Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Edmunds Members - Cars and Conversations

Comments

• tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,907

@imidazol97 said:
    How can you drain the gas tank?

You can siphon it, but If it were me I’d start that bad boy and then putz around on local streets for awhile and then off to 95 and …, well you know.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,147
    jmonroe1 said:

The quick way is with an awl. After that it takes a lonnnng time. MUCH easier said than done but it sounds good..

jmonroe
    Would someone use the awl to make 4 holes or 6 holes to drain that gas? LOL

On GM cars there's a block inside the metal filler that prevents siphoning gasoline out with a tube.
    The filler tube has a rubber sleeve that connects it to the main tank's short stub filler tube. That can be removed if someone raises car, crawls under, and is able to remove it and displace it so a siphon tube can be inserted into the gas tank.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• jmonroe1jmonroe1 Member Posts: 7,544

jmonroe1 said:

The quick way is with an awl. After that it takes a lonnnng time. MUCH easier said than done but it sounds good..

jmonroe

On GM cars there's a block inside the metal filler that prevents siphoning gasoline out with a tube.
    The filler tube has a rubber sleeve that connects it to the main tank's short stub filler tube. That can be removed if someone raises car, crawls under, and is able to remove it and displace it so a siphon tube can be inserted into the gas tank.
    Like I said use an awl if you want to do it quickly. A dozen pokes can get it done faster but that’s up to the poker.

jmonroe
    '15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,518
    was the tank left full or low? I would probably see if it starts right up, and drive gently to warm it all up then give it a little Italian tune up. Can put a bottle of fuel clean in first. then fill up with fresh and burn it through. Shouldn't take long on that car.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

jmonroe1 said:

jmonroe1 said:

jmonroe

Like I said use an awl if you want to do it quickly. A dozen pokes can get it done faster but that’s up to the poker.

jmonroe
    But that means @driver100 would have to chew up 12 pieces of bubble gum to plug the holes. That's a lot of chewing.

jmonroe1 said:

jmonroe1 said:

jmonroe

jmonroe
    But that means @driver100 would have to chew up 12 pieces of bubble gum to plug the holes. That's a lot of chewing.
    He has a big mouth, he can handle it. B)

jmonroe
    '15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
  • dad23dad23 Member Posts: 870
    We're watching the Mecum auction on TV, had a question I figured you guys would know. They never disclose the reserve but at times will say the reserve is off. Does that just mean they've hit it or decided to remove it for whatever reason? Does it somehow promote more bidding? And when they say the bid goes on, does that mean the reserve wasn't met?
  • ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,085
    I'm not sure what your last question is referring to, but reserves are often lifted by the seller before being met. Sometimes when the bidding gets close to the reserve number the seller either doesn't want to haul the vehicle back home and lifts it. It also seems to be the belief that once a reserve is lifted it will stimulate sluggish bidding, though I don't know why.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• dad23dad23 Member Posts: 870
    A few of the cars have gone though and they never hit the gavel and yell sold! It sits at the end of the line and then they'll say the bid goes on and they move it off the line. I figured that means it wasn't sold, didn't meet the reserve.
  • MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,042
    dad23 said:

A few of the cars have gone though and they never hit the gavel and yell sold! It sits at the end of the line and then they'll say the bid goes on and they move it off the line. I figured that means it wasn't sold, didn't meet the reserve.

That's how I understand it, too.

Regarding the MB that @driver100 has in FL, didn't JRGo just use up the last of the gas in his R8 by driving around town at reasonable speeds? I know it hasn't been 18 months or so for that.

Why not reach out to the Stabil folks directly (they've got to have some way to contact them?) and get their opinion on the situation. I'd hate to see the engine ruined by getting bad advice.

Then again, it will give him an excuse to buy a car with a backup camera...

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• driver100driver100 Member Posts: 31,976
    stickguy said:

was the tank left full or low? I would probably see if it starts right up, and drive gently to warm it all up then give it a little Italian tune up. Can put a bottle of fuel clean in first. then fill up with fresh and burn it through. Shouldn't take long on that car.

The tank is 99% full.........less room for condensation etc. I fill it with about 125% of the recommended amount of STABIL. Acording to JMonroe STABIL will last up to 2 years in the tank, I thought 1 year, but it has been almost 20 months.
    If the gas does go bad I would have it toed to a nearby garage, they should be able to remove the gas that is still in there. Might have to use a good gas conditioner to clean out the lines and add some new gas. No use removing all the gas without knowing whether it is good or not.
    The nearest MB dealer is about 40 miles away.........not going to tow it there, when most garages should be able to siphon out the gas that is in there.
    This is probably a case where I could worry about the gas not working...and things you worry about don't happen 95% of the time.

2017 MB E400 , 2015 MB GLK350, 2014 MB C250

edited October 2021
    jmonroe1 said:

jmonroe1 said:

jmonroe1 said:

jmonroe

jmonroe

jmonroe
    I am actually very quiet and shy :p

Michaell said:

dad23 said:

Regarding the MB that @driver100 has in FL, didn't JRGo just use up the last of the gas in his R8 by driving around town at reasonable speeds? I know it hasn't been 18 months or so for that.

