Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,925

@tjc78 said:
    Nice find on the Escape Q. It has my favorite Ford exclusive feature on it!

Do tell

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,293
    @qbrozen,
    Hope the Escape works out for you.
    Our old 04 had drum brakes in the rear, never had to replace them in the 145k we had it.
    Hope you checked the rear upper shock mounts. That's a common rust area and the reason we sold ours.
    I know what feature tjc78 is referring to. Very handy.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,488

I can only think of the entry keypad. Is there something else?

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,073

@qbrozen,
    Our old 04 had drum brakes in the rear, never had to replace them in the 145k we had it.
    Hope you checked the rear upper shock mounts. That's a common rust area and the reason we sold ours.

NOW you tell him. :o

A former co-worker lost his Taurus wagon to the same issue. A bit of a rude awakening when it occurs.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,413

Wife told me today she’d entertain us getting an M240 if I flipped both the ZHP and the Outback. This feels like a trap to get me to give up a third car.

Where is Admiral Akbar when you need him?

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,896

@qbrozen said:

@tjc78 said:

Do tell

Yes the keyless entry pad. I always liked having it, and never carried keys. I would just lock them inside.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

edited October 2021
    tjc78 said:

Yes the keyless entry pad. I always liked having it, and never carried keys. I would just lock them inside.

I'll have to look into programming it. Could be helpful to just leave the key in it.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

edited October 2021

@qbrozen said:
    I'll have to look into programming it. Could be helpful to just leave the key in it.

Factory code should be somewhere in the car (tailgate hinge maybe) or in a card with the manual if it’s still there.

Enter factory code, then press 1-2, enter new code, press 1-2

Factory code will always work as well as new code.

To open the car enter 5 digit code, then 3-4 opens the other doors, and 5-6 should be for tailgate (opens trunk on sedans)

7-8 & 9-0 locks it

Doing this from memory, so hopefully I didn’t miss anything.

edited October 2021
    @qbrozen,
    If the card with the code in not with the owner's manual, you try this video.
    I didn't watch it.
    https://youtu.be/mHoHnp0iX5A

On the Panthers it was always on the trunk lid hinge or on the keyless module in the driver’s door (DDM)

• MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 240,896

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,257
    tjc78 said:

The cracked plastic on the hatch?
    corvette said:

The cracked plastic on the hatch?

whatchu talkin bout?

• jmonroe1jmonroe1 Member Posts: 7,533
    edited October 2021

@qbrozen,
    I know what feature tjc78 is referring to. Very handy.

If you used your brakes more your insurance rates wouldn’t be so high. :'(

jmonroe
    '15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
    tjc78 said:

@qbrozen said:

Factory code should be somewhere in the car (tailgate hinge maybe) or in a card with the manual if it’s still there.

Enter factory code, then press 1-2, enter new code, press 1-2

Factory code will always work as well as new code.

To open the car enter 5 digit code, then 3-4 opens the other doors, and 5-6 should be for tailgate (opens trunk on sedans)

7-8 & 9-0 locks it

Doing this from memory, so hopefully I didn’t miss anything.

It sounds to me like it would be a LOT easier to just use the key. You young guys must have good memories. :s

jmonroe
    '15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
    Most likely the dealer can look up the code too. Easier than taking apart the door!

@qbrozen said:
    whatchu talkin bout?

That’s a third gen Explorer thing, almost every one you’ll see on the road has a crack in the plastic part of the rear hatch.

Explorers were well known for the cracked panel on the rear hatch.
    I watched a bit of the video I posted, it is for a 2010 Escape.
    tjc78 said:

@qbrozen said:

whatchu talkin bout?

That’s a third gen Explorer thing, almost every one you’ll see on the road has a crack in the plastic part of the rear hatch.

If I’m looking at that right, that’s the best looking crack I’ve ever seen.

jmonroe
  • 28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,382
    edited October 2021
    On my wife's proposed trade, she strongly dislikes having a third car and has been doing everything possible to remind me of that fact. I suspect if I get rid of the ZHP that will be it for a good long while.

