Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

I spotted an (insert obscure car name here) classic car today!

Comments

• ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,029
    Saw an early ‘80s Caprice Classic 2-door, which must be rare these days. Looked to be in nice condition although it was sporting a set of 3rd-gen Camaro Z28 or IROC alloy wheels which didn’t suit it.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 240,090
    fintail said:

Saw another Malibu Maxx today, this one a high spec model with the big moonroof and SS style wheels. Also saw a Camry 5 door, yet another Tempo (are they all here now?), early Pathfinder which seems downright dinky compared to modern 4x4s, ~60 Beetle, pristine early Corsica with chrome/steel style hubcaps.

There actually was a Maxx SS - I think it had the 3.9L V6 in it.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,095
    This one was an LS or LT, I forget which. It had the normal V6 badge (I think they were all V6).
    Michaell said:

fintail said:

Saw another Malibu Maxx today, this one a high spec model with the big moonroof and SS style wheels. Also saw a Camry 5 door, yet another Tempo (are they all here now?), early Pathfinder which seems downright dinky compared to modern 4x4s, ~60 Beetle, pristine early Corsica with chrome/steel style hubcaps.

There actually was a Maxx SS - I think it had the 3.9L V6 in it.
  • roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,312
    edited October 2021

I had my dealer do a dealer search in his zone. I had a minimum idea of color and equipment I wanted. He had a notebook with a computer printout that was updated regularly. He used a ruler to show me what cars in the zone at other dealers were close to my color and option requirements. My '81 Monte was built in August '80 but I bought it 1/17/81.

In my mind (LOL), 'special ordered' means something different than 'ordered'. People in ads seem to use 'special ordered' to mean "It's not available, but (fill in the blank) apparently had clout and got it built this way when no one else's was", LOL.

I think the answer that's far-more believable is that in all the years since the car was built, that feature had been changed from original.

I only ever ordered one car...my '85 two-door Celebrity Eurosport, solid plum exterior, aluminum wheels, 2.8MFI V6, ERS sound system, power windows, cruise control, bucket seats. I was told six to eight weeks and it took twelve. My salesman, whom I had to ask to wait on me as he walked right past me in the showroom because I was 27 and dressed somewhat shabbily, made the mistake of telling me that he got a Monday morning update weekly, of where cars ordered were in-process. I'd call him every Monday, LOL. Then, when the car was delivered to me, it didn't have the floormats I ordered. His first response, "Did you pay for those?", as I pointed it out on the window sticker. He grumpily said he'd order them, and he did. He couldn't get me off the premises fast enough, LOL.

The dealer was Timmers in Norcross, GA. The salesman was Carl Haddon (or Hadden). Funny that I remember that. I have no idea if they're still there or not, but will probably look online now.

I ordered my Club Sport in August of 1995; Bright Red and Black were the only two color choices, while options consisted of a premium audio upgrade, a 25% locking differential, and a sunroof. I placed an order for a Bright Red Club Sport with the locking diff and the audio upgrade. BMW tried to throw a wrench into the works by announcing that all Club Sports would be built with a sunroof- which would raise the price by $1200- shades of the "Mandatory Options" Max Hoffman tacked on to 1600s, 2002s, and Bavarias! My salesperson went to bat for me and my Club Sport-along with approximately 10 others-were built without a hole in the roof. On October 10, 1995 my Club Sport rolled off the assembly line at Plant Munich and I took delivery of it on November 16, 1995.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• uplanderguyuplanderguy Member Posts: 16,055
    edited October 2021
    I figured my Celebrity would've been built at Oklahoma City, since the dealer I ordered it from was in greater Atlanta. It was built in Oshawa, ON. At the time that was a small 'irk' to me. I did like the car though. I ordered it with the tires and engine used in the Pontiac 6000STE, which was a darling of the car magazines at the time.

