Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,504
    edited October 2021
    There are 4.3 weeks in a month, average. Otherwise there'd be 48 weeks in a year. Or you could do the 4-4-5 approach. Either way, it was a big deal when working with complex engineering budgets based on 40-hour weeks and, of course, twelve months in a year, with some stuff based on quarterly expenditures.
    '08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester
  • MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,012
    boomchek said:

Michaell said:

$195 bi-weekly...isn't that the same as $390/month? Is that a Canadian thing as I've never heard that here in the United States.

And, $390 Canadian dollars, which is around $315/mo USD

That’s a good payment for that car. Also.ends me to believe that the lease programs up north are much better for shorter terms.
    Surprisingly, most short term lease deals are pricey, at almost 50-100% higher payments than a 2 year lease. You need to do 4 years to keep payments low, except in Subarus for some reason. Residual is at a high $24k even though the sticker price is $32k. And on a WRX if you stretch payments over a longer term they don't go down at all. So to me it doesn't make sense to go longer term if I don't need to.

We don't have any access to Canadian lease programs; interesting that Subaru uses an APR rather than a Money Factor for their leases.

The only big brand to do that in the US is Ford/Lincoln - easy enough to convert from one to the other.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• rny421rny421 Member Posts: 160
    I kind have an itch for a convertible again... As you may or may not remember, I had a 2007 Sky Redline, which I got rid of because I was barely using it. I think a lot of that had to do with the fact that it was SO small, that it was impractical to even take on a weekend trip.

Looking at used convertibles that are available in a manual transmission, I've come to the 328i (would prefer the 335, but don't want to deal with the known issues) and the and Audi TT. Ideally, I'd like to be in the $15K range, but could go to $20K if it was right. A lot of these are up there in mileage.

Am I signing up for a world of hurt with these models? These are two that interest me currently:

2008 Audi TT

2012 BMW 3 Series

I am telling myself that patience will help me because even if I get a convertible now, I won't really be able to drive it because winter is coming. Also, there may be the potential for the impacts of the chip shortage to be alleviated come spring, bringing the values of these down a bit? One can hope...
    2017 Mercedes GLC300 | 2021 Audi E-Tron
  • 28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,386

Out of curiosity, what is the 24 month residual here on a WRX. Typically they’re not high enough over 36 month values to be worth it.

2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible, 2015 Audi Q5 TDI
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,515
    I would trust the BMW more. and for that much less would pick that one of the 2. But man, the folding hardtop decimates trunk space. But you do get a back seat to make up for it.

pretty wide net, NJ and Ill. I almost was at the dealer this week that has the BMW. Probably a little pricey (but these days, who knows) but I really don't like black over black on anything, and especially not a convertible. If that was colors I liked, different story!

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,968
    From all that I've been reading regarding the chip issue, looking like it's going to be 2023 before we get back to normal. I've read various articles which all suggest that things will start to improve by the end of 2022 but it'll be going into 2023 for things to be fully back to normal. And have a feeling that by then, there will be so many folks wanting to purchase that prices will still stay high as demand may well be greater than supply at that time. There will be a lot of pent up demand for folks wanting something newer so car dealers will still be in a great position...for awhile. For folks like me who want something newer but don't need something, waiting will be our best bet to be honest. Luckily, I don't drive that much anymore and we've finally found a very good mechanic that doesn't just throw parts at a problem hoping it'll work. And he's reasonably priced which means he's busy and one must make an appointment. Found him through word of mouth and he seems to understand German vehicles, which we have two of.
    At least for myself, I'm willing to wait awhile to get my next ride and hoping that those crazy bogus admin fees are a thing of the past as I won't pay them, no way...no how! I'll just find a dealer that no longer has them and purchase there. Down here in South Florida, there are many Toyota & Hyundai/Kia dealers, so have plenty to choose from. I've also added the Kia Seltos to my short list as the more I see of them on the roads, the more I like them. Gives me the added height I'm looking for but only drawback is I'd have to get an AWD model since I want the 1.6 turbo engine top of the line model. Don't really need AWD down here but might have to bite the bullet on this one but the Toyota C C is still the number one vehicle I want to look at.
    Volunteered to do a four hour shift at Toyota today, they have service from 7 to 4 on Sundays, so, gotta run! I'll be working six days in a row this week...am I crazy or what???

