Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• 28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,390
    au1994 said:

Some thoughts on the Jeep after a couple of weeks and 400 miles:

Short version…I love it!

Average mpg is 33.7 so that tells you most of my miles have been on electricity. But pretty phenomenal for a brick.

Its surprisingly comfortable. Lack of a dead pedal is annoying but as per usual with the Jeep aftermarket, easily remedied.

Ride and steering feel are better than the 07 JK I had by a long shot.

Driving position and windows afford great visibility.

Infotainment is great. Easy to use, clear display, b/u camera is awesome.

The power is pretty fun. Nail it and you’ll squeal the tires for sure.

The stereo kicks! Not a huge audiophile but its better than the Harmon Karden in the BMW,

Forgot how I missed open air driving.

That said, the top removal is really a 3 person job. 2 can do it but it induces much pucker factor avoiding scratches or dropping the darn thing. It may run me $600 but a hoist may be in order.

The freedom panels are great and give the front passengers the convertible feeling. They do take up a good bit of the cargo area or when strapped to the back seat, impede rear visibility. Not totally but enough to be a little annoying.

Back seat is a little cramped but its still comfortable.

Again, all in all no complaints from me!

I echo these sentiments entirely. It is so great and the more I drive it the more I love it.
    2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible, 2015 Audi Q5 TDI
  • breldbreld Member Posts: 6,710
    dad23 said:

@breld, does that get you in to the CC, or do you already belong ;)

The HOA dues gets you into the country club, workout facilities and tennis courts, but golf privileges are additional. Which is fine, since neither of us golf. Though my wife wants a golf cart just to drive around. :)

2024 Audi Q8 e-tron - 2024 Corvette - 2024 BMW X5 - 2023 Tesla Model Y

• nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,425
    @breld

To quote George Tekkei from The Howard Stern Show (I know, he's Mr Sulu): "Oh my!"

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

Apparently no offer has come in yet, so our agent is drafting one.

And yes, it's a pricey home, but fortunately our existing home has also benefited from this crazy market. So...just like when trading a car for a new one...it's only the difference that matters. :)

• qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,940

Wow. Good luck, @breld !

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• au1994au1994 Member Posts: 3,382
    Guess @breld is hosting Thanksgiving this year. Dibs on an indoor parking space!

I prefer Dunkin’ coffee in the morning btw…

2021 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4xe Granite Crystal over Saddle
    2024 Audi Q5 Premium Plus Daytona Gray over Beige
    2017 BMW X1 Jet Black over Mocha

• coldinohiocoldinohio Member Posts: 170
    good luck;

love the"side mounted" GDOs; you can add a lift or two and expand fleet!!! then start a youtube channel
    breld said:

Apparently no offer has come in yet, so our agent is drafting one.

And yes, it's a pricey home, but fortunately our existing home has also benefited from this crazy market. So...just like when trading a car for a new one...it's only the difference that matters. :)

• oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,652
    breld said:

So you all know how dangerous it can be to just "browse" car listings. Well, yesterday, I was talking about houses with a co-worker and that made me curious about what listings there were in my neighborhood, and I happened upon a listing for this house...

Beautiful house, with all the upgrades and finishes that my wife would like to do to our house.

You'll of course notice what looks like a 4-car garage, which caught my attention. But...one of those bays is a tandem...so space for 6 cars. From the property description..."There is a 2, 100 square foot garage which includes its own furnace, 220V outlet, room for car lifts and plenty of space to enjoy and entertain."

I e-mail the listing to my wife, who responds quickly, "Oh, I've been eyeing that listing for days now. How serious are you?"

Long story short...we visited the house last night with our realtor. It hits all the right design notes for my wife (and myself too), and the garage is exquisite. There's easily room for 6 vehicles, with tons of room to spare. We are interested, but the listing agent was expecting an offer last night, so we're waiting to see what comes of that. We are not interested in competing in any bidding war.

This had me drooling...