Most of that dark plum color (whatever Chevy called it) had silver below the body side moldings. Mine was solid color which I'm not sure i ever saw another one like.
    2024 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray 2LT; 2019 Chevrolet Equinox LT; 2015 Chevrolet Cruze LS
    RE.: Malibu Maxx--I used to get that era Malibu as rentals sometimes, with V6 engines. One trim level had seating Chevy called 'Ultralux'--it was like suede, but perforated. Those were nice driving cars in my memory.

To this day, if I see a Venza, it reminds me of a Malibu Maxx. One small thing I thought was a good idea in those Maxx's was that the rear seats were adjustable fore-and-aft.
    2024 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray 2LT; 2019 Chevrolet Equinox LT; 2015 Chevrolet Cruze LS
    Spotted a Suzuki Swift notchback sedan - imagine a first gen Geo Metro as a sedan. I think I have seen a couple of these around (or the same car). Also something that seems to have vanished while once being incredibly common, I believe an 89-90 T-Bird. I spot later versions of that style now and then, but the early ones are thin on the ground now (I suspect the 3.8 didn't help survival rates).
  • tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,852

@uplanderguy said:
    RE.: Malibu Maxx--I used to get that era Malibu as rentals sometimes, with V6 engines. One trim level had seating Chevy called 'Ultralux'--it was like suede, but perforated. Those were nice driving cars in my memory.

To this day, if I see a Venza, it reminds me of a Malibu Maxx. One small thing I thought was a good idea in those Maxx's was that the rear seats were adjustable fore-and-aft.

I actually really liked my Mom’s Venza. A 2GR V6 model would have been really nice. It was basically an Avalon wagon.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• andre1969andre1969 Member Posts: 25,653
    tjc78 said:

I actually really liked my Mom’s Venza. A 2GR V6 model would have been really nice. It was basically an Avalon wagon.

I think that's one reason I liked the Venza. It seemed more like a raised up station wagon, than a crossover. I know most, if not all, crossovers have some car in their DNA, but the Venza seemed to lean more towards the "car" end of the spectrum, and less toward the "wanna-be-SUV" end.

I just googled "Venza" to bring up some pics to refresh my memory...I didn't realize Toyota brought it back for 2021.

• imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,132
    edited October 2021
    Son bought a Venza last spring. It's high technology in higher model lines, more so than RAV4, which is related by an earlier platform.
    The Harrier cute SUV platform current model was even sold as a Lexus model in Japan for a time.

I was behind the earlier Venza model just now on way back from coffee run. Change the taillights on it and it would look like the Mercedes wagon crossover.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• texasestexases Member Posts: 10,685

I wish the new Venza was based on the Highlander, like it used to be. Now it’s a redone RAV4.

texases said:

I wish the new Venza was based on the Highlander, like it used to be. Now it’s a redone RAV4.

Platform TNGA: GA-K[5][6]
    Related
    Toyota RAV4 (XA50)
    Toyota Highlander (XU70)
    Lexus NX (AZ20)

Looks like the Highlander is built on the same base platform.

edited October 2021
    True, but the dimensions of the Venza match up with the Rav4, not the Highlander.
    https://www.toyota.com/venza/compare/summary/81995552021/81512652021/81818892021

So I should have said I wish they used the Highlander version of that platform, instead of the Rav4 version.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,188
    Rare muscle car

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,435
    I like that Buick.

Is the red car behind it with the wing a Torino cobra jet?

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

stickguy said:

I like that Buick.

I missed that parking lot.. no idea

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

stickguy said:

I like that Buick.

When I expanded the picture the door handle said Mopar to me, as did the rear wing, so I thought it might be a Duster 340. But when I looked for a pic, none of them had that style stripe. Except this one, which is a model:

It makes me wonder if the owner has or saw the model and told the painter to duplicate it.

Yeah, Duster. They had a number of different side stripes, I've not seen the ones my '72 had.
    I thought Duster first but at least in that picture (maybe it is the angle) the trunk looked too long and flattened out. But the side window in the back looks right.

couldn't find a good side profile shot but you can kinda see the window and deck on this one.

What about the logo on the right front fender that's showing partially past the
    hood of the Gran Sport?

