Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Edmunds Members - Cars and Conversations

Comments

• 28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,334

@mjfloyd1 said:
    No, it is Indigenous People’s Day

Beat me to it.

2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible
  • driver100driver100 Member Posts: 31,964
    mjfloyd1 said:

No, it is Indigenous People’s Day

There's too many things to celebrate:
    Oct 11 Monday Columbus Day Federal Holiday
    Oct 11 Monday Columbus Day State Legal Holiday Tennessee
    Oct 11 Monday Columbus Day State holiday 22 states
    Oct 11 Monday Fraternal Day State holiday Alabama
    Oct 11 Monday Yorktown Victory Day State holiday Virginia
    Oct 11 Monday Discoverers’ Day State Observation Hawaii
    Oct 11 Monday Native American Day State holiday South Dakota
    Oct 11 Monday Native American Day State Observation Oklahoma
    Oct 11 Monday Indigenous People's Day State Observation 30 states
    Oct 11 Monday Indigenous People's Day State holiday DC, ME, NE, NM
    Oct 11 Monday Indigenous People's Day Observance
    Oct 11 Monday American Indian Heritage Day State holiday Alabama
    Oct 11 Monday Boston Marathon (Tentative Date) Sporting event

I thought Columbus Day was everywhere in the country....guess not :o

2017 MB E400 , 2015 MB GLK350, 2014 MB C250

• snakeweaselsnakeweasel Member Posts: 19,290

@driver100 said:
    There's too many things to celebrate:
    Oct 11 Monday Columbus Day Federal Holiday
    Oct 11 Monday Columbus Day State Legal Holiday Tennessee
    Oct 11 Monday Columbus Day State holiday 22 states
    Oct 11 Monday Fraternal Day State holiday Alabama
    Oct 11 Monday Yorktown Victory Day State holiday Virginia
    Oct 11 Monday Discoverers’ Day State Observation Hawaii
    Oct 11 Monday Native American Day State holiday South Dakota
    Oct 11 Monday Native American Day State Observation Oklahoma
    Oct 11 Monday Indigenous People's Day State Observation 30 states
    Oct 11 Monday Indigenous People's Day State holiday DC, ME, NE, NM
    Oct 11 Monday Indigenous People's Day Observance
    Oct 11 Monday American Indian Heritage Day State holiday Alabama
    Oct 11 Monday Boston Marathon (Tentative Date) Sporting event

I thought Columbus Day was everywhere in the country....guess not :o

It's also National Sausage Pizza day.

2011 Hyundai Sonata, 2014 BMW 428i convertible, 2015 Honda CTX700D

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,439
    what luck. we had homemade sausage pizza tonight for dinner!

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

stickguy said:

Stick, Happy Sausage Pizza Day!

Well while we are at it let us all wish oldfarmer50 a happy National Farmers Day.

• imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,132
    Happy Columbus Day--originally celebrated 1792.

For those wanting to dig for the oldest years.

https://www.loc.gov/item/today-in-history/october-12/

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

Well while we are at it let us all wish oldfarmer50 a happy National Farmers Day.

I'll drink to that! Milk of course ;)

• jmonroe1jmonroe1 Member Posts: 7,466
    driver100 said:

Party pooper. :@

jmonroe
    '15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
    jmonroe1 said:

driver100 said:

jmonroe
    Well it's for the farmers...they grow milk, not alcohol. :p

SAturday is Boss's Day.

driver100 said:

jmonroe1 said:

driver100 said:

jmonroe
    For years I worked with a guy who had a smallish dairy farm, about 70 Guernsey’s. He said when he was a kid, after milking them he’d take a few nips of his fathers brew when he found his fathers hiding place in the barn for it until he got caught.

FWIW, I was never a big milk drinker but I do like buttermilk. Mrs. j won’t go near the stuff.

jmonroe
    '15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
  • oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,562
    driver100 said:

jmonroe1 said:

driver100 said:

jmonroe
    Not Exactly.

https://hvwinemag.com/harvest-spirits/

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

@driver100 said:

Actually a lot of alcohol comes from grains

• ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,031
    When I was working in the booze business I got a complaint one time about one of our local small distillers. They had introduced a vodka, which they made from local apples. Now, I never knew you could make vodka from fruit, but you can make alcohol from most anything that has sugars in it. Once it gets distilled a few times, the flavors are mostly gone and you have clear spirits.

