Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,236
    tifighter said:

I've been looking at cars on the Carmax website. Have any of you bought from them? The shipping costs range quite a bit, but getting a car shipped up from California to Seattle for $600 doesn't seem that bad. You can return it for any reason within 30 days after delivery, meaning if you took something for a PPI and it was no bueno, you should just be out the shipping cost. Not ideal, but for a car you can't just find anywhere, it seems like a viable option.

I bought my Murano and the TDI Jetta Sportwagen there. Very easy transactions, both times, but they do not do as much cosmetic restoration on the cars as they used to, and if they replace any tires, they will be the cheapest tires available in that size, even on a luxury car. Other than the (supposedly) very good available Carmax warranty, I think they are just another "one price" dealer.
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,433
    I have heard that before. they started out with very high standards and were a cut above. But over time, standards got shaved so now you can't count on much other than being priced high!

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

stickguy said:

The guy that bought a Maverick a few days ago keeps posting update videos... Consistent between 6.5-6.9 (sport to eco drive modes) and 1/4 in about 14.9 @ 91.

He was also only launching it at 2700 RPM and I didn't watch the whole thing, but he indicated it may have been on 87 octane. I bet Car and Driver gives it all the beans when they test it, which should shave a few tenths off. If his test was really done on 87 octane, C&D might even get down below 6 seconds.

Even with his numbers, I don't think there is a CUV or pickup available in the low to mid $20s that will make those kinds of numbers.
    stickguy said:

Same engine can haul around an edge or explorer, so can’t be too weak!

I heard some complaints about the 2.0T Explorer, kind of like Toyota putting the Camry's 2.5 liter hybrid setup in the new Highlander Hybrid and Sienna--not enough oomph for that much weight. The current Explorer with the 2.3T is much better, from what I understand.
    the Explorer is also likely 1,000-1,500 pounds more than the Maverick.

yes, he was on 87 but I know that is the recommended gas for that engine. No clue if it can make more power with higher octane. And that is why I said he was driving it "real world". For sure the car mags will treat it like a race car and brake torque the heck out of it. A big reason I don't pay too much attention to their published 0-60 times. The 5-60 rolling start is IMO much more reflective of how people really use a car.

in any case, it is plenty quick for anything I would do with it (and I would guess most every other buyer).

edited September 2021
    stickguy said:

yes, he was on 87 but I know that is the recommended gas for that engine.

I thought Ford's specs indicated their quoted horsepower/torque figures were with 91 octane, but it will run 87, but I may be misremembering.
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,250
    edited September 2021
    Ford pretty much rates everything with RUG, unless a performance model.
    Edit: I did find this on the ford media website, " *Horsepower and torque ratings based on premium fuel per SAE J1349".
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
    not required though, right?. No way I am buying a cheap mini truck and putting Premium in it!

• oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,559
    qbrozen said:

uh-oh. Wifey may not be able to get the Transit. The realtor messaged today while she was doing final walkthrough for us. I asked her if she'd be kind enough to measure the height of the garage. She said she did the best she could due to being short, but believes it to be 90". The sport roof version of the van is 94" per the brochure. We're going to see the van on Sat and I'll be in MB on Sunday, so I'll confirm measurements on both. If it is close enough, maybe adding air suspension could fix the issue.

According to my research the Ford transit van is 82”-108” depending on which model you choose. All I know is you don’t want to try taking some of them through a car wash.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

@stickguy,
    No, PUG not required.
    I tried looking up the same info for my Explorer, rated @300/310, but couldn't anything about what type of fuel it is rated at.
    stickguy said:

Here’s one for you low mile, luxury land yacht fans.

https://www.euroasianauto.com/details/used-1983-lincoln-mark-vi/79550462

That mileage is right in my wheelhouse but when did they ever make a 4 door Lincoln Mark?

Is that being sold by the guy who Hoovie calls “urination Bob”?

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

Yes. He also has a gorgeous 1988 T Bird turbo coupe with about 48K on it that looks brand new. Only $17,999

That blue Mark is listed for 14k asking.

Edit: I did find this on the ford media website, " *Horsepower and torque ratings based on premium fuel per SAE J1349".

Yes, I think that's is unique to the 2.0T.

Supposedly, the 2.3T in the Explorer and Ranger achieves its factory ratings on regular fuel, but if you fill the tank with premium, the computer will adjust the tune and give you another 20 horsepower or so. I think the other EB engines behave similarly.
    @corvette,
    The 3.5 eco in my F150 was rated @375HP on RUG. The same engine in the Expedition Limited was 400 on PUG.
    corvette said:

Yes, I think that's is unique to the 2.0T.