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

• fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,140
    Speaking of leases and how much of a seller's market it is at least for some models, another wonderful deal from an E-class group:

Just locked in my build for a 2022 E450 All Terrain. Not a crazy build and MSRP is $77,180. For a 3 year lease, 10k miles/year, $0 down, MB wants $1,619/month. Residual is $42,449. Per my sales rep, MB is offering no discounts and no incentives on the All Terrain. Might just buy instead.
  • rny421rny421 Member Posts: 160
    stickguy said:

pretty wide net, NJ and Ill. I almost was at the dealer this week that has the BMW. Probably a little pricey (but these days, who knows) but I really don't like black over black on anything, and especially not a convertible. If that was colors I liked, different story!

Knowing that my requirements narrow down the number of available vehicles (specific model, manual, convertible) - I'm not afraid of coordinating travel to get what I want. Actually, all of my cars have been purchased out of state (Maine, Rhode Island, NJ), other than the e-tron, which was delivered to me. Depending on how serious I get, I may have you take a look at it for me if you're be open to it B)

According to KBB, the BMW is $1K overpriced, and the Audi is $5K overpriced. I would think KBB has adjusted for recent inflations in the vehicle market, but who knows.
    2017 Mercedes GLC300 | 2021 Audi E-Tron
  • oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,646
    rny421 said:

I kind have an itch for a convertible again... As you may or may not remember, I had a 2007 Sky Redline, which I got rid of because I was barely using it. I think a lot of that had to do with the fact that it was SO small, that it was impractical to even take on a weekend trip.

Looking at used convertibles that are available in a manual transmission, I've come to the 328i (would prefer the 335, but don't want to deal with the known issues) and the and Audi TT. Ideally, I'd like to be in the $15K range, but could go to $20K if it was right. A lot of these are up there in mileage.

Am I signing up for a world of hurt with these models? These are two that interest me currently:

2008 Audi TT

2012 BMW 3 Series

I am telling myself that patience will help me because even if I get a convertible now, I won't really be able to drive it because winter is coming. Also, there may be the potential for the impacts of the chip shortage to be alleviated come spring, bringing the values of these down a bit? One can hope...

Certainly this time of year will give you the best price but by spring any sort of warranty from the dealer would be over. I’d hate to go start my toy after 6 months storage only to find it had problems that now aren’t covered.

I like that Audi. I was considering one in 2008 but the price exceeded my budget.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,789
    rny421 said:

Depending on how serious I get, I may have you take a look at it for me if you're be open to it B)

I think you would need to twist his arm pretty hard to get him to trek out just to look at / drive cars. :D
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,826

Out of curiosity, what is the 24 month residual here on a WRX. Typically they’re not high enough over 36 month values to be worth it.

Subaru USA leases are terrible for 24 months

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

That’s what I thought.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,262
    Great pics @kyfdx!

I ran the code reader on the Prius and the good news is that it's not the same code. The bad news is that its a P0420, which generally means a bad catalytic converter. The previous owner had the OEM cat replaced--I assume with an aftermarket--but I don't know how long ago. The aftermarket ones generally do not last as long as OEM, from what I can tell, so it's very possible it could have gone bad again. Anyway, I reset the code and we'll see whether it comes back.
  • jmonroe1jmonroe1 Member Posts: 7,544
    kyfdx said:

When did you put siding on your house?

jmonroe
    '15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
    that lease is absurd. borrow 77K @3% for 60 months, and that is only $1,384/month. and at the end of 3 years, would only owe about $32K on it

corvette said:

Great pics @kyfdx!

