Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Edmunds Members - Cars and Conversations

Comments

• oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,562
    Michaell said:

House maintenance question - I know there are opinions out there.

My mom's house needs a couple of exterior doors:

1. Service door from the garage to the side yard
    2. The "guest" bathroom also has a door that leads out to the side yard on the other side of the house; the current door, and whatever we get to replace it, will have a small window in it

Both are the original doors, now 50+ years old. My sister got a quote for them - materials and labor (including new door frames) was just shy of $6K. We think this quote includes a "lifetime warranty", which we don't care about, as we'll likely sell the house in the next few years.

These are, according to the vendor, the top of the line doors.

My sister will be getting quotes for some lower priced items, just to see what the spread is.

Fair deal? Too much? Any other thoughts?

Fair? Hard to say not knowing the house or what construction is involved. I know in my house the door from the garage to outside is a simple steel slab door which is under $200. I’ve never had a bathroom that leads outside but the big box has a similar door with a window for under $300. Installing exterior doors is an easy YT video job but again, on a 50 year old frame who knows what else will be needed.

https://www.homedepot.com/b/Doors-Windows-Exterior-Doors-Front-Doors-Steel-Doors/N-5yc1vZc945?mtc=SEM-B-F_D30-G-D30-030_024_EXT_DOORS-Generic-NA-NA-ETA-NA-NA-BT2_EntryDoors_Q3_Pro_Control&cm_mmc=SEM-B-F_D30-G-D30-030_024_EXT_DOORS-Generic-NA-NA-ETA-NA-NA-BT2_EntryDoors_Q3_Pro_Control-71700000032188263-58700003832414535-43700030625609900&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI586z8-LZ8wIVqAWICR3xlQWyEAAYASAAEgKB9_D_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• jmonroe1jmonroe1 Member Posts: 7,466

@Michaell said:

2. The "guest" bathroom also has a door that leads out to the side yard on the other side of the house; the current door, and whatever we get to replace it, will have a small window in it

Both are the original doors, now 50+ years old. My sister got a quote for them - materials and labor (including new door frames) was just shy of $6K. We think this quote includes a "lifetime warranty", which we don't care about, as we'll likely sell the house in the next few years.

My sister will be getting quotes for some lower priced items, just to see what the spread is.

WOW, 6 grand. They’re not only top of the line, they must be outer space vacuum tight doors. Since your sister will be selling in a few years that’s even more reason not to go the 6 grand route.

I’d get quotes for lesser so called quality doors but not junk. My experience says both decent quality doors should not cost a dime more than $700 without installation. Around here you can get a single exterior door installed for around $150.

jmonroe

'15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,200
    I don't think the door cost is necessarily the problem. You need to find a carpenter that will quote you a price for labor, then go get the doors from Lowe's or Home Depot.

Seems like she is getting quotes from a "general contractor".

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• driver100driver100 Member Posts: 31,964
    jmonroe1 said:

@ab348 said:

Just pulled the trigger on getting a new roof installed on my house. I'm sure this will be fodder for lots of conversations here as it progresses!

One thing this highlighted for me already was something that goes back a dozen or so years to when I was still working. My then-boss was a big believer in the Kolbe personality index, which gives each person a score in 4 different areas. Now, I always found it and others like it a bit voodoo-ish and never put a whole lot of stock in them. But when I did the questionnaire, it pegged me as a "fact finder" at the high end of that scale. This actually seemed to make sense as I was always good at doing research and gathering information before making a decision. I realized that carried forward into my personal life as well when it came to making buying decisions and the like.

That tendency kicked in during this process when I was reviewing the estimates I received. The various companies I got estimates from had already been pre-screened by me by looking at a variety of sources for reviews online and only getting estimates from ones that had good reputations there. Then when the estimates came in they proposed different types of shingles, so I had to research those. That was a bit of an eye-opener. I was most familiar with the Iko brand as that is what seems to be most popular around here, but online they are most definitely a mixed bag of reviews and are not particularly well thought of. One of the better quotes I got was for CertainTeed shingles, which seem to generally be considered superior. So for a $200 price difference from a company that gave me a good feeling about their estimating process, I went with those. One of the other things I liked about these guys was that they use 6 nails per shingle whereas all the others used the standard 4 nails.