Supposedly, the 2.3T in the Explorer and Ranger achieves its factory ratings on regular fuel, but if you fill the tank with premium, the computer will adjust the tune and give you another 20 horsepower or so. I think the other EB engines behave similarly.
    I think most Ford performance (and maybe all manufacturer’s) engines are the same way. My 5.0L NA engine gets about 5% less horsepower on regular vs. premium.

I poked around the forums, and somebody had posted the fuel requirements page from the owners manual. Stated that it was designed for 87 octane, but under certain conditions (hot or towing mostly) you could see higher performance. So most likely, driving around town in the winter running errands, you won't get any benefit from spending more on PUG.

Here's one for QB to replace the minivan. Low roof, so will fit in the parking spot. Just take a couple of rows of seats out, and plenty of room for cargo and dogs.

just needs a quick remodel, and good to go! Probably can source some nice captains chairs, put in a mini fridge, all kinds of fun stuff.

https://express.pacificoford.com/express/used/1FBZX2ZM2HKB13067?deal_type=finance&deal_down=2500&deal_months=60&delivery=1

• MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 240,057
    stickguy said:

Here's one for QB to replace the minivan. Low roof, so will fit in the parking spot. Just take a couple of rows of seats out, and plenty of room for cargo and dogs.

just needs a quick remodel, and good to go! Probably can source some nice captains chairs, put in a mini fridge, all kinds of fun stuff.

https://express.pacificoford.com/express/used/1FBZX2ZM2HKB13067?deal_type=finance&deal_down=2500&deal_months=60&delivery=1

RWD - I think @qbrozen is looking for AWD.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,889

Correct, she wants AWD.
    Besides, like all used right now, that price is absurd. A new RWD XLT is $45.5k. Doesn’t seem like 15-passenger is an option anymore, though. I only see 12.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• benjaminhbenjaminh Member Posts: 6,311
    edited October 2021
    I saw a newish VW Arteon on the highway recently and it seemed surprisingly large. It is about 74" wide. My local VW dealer is offering 5k off the list price, which seems strange in this market. As with Toyota recently, the front grill seems a bit overdone.

https://www.bachmanvolkswagen.com/inventory/new-2021-volkswagen-arteon-sel-r-line-fwd-4dr-car-wvwhr7an1me013070/

2018 Acura TLX 2.4 Tech 4WS (mine), 2018 Honda CR-V EX AWD (wife's)
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,373
    qbrozen said:

breld said:

Did I miss something about you moving to a new house?

vacation condo in myrtle beach. i probably kept those comments on the other thread.
    That's awesome! So you guys must really love it down there. Congrats! Beach front?

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

I saw an Arteon recently. Not bad looking. Sort of like a Passat that melted in the sun.

For the transit, glue an AWD badge on it. She’ll never know!

• sdasda Member Posts: 6,934
    benjaminh said:

I saw a newish VW Arteon on the highway recently and it seemed surprisingly large. It is about 74" wide. My local VW dealer is offering 5k off the list price, which seems strange in this market. As with Toyota recently, the front grill seems a bit overdone.

https://www.bachmanvolkswagen.com/inventory/new-2021-volkswagen-arteon-sel-r-line-fwd-4dr-car-wvwhr7an1me013070/

The Arteon is a very nice car, meant to be the top tier of VW. Unfortunately they were priced as such and have found few buyers. Just too expensive. With all the rush to CUVs/SUVs, the Arteon is invisible. I did see a red one pass us on our way home from Hilton Head. It looked really good in the wild. I really like the hatchback versatility and sedan looks. And like most sedans it is not long for this world.

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

Arteon looks good, but a $43.5k sedan from VW is a tough sell. Would you buy at $43k Accord, even if it had really good styling? You can also get any number of used luxury sedans in that price range.

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,175
    corvette said:

Arteon looks good, but a $43.5k sedan from VW is a tough sell. Would you buy at $43k Accord, even if it had really good styling? You can also get any number of used luxury sedans in that price range.

They can't give them away, ergo the incentives

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

edited October 2021
    The highest priced Accord is the Touring with an msrp of 38k. In normal times you could get a good discount off of that, but right now not a chance. You'd not only pay msrp, but would have to battle on the ADM. Plus the Accord doesn't have the versatility of the Arteon's hatchback. And, small point perhaps, but Accords are everywhere, while the Arteon might make you feel special because you'd be the only one for miles around driving one.

Hatchbacks are a tough sell in this market, but the upcoming 2023 Acura Integra 5-door liftback will probably have a starting msrp of about $32k. It'll be sort-of a fancy Civic Hatchback Touring Si. The new Integra's smaller size and 10k lower price compared to the Arteon might help it sell. This teaser art image of the new Integra seems to show a pillarless rear window like the Arteon, but that might be a bait and switch trick.

