Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Project Cars--You Get to Vote on "Hold 'em or Fold 'em"

Comments

• Options
    lemko1968lemko1968 Member Posts: 111

This was my 2007 Toyota Avalon Limited:

![](https://us.v-cdn.net/5021145/uploads/editor/ae/zkkapytpkdt5.jpeg "”)

• Options
    edited October 2021

1948 Chrysler Town and Country:

• Options

1956 Jaguar Mark VII saloon:

• Options

1941 Chrysler convertible sedan:

• Options

1951 Studebaker Champion:

• Options
    edited October 2021

1955 Cadillac Coupe DeVille. This one has factory A/C:

• Options
    sdasda Member Posts: 6,986
    lemko1968 said:

1955 Cadillac Coupe DeVille. This one has factory A/C:

The complexity of those first cars with a/c was incredible and were very expensive. I always got tickled thinking about the movie “Driving Miss Daisy” when Miss Daisy asks the chauffeur before they went on the trip in the similar year Cadillac, did you have the air serviced? He responds “Yes”, then mumbles with frustration, “but she never will let me use it.” (Something to that affect)

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

• Options
    tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,927

@lemko1968 said:

This was my 2007 Toyota Avalon Limited:

![](https://us.v-cdn.net/5021145/uploads/editor/ae/zkkapytpkdt5.jpeg "”)

My 06 had that same color interior. I preferred the wood color with that darker grey than the blond wood you got with beige or light grey.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• Options
    explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,320
    Forward to about 10 minutes. The under hood reveal is hilarious.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kuqdnwzUO7M&t=692s
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • Options
    stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,557
    I watched this one. Never saw anything close to this (real life, or internet). Anybody but the wizard and I would think they staged it!

I would not go near that thing to try and clean it out. Maybe douse it in gas and have a weenie roast?

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• Options
    gsemikegsemike Member Posts: 2,286

Forward to about 10 minutes. The under hood reveal is hilarious.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kuqdnwzUO7M&t=692s

Wow, that is wild
  • Options
    fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,171
    Took a friend for a ride in the fintail today, someone who is a few years older than me but has maybe never ridden in a car of that age. Not a huge car guy, so it was interesting to see what caught his eye the most. The operating differences were probably the big deal - he noticed the umbrella handbrake, notchy gear selection, unusual gauges, etc. He was also amused by the looks it received, and he noticed when a guy in a 55 Chevy gave a wave, and a guy in a 350Z gave a thumbs up. I think many people think it is a 50s car, he remarked something like he could imagine the car on "Happy Days". The car ran fine, started without issue after being idle for maybe 2 weeks.
  • Options
    andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,729
    I'm looking for someone with an extra 3.0 V6 Audi motor in their garage or back yard.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
  • Options
    edited October 2021
    Here's a 1965 Jeep Wagoneer that's the polar opposite of the wreck in that video:

• Options
    ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,095
    I like the Mark VIII, the '72 Ranger, and the time warp Camry.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• Options
    those MGs, a lot of work is a serious understatement.

I actually have a fondness for the Monza. Too bad it isn't a 4 speed!

• Options
    Took the old dear out for a drive today, got a few compliments - one guy called the car "a piece of art" or something, and a couple others had kind words, I heard a woman tell her young daughter who pointed out the car that it is "very old". Car ran and drove fine - I recently realized in all the house commotion, I forgot to book the yearly servicing for the car. Will have to try to slot it in soon or get in when weather is good.

Wide angle pic from earlier on this warm day, note the "For Sale" sign on the house is gone (closed Friday), now the real fun begins.

• Options
    congrats! I wish I had an extra lane of driveway that did not block the garage.

• Options
    fintail said:

Took the old dear out for a drive today, got a few compliments - one guy called the car "a piece of art" or something, and a couple others had kind words, I heard a woman tell her young daughter who pointed out the car that it is "very old". Car ran and drove fine - I recently realized in all the house commotion, I forgot to book the yearly servicing for the car. Will have to try to slot it in soon or get in when weather is good.

