Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Edmunds Members - Cars and Conversations

Comments

• 28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,385
    edited October 2021
    ronsteve said:

Slightly off topic, but that’s what this forum is for, right? I know there’s a bit of a NJ contingent in here but I was wondering if any of you were close to the Philly suburbs. I’m being tempted to apply for a job in that area and was curious about the good, bad, and ugly of those communities, especially in Burlington County.

Any knowledge you can share is appreciated, whether on here or in PMs.

Paging @stickguy and @tjc78 to the courtesy telephone.

I'm originally from the Philly burbs but on the PA side, so not much use.
    2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible, 2015 Audi Q5 TDI
  • snakeweaselsnakeweasel Member Posts: 19,324
    abacomike said:

Just filled up with PUG at my local Costco - $3.59.9 a gallon! That’s an increase of 40 cents a gallon in the last 5 weeks. I paid $3.35.9 two weeks ago which was my last fill-up.

The average price for PUG at the other gas stations in the area is $3.89.9. Estimates are that PUG will be close to $5.00 a gallon by Christmas unless something happens to curtail the cost of crude.

RUG is around $3.60 around here, PUG is around $4.30.

2011 Hyundai Sonata, 2014 BMW 428i convertible, 2015 Honda CTX700D

ab348 said:

ab348 said:

I've just been letting you guys argue about nails and shingles. Doesn't take much to get some opinions heated up, but you missed the actual reason they do it. According to CertainTeed, if a certified installer uses 6 nails per shingle installed as per their protocols, the job becomes eligible for an upgraded warranty, I believe against wind damage but maybe something else as well. So the company I picked does that as a matter of course.

So basically it's a marketing thing.
    You misspelled "warranty".
    You may be bad at spelling but I spelled "marketing" correctly.

• tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,905

@28firefighter said:
    Paging @stickguy and @tjc78 to the courtesy telephone.

I'm originally from the Philly burbs but on the PA side, so not much use.

I sent him a PM. I’ve lived here all my life and for all this area’s faults don’t think I’d be much happier anywhere else

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,510
    edited October 2021
    I live just outside philly, but in Camden county. Tom is about 20 minutes south of me in Gloucester county. I did used to live in Burlington county. Quite familiar with traffic areas to avoid. And I also spend a lot of time looking at real estate listings.

So happy to help. There are a lot of nice towns around and good schools. Just depends on what you need and where you want to get to. And of course, budget!

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,933
    edited October 2021
    Michaell said:

Guys, he said Bronco Sport

hahaha. D'oh!!!

It is bad enough they did this whole name mashup, but did they really have to do it with the trims? UGH!

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,644
    stickguy said:

@oldfarmer50,
    Mine is .4 but we are looking at about .3. Under 1/2 an acre.
    This one looked promising, but the realtor refuses to show any houses by this builder.
    This is not a new house.
    https://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/36224-Atlantic-Ave_North-Ridgeville_OH_44039_M47462-89589

Forgive me for being dense but why would a realtor refuse to show you a house? I’ve never bought anything other than vacant land so I’m a bit clueless.
    Some builders are not very good, and their houses tend to have problems. I assume the realtor just has experience with their builds being junk.
    OIC

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

More proof of why we can't have good things out on the patio.

Invest in a pellet gun.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 240,982
    @ronsteve - I had family in Burlington Co for years and years and years, back in the day. As a frequent visitor to the area at the time (both for work and to visit relatives), I found it to be a nice place. Can't speak for what it's like now, but you've got Edmunds poster buddies in the area who can more than help you.

My godparents lived in Moorestown, and I just loved it there. Quiet community, at the time.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

edited October 2021
    ronsteve said:

Slightly off topic, but that’s what this forum is for, right? I know there’s a bit of a NJ contingent in here but I was wondering if any of you were close to the Philly suburbs. I’m being tempted to apply for a job in that area and was curious about the good, bad, and ugly of those communities, especially in Burlington County.

Stay off the Philly transit system. If you get into trouble no one will help.

@Michaell said:
    @ronsteve - I had family in Burlington Co for years and years and years, back in the day. As a frequent visitor to the area at the time (both for work and to visit relatives), I found it to be a nice place. Can't speak for what it's like now, but you've got Edmunds poster buddies in the area who can more than help you.

My godparents lived in Moorestown, and I just loved it there. Quiet community, at the time.

Moorestown is still beautiful. Many of the Philly sports athletes live there.

• driver100driver100 Member Posts: 31,975

More proof of why we can't have good things out on the patio.

Invest in a pellet gun.
    ....and buy a good "Back to Nature Cookbook", those squirrels can be used to make some tasty dishes.