However, you left out the major consideration when choosing a roofer. That is, are the nails hand hammered or pneumatic gun driven? Something tells me the guys that are using 6 nails per shingle ain’t hand hammering them.

jmonroe

Our roof is still holding up well......hand hammered is the way to go!

2017 MB E400 , 2015 MB GLK350, 2014 MB C250

• snakeweaselsnakeweasel Member Posts: 19,290

I just got a flyer from the local Mitsubishi store advertising a lease on an Eclipse Cross for $209/mo. Sounded good but then I noticed a list of conditions in such fine print I needed a magnifying glass to read them.

Among the conditions were a $3500 down payment, additional charges for features shown and a bunch of other stuff that would leave $209/mo. in the rear view mirror.

Does this kind of hocum really work? Do people see a low monthly and run right out before reading the fine print? And what happens when they get there and their $209 suddenly balloons to $400? What kind of sales skill does it take to convert an outraged customer into a sale?

I read the fine print, it's a lot of words to say good luck getting that $209 payment.

2011 Hyundai Sonata, 2014 BMW 428i convertible, 2015 Honda CTX700D

ab348 said:

Just pulled the trigger on getting a new roof installed on my house. I'm sure this will be fodder for lots of conversations here as it progresses!

One thing this highlighted for me already was something that goes back a dozen or so years to when I was still working. My then-boss was a big believer in the Kolbe personality index, which gives each person a score in 4 different areas. Now, I always found it and others like it a bit voodoo-ish and never put a whole lot of stock in them. But when I did the questionnaire, it pegged me as a "fact finder" at the high end of that scale. This actually seemed to make sense as I was always good at doing research and gathering information before making a decision. I realized that carried forward into my personal life as well when it came to making buying decisions and the like.

That tendency kicked in during this process when I was reviewing the estimates I received. The various companies I got estimates from had already been pre-screened by me by looking at a variety of sources for reviews online and only getting estimates from ones that had good reputations there. Then when the estimates came in they proposed different types of shingles, so I had to research those. That was a bit of an eye-opener. I was most familiar with the Iko brand as that is what seems to be most popular around here, but online they are most definitely a mixed bag of reviews and are not particularly well thought of. One of the better quotes I got was for CertainTeed shingles, which seem to generally be considered superior. So for a $200 price difference from a company that gave me a good feeling about their estimating process, I went with those. One of the other things I liked about these guys was that they use 6 nails per shingle whereas all the others used the standard 4 nails.

I wonder how much better is using 6 nails as opposed to 4. Is it the roofer equivalent of lather rinse repeat?

We had our roof replaced last year and the same people are coming this weekend to replace the gutters. It's pricy due to the fact that they built the houses in this sub division with Omni gutters which means a complete redo of the facets and everything.

@snakeweasel said:
    I wonder how much better is using 6 nails as opposed to 4. Is it the roofer equivalent of lather rinse repeat?

We had our roof replaced last year and the same people are coming this weekend to replace the gutters. It's pricy due to the fact that they built the houses in this sub division with Omni gutters which means a complete redo of the facets and everything.

Using 6 nails vs. 4 provides 50% more hold down strength. It also adds 50% more to the nail cost. Let’s ignore the additional installation time since they’re not hand hammering them but it is more wear on the pneumatic nailer. Now, is this needed? Probably not unless you’re in a high wind area most of the time. But it sounds good.

jmonroe

'15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
  • andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,729
    edited October 2021
    Speaking of nails, it reminds me of the old wood stairs in my prior home which was in a condo. The planks of the stairs eventually come loose due to being nailed instead of screwed. My money is on the screws lasting many more "lifetimes" before the planks are jarred loose again.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion

@andres3 said:
    Speaking of nails, it reminds me of the old wood stairs in my prior home which was in a condo. The planks of the stairs eventually come loose due to being nailed instead of screwed. My money is on the screws lasting many more "lifetimes" before the planks are jarred loose again.