Wide angle pic from earlier on this warm day, note the "For Sale" sign on the house is gone (closed Friday), now the real fun begins.

Congratulations on your new home. Have you moved in? How exciting.

• Options
    stickguy said:

congrats! I wish I had an extra lane of driveway that did not block the garage.

Yeah, lots of off-street parking - 3 paved spots, and a spot beside the garage (previously used as a garden area, will likely remain that way although parts car storage is tempting) along with the garage, which is fairly spacious itself.
  • Options
    Just closed, not moving in til next month - have some cosmetic upgrades and a few repairs to complete, want it all done before I move in. Hoping to be in by the weekend before Thanksgiving.
    sda said:

fintail said:

Congratulations on your new home. Have you moved in? How exciting.
  • Options
    MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,319
    Congrats, @fintail!

Great to have the time to address the issues before moving in - should make settling in all that much easier.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• Options
    boomchekboomchek Member Posts: 5,516
    fintail said:

Congrats! Looks like a nice quiet neighborhood. Fintail looks great outside! So is your garage spacious enough for two vehicles? Or would it be a tight squeeze?

2016 Audi A7 3.0T S Line, 2021 Subaru WRX

• Options
    edited October 2021
    fintail said:
    Makes me wonder when the old timers that had attachment to these early 20th century vehicles pass on, will they retain their value and stay maintained by younger generations or become neglected?

Personally I think it's a cool car, but even if I had tons of disposable income and were building a car collection I wouldn't add anything from this era as it just doesn't interest me one bit.

• Options
    Thanks. Goal is to need nothing more than appliances (already ordered, but there are mild delays) at move-in. I will be busy between now and then.
    Michaell said:

Congrats, @fintail!

Great to have the time to address the issues before moving in - should make settling in all that much easier.

• Options
    It's a nice area, on the border between 30s/40s bungalows and more sprawling 50s/60s houses. Both cars will easily fit, and I suspect a lawnmower and snowblower won't be a problem either. Garage is roughly 600 sq ft.
    boomchek said:

fintail said:

Congrats! Looks like a nice quiet neighborhood. Fintail looks great outside! So is your garage spacious enough for two vehicles? Or would it be a tight squeeze?
  • Options
    The stock/restored cars have already crested, one can buy ordinary prewar cars cheaper than 30 or more years ago. These fancy rods might have crested to - these high end late 80s/early 90s builds that were a big deal in their day when affluent boomers and silents were into it aren't relevant to younger xers and anyone younger, I think. Someone may have put 150K into that roadster, but I can't imagine the seller will get asking price now, and I don't see that changing for the better with time. Not knocking the car, just noting tastes are changing as time moves on, but I suspect many sellers won't keep up.
    boomchek said:

fintail said:
    Makes me wonder when the old timers that had attachment to these early 20th century vehicles pass on, will they retain their value and stay maintained by younger generations or become neglected?

Personally I think it's a cool car, but even if I had tons of disposable income and were building a car collection I wouldn't add anything from this era as it just doesn't interest me one bit.
  • Options
    I agree. They're not really my cup of tea, even though the one in the ad looks well done. And definitely not for the next generation after ours, as my 12 year old son's car interests right now are anything European or JDM with a few domestic cars like fox body Mustangs or a Vette.

• Options
    That "Ford" roadster was an ill-advised spend even 20 years ago. I'm not sure what 1933 Ford pieces are even still there, perhaps a piece of a frame or cowl with a serial number stamping is all, most likely. The rest is an assemblage of aftermarket and non-Ford bits - all in the best street rodder tradition, but it really makes for a bit of a mongrel. When you built something like that yourself with the pieces that you could obtain easily, the end result was one thing, but when all you did was keep writing cheques to buy components from catalogs and have someone assemble them, I don't have a lot of admiration for that.