Looks like Hoovie’s.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,537
    Actually does. Could put a nice double decker rack in the back.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

The crazy YouTube Maverick owner dude just posted a long towing video. Not concerned with required breaks period. Or tow ratings. But good to know a 2.0t without the 4K tow package can apparently tow a u haul weighing about 3,500 pounds loaded without breaking a sweat. Even the FWD should easily handle 2K.

• greg128greg128 Member Posts: 529
    edited October 2021
    stickguy said:

Yes. He also has a gorgeous 1988 T Bird turbo coupe with about 48K on it that looks brand new. Only $17,999

I had one of those with the 5sp and enjoyed it until the head gasket blew. As I recall I paid about $4500 for it with 50XXX miles in early to mid 1990's and maybe a year and a half or so later after getting a quote of $1200 for the repair I decided to do it myself including sending out the head to be redone. A few months earlier I replaced a leaking heater core DYI that required removal of the dash which was also a [non-permissible content removed] of a job but I saved a ton on labor on both jobs. After those 2 issues I lost confidence and sold it with around 65XXX miles for about $3500. But I loved the look and the ride and although it was moderately quick for its time by today's standards it was slow.
    Technical question for those of you who are more mechanically inclined than I (the overwhelming majority). I recently joined a HONDA PRELUDE facebook group. Someone suggested that since I have to change my timing belt & tensioner (among other things), that I should use an aftermarket "manual tensioner" instead of the factory OEM "auto tensioner." A few people said that the OEM "auto tensioner" is a common failure point, even when replaced preventatively with each timing belt change.

Here's a link to the "maunal tensioner:"

https://www.kstuned.com/products/h22-timing-tensioner

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

@nyccarguy said:
    Technical question for those of you who are more mechanically inclined than I (the overwhelming majority). I recently joined a HONDA PRELUDE facebook group. Someone suggested that since I have to change my timing belt & tensioner (among other things), that I should use an aftermarket "manual tensioner" instead of the factory OEM "auto tensioner." A few people said that the OEM "auto tensioner" is a common failure point, even when replaced preventatively with each timing belt change.

Here's a link to the "maunal tensioner:"

https://www.kstuned.com/products/h22-timing-tensioner

Hmmm… I don’t think I like the idea of me being responsible for just how tight the belt is. A little off one way or the other and BOOM. Hasn’t someone made a superior hydraulic tensioner?

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,314
    That was an interesting video. Not sure how I feel about the guy taking off the not needed engine parts. Why did the factory put them on there in the first place?
    Nyc should ask his mechanic how he feels about the manual tensioner.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
    my take, leave it the way Honda designed it. At most, get an aftermarket improved hydraulic unit if you are worried about it. But it has been 20 years and a lot of miles with no issues, so why worry now? Not like you put many miles on it.

• sdasda Member Posts: 6,983
    Really, just how failure prone are the Honda parts? I think like so many things discussed on forums, exaggerations galore. Stay with oem Honda.

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

• 28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,390

On certain German makes I’ve heard of legitimate failure points where there is an improved part. But I’m not sure this is one where I’d listen to the keyboard experts.

2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible, 2015 Audi Q5 TDI
  • roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,355
    qbrozen said:

breld said:

Did I miss something about you moving to a new house?

vacation condo in myrtle beach. i probably kept those comments on the other thread.
    Congrats! As I've said, if someone offers me all the money for the farm we are building a home on Seabrook Island SC.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,355
    A friend of mine owns this complex:

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

@roadburner said:
    A friend of mine owns this complex:

Wow!

• corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,265
    qbrozen said:

Both. A property manager is meeting me there Monday.

Wow, neat looking place! Do you plan to road trip there, or fly?

I hope it works out well as a rental. My experience has been that property managers are a very mixed bag. Managing a property for someone else is often a very low margin business that requires a lot of labor.
    edited October 2021
    stickguy said:

That’s not supposed to be published yet.

Which is why I'm watching it before it gets nuked.

Edit: Ope, apparently a Ford dealer just lent one out to a couple of guys with a bunch of camera equipment? I bet they get a nasty phone call from corporate.
    I thought they were legit. Kept talking about truecar and stuff.

but can't blame the dealers. they have stock for sale units now, so makes sense they would be given out for test drives.

once retail sales happened and actual owners were posting videos, the embargo should have been lifted. Somebody at Ford screwed up estimating when cars were going to be out in public.