Anyone recognize it?

edited October 2021
    On the road today got a wave from an old guy in a Sunbeam Alpine, hardtop on, don't see many of those out and about. Also saw a 60s Beetle and a 65-66 Mustang convertible on the road, along with an immaculate MB W123 300D and a Solstice.

What about the logo on the right front fender that's showing partially past the
    hood of the Gran Sport?

Anyone recognize it?

I didn’t even see it at first glance because it was so small, but I was able to expand it enough and suddenly the mystery is solved. That is a 1971 (probably) Dodge Demon, their version of the Duster, and funnily enough, those stripes are what Dodge used too.

• explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,254
    Saw this in the garage of one of the houses we looked at.

2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
    Gas station blocking pumps with cars while closed.

edited October 2021
    Zooming in on that pic of the Buick Gran Sport above, I'm seeing what looks like a Demon badge on that fastback car in question. But I can definitely see the resemblance to the fastback style on the '70-71 Torino.

I think being parked on a slope facing downward might be throwing off the proportions of the Demon.

**Edit: Oops, AB348 beat me to the punch!
    Pic of a similar Demon to the one above:

Gas station blocking pumps with cars while closed.

I could see that causing people to pull in to wait for the next available pump. :p

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

@kyfdx,
    When I first looked over there, I thought, "That station is pretty crowded". :D

@texases said:
    True, but the dimensions of the Venza match up with the Rav4, not the Highlander.
    https://www.toyota.com/venza/compare/summary/81995552021/81512652021/81818892021

So I should have said I wish they used the Highlander version of that platform, instead of the Rav4 version.

It’s all the same. Camry, Avalon, RAV, Highlander and Lexus variants.

In all reality the previous gen Venza was closest to the Avalon.

• sdasda Member Posts: 6,936
    ab348 said:

Pic of a similar Demon to the one above:

Why does there seem to be the need to jack up the rear height? Not only do I hate the look I would think it would transfer more bias to the front adversely affecting ride and handling. Good looking Demon, sharp in orange. The 340 was a great engine, ran circles around engines of similar size.

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

I assume for weight transfer drag racing.

Plus it looks cool. Mostly that I think.

Funny, I didn't even notice that it was jacked up a bit in the back. That picture also wasn't taken perfectly level. I notice if I try to line it up with the edge of this browser window, it looks like the rear tire is about 2" higher than the front.

But, I guess jacking it up in the back was a trend for awhile. I had air shocks on the rear of my '68 Dart for awhile, and thought it looked good when it was raised up. I also had larger tires on the back. 225/70/R14, versus 205/70/R14 up front. Eventually, I got tired of the tubing for the air shocks springing leaks, and it was sort of a "poor man's system", where you had to hook and air hose to it to raise them up, and then bleed it a bit to lower it back down. It wasn't like those fancy hydraulic systems that you could make the car raise, lower, hop around, etc.

Admittedly, I was also in my 20s at the time, so it was something I outgrew.
    tjc78 said:

@texases said:

It’s all the same. Camry, Avalon, RAV, Highlander and Lexus variants.

In all reality the previous gen Venza was closest to the Avalon.

Not sure I understand. The Highlander is wider, with a longer wheelbase. I'd prefer that as the base for the Venza. Like what Honda did with the Pilot/Passport.
    TNGA is scalable, so it is stretched for Highlander.
    edited October 2021
    Son bought a Venza last spring. Test drove RAV4 and various Venae.
    Said the technology in the Venza, built in Japan, is better and more
    up-to-date than in RAV4. This is all second hand; the salesman may
    have biased what he was shown.

He loves his Venza. Only short coming is that with the glass roof
    that changes light transparency they can't put mounts up there
    for their kayaks. They'll have to drive the Encore when they carry
    the kayaks.

I think the Venza is one of the better looking SUVs, along with the CX-5. I'm curious about the new Lexus NX, should be out soon.
    It would drive me nuts having a glass roof I couldn’t open!