Regarding the Jeep, yes - it is more than adequate for family needs. For a variety of reasons we are going to be a one kid household, which dramatically simplifies logistics. The Jeep has plenty of cargo room for sports stuff and travel stuff as needed and covers our desire for a 4WD vehicle to go to the mountains in winter.

There is definitely some appeal in combining fun car with daily car, especially having a garage parking spot, but I'm not sure what makes sense at this point.
    2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible, 2015 Audi Q5 TDI
  • Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,966
    Ditto for my wife. I wanted a "toy" a few years back, a BMW 3-series convertible but she nixed the idea immediately. Said it was a waste to have to keep my d d outside all the time while having the toy take up my garage space. Wasn't even the money to be honest as I could afford it with no problem, she just thought it was a waste. I didn't agree but just went along as it was easier at the time. But, even now, I'd still like a "toy" convertible and am hoping once we both finally do retire in a few years, we can get one. Think once we have it sitting there, she'll see the enjoyment of having it.

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

• au1994au1994 Member Posts: 3,371

On my wife's proposed trade, she strongly dislikes having a third car and has been doing everything possible to remind me of that fact. I suspect if I get rid of the ZHP that will be it for a good long while.

Regarding the Jeep, yes - it is more than adequate for family needs. For a variety of reasons we are going to be a one kid household, which dramatically simplifies logistics. The Jeep has plenty of cargo room for sports stuff and travel stuff as needed and covers our desire for a 4WD vehicle to go to the mountains in winter.

There is definitely some appeal in combining fun car with daily car, especially having a garage parking spot, but I'm not sure what makes sense at this point.

Sounds like its a win-win. The Jeep is decently roomy and there are some good sub 250 options for hitch mounted racks, above the tire racks or even a shelf to go in the cargo compartment.

2021 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4xe Granite Crystal over Saddle
    2024 Audi Q5 Premium Plus Daytona Gray over Beige
    2017 BMW X1 Jet Black over Mocha

I am definitely getting a 3rd car/toy of some sort when we finally move. My wife doesn’t care how many I have. Unless I try to take away her garage spot. Then she really cares!

No issue to her if I put a sporty car in the garage and keep a truck or beater out in the driveway.

My 02 Explorer had that panel crack. The dealer stepped up, way after warranty, and replaced it with my cost being $50.
    Of course, the new one cracked a few years later anyway.
    ok. was staring at my escape trying to find a crack. lol.

Ditto for my wife. I wanted a "toy" a few years back, a BMW 3-series convertible but she nixed the idea immediately. Said it was a waste to have to keep my d d outside all the time while having the toy take up my garage space. Wasn't even the money to be honest as I could afford it with no problem, she just thought it was a waste. I didn't agree but just went along as it was easier at the time. But, even now, I'd still like a "toy" convertible and am hoping once we both finally do retire in a few years, we can get one. Think once we have it sitting there, she'll see the enjoyment of having it.

I have the solution to your problem. I don’t know why you haven’t thought of it…park the “toy”outside. :s

jmonroe
  • mjfloyd1mjfloyd1 Member Posts: 3,265

@Sandman6472 said:

Or get a convertible as your DD

mjfloyd1 said:

@jmonroe1 said:

If I’m looking at that right, that’s the best looking crack I’ve ever seen.

jmonroe

I’m not gonna touch that comment :)

Go ahead, give it a try. B)

jmonroe
    Geico didn't seem to have a clue what to do about my "new" vehicle. The app wouldn't let me change the address for one car and told me to call. Got through to someone pretty quick. I explained the situation. She put me on hold for about 5 mins. Came back and said I'd need a whole new policy and I'd have to register it in SC. I explained to her how that isn't possible given SC laws. Put me on hold again for a while. Came back and finally said they could do it on my current policy. The location, however, kicked up the premium. When I added in NJ, it was $390/yr. Now, in SC, it is $460. :(

• andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,729

Wife told me today she’d entertain us getting an M240 if I flipped both the ZHP and the Outback. This feels like a trap to get me to give up a third car.