2017 MB E400 , 2015 MB GLK350, 2014 MB C250

ronsteve said:

Burlington is huge. I live very close to the norther tip of it. The county itself ranges from total isolation to areas more like a quaint city. Plenty of nice areas. If you stay near Cherry Hill, you'd have a pretty quick train ride. Depends where in Philly you have to go.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

edited October 2021
    ab348 said:

ab348 said:

I've just been letting you guys argue about nails and shingles. Doesn't take much to get some opinions heated up, but you missed the actual reason they do it. According to CertainTeed, if a certified installer uses 6 nails per shingle installed as per their protocols, the job becomes eligible for an upgraded warranty, I believe against wind damage but maybe something else as well. So the company I picked does that as a matter of course.

From everything I have read on the subject.....4 nails should be sufficient in most cases, unless you have a large slope or great winds. But, I doubt if 6 nails will hurt....might cause more work when the shingles have to come off one day.
    For example: Manufacturers recommend 4 nails per shingle for standard slopes from 4:12 to 9:12 and five nails per starter shingle. Anything less than four will void any warranties offered. For steep slopes and high wind areas, use 6 nails per shingle. Nails must be long enough to penetrate at least ¾” into the roofing sheathing.

6 nails could be a marketing ploy and it sounds like an excellent one. Who are most people going to choose, the guy who uses 4 nails or the guy who uses 6....especially if they don't know anything about shingles?

• imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,147
    @mjfloyd1
    Thank you for the suggestion of using the Frio brand pouches to keep insulin relatively cool when traveling. The pouch worked perfectly on our Gatlinburg trip. Didn't have to worry about leaving it in the car if sun was shining in on the pouch or not. The bag stays at a cool room temperature.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,303
    edited October 2021
    The house looks good on the website. Doesn't have everything I want, but I'm willing to compromise.
    Edit: Good thing you guys had me go back and look at it. The community pool is right next to it.
    Scratch that one. :p
    https://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/36224-Atlantic-Ave_North-Ridgeville_OH_44039_M47462-89589
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
    Isn’t that the bad builder one?

• andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,729
    https://www.yahoo.com/news/son-l-millionaire-sentenced-7-231244463.html

If your rich, you can kill with a slap on the wrist. I just watched a video of another very young [non-permissible content removed] that killed a mother and her baby by vehicle manslaughter and they got 24 years or so and most felt that was a very light sentence given they were "racing" so it was willful negligence.

I'm on the side of locking them up and throwing away the key, because not only is it a deterrent for others to do the same, it the ONLY way to insure they won't be on the streets attempting to kill me, my daughter, or others for a long time.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
  • ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,080

ab348 said:

ab348 said:

Perhaps so. You just are misusing the term.

Marketing is a simple concept to grasp, and most people know what it is, but it is not something that provides any additional value to the consumer in most cases. Additional warranty years or better warranty coverage for certain potential failures most certainly does.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• mjfloyd1mjfloyd1 Member Posts: 3,271
    edited October 2021

@imidazol97 said:
    @mjfloyd1
    Thank you for the suggestion of using the Frio brand pouches to keep insulin relatively cool when traveling. The pouch worked perfectly on our Gatlinburg trip. Didn't have to worry about leaving it in the car if sun was shining in on the pouch or not. The bag stays at a cool room temperature.

Thank my endocrinologist, not me :) . I’m just a sponge for his knowledge

• ventureventure Member Posts: 2,872
    qbrozen said:

venture said:

I was just looking at a friends Bronco Sport Big Bend. Not a bad vehicle.

He said he got it for $1,500 under MSRP. He ordered it 3 months ago.

Now there is something I'd dump immediately for a big payday
    I think I would too, but is the Sport that desirable? He got it for his son who is just getting his license.

2020 Ascent Limited, 2024 Subaru Legacy Sport

• bwiabwia Member Posts: 2,913
    These EVs aren't for sale yet but are in various stages from concept to production—and perhaps a few may never see the light of day.

Every Electric Vehicle That's Expected in the Next Five Years
    https://www.caranddriver.com/news/g29994375/future-electric-cars-trucks/?source=nl&utm_source=nl_aut&utm_medium=email&date=102221&utm_campaign=nl25432174&utm_term=AUT_Autoweek_StateOfCharge_DailyDrive_Newsletter_Sending
  • benjaminhbenjaminh Member Posts: 6,311
    I like that Canoo van for some reason....

"Like Canoo's pickup, this seven-seat EV is built on a skateboard platform, similar to what BMW, Mercedes-Benz, and Volkswagen use to easily swap bodystyles on similar underpinnings. Canoo is testing a subscription service that would allow consumers to use and pay for the EV only when it's needed. Canoo claims this little bus will have a range of 250 miles and 300 horsepower. Details on subscription cost or initial cost haven't been revealed yet, but expect more information as we get closer to 2022."
    2018 Acura TLX 2.4 Tech 4WS (mine), 2018 Honda CR-V EX AWD (wife's)
    bwia said:

These EVs aren't for sale yet but are in various stages from concept to production—and perhaps a few may never see the light of day.