You can get a Venza with a normal sunroof.
    I've given up on getting a new vehicle with no sunroof, I have no use for them, they kill headroom, which I need.
  • MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 240,090
    texases said:

You can get a Venza with a normal sunroof.
    I've given up on getting a new vehicle with no sunroof, I have no use for them, they kill headroom, which I need.

On what trim level?

My sister and I looked at (and test drove) the Limited. Fixed pano moonroof.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

Same when I looked at them. Only glass was the fixed panel.

edited October 2021
    You're right, my mistake, pano only on the Venza. I got it confused with the RAV4, which I've also been shopping. It has two different sunroofs available, both of which open.

I wish there was a 'delete' option, I'd pay not to have the sunroof/pano.
  • xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,758

Son bought a Venza last spring. Test drove RAV4 and various Venae.
    Said the technology in the Venza, built in Japan, is better and more
    up-to-date than in RAV4. This is all second hand; the salesman may
    have biased what he was shown.

He loves his Venza. Only short coming is that with the glass roof
    that changes light transparency they can't put mounts up there
    for their kayaks. They'll have to drive the Encore when they carry
    the kayaks.

Well, that seems odd. I have glass nearly down the whole length of my roof, and I carry a (almost literal) ton of stuff up there at times. No issues with the glass opening, etc., though I don't know why anyone would want to open the roof if they were carrying a load since the noise would be less than bearable.
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250

@texases said:
    Not sure I understand. The Highlander is wider, with a longer wheelbase. I'd prefer that as the base for the Venza. Like what Honda did with the Pilot/Passport.

I was talking about the previous station wagon Venza. I agree on the new one. It would have made more sense to make a shorter Highlander than a sleeker RAV4.

• roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,312
    My church had a fall festival combined with a classic car show. "Classic" was liberally interpreted, but that said, some nice cars showed up. My Club Sport and a Cayman S were the only German cars represented. There were two nice Cobra replicas, an LS powered RX-7, a clean 1969 Z/28, and a 1970 GTO. Older classics included a 1966 Coronet 383 and a 1965 Corvette. Oddballs included a mean sounding 1972 Maverick Grabber and a Starsky and Hutch Torino. There were quite a few street rods as well. I didn't get any pictures as I was busy handing out candy to several hundred trick or treaters.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

This morning, on two separate occasions, I spotted the same gold '77 Caprice Classic sedan, white-haired lady driving, looks like a three-year-old car, correct wheelcovers, tire size and whitewall width; sits nice at all four corners. I've seen it around here for a few years now but seems like I haven't seen it this year 'til now.

I just got back from a two-day trip to Mt. Airy, NC ("Mayberry"). Of course there, I saw a '63 Galaxie 500 police car (I know, Andy used the lower-line Galaxie) and also a '67 Custom 500 police car. My motel also had a '64-66 Ford stepside pickup with "Emmett's Fix It Shop" logo on the doors.

On the way home, on I-77N, a black Suburban, followed by a grey C8, followed by five camouflaged C8's--looked like shrink-wrapped in white and black paper with various geometric designs all over them, even over the rear glass--followed by a lime yellow C8, followed by a Porsche, followed by another black Suburban, merged onto the highway near Marietta, OH. One was either a convertible or a hardtop with roof panel removed, although it had no rear window. I played tag with the group for a good half-hour, maybe more, 'til they merged onto I-70 W towards Columbus. All had Michigan plates, and ones I could see up close were manufacturer plates. Obviously testing somewhere.
    edited October 2021
    A lot of good stuff in this short 63 Hollywood video.
    Got a chuckle at the end. Did they do what I think they just did? Yup.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xVEFcysEJ6k
    If only there was a video... :p

Thanks AB, fixed it.
    What's the unusual white 2 door parked on the right at about 0:36?
    Behind the blue falcon? I couldn’t get the video stopped right but gave me a Bentley coupe vibe.

Nice blowing of the red. Wonder if he creamed the turquoise Chevy or just cut the video before impact!