What I did not know at the time (and neither did the distiller) was that there are international standards for what certain names of booze can contain and what they can be made from. When it came to vodka those allowed grain or potatoes, but not fruit. That was a dilemma. This outfit was making a tiny volume of the stuff, only selling it at their own storefront, wasn't going to export it, and wasn't trying to deceive anyone. What I ended up doing was writing him a letter informing him of the situation and letting him decide what he wanted to do. He told me his preference was to just carry on as-is for a while and see what happened. That was fine by me as I wasn't going to die on that issue.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,852

@stickguy said:

I’d rather have that than turkey.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

jmonroe1 said:

driver100 said:

jmonroe

driver100 said:

jmonroe1 said:

driver100 said:

jmonroe
    Not Exactly.

There you are oldfarmer, you have to turn your farm into a distillery...that's where the big dollars are.

driver100 said:

jmonroe1 said:

driver100 said:

jmonroe

driver100 said:

jmonroe1 said:

driver100 said:

jmonroe
    Not Exactly.

There you are oldfarmer, you have to turn your farm into a distillery...that's where the big dollars are.

Do you really expect him to give up his day job for that? He’s making a killing in tips alone.

jmonroe
    jmonroe1 said:

driver100 said:

jmonroe1 said:

driver100 said:

jmonroe

driver100 said:

jmonroe1 said:

driver100 said:

jmonroe
    Not Exactly.

Do you really expect him to give up his day job for that? He’s making a killing in tips alone.

jmonroe
    Who tips him?

bwia said:

Day +8

It's eight days post my Myeloma bone marrow stem cell transplant surgery. I feel and look great and just waiting for my energy and cell counts to recover to near normal levels before I'm discharged from the hospital in about a week or so. Thank you all for your prayers and words of comfort.

Oh, and them Red Sox, they are just the tonic a sick body needs to heal.

That’s great news, keep up the good work.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

jmonroe1 said:

driver100 said:

jmonroe1 said:

driver100 said:

jmonroe

driver100 said:

jmonroe1 said:

driver100 said:

jmonroe
    Not Exactly.

jmonroe
    Tips? Well, I did find a couple of dimes in a cup holder the other day. ;)

• andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,729

@driver100 said:

Actually a lot of alcohol comes from grains

Don't forget the GRAPES!!!!!
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
  • dad23dad23 Member Posts: 866
    edited October 2021
    Any idea what this car is? I'm not recognizing the nose...

• mjfloyd1mjfloyd1 Member Posts: 3,224

Looks like an Acura SUV to me

Excellent news @bwia !

window profile looks like an MDX. with a cow catcher nose on it. Tail has an Infiniti vibe, so if I had to pick would go with that.

• dad23dad23 Member Posts: 866
    stickguy said:

window profile looks like an MDX. with a cow catcher nose on it. Tail has an Infiniti vibe, so if I had to pick would go with that.

My kid says MDX too, maybe the angle but the front does seem weird, thanks!
    edited October 2021
    they did just come out with a redesign and I don't recall that nose, but the side profile changed, and that is definitely the old window line. could be a photo trick too making the nose look longer.

• qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,891
    yes, that pic is distorted. just look at that front wheel.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

ab348 said:

When I was working in the booze business I got a complaint one time about one of our local small distillers. They had introduced a vodka, which they made from local apples. Now, I never knew you could make vodka from fruit, but you can make alcohol from most anything that has sugars in it. Once it gets distilled a few times, the flavors are mostly gone and you have clear spirits.

What I did not know at the time (and neither did the distiller) was that there are international standards for what certain names of booze can contain and what they can be made from. When it came to vodka those allowed grain or potatoes, but not fruit. That was a dilemma. This outfit was making a tiny volume of the stuff, only selling it at their own storefront, wasn't going to export it, and wasn't trying to deceive anyone. What I ended up doing was writing him a letter informing him of the situation and letting him decide what he wanted to do. He told me his preference was to just carry on as-is for a while and see what happened. That was fine by me as I wasn't going to die on that issue.