I ran the code reader on the Prius and the good news is that it's not the same code. The bad news is that its a P0420, which generally means a bad catalytic converter. The previous owner had the OEM cat replaced--I assume with an aftermarket--but I don't know how long ago. The aftermarket ones generally do not last as long as OEM, from what I can tell, so it's very possible it could have gone bad again. Anyway, I reset the code and we'll see whether it comes back.

Hint: You’ve got to remember the “tape” fix.

jmonroe
    '15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
    I have time Monday if you need me to go beat the snot out of it give it a nice gentle test drive. Not that I am any kind of expert, but I can spot the obvious stuff, and had decent spidey senses to tell me if something seems off.

the Celica seems to be missing a hood. based on that, and the mid-80's Supra wheels, guessing that it may not be stock, engine wise.

I like that though. I would be happy to have one of that vintage to toy around with, assuming it was not rusty (highly unlikely at this point, especially if it was ever used around here).

• roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,349
    edited October 2021
    jmonroe1 said:

corvette said:

Great pics @kyfdx!

jmonroe
    You might try Cataclean; it worked on my wife's X3 for about 10k miles. The final option is to put a spark plug anti-fouler on the downstream sensor.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• au1994au1994 Member Posts: 3,381
    rny421 said:

2008 Audi TT

2012 BMW 3 Series

I had a ‘11 328 coupe and a ‘13 335 convertible. The 328 is more than adequate power wise and both are a nice overall package. If you can find a 335 the step up from the 328 is…holy cow! Plus it makes a great noise with the top down. As someone else noted, trunk space is nil when the top is down but if its just 2 of you and a spare car, probably not a big deal. Plenty of info out there about potential faults. I think there are some window gremlins and you’ll want to make sure the top has been taken care of. All of that origami needs lubed from time to time. Nearly 17k seems a little dear to me but thats the world we live in.

2021 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4xe Granite Crystal over Saddle
    2024 Audi Q5 Premium Plus Daytona Gray over Beige
    2017 BMW X1 Jet Black over Mocha

corvette said:

Great pics @kyfdx!

Looks like it’s time for the old lacquer thinner in the gas tank trick.

https://youtu.be/Vtoa8XtwW-4

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

edited October 2021

$36,2 for the Outback. Bets how high this goes?

I have to laugh when I think about what a hot shot I thought I was in September of 2020 when I flipped the Crosstrek for ~1500 more than owed. That little booger would probably net me a positive 5k now!

jmonroe1 said:

corvette said:

Great pics @kyfdx!

jmonroe
    You might try Cataclean; it worked on my wife's X3 for about 10k miles. The final option is to put a spark plug anti-fouler on the downstream sensor.
    I ran a bottle through the Land Cruiser and cured a smell I was getting when I turned it off.

corvette said:

Great pics @kyfdx!

Looks like it’s time for the old lacquer thinner in the gas tank trick.

https://youtu.be/Vtoa8XtwW-4
    At the start of the lawnmower season I pour a few once’s of lacquer thinner in the gas tank. I know it’s doing something because the color of the metal at the outlet of the muffler is a beige color not the black that it was. That color reminds me of what a good spark plug looks like. I haven’t harmed a lawnmower engine yet doing that. I think my lawnmower looks forward to the first start-up in the Spring.

jmonroe

Between 66% and 69%.

However, the 24 month MF is .00260

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

au1994 said:

jmonroe1 said:

corvette said:

Great pics @kyfdx!

jmonroe
    I ran a bottle through the Land Cruiser and cured a smell I was getting when I turned it off.
    Your supposed to take the cat with you when you get out of the car. :s

jmonroe

@Michaell said:
    Between 66% and 69%.

However, the 24 month MF is .00260

Woof

• qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,934

Drive home was uneventful. Everything works, brakes are good (I had no idea you could still get rear drums on an SUV in 2010), tires are almost new Goodyears. It does stink inside. From our discussions and the clues, I believe it to be a result of him getting the interior steamed and then locking it up and leaving it for weeks. Just cosmetics.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

qbrozen said:

Drive home was uneventful. Everything works, brakes are good (I had no idea you could still get rear drums on an SUV in 2010), tires are almost new Goodyears. It does stink inside. From our discussions and the clues, I believe it to be a result of him getting the interior steamed and then locking it up and leaving it for weeks. Just cosmetics.