I like big windows and flat sides but that doesn't do a thing for me.

ab348 said:

ab348 said:

ab348 said:

Perhaps so. You just are misusing the term.

Marketing is a simple concept to grasp, and most people know what it is, but it is not something that provides any additional value to the consumer in most cases. Additional warranty years or better warranty coverage for certain potential failures most certainly does.
    Ab, it may offer you extra value to have 6 nails instead of 4...if it gives you a better warranty....but, do you really need the extra warranty? If not, it is a marketing ploy, it seems to be advantageous but is it? You have to be paying extra somewhere down the line for it....time and material costs. For the roofing company, it could be a way to offer you something that sounds better to you, but what it really does is it ensures they get to do the roof....for very little added cost. The extra warranty is kind of like buying $2 million worth of liability insurance, when all you really might need is $1 million. Or buying the extended warranty on a set of headphones at Best Buy...how often do headphones breakdown?

• explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,303
    edited October 2021
    @stickguy,
    Yes that is a bad builder house, but it looks good in the pictures!
    Pool next to it knocked it off the list anyway.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert

I like that Canoo Pickup. Reminds me of a Unimog

driver100 said:

Ab, it may offer you extra value to have 6 nails instead of 4...if it gives you a better warranty....but, do you really need the extra warranty?

Who knows? Does anyone need any warranty? How often do things break, right? So they must all be marketing ploys, I guess.

If It’s of value to me, then that’s all that matters.

that white one looks like a LR defender that got run through a planer.

• fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,138
    Hmm that truck thing with the roof rack featuring built-in LED lightbars - the look-at-me outdoorspeople around here would lose their minds.
    bwia said:

3rd generation all new Tundra Truck. Gets good reviews, lots of improvements;

ab348 said:

driver100 said:

Ab, it may offer you extra value to have 6 nails instead of 4...if it gives you a better warranty....but, do you really need the extra warranty?

Who knows? Does anyone need any warranty? How often do things break, right? So they must all be marketing ploys, I guess.

If It’s of value to me, then that’s all that matters.
    I'm not saying the extra warranty doesn't have value...I am saying they could have used that feature to make it sound like 6 nails was an advantage......6 nails probably won't hurt, but it might be a way they get you to use their company.

From what our hand nail roofer told us, it is very difficult to collect on roofing warranties. They have a battery of lawyers that fight any action consumers take. That is why 20 year roofs last 15 years, and 30 year roofs last 20 years..........

I am sure you did your research and this roofer got good reviews and few complaints....that is probably the real test.

• ronsteveronsteve Member Posts: 1,194
    Thanks to @tjc78, @stickguy, and @qbrozen for the feedback on south Jersey! It's really helpful in the reality check/decision whether to apply. No, the decision has not yet been made, but I'll let you know as appropriate if I'm about to switch between one of the bigger concentrations of Edmunds posters and the other.
    2015 Acura RDX AWD / 2021 VW TIguan SE 4Motion
    driver100 said:

Actually the reviews I have seen have been surprisingly "meh" for a newly introduced Toyota.

driver100 said:

Is that red camo on those seats or is it just a trick of lighting?

That is indeed perforated leather camo as far as I can tell

There are so many design fails on that truck. Doesn’t matter, they will sell like crazy.

• dad23dad23 Member Posts: 870
    qbrozen said:

That is indeed perforated leather camo as far as I can tell

I couldn't see the seats :)
  • abacomikeabacomike Member Posts: 12,258

@driver100:

When are you planning to go down to Florida, driver? Are they easing Covid restrictions and/or limitations for Canadians entering the US? Just interested in your winter plans this year.

2021 Genesis G90

abacomike said:

@driver100:

When are you planning to go down to Florida, driver? Are they easing Covid restrictions and/or limitations for Canadians entering the US? Just interested in your winter plans this year.

Mike, we are flying to Tampa 2 weeks from tomorrow....Sunday Nov 7th. On the following day, Nov 8th people can drive across the border, they will need to show proof of 2 vaccine doses. To fly you need to show proof of 2 vaccines, plus show proof of testing negative taken within 72 hours.

About 900000 Canadians go to Florida each winter....last year only about a third went. I am ready to go, I don't want to spend any time in the cold or snow up here if I can avoid it. I am curious to see how the C250 is doing too, I hope it starts and the oil hasn't turned to tar.

Thanks for asking!

• sdasda Member Posts: 6,975
    edited October 2021
    @driver100 Glad you’re able to enjoy your home in FL again. As your MB hasn’t been active for an extended period, I would avoid starting your MB. Have it transported to your MB mechanic to do what’s needed to wake up the car to prevent any unintended consequences and ensure its ongoing reliability. Perhaps you can do this ahead of your return so you have it ready to drive upon your arrival.