• au1994au1994 Member Posts: 3,356
    kyfdx said:

corvette said:

They can't give them away, ergo the incentives
    Correct! Its really nice looking and at $37k, it becomes a little more palatable. I’m sure you’d have to buy as I can’t imagine it leases worth a darn.

2021 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4xe Granite Crystal over Saddle
    2024 Audi Q5 Premium Plus Daytona Gray over Beige
    2017 BMW X1 Jet Black over Mocha

qbrozen said:

nyccarguy said:

That's awesome! So you guys must really love it down there. Congrats! Beach front?

thanks. not quite beach front. ... beach adjacent? lol. It is 1/4 mile away. You can see the water. Just far enough to be quiet but close enough to walk.
    https://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/M6457539586
    Wow! That's gorgeous! Looks like a fantatsic location. Going to keep it for yourselves, rent it out, or both?

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,889

@nyccarguy said:
    Wow! That's gorgeous! Looks like a fantatsic location. Going to keep it for yourselves, rent it out, or both?

Both. A property manager is meeting me there Monday.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• jmonroe1jmonroe1 Member Posts: 7,460

@nyccarguy said:

He’s going to let us use it when he’s not there. All we have to do is leave him plenty of booze when we leave. We’ll never get a better deal than that. I think he’s already booked for next Summer, though. You’re too late.

jmonroe

'15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
  • ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,024
    Supplies of new vehicles look like they are about to start coming back. I read yesterday that a bunch of GM plants are supposed to restart production next week, while other GM plants will come online over the rest of October.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• sdasda Member Posts: 6,934
    When we go to Myrtle Beach we prefer and stay in N. Myrtle. We typically rent an ocean front room with a kitchenette and location with a pool. Wonderful location, enjoy!

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

jmonroe1 said:

@nyccarguy said:

He’s going to let us use it when he’s not there. All we have to do is leave him plenty of booze when we leave. We’ll never get a better deal than that. I think he’s already booked for next Summer, though. You’re too late.

jmonroe

Good thing I only need 3 months in the winter!

qbrozen said:

@nyccarguy said:

Both. A property manager is meeting me there Monday.

I'm sure your Sarge Green 4Xe will fit in perfectly down there

edited October 2021
    ab348 said:

Supplies of new vehicles look like they are about to start coming back. I read yesterday that a bunch of GM plants are supposed to restart production next week, while other GM plants will come online over the rest of October.

That’s great news, do you have a link to that article? The rental companies are desperate because no car maker wants to sell at discount to fleets when they can get above sticker to individuals. Our boss was given authorization to start buying from dealers at sticker but it’s been difficult as the dealers can get above that to retail customers. The only evidence I’ve seen is a rare Honda HR-V which appeared in the fleet recently.

That’s not supposed to be published yet.

• breldbreld Member Posts: 6,698
    @qbrozen - congrats on the beach condo. That's outstanding. My wife just spent last weekend with some friends who rented a condo right on the beach at Carolina beach. She came back saying she now understands the appeal of owning a beach condo.

2024 Audi Q8 e-tron - 2024 Corvette - 2024 BMW X5 - 2023 Tesla Model Y

• 28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,333
    @breld - uh, drool.
    2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible
    Yup.. love it.

Unfortunately where I am looking, it’s $1mill+ so just a touch over budget for retirement downsizing!

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,175
    stickguy said:

Yup.. love it.

Unfortunately where I am looking, it’s $1mill+ so just a touch over budget for retirement downsizing!

I bet it's $1Million in Denver, as well

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,024

That’s great news, do you have a link to that article? The rental companies are desperate because no car maker wants to sell at discount to fleets when they can get above sticker to individuals. Our boss was given authorization to start buying from dealers at sticker but it’s been difficult as the dealers can get above that to retail customers. The only evidence I’ve seen is a rare Honda HR-V which appeared in the fleet recently.

Here you go:

https://www.autonews.com/manufacturing/nearly-all-gm-plants-us-be-online-next-week

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 240,057

@breld - uh, drool.

I've already claimed one of those garage spots, if I ever get a car for myself.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• dad23dad23 Member Posts: 866
    @breld, does that get you in to the CC, or do you already belong ;)
  • 28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,333
    2 mill + by me unless you go to the way out suburbs that arguably aren't metro seattle anymore...
    2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible
  • jmonroe1jmonroe1 Member Posts: 7,460

@stickguy said:
    Good thing I only need 3 months in the winter!

There’s always a guy who knows how to beat the system. 😫

jmonroe

'15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
    I could have used that garage when we had 6 cars. 3 is enough, for now.