• Options
    I remember back in the early 90s, fancy build rods were a big thing, and early V8 Fords were the most popular. I seem to recall a guy building a higher end rod off a 36 Ford phaeton, then trying to sell it for something like 75K - this was in a small town, so it didn't sell. I think these also suffer from the seller's idea that his or his backyard mechanic's labor is worth the same as a renown shop, so they count it that way when claiming how much was "invested".

Today a restored stock example would likely be worth as much, and maybe be easier to sell, as they aren't built to one free spending guy's specific taste.
  • Options
    Iconic or exotic 80s and 90s cars are the future.
    boomchek said:

I agree. They're not really my cup of tea, even though the one in the ad looks well done. And definitely not for the next generation after ours, as my 12 year old son's car interests right now are anything European or JDM with a few domestic cars like fox body Mustangs or a Vette.

• Options
    @boomchek,
    A Fox Body pic for your son.

• Options

@boomchek,
    A Fox Body pic for your son.

I remember you had that Mustang forever, at least since the early days of me being on Edmunds forums (I joined in 2003 iirc).

It's nice to see you still have it. Finding a nice clean stock example is tough these days.

• Options

• Options

• Options
    Code 49 for 1972, a stock Cadillac color that year. Very attractive.

• Options

I’m usually a Lincoln guy… but I want that Caddy.

Not sure if it’s worth a divorce but,….

• Options
    the car hoarder in my neighborhood apparently has another old caddy for his collection. Already had an Allante, and a late 70s/early 80s I think fleetwood (the"downsized" RWD version). Hard to tell because they sit under covers.

new one is an early 70s barge Eldorado. But it is a coupe, not a last of the convertibles model. Don't see nearly as many of those compared to the ragtops.

• Options

My wife does not like my latest idea of keeping a classic car in the garage down the shore… I mean it’s a three car garage. Shouldn’t it have a car??

• Options
    tjc78 said:

My wife does not like my latest idea of keeping a classic car in the garage down the shore… I mean it’s a three car garage. Shouldn’t it have a car??

Seems logical to me - if you plan on communting to the shore by public transit. Or bicycle.

Otherwise, you'll always be bringing a car with you; no need to carry the expenses of a car that will sit a majority of the time.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

• Options

Ha ha. We only live about an hour and 15 away. Take the new car down and cruise in the classic to dinner, etc.

Never Gonna Happen … just a dream LOL.

In all honesty not a great place to store a classic even in a garage. We are across from the harbor and three houses from the bay.

• Options
    tjc78 said:

Ha ha. We only live about an hour and 15 away. Take the new car down and cruise in the classic to dinner, etc.

Never Gonna Happen … just a dream LOL.

In all honesty not a great place to store a classic even in a garage. We are across from the harbor and three houses from the bay.

One good storm surge and … poof!

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

• Options
    I like that vintage El Camino, but that seems pricey for a plain jane model like that.

• Options

Ha ha an early 90s 3.8 Taurus that’s overheating… almost guaranteed to be a head gasket.

Caddy looks interesting for that price.

The guy with the 93 Imperial is interesting having a parts car. I guess there is an enthusiast for everything.

• Options
    Did that first Cutlass used to have a bull bar on the front?
    That El Camino is a V6, too bad.
    Allante sure has a lot of buttons on the seats.
  • Options
    I like that vintage Sentra. Would be happy to have one. but not that one. Appears to have led a hard life.

Cool Civic. never see those on the road (though JRGO just put up a video about picking up a very ratty one with a friend of his, complete with Hondamatic). This one is interesting color, and seems reasonably sound. Fun project for a moderately handy hobbyist with some old school skills and tools! But the price seems ambitious.

like the mazda. Can't say I have seen one in the last 20 years. Hate the black wheels (which only appear in 1/2 the pictures though!)

• Options
    texasestexases Member Posts: 10,708

That rolling road block Falcon with the 170/AT combo sure does seem overpriced.