Most stairs are factory built today and the sides of the treads are fit into dado joints on each stinger and tightened in the stringer with wedges/shims and glue. Then a few pneumatic driven nails hold everything in place until the glue dries. Done properly they almost never come lose or squeak.

jmonroe

• explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,256
    On Saturday, we have a realtor coming over to review our house to see what we need to do to sell it.
    Not sure what is important to buyers as far as things that need fixing. Things we might think are important may not be.
    We like this house, inside and out, but there are also things we don't like or are missing.
    Had water in the basement at some point, but may be fixed.
    There is some issue with the chimney.
    Mechanicals are old.
    May be an issue with the roof down by the gutters, but I'm not sure.
    No patio area.
    We also spec'ed out a new build, but I'm not happy with the lots.
    https://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/1788-Hunters-Point-Ln_Westlake_OH_44145_M35643-77664
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,439
    good luck. You are better off in a sellers market since buyers can't be as picky. Generally I think you want to repair obvious problems that will hurt offers, and likely to be flagged in an inspection. And basic cosmetics. So if you have rotted trim by the front door, fix it. paint the hallway if it is dirty. replace a broken faucet or a window pane that blew out the seal and is foggy inside. And of course, make it clean and sparkly.

but don't spend a bunch remodeling the kitchen, or replacing all the mechanicals if they are just old but still work. Not likely to get ROI on that. But do anything cheap especially if you can DIY it. and declutter (my wife did not like hearing that message from the agent!) Let the buyer do it their way.

pro tip: if someone in the house is attached to their "stuff", don't call it decluttering. Just say you need to pre-pack! and do that if you are planning to take with you (of course, the more you can get rid of before you go the better, and just get rid of it before listing).

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

jmonroe1 said:

@andres3 said:

Most stairs are factory built today and the sides of the treads are fit into dado joints on each stinger and tightened in the stringer with wedges/shims and glue. Then a few pneumatic driven nails hold everything in place until the glue dries. Done properly they almost never come lose or squeak.

jmonroe

Even better if hammered by hand.

edited October 2021
    I got this email today. I haven't ordered anything from U.P.S. that I know of. The addresses seem phony since they don't contain the name UPS in them. What say you?

-------- Original Message --------
    From: officeuser-secure-delivery-failed-no-id-86294715661-eday5@cogeco.ca
    Date: Oct 20, 2021 5:58:18 PM
    Subject: UPS unsuccessful delivery - 10312975447/10/20/2021 9:58:15 p.m.
    To: Driver100

-Your Parcel Number #886702644225# is on the way.
    -Your Package is stopped at our post.

-A $2.20 shipping cost have not been paid.

-If shipping cost is not paid, the package will be returned.

-Pay Now
    -Package Information:

-Status Parcel being hold at Terminal 2

-Parcel Number : #104264991#
    -Weight 0,041 kg

===================================================

-Total: 0.00$

-Sending Costs: $2.20
    -Grand Total: $2.20

"Do they just want my credit card number & cogeco.ca is a local internet provider.".

• roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,312
    The bathroom remodel is nearly finished, the countertop installers were real screw-ups, but the contractor straightened everything out. I know it was in large part due to the countertop company losing good installers and replacing them with wingnuts.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

jmonroe1 said:

@snakeweasel said:

Using 6 nails vs. 4 provides 50% more hold down strength. It also adds 50% more to the nail cost. Let’s ignore the additional installation time since they’re not hand hammering them but it is more wear on the pneumatic nailer. Now, is this needed? Probably not unless you’re in a high wind area most of the time. But it sounds good.

jmonroe

I would question the fact that 6 nails vs 4 provides 50% more hold down strength. I would think that with something the size of a roof shingle that at 4 you are at the point of diminishing returns, each additional nail adds less additional hold down strength than the previous one. I would think that with 6 you have nails that are duplicating the effort of other nails.

• qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,891
    edited October 2021

@driver100 said:
    I got this email today. I haven't ordered anything from U.P.S. that I know of. The addresses seem phony since they don't contain the name UPS in them. What say you?

-Pay Now

-Package Information:

-Weight 0,041 kg

"Do they just want my credit card number & cogeco.ca is a local internet provider.".

You’re kidding, right? Even if you thought you might believe this, why wouldn’t you at least first track the package using the number provided?

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

edited October 2021
    driver100 said:

-Pay Now
    -Package Information:

-Weight 0,041 kg

Delete the email and empty the deleted items file.

I love Wednesdays- I handle the probation revocation docket. I'll cut a defendant some slack for a minor violation, but some of them honestly believe they should get a minor sanction no matter how bad they have screwed up. Here's a recent excerpt:

Me: So Mr. Smith, aside from testing positive for meth, lying to your probation officer, and picking up new felony charges in two different counties, you expect the judge to believe that you've been a model citizen?

Mr. Smith: YES!

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,499
    qbrozen said:

. . . why wouldn’t you at least first track the package using the number provided?

Good question.

'08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester
  • 28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,334
    edited October 2021

@driver100 said:

-Pay Now

-Package Information:

-Weight 0,041 kg

And this is why scammers keep sending these. Because someone buys into it.

2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible

@snakeweasel said:
    I would question the fact that 6 nails vs 4 provides 50% more hold down strength. I would think that with something the size of a roof shingle that at 4 you are at the point of diminishing returns, each additional nail adds less additional hold down strength than the previous one. I would think that with 6 you have nails that are duplicating the effort of other nails.

It’s simple math 6 nails provide more hold down strength compared to 4. If you put nails clear across the shingle butting their heads together you would have the most hold down strength possible for that shingle but it is obviously not needed and this would be a case for diminishing returns. 6 nails vs. 4 is probably overkill too but it is still stronger than 4.

jmonroe

@roadburner said:
    I love Wednesdays- I handle the probation revocation docket. I'll cut a defendant some slack for a minor violation, but some of them honestly believe they should get a minor sanction no matter how bad they have screwed up. Here's a recent excerpt:

Me: So Mr. Smith, aside from testing positive for meth, lying to your probation officer, and picking up new felony charges in two different counties, you expect the judge to believe that you've been a model citizen?

How do you hold a straight face when hearing that? Are there law courses to prepare a judge for this?

jmonroe

jmonroe1 said:

@snakeweasel said:

It’s simple math 6 nails provide more hold down strength compared to 4. If you put nails clear across the shingle butting their heads together you would have the most hold down strength possible for that shingle but it is obviously not needed and this would be a case for diminishing returns. 6 nails vs. 4 is probably overkill too but it is still stronger than 4.

jmonroe

I'm not saying that 6 nails isn't stronger than 4, I'm saying that it's likely not 50% stronger.

@snakeweasel said:
    I'm not saying that 6 nails isn't stronger than 4, I'm saying that it's likely not 50% stronger.

All things being equal like the size and strength of the nails, the strength of the shingle at the nailing point, the uniform spacing of the nails, the strength of the roofing material at all of the nailing points, the same technique used to nail the shingle at the additional nailing points, etc. math says that it is but you’re entitled to think differently.

jmonroe

edited October 2021
    qbrozen said:

@driver100 said:

-Package Information:

-Weight 0,041 kg

You’re kidding, right? Even if you thought you might believe this, why wouldn’t you at least first track the package using the number provided?

I did track it and it seems a Nigerian Prince wants to send me 5 gold bars.
    I posted it so everyone could see this new scam, and to possibly see if someone had any more observations about what is wrong with it!
    btw, I didn't track it just in case they can get some information like my email address from me emailing them.

• explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,256
    @driver100,
    As soon as I send the cash to cover shipping, my 5 gold bars will be on the way! ;)
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
    edited October 2021

@driver100 said:
    I did track it and it seems a Nigerian Prince wants to send me 5 gold bars.
    I posted it so everyone could see this new scam, and to possibly see if someone had any more observations about what is wrong with it!
    btw, I didn't track it just in case they can get some information like my email address from me emailing them.