@breld - good luck with the offer! I'm sure with the upgraded garage, you could increase the size of your fleet.
  • fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,162
    Even in Spokane that would easily be seven figures.

2 mill + by me unless you go to the way out suburbs that arguably aren't metro seattle anymore...

edited October 2021

@corvette said:
    Wow, neat looking place! Do you plan to road trip there, or fly?

I hope it works out well as a rental. My experience has been that property managers are a very mixed bag. Managing a property for someone else is often a very low margin business that requires a lot of labor.

Thanks.
    We’ll see how it goes. I certainly don’t want to manage it myself.
    I’m flying down tomorrow. When we go as a fam, we are currently talking about splitting up, at least for this first trip. Otherwise, we may need 2 vehicles to bring down that initial stash of stuff. Makes more sense to spend $150 on two plane tickets.

The flip side is that I really wanted to bring the Jeep down for some offroading.

• tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,918

@breld
    Wow that is gorgeous! Best of luck.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

@stickguy said:
    Here’s one for you low mile, luxury land yacht fans.

https://www.euroasianauto.com/details/used-1983-lincoln-mark-vi/79550462

Nice example… but I’m just not a huge fan of those in 4 door. The Mark should have stayed two door only.

• Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,971
    Feel just the opposite here, think that 4-door Mark looks great. All I'd swap out is the alloys for a nicer set. But I really like it. We had a couple of Lincoln's growing up, the '66 with the suicide doors was outstanding looking and a couple vehicles later, the '72 2-door coupe in whit over white. My mom had a '70 Caddy drop top and had a bad skid in a torrential rainstorm and the next day, went over to the Lincoln dealer and traded the Caddy in all over the phone with my dad at the country club. Thought she was crazy as I loved that '70 Caddy drop top and I drove it a couple of times in the high schools homecoming parade as the lead vehicle.

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

What wheel would you swap for? Those lacey spokes were one of the top options. You could get the real wire wheels, but I prefer the Lacey or Turbines

edited October 2021

I was just poking around on LH and wow is all I can say. An equivalent build XC90 like ours is over $120 more a month same terms. Crazy.

Also noticed that Volvo no longer offers the S60 in the T6 power train. S60 deals are about $50 more a month than I’m paying for a $5000 less MSRP.

So glad I have until August to think about replacing it. I certainly won’t be looking at the S60 with less power and almost a second less to 60.

Van shopping this morn.
    Checked out the converted Transit first. I was less than thrilled. Felt slapped together. I expect more for the markup involved. And, to top it off, I don’t fit comfortably in the driver’s seat. Figure that one out.

The most annoying part was the salesman. Every criticism of ours was met with “its a cargo van!” To which I finally replied, “for $25k of add-ons, that argument doesn’t fly. I didn’t expect an $80k vehicle to have rattles, a nontelescopic wheel, and no keyless go.”

Anyway, wife spotted a benz dealer nearby and asked me to swing in. Of course, nothing available, but they had a cargo Sprint we could at least sit in. Instantly, we both felt more at home. The base cloth seat in the benz was far superior to the cushy upgrades in the ford.

Also glanced at the Promasters at Ram. They don’t seem to give a single thought to driver comfort. Mind you, I still liked the seats better than the ford, but even the upgraded ones only slid forward and aft and reclined. No tilt nor height adjustments. Weird. Oh and the steering wheel also had no tilt and was angled upward like a bus. Not great.

So, even without driving one, she is all about the Benz, I think even if it won’t fit in the condo garage. :(

• sdasda Member Posts: 6,983
    Has the mechanic circled back with what he has found on your ML?

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

Well, doesn’t look like we’ll be hosting Thanksgiving for the CCBA group this year.

The seller came back with a couple requests this morning…full list price and a slightly quicker closing. We hadn’t offered much less than list price, so both of those conditions were acceptable and we quickly submitted a new offer only to be ghosted for 5 hours until they finally said they had an all cash offer with closing in 2 weeks.