According to U.S. law Vodka has to be a neutral spirit so it can be from any source as long as it's distilled enough to remove any color, flavor and order. So yes it can be made from apples.

ab348 said:

According to U.S. law Vodka has to be a neutral spirit so it can be from any source as long as it's distilled enough to remove any color, flavor and order. So yes it can be made from apples.
    This was not in the US. Our laws are different.

ab348 said:

ab348 said:

This was not in the US. Our laws are different.
    I looked it up and the Canadian law states that vodka can be made from potatoes, grain or any other material of agricultural origin. It also states that if it's not produced from potatoes or from potatoes and anything else it has to state "produced from" with the items it was produced from. So from what I have come up with it would be perfectly legal in Canada as long as it's labeled "Produced from apples".

mjfloyd1 said:

Looks like an Acura SUV to me

An Acura hearse maybe? With a cow catcher on the front end.

@qbrozen said:
    yes, that pic is distorted. just look at that front wheel.

? Fisheye lens?

I looked it up and the Canadian law states that vodka can be made from potatoes, grain or any other material of agricultural origin. It also states that if it's not produced from potatoes or from potatoes and anything else it has to state "produced from" with the items it was produced from. So from what I have come up with it would be perfectly legal in Canada as long as it's labeled "Produced from apples".

That is the definition since 2019. At the time it read:

"B.02.080 [S]. Vodka shall be a potable alcoholic beverage obtained by the treatment of grain spirit or potato spirit with charcoal so as to render the product without distinctive character, aroma or taste."

I didn't just pull it out of my wazoo. Since it was my job at the time I actually consulted with, y'know, experts, not some guy on the internet.

• 28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,334
    Confirming it is the distorted image of an MDX.
    2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible
    edited October 2021
    Today is National Dessert Day, according to my local Brio Italian Restaurant.
    Even in Canada...

• sdasda Member Posts: 6,936

Even in Canada...

Oh that looks good. Too early in the morning to tease like that.

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

@imidazol97 said:
    Even in Canada...

Well now I have to go get a kitchen sink.

• sdasda Member Posts: 6,936

@imidazol97 said:

Even in Canada...

Cruel and unusual punishment

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

That really looks... unappetizing.

@ab348 said:
    That really looks... unappetizing.

It's just a very large banana split.

sda said:

@imidazol97 said:

Even in Canada...

Cruel and unusual punishment nourishment.

edited October 2021
    I have bad news to report.

The 2015 S4 out of Arizona 11 months ago is no more. Cruising down the highway in top gear yesterday evening, a vibration, massive black smokescreen out the tailpipes, dummy EPC and Engine Lights, and loss of power. Towed to my Audi shop de jour by Triple A (95 minutes to get tow truck).

Short of 45,000 miles I'm getting a recommendation that I need (as suspected) a new engine, used or new. Very difficult to find a used S4 motor with such low mileage as mine. Ball park $7-9K for a used one 50 to 100K miles on it. Audi quoted $14,200 for a new one apparently.

The RISK of used cars.....:( :disappointed::disappointed::worried:

Of course, the shop manager says he's curious why the engine catastrophically failed too, since he's never seen one with low mileage fail, but that the diagnostic money for that is better put towards a new engine (used or new).
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
    andres3 said:

The 2015 S4 out of Arizona 11 months ago is no more. Cruising down the highway in top gear yesterday evening, a vibration, massive black smokescreen out the tailpipes, dummy EPC and Engine Lights, and loss of power. Towed to my Audi shop de jour by Triple A (95 minutes to get tow truck).

Short of 45,000 miles I'm getting a recommendation that I need (as suspected) a new engine, used or new. Very difficult to find a used S4 motor with such low mileage as mine. Ball park $7-9K for a used one 50 to 100K miles on it. Audi quoted $14,200 for a new one apparently.

Of course, the shop manager says he's curious why the engine catastrophically failed too, since he's never seen one with low mileage fail, but that the diagnostic money for that is better put towards a new engine (used or new).

That’s always my fear when buying a used car. Maybe that’s why I buy cars that can be left on the side of the road when something big goes wrong.

that is certainly a bummer. value wise probably worth doing the replacement, though at that point you are just wondering about the health of another engine. Not sure what it is worth dead though.

tough call.

andres3 said:

That’s always my fear when buying a used car. Maybe that’s why I buy cars that can be left on the side of the road when something big goes wrong.
    With used car prices these days you'd be forced to at least tow it to find out what your looking at....

Funny enough a young kid came by while I was stranded waiting for the tow truck and asked if I was interested in selling because he's bought cars from people stranded or with a broken down car before. LOL. He didn't make an offer. I took his name and number. LOL.
    I would say if you were in Kansas, to give JRGo a call. He just did an Audi engine swap on an A6 TT

How much is an LS6?