You don’t email anybody. Copy the number and paste it into UPS tracking on UPS.com. Hint: number is not valid.

Ok, here is a general tip: Never click a link in an email that is even remotely suspicious. Go to the actual website using your browser. For example: You get an email from amazon asking you to reset your password. Delete email. Then open browser, go to amazon.com and log into your account that way and see if you got a message from them.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,031
    edited October 2021
    I had a somewhat similar thing hit my inbox two different times over the last week or so. My prescriptions come from Shoppers Drug Mart which is a national chain here in Canada owned by Loblaws. They have a loyalty program which earns you points that provide discounts at cash when you choose to use them.

Twice I received emails containing the company logo inviting me to enter some sort of contest after completing a survey. Loblaws sends out legit surveys quite often but this one looked nothing like the ones in the past, and the email domain it came from wasn't any of theirs either. There was enough sloppiness in the composition of the message to make me conclude it was bogus, and after looking at the headers of the message in detail it became somewhat obvious that this was some sort of nefarious thing. But it was done well enough that I suppose someone not quite so suspicious might have been taken in. When a second one came a few days later the various domains in the header were all different from the first one but the rest of it was very similar, confirming my suspicions that they were trying to access my points. It's a jungle out there.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

@qbrozen @ab348 People are being scammed every day with emails similar to the UPS one.
    It is unfortunate that some people creatures find this is an OK way to try and make a living. The UPS scam was fairly easy to spot, but I would guess some scammers will get better and better at it........we have to stay alert. It sounds like the Shoppers one was a little more sophisticated....can't let your guard down.

From Owens Corning:
    Install the recommended number of nails per shingle. For Duration® Series shingles, Owens Corning recommends using either a 4- or 6-nail fastening pattern depending on the roof’s slope and building code requirements. In most cases, 4 nails are adequate.

Next time, please don't create posts with links no one should be clicking on..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• bwiabwia Member Posts: 2,913

On Saturday, we have a realtor coming over to review our house to see what we need to do to sell it.
    Not sure what is important to buyers as far as things that need fixing. Things we might think are important may not be.
    We like this house, inside and out, but there are also things we don't like or are missing.
    Had water in the basement at some point, but may be fixed.
    There is some issue with the chimney.
    Mechanicals are old.
    May be an issue with the roof down by the gutters, but I'm not sure.
    No patio area.
    We also spec'ed out a new build, but I'm not happy with the lots.
    https://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/1788-Hunters-Point-Ln_Westlake_OH_44145_M35643-77664

I would not do anything to sell it. In the process of refurbishing you might discover unexpected surprises that cost more than expected and thus eat into your profit.

BTW, we have been approached by a neighbor who wants to buy our condo. We have no idea as to price as there are so few comparison units. Our condo is a townhouse style, one of only two units in a 20 unit building. It looks less and less that we will re-occupy the unit and current asking rent is about half market rent. Personally, I'd like hold unto it for a while but my daughters want a quick private sale.

Tesla made $1.6 billion in the three months ending in September, the second quarter in a row that its profit has exceeded the billion-dollar mark.

The bottom-line figure exceeded the $1.1 billion it made in the second quarter and was nearly five times its profit from the third quarter of 2020. https://www.nytimes.com/2021/10/20/business/tesla-earnings.html
  • MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 240,145
    bwia said:

Tesla made $1.6 billion in the three months ending in September, the second quarter in a row that its profit has exceeded the billion-dollar mark.

The bottom-line figure exceeded the $1.1 billion it made in the second quarter and was nearly five times its profit from the third quarter of 2020. https://www.nytimes.com/2021/10/20/business/tesla-earnings.html

And, how much of that was from vehicle sales, and how much from selling energy credits to other companies?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• benjaminhbenjaminh Member Posts: 6,311
    Esp. now that Tesla is making nice profits, I expect them to be able to do more when it comes to vehicle service and quality control. Tesla is actually planning a service center for my city of Louisville that will probably open in about a year or so. If in five years or so they have a high-quality EV with at least 300 miles of real-world range for c. 30k I might consider getting one.
    2018 Acura TLX 2.4 Tech 4WS (mine), 2018 Honda CR-V EX AWD (wife's)
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,132
    My email provider uses an email screener. They used to use a known brand name from decades of internet security but they recently changed or upgraded. Now I get an email from the provider with a list of emails they quarantined and I can choose if any of them are ones I want to have sent to my inbox.