Nice looking - a good detail will have it looking great. Seems like a perfect fit for the intended use case.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

stickguy said:

the Celica seems to be missing a hood. based on that, and the mid-80's Supra wheels, guessing that it may not be stock, engine wise.

I like that though. I would be happy to have one of that vintage to toy around with, assuming it was not rusty (highly unlikely at this point, especially if it was ever used around here).

Front hinge hood. I'm a bad photographer.

Everything looked stock, other than an aftermarket head unit.
    I actually took this picture for you. 1977 model

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

RHD

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

@stickguy
    Celica interior

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

qbrozen said:

Once you get it a bathing suit and golf clubs, it’ll feel right at home in Myrtle Beach.

Let us know how it does on the trip down there.

jmonroe
    I forgot those were front hinged. not a lot of them around.

I like it. looks well used but honest. I would take it for a price that was not absurd.

qbrozen said:

The rust on that doesn’t look too bad although you can’t tell what’s brewing on the inside. Don’t let that hatch lip go too long or chunks will be dropping.

All in all that’s a winner in this market.

it does look OK for the price, if the mechanicals are as good as expected. Shouldn't be too hard to make some respectable backyard repairs on the body. just hope when you start grinding, you find metal before daylight!

• qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,934
    I already ripped off the silly window vent thingies. doused the interior with a delouser or whatever it is called. made for animal stinks. Started digging into the tailgate. Had the thought that, worst case, I can stick on a straight black trim piece to cover it. Kind of like how all the manufacturers do to their vehicles to make them look tough. I found a set of fender flares I think might work, so ordered those up. Have POR-15 and some bondo on the way. I'll see what I can do.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

@roadburner said:

Thanks. I’m being careful what I put in the tank on account of the rubber fuel bladder, which sometimes goes bad. If the code returns, I will do some research on the cleaner. Otherwise, I think an aftermarket cat is about $250-400 installed (source: my friend who had hers stolen).

Wife told me today she’d entertain us getting an M240 if I flipped both the ZHP and the Outback. This feels like a trap to get me to give up a third car.

It does sound like a trap, but intriguing, nonetheless.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

Wife told me today she’d entertain us getting an M240 if I flipped both the ZHP and the Outback. This feels like a trap to get me to temporarily give up a third car.

Fixed that for you.
  • mjfloyd1mjfloyd1 Member Posts: 3,271
    I’m not sure a 240 for a ZHP and outback is a good deal. I guess it depends on how attached you are to the ZHP
  • boomchekboomchek Member Posts: 5,516
    Michaell said:

qbrozen said:

Nice looking - a good detail will have it looking great. Seems like a perfect fit for the intended use case.
    Congrats! Looks pretty clean.

I always tell our detailers to avoid shampooing used car interiors unless they really need it. Otherwise the vehicles come back from detail, stay locked while on the lot, and the moisture evaporates fogging up all the windows and leaving a wet dog smell inside. You just need to vent it properly and put some air freshener inside.

2016 Audi A7 3.0T S Line, 2021 Subaru WRX

• xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,789
    corvette said:

Great pics @kyfdx!

If you're getting P0420 *after* replacing the oxygen sensors, then it's likely the unit just isn't up to snuff, or, like you said, it's actually gone bad again.
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,906

Nice find on the Escape Q. It has my favorite Ford exclusive feature on it!

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

Congrats on the Escape, Q. The body work looks manageable and I’m very surprised at how clean the interior is.

Wife told me today she’d entertain us getting an M240 if I flipped both the ZHP and the Outback. This feels like a trap to get me to give up a third car.

Interesting proposal. Would the Wrangler offer enough utility over the Outback? Certainly a good way to take advantage of the killer offer on it if so.

Take it for what its worth but I still regret getting rid of my ZHP. It probably would have been gone by now anyway for a variety of reasons but I still miss it.