spark plugs for the time being as it drives nicely according to my buddy.

• sdasda Member Posts: 6,936
    I wouldn’t wait until your VW misfires or runs poorly which may create additional problems that could’ve been easily prevented. Spark plug replacement is not overly expensive and will give you peace of mind.

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

Just got off the website of my Toyota store where I work. They're listing about 10 new 2022 Corolla Cross CUV's, the vehicle I've been waiting for! Basically, it's a 3/4 Rav4 but sits up a few inches higher than a regular Corolla, something I need for my spinal issues. That was the best feature of my 2014 Hyundai Tucson, I could slide in/out with no dropping into the vehicle. All the vin #'s have a "7" in front of them so figuring they're being made somewhere in the United States.
    So, now need to decide what to do. I know I want an XLE model even though it'll have 18" alloys. Only showing one XLE unit in black which won't work for me. But, still need to test drive one and bring it home to see how it'll fit on my side of the garage. Good thing I'm not in a hurry here as I plan to take my time. If I'd do anything this year, think I'd go in on December 30th and see what kind of inventory they've got by then. Want a Celestial Blue over ash interior or maybe even that two-toned dash they have which is pretty sharp looking. But glad I'm in no hurry here and can wait, can even wait till the end of the 2022 model year if need be. Just won't rush here and also plan to either lease or finance, just not sure. Come December, it'll be 7 years since I've done anything like this. So, looks like I'll put off some of the maintenance on the Golf just in case it's not here by years end.
    Cautiously optimistic right now...cautiously optimistic going forward. But just glad they're here in the United States. Not going to get too excited here because I hate to be disappointed if things do not work out. But I'd be lying if I said I'm not happy right now because I am, I really am happy they're already at my dealer today! Will have to find out where they are when I go into work on Saturday as I'd love a test drive to be honest.

edited September 2021
    Let’s see, did an overnight test drive of a 95 Tacoma, LX I think, but ended up with the higher spec SR5 that I never drove till I drove it off the lot.

I leased a 2001 Accord Special Edition after riding in one that my supplier had. Never drove it till I took it home.

Never drove this 4xE but drove another one.

I think thats it.

• 28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,333
    Purchased without a test drive:
    VW CC
    GTI
    C300
    Alfa Stelvio
    Wrangler 4xE

Basically I've only test driven cars when we're shopping for my wife.
    2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible
    Didn’t you at least sit in one first? Or see it in person?

I hope to find a Maverick to at least test fit at a local dealer. If not, when mine comes in, I go see it, test drive, then decide if I want it. Weird way to do it though. But, did the same thing when I got the first Scion tC in the region.

• sdasda Member Posts: 6,936
    The only car that I didn’t drive when I purchased it was a 59 white Cadillac 62 coupe that I had planned to fix up and have fun with…on college earned work dollars. I had the carb and starter rebuilt. I personally replaced the rings and rod bearings, had the heads trued. Started right up and ran smoothly BUT found water in the oil. Cracked block. Many $$ and hours wasted. Good learning and practical experience gained. Sat for years to the dismay of my dad. I did sell it to a man who was going to replace the engine and paint the car pink.

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

@Sandman6472 said:
    Basically, it's a 3/4 Rav4 but sits up a few inches higher than a regular Corolla, something I need for my spinal issues.

It is a 4/4 CHR. You ever try one of those?

Yeah, it is UGLY but probably the same vehicle from behind the wheel.

The Corolla Cross will be built at the Toyota/Mazda plant in Huntsville, AL.

Driven the CH-R at Hertz and that rear blind spot is awful made worse with a dark interior. I'd rather get the Corolla Cross out of the two to be honest. But not rushing into anything right now. Once I drive one, I'll know better. The real test will be when we put it into my side of the garage...we'll know right away if it's gonna work. I think it will and if not, onto Plan B. Plan A is to buy the C C and enjoy it for many years to come. So glad there's no rush here and if another year goes by, so be it. I just don't want to have a big expense with the Golf to be truthful, let it keep behaving and we'll be good. At this point, I'm keeping both gigs which will help pay for whatever I do. And leasing looks interesting if the numbers work, might be interesting to only keep something for 3 years and then turn it over.