I haven't seen one yet. I pay the provider $60/an for their service. It's done by a local Dayton Metro provider of services to businesses.

My address is not a common one, so I don't get the typical spam for gmail or yahoo or other providers of free accounts.

It's worth it.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

@Michaell said:

Several years ago we paid $5982 for two exterior doors(one with a storm door). We have no plans for selling the house so we decided to go with top of the line doors. We obtained three quotes and all three were relatively close. We went with the company that appeared to be the most professional and we were very happy with the results.

edited October 2021

@jmonroe1 said:

@roadburner said:

How do you hold a straight face when hearing that? Are there law courses to prepare a judge for this?

jmonroe

When I was a judge I had a hard time keeping a straight face more than once. A couple of prosecutors would usually try and crack me up. As I’ve said before, the court I presided over for 22 years was just about the same as _Night Court _- which itself was the most accurate depiction of a court of limited jurisdiction you will ever find.
    Now that I’m a prosecutor I have a bit more leeway. The judge I practice in front of tolerates my sense of humor because I don’t waste his time. For example, when my predecessor had the revocation docket it would often last for 4-5 hours. I usually don’t take more than 2 hours because I conference the cases I can settle before the docket starts.

• benjaminhbenjaminh Member Posts: 6,311
    Currently in Arizona three huge microchip factories are being built at a cost of more than $30 billion. We can guess that by around 2024 or so that will solve all the chip problems for vehicle production for the foreseeable future. But until then it might continue to be a struggle.

https://www.reuters.com/technology/intel-breaks-ground-20-bln-arizona-plants-us-chip-factory-race-heats-up-2021-09-24/

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/06/04/why-intel-tsmc-are-building-water-dependent-chip-plants-in-arizona.html

"....The biggest semiconductor manufacturers in the world are quickly trying to build new factories as the global chip crisis continues to wreak havoc on a plethora of industries. U.S. semiconductor giant Intel announced in March that it plans to spend $20 billion on two new chip plants in Arizona. Separately, TSMC (Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Company) said it was going to build a $12 billion factory in Arizona, and chief executive C.C. Wei said Wednesday that construction had already begun...."
    2018 Acura TLX 2.4 Tech 4WS (mine), 2018 Honda CR-V EX AWD (wife's)
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,439
    Talk of adding one in NY too (up near Albany). A better place, since chip manufacturing is water intensive I think, and that’s not a selling point in AZ right now.

But definitely going to help having more production capacity anywhere, and especially domestically .

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

Michaell said:

bwia said:

And, how much of that was from vehicle sales, and how much from selling energy credits to other companies?
    A portion of Tesla’s profit comes from selling regulatory credits to automakers that need them to meet emission standards. Tesla reported $279 million in sales of such credits in the third quarter, compared with $397 million in the third quarter of 2020.
  • dino001dino001 Member Posts: 6,163
    edited October 2021

I just got a flyer from the local Mitsubishi store advertising a lease on an Eclipse Cross for $209/mo. Sounded good but then I noticed a list of conditions in such fine print I needed a magnifying glass to read them.

Among the conditions were a $3500 down payment, additional charges for features shown and a bunch of other stuff that would leave $209/mo. in the rear view mirror.

Does this kind of hocum really work? Do people see a low monthly and run right out before reading the fine print? And what happens when they get there and their $209 suddenly balloons to $400? What kind of sales skill does it take to convert an outraged customer into a sale?