Having a 3rd car comes in handy for when engines decide to grenade themselves.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
    How about a 5th or 6th car?

;b

qbrozen said:

;b

The rule should be you can have no more than 1 non-running car.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
    I’m still working on the 2nd car…

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

• breldbreld Member Posts: 6,709

I will have space soon for your ZHP. :)

2024 Audi Q8 e-tron - 2024 Corvette - 2024 BMW X5 - 2023 Tesla Model Y

andres3 said:

qbrozen said:

;b

The rule should be you can have no more than 1 non-running car.
    Well, the nonrunner is #7, so I didn't count it. hahaha. The Benz was running when I dropped it off at the mechanic's.

edited October 2021
    Someone mentioned a harmonic balancer issue with the Audi 3.0 V6. That might be it. In hindsight I did notice idling at times the idle was rougher than it should be in terms of vibration QUALIFIER for an Audi.

Typically, at idle, your not even sure the engine is on at times, so any vibration can be noticeable. It was very minor though, and didn't think anything of it until........

I was thinking perhaps a bad motor mount as those are known to be a maintenance issue.
  • mjfloyd1mjfloyd1 Member Posts: 3,265
    edited October 2021

The rubber part lets go in the Audi 3.0T harmonic balancer/ crank pulley- the center part is rubber

breld said:

And I'll be happy to accompany @breld to the Pacific Northwest to help him shuttle it home to Colorado...

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Punch pending....
  • breldbreld Member Posts: 6,709

Punch pending....

I like the strategy. The wife doesn't exactly like having a 3rd car...so "I'll show you."

2024 Audi Q8 e-tron - 2024 Corvette - 2024 BMW X5 - 2023 Tesla Model Y

Not quite - she is on board with this :-)
  • au1994au1994 Member Posts: 3,371

Not quite - she is on board with this :-)

Well, guess I’m not working anymore today. Refresh, refresh, refresh…

2021 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4xe Granite Crystal over Saddle
    2024 Audi Q5 Premium Plus Daytona Gray over Beige
    2017 BMW X1 Jet Black over Mocha

• tifightertifighter Member Posts: 3,603
    edited October 2021

Punch pending....

Oh, let me get the popcorn. I'm looking forward to this one.

23 Civic Type-R / 22 MDX Type-S / 21 Tesla Y LR / 03 Montero Ltd

• xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,780
    qbrozen said:

Geico didn't seem to have a clue what to do about my "new" vehicle. The app wouldn't let me change the address for one car and told me to call. Got through to someone pretty quick. I explained the situation. She put me on hold for about 5 mins. Came back and said I'd need a whole new policy and I'd have to register it in SC. I explained to her how that isn't possible given SC laws. Put me on hold again for a while. Came back and finally said they could do it on my current policy. The location, however, kicked up the premium. When I added in NJ, it was $390/yr. Now, in SC, it is $460. :(

I admire the amount of effort you put into this. Honestly, I never even considered all of that. I just added our car to the policy; where and how we use it is really our own business!
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,780
    breld said:

You better take him up early on that, as I suspect there will be less room available very, very soon....
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,413

I'll save you all the suspense - we're going to sell the Outback to CarMax and clear just under $12k in equity on the lease. We're going to use that money to put into our little one's college fund and officially finish prepaying 4 years of in-state tuition here in WA.

In return, she is going to give the Tesla Model 3 SR+ a whirl - Midnight Silver (gray) with Sport wheels. Picked up an in-stock model drop. I figure worst case, we'll flip it and break close to even.

WOW! Bravo & well played!

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

We did a lease, which is $$ relatively speaking, but that way I'm not paying WA sales tax upfront.