Possible they’re bluffing, but probably not.

All is fair, but we sure thought we were getting it for a short time this afternoon.

@breld said:
    Well, doesn’t look like we’ll be hosting Thanksgiving for the CCBA group this year.

The seller came back with a couple requests this morning…full list price and a slightly quicker closing. We hadn’t offered much less than list price, so both of those conditions were acceptable and we quickly submitted a new offer only to be ghosted for 5 hours until they finally said they had an all cash offer with closing in 2 weeks.

All is fair, but we sure thought we were getting it for a short time this afternoon.

Sorry to hear it. My wife would say “it wasn’t meant to be.” Or something like that.

@sda said:
    Has the mechanic circled back with what he has found on your ML?

Nope

• jmonroe1jmonroe1 Member Posts: 7,557

@qbrozen said:
    Van shopping this morn.
    Checked out the converted Transit first. I was less than thrilled. Felt slapped together. I expect more for the markup involved. And, to top it off, I don’t fit comfortably in the driver’s seat. Figure that one out.

The most annoying part was the salesman. Every criticism of ours was met with “its a cargo van!” To which I finally replied, “for $25k of add-ons, that argument doesn’t fly. I didn’t expect an $80k vehicle to have rattles, a nontelescopic wheel, and no keyless go.”

Anyway, wife spotted a benz dealer nearby and asked me to swing in. Of course, nothing available, but they had a cargo Sprint we could at least sit in. Instantly, we both felt more at home. The base cloth seat in the benz was far superior to the cushy upgrades in the ford.

Also glanced at the Promasters at Ram. They don’t seem to give a single thought to driver comfort. Mind you, I still liked the seats better than the ford, but even the upgraded ones only slid forward and aft and reclined. No tilt nor height adjustments. Weird. Oh and the steering wheel also had no tilt and was angled upward like a bus. Not great.

So, even without driving one, she is all about the Benz, I think even if it won’t fit in the condo garage. :(

SNOB. ;)

jmonroe

'15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)

@breld said:

You don’t feel any worse than we do. Maybe you can over bid and get it before it’s too late. Otherwise our wives are going to have to remember how to make that bird this year. I shouldn’t have said anything before it was a done deal. 😫

jmonroe

'15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
    I don't remember the Transit being uncomfortable on the 1,000 miles I put on it one weekend. But I was paying $52/day to rent, not $80k to own! Not Acura or Lexus seats by any stretch, but I have had a lot worse. And this was the high roof version, so headroom, not an issue. Considering I could stand straight up and not hit anything.

I know white over black is not a favored combo, but is an M4 suitable? 3 pedals, no opening roof, seems to have the right stuff!

https://carsandbids.com/auctions/36Waza4Z/2021-bmw-m4-coupe

• carnaughtcarnaught Member Posts: 3,498
    That M4 is detailed very nicely. Paging @roadburner to the white courtesy phone.

@stickguy said:
    I know white over black is not a favored combo, but is an M4 suitable? 3 pedals, no opening roof, seems to have the right stuff!

Given that this car has only 3,800 miles on it I think this is a car that @roadburner once owned and he’s dumping it because he thinks it’s to sloooow.

jmonroe

I absolutely love these. Looks like a nice one that must have sat a long time, but was refurbed correctly. Going to be more than much budget I assume. Pretty rare these days to see an original, low mile model.

https://carsandbids.com/auctions/rJlZQyaz/1982-toyota-celica-supra

for something newer, this is gorgeous. A few red flags (dirty carfax and a clutch at 11k miles) might be keeping the bidding down. Could be a fun toy.

https://carsandbids.com/auctions/3L0kbBO7/2015-ford-mustang-gt-50-years-limited-edition-coupe

carnaught said:

That M4 is detailed very nicely. Paging @roadburner to the white courtesy phone.

went without saying that I posted it for him!

• explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,314
    I see a hood repaint in the future of that Mustang.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
    saw that too. the OF special.

• oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,652
    stickguy said:

Buyer’s remorse or just cashing in on the crazy market?

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

these days, could be either or both!