It must "work", otherwise they wouldn't do it. Bunch of people "trained" by Steve Richards and Andy Elliot how to skin the customer alive and call it "great service". Car retail business is bunch of one-time transactions, so it doesn't matter how angry you get, as long as you pay at the end and these guys learn to use it. I learned to ignore these ads completely, they're not worth the paper they're printed on or electricity running the servers. I used to analyze them like you just did, to have a few good laughs, don't do that anymore. Too predictable.

2018 430i Gran Coupe

edited October 2021
    dino001 said:

Car retail business is bunch of one-time transactions, so it doesn't matter how angry you get, as long as you pay at the end and these guys learn to use it.

IMHO, that's the thinking of a terrible salesperson. @isellhondas used to talk about how all of his sales in his latter years were repeat customers and referrals. I keep getting "thank you" messages from the Chevy dealer in Michigan because they have sold several NJ deals referred by me. Can those who focus only on the deal in front of them make a living selling? Maybe. Do many salespeople fall into this category? Absolutely! But I don't think they will be nearly as successful as those who focus on how the relationship can lead to more sales.

Let's say if, out of the 5 sales I got that Chevy dealer, 3 got them another 2 each. Now we're at 11. And so on, and so on.

• sdasda Member Posts: 6,936
    I used to have a good relationship with a salesman where I purchased 5 VWs and provided several referrals that bought as well. He knew my interests and would contact me when something new or interesting would come in. I appreciated that he never pressured me yet didn’t play games. He retired. The last two purchases, the Q5 and Passat were done at separate VW dealerships. The salesperson at both provided a positive experience where I would have been happy to refer business or even do future business with them. Yet neither are employed at the respective dealers any longer.

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

@qbrozen said:
    IMHO, that's the thinking of a terrible salesperson. @isellhondas used to talk about how all of his sales in his latter years were repeat customers and referrals. I keep getting "thank you" messages from the Chevy dealer in Michigan because they have sold several NJ deals referred by me. Can those who focus only on the deal in front of them make a living selling? Maybe. Do many salespeople fall into this category? Absolutely! But I don't think they will be nearly as successful as those who focus on how the relationship can lead to more sales.

Let's say if, out of the 5 sales I got that Chevy dealer, 3 got them another 2 each. Now we're at 11. And so on, and so on.

My NCM referred to me as the “anti-salesman” because of my low key approach. Several people who were also shopping other brands made a point of telling me that they decided to buy from our dealership because I wasn’t pushing to close the deal and I didn’t badmouth the other brands.

It has nothing to do with what the salesperson wants, and everything to do with dealership management. Their salespeople sell the way they want them to, or they're gone.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,729
    kyfdx said:

It has nothing to do with what the salesperson wants, and everything to do with dealership management. Their salespeople sell the way they want them to, or they're gone.

I'm not sure about that, as I'd be pretty certain if they are selling they don't give a damn how they are doing it as long as they are successfully doing it.

So is there a known magic bottom line rock bottom deal, or is it really case by case basis?
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
  • laurasdadalaurasdada Member Posts: 4,686
    My auto insurance renews 11/1, my agent noted if I wanted to switch to Commerce, annual premium is $300 lower for same coverage. Cool, let's do it.

And, they give a 5% discount for donating $25+ to the Pan Mass Challenge (Dana Farber Cancer), which I more than do annually as a college bud is a dedicate rider on the cause. AAA discount, too.

How will I waste that $300?

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

edited October 2021
    qbrozen said:

dino001 said:

Car retail business is bunch of one-time transactions, so it doesn't matter how angry you get, as long as you pay at the end and these guys learn to use it.

I agree with you, as you say this may be bad for a salesperson, but apparently store can stay in business with that mindset for long time. All they need to do is churn both customers and employees. And they do. They can always blame previous management and salesforce and keep doing it. Ultimately it's the owners who chose this model, because "it works".

2018 430i Gran Coupe

kyfdx said:

Yep - and they hire guys like Richards to "train" their salespeople to act they way they do. The owners, the managers can't even imagine they could operate in a different way. If you press them they'll tell you treating customer like a mindless idiot is what customers want. Unfortunately too often they're proven right :disappointed:

2018 430i Gran Coupe