Are you other 4xe people getting “ducked”. I’ve had two rubber duckys left on my Jeep so far. It’s a Jeep way of saying “I like your wrangler””

Nope - but I've been hearing about it.
  • jmonroe1jmonroe1 Member Posts: 7,463

@mjfloyd1 said:
    Are you other 4xe people getting “ducked”. I’ve had two rubber duckys left on my Jeep so far. It’s a Jeep way of saying “I like your wrangler””

I only loaned those to you. B)

jmonroe

'15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
  • oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,559
    mjfloyd1 said:

Is this some kind of a cult? Be careful the Wrangler people don’t come for you in the night. :s

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

watched a bunch of Frontier videos. Sounds nice, but the Pro 4X is definitely slanted toward off road use at some detriment to on road. But, that is the model that has the good stuff (and best terms). Just really need to see one to figure out if it is too bulky for what I want, if the seats work, all that good stuff. Looks to be pretty similar to the Tacoma, just with a much nicer interior! So buying it sight unseen, seems like a poor idea. Though it is just for for 2 years, so how bad can it be?!

terms offered for a 24/10 lease is $445 DAS (1st payment only) and $445/month for a loaded Pro 4x, MSRP just a tick over $46k. Hard to not just take it and worry about liking it later!

@stickguy said:
    watched a bunch of Frontier videos. Sounds nice, but the Pro 4X is definitely slanted toward off road use at some detriment to on road. But, that is the model that has the good stuff (and best terms). Just really need to see one to figure out if it is too bulky for what I want, if the seats work, all that good stuff. Looks to be pretty similar to the Tacoma, just with a much nicer interior! So buying it sight unseen, seems like a poor idea. Though it is just for for 2 years, so how bad can it be?!

terms offered for a 24/10 lease is $445 DAS (1st payment only) and $445/month for a loaded Pro 4x, MSRP just a tick over $46k. Hard to not just take it and worry about liking it later!

Is that a real quote? That’s darn good these days.

• benjaminhbenjaminh Member Posts: 6,311
    edited September 2021
    stickguy said:

Those are good lease terms.

But I think you said a while ago that your last vehicle, your TLX, was a bit on the large side for you, and a 2018 TLX is 191 inches long. A Nissan Frontier Pro 4X is 224 inches long. Do you really want a massive off-road-ready truck?

Just my 2 cents, but I'd stick with the Maverick your ordered, which is also a great deal on a much more livable and fun to drive vehicle.

Plus I'd trust Ford to design and build my truck over Nissan. My wife, who grew up in the country with Ford trucks, agrees.
    2018 Acura TLX 2.4 Tech 4WS (mine), 2018 Honda CR-V EX AWD (wife's)
    yes it is. Well, it was still this AM when I could have taken it. Units went quick, so now either $465-$482 depending on color.

edited September 2021
    It's a good deal, but is it the right vehicle for you? Why would you need a vehicle so big and so high off the ground? What happened to your seemingly long-held preference for having something that's fun to drive?

From my pov it's seems like maybe you dodged a bullet when you missed that deal on the loaded Nissan Frontier Pro 4X? My guess, and it's purely a guess, is that if you sign the papers on one of those that in a relatively short time you might regret it.

Honestly, I think you'd be much happier driving your new Maverick. What you ordered seems sharp and should retain its resale value well.

Are you questioning your Maverick order because you'll likely need to buy it instead of lease it?
    it would come in handy for 2 years. Though ideally I would have a much cheaper used truck as a spare, and a fun car for nice weather. Of course, the days when those existed are long since gone I think.

this would have been a temporary plan to hopefully get through the transition to a new house. and see how we like having one around. And really just a different option than the Maverick which would largely serve the same purpose.

edited September 2021
    Payments on your Maverick as a purchase over 5 years should be similar. I realize you rarely keep a vehicle that long, but currently Ford is offering 1.9% over 5 years, which as you know is a very good rate. Of course, I realize that rate might not be offered when your Maverick actually arrives at the dealer.

I might lease it if they have reasonable terms at the time. No clue what lease or finance will be 2 months from now in November.

I am still surprised, with consumer cars so close to delivery, there still aren't any driving reviews released. Really want to see some of those! I do need to touch base with some dealers to see if someone will give me a call in case they get one on the lot to check out.

I think October 5 is the embargo date on the Maverick. Looks like Ford's current finance rates are 0% for 36 months, 0.9% for 48 months, and 1.9% for 60 months. The 72, 75, and 84 month terms are quite high by comparison, but I'm sure a lot of people will take them to "save" a few bucks each month on a lower monthly nut.
    oh, one more crazy thing from the lease deal on the Nissan. Which helps explain the good price. on a 24/10 lease, MSRP of about 45K, residual just about 40K. So roughly an 88-89% residual.

A 2-year/10k lease of a Maverick Lariat with the 2.0T currently looks like almost $500 a month if you put 0 down.

2 year leases are normally a lot more expensive I think.