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

It may get crowded down in FL this year. I saw many campers and motorhomes heading south on out drive down I75 Monday and Wednesday. Luckily they were mostly self-behaved on the lane discipline. The folks traveling were mostly in the right hand lane and traveling at or below the speed limit. That is unlike some other years when we traveled that route.

Of course, you'll be above it all and will miss the miles of road construction in Cincinnati (it never ends) and the backups at the national bridge in Cincinnati.

Hope you find your car in good health and easily rehabilitated. I'll be interested in what you find and how you resolve any concerns and questions about how to get it back on the road again.

driver100 said:

abacomike said:

@driver100:

Mike, we are flying to Tampa 2 weeks from tomorrow....Sunday Nov 7th. On the following day, Nov 8th people can drive across the border, they will need to show proof of 2 vaccine doses. To fly you need to show proof of 2 vaccines, plus show proof of testing negative taken within 72 hours.

About 900000 Canadians go to Florida each winter....last year only about a third went. I am ready to go, I don't want to spend any time in the cold or snow up here if I can avoid it. I am curious to see how the C250 is doing too, I hope it starts and the oil hasn't turned to tar.

Thanks for asking!

I think the first thing I’d do is drain the old fuel out of that tank. I don’t see the old oil being a problem as long as you change it as soon as possible but if that gas has gone bad it could goop up your injectors and cost you some money.

If a good dose of Stabil or equivalent was added to the tank of gasoline, it should not have deteriorated to the point of causing clogging from material precipitating out of the fuel. I think I'd ask at the MB store where it has been serviced while there for their advice on how to do it.

My guess would be to add more stabil to the fuel. Allow to sit for a couple hours to migrate through the fuel system. Then try to start it. It would be nice if there were a way to command the engine to crank without starting in order to prime the oil through the channels first. It would be nice if there were a way to run the fuel pump to circulate fuel through the system completely before starting. But that would require a computer hookup that can operate the computers on the car.

Gasoline that has developed a deposit that blocks the fuel metering on a lawn mower will redissolve that deposited material with some fresh fuel added to the mix and then being allowed to sit after refilling the fuel bowl. So I'd guess the fuel in @driver100's tank could be souped up as well.

• roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,347
    tjc78 said:

There are so many design fails on that truck. Doesn’t matter, they will sell like crazy.

Exactly; the details hark back to the weirdness most Japanese cars exhibited in the '70s and '80s- the notable exceptions being the Datsun Z, RX-7, and the later Celica/Supra.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

Thanks for the comments about the hibernating C250. The car has a trickle charger on it, and it has STABIL.....more than what is required. It says STABIL is good for a year, and it has been about 18 months, but it should work. The oil has about 6000 miles on it. The tires which were one year old had 2 extra pounds in them. I put steel wool in the tailpipe, someone said it will keep mice out! I plan to start her up, and I will make an appointment to take it in about 3 days later for an oil change, possibly new battery, and there are a few recalls that have to be checked....Takata Airbags for one.
    Wish me luck, I'll let you know how it goes.

@imidazol97 said:
    If a good dose of Stabil or equivalent was added to the tank of gasoline, it should not have deteriorated to the point of causing clogging from material precipitating out of the fuel. I think I'd ask at the MB store where it has been serviced while there for their advice on how to do it.

My guess would be to add more stabil to the fuel. Allow to sit for a couple hours to migrate through the fuel system. Then try to start it. It would be nice if there were a way to command the engine to crank without starting in order to prime the oil through the channels first. It would be nice if there were a way to run the fuel pump to circulate fuel through the system completely before starting. But that would require a computer hookup that can operate the computers on the car.

Gasoline that has developed a deposit that blocks the fuel metering on a lawn mower will redissolve that deposited material with some fresh fuel added to the mix and then being allowed to sit after refilling the fuel bowl. So I'd guess the fuel in @driver100's tank could be souped up as well.

If it's been more than a year the gas will start to go bad with Stabil or any like product. So if Driver didn't go down last year I would empty the tank and refill it.

• jmonroe1jmonroe1 Member Posts: 7,541

@imidazol97 said:

If it's been more than a year the gas will start to go bad with Stabil or any like product. So if Driver didn't go down last year I would empty the tank and refill it.

If you can believe the manufacturer of Stabil (Gold Eagle) an unopened bottle of Stabil is good for 5 years. After that it’s good for 2 years. So, I’d say taking long vacations in Canada is not a problem.

jmonroe
    '15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
    How can you drain the gas tank?

• jmonroe1jmonroe1 Member Posts: 7,541

How can you drain the gas tank?

The quick way is with an awl. After that it takes a lonnnng time. MUCH easier said than done but it sounds good..

jmonroe
    '15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)