Why not reach out to the Stabil folks directly (they've got to have some way to contact them?) and get their opinion on the situation. I'd hate to see the engine ruined by getting bad advice.

Nothing like hearing it from the horses mouth. You can’t always rely on what you read on the internet.

If he ruins his engine @andres3 won’t want that car either.

jmonroe
  • snakeweaselsnakeweasel Member Posts: 19,324

@imidazol97 said:

Faster to just tear off 12 pieces of the handy man's secret weapon, duct tape.

2011 Hyundai Sonata, 2014 BMW 428i convertible, 2015 Honda CTX700D

driver100 said:

If the gas does go bad I would have it towed to a nearby garage, they should be able to remove the gas that is still in there. Might have to use a good gas conditioner to clean out the lines and add some new gas. No use removing all the gas without knowing whether it is good or not.
    This is probably a case where I could worry about the gas not working...and things you worry about don't happen 95% of the time.

If it runs when you start it, I'd just keep adding a gallon or two or fresh gas from a plastic gas can or drive it to the nearest station. Just keep adding fresh gas to the mix to ameliorate the poor additives and stale gas left in the tank.

dad23 said:

We're watching the Mecum auction on TV, had a question I figured you guys would know. They never disclose the reserve but at times will say the reserve is off. Does that just mean they've hit it or decided to remove it for whatever reason? Does it somehow promote more bidding? And when they say the bid goes on, does that mean the reserve wasn't met?

Most auctions will not reveal what the reserve is, just that there is a reserve. Most will notify the audience once the reserve is met, this is believed to stimulate bidding as buyers know then that the item will be sold. The reserve being off may just be stating that the reserve is met.

driver100 said:

jmonroe1 said:

jmonroe1 said:

jmonroe1 said:

jmonroe

jmonroe

jmonroe
    I am actually very quiet and shy :p
    And if you spoke at all you just said "Hi" to Big Driver.

• explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,308
    There are ton of these video's of this 'Ford'. I watched few and found them entertaining.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WRTqqodAoDY
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,646
    dad23 said:

From my understanding, when a car doesn’t meet reserve the seller will then entertain additional bids for a period of time. He/she then has the option to accept, reject or make a counter offer.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

I would imagine you could disconnect the fuel line and turn the key to the on position. The fuel pump will run and pump everything out. I know this for a fact when one of my kid’s friends left his car in the way and unknown to me had disconnected the line. When I went to move it gas sprayed everywhere.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

There are ton of these video's of this 'Ford'. I watched few and found them entertaining.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WRTqqodAoDY

I suppose it all depends on the location of the air intake.

I guess running through when it fills with water is a 'thing'. In one of the videos there were about 50 people egging on the drivers.
  • abacomikeabacomike Member Posts: 12,258

@driver100 said:
    Thanks for the comments about the hibernating C250. The car has a trickle charger on it, and it has STABIL.....more than what is required. It says STABIL is good for a year, and it has been about 18 months, but it should work. The oil has about 6000 miles on it. The tires which were one year old had 2 extra pounds in them. I put steel wool in the tailpipe, someone said it will keep mice out! I plan to start her up, and I will make an appointment to take it in about 3 days later for an oil change, possibly new battery, and there are a few recalls that have to be checked....Takata Airbags for one.
    Wish me luck, I'll let you know how it goes.

If the oil was changed 6000 miles ago and the C250 has been sitting for 18 months, I would strongly recommend having the car towed to the Mercedes service department and have them change the oil before starting it. This way, the mechanic(s) can monitor the process of starting the engine.

Oil that has been sitting in the engine for that long a period of time can be sludgy - not to mention that the oil will not properly lubricate the parts needing lubrication internally. Just my opinion.🤪😜🤓

2021 Genesis G90

• roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,349
    edited October 2021
    Depending on the year, some X3 models have a fording depth up to 20 inches. It's done all the time at the BMW Performance Centers.

In contrast, my TJ OM states that the fording depth is up to the bottom of the headlights- any higher than that and you need to invest in a snorkel and you also need to extend the drivetrain vent hoses.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

Michaell said:

dad23 said:

I checked online and JMonroe is actually right about this....STABIL says: STA-BIL Storage fuel stabilizer keeps fuel fresh for extended periods – up to 24 months.
    Lots of people store their cars for several months to a year or two and they operate fine...that is why they make STABIL and trickle chargers.
    My neighbors son is a mechanic of sorts, and I have a friend in the complex who is very knowledgeable about cars....they may not be there when I crank her over but if something goes wrong they will probably have some ideas.
    I don't mind, I am going to live dangerously, and see what happens when I start it up.

edited October 2021
    driver100 said:

Michaell said:

dad23 said:

I checked online and JMonroe is actually right about this....STABIL says: STA-BIL Storage fuel stabilizer keeps fuel fresh for extended periods – up to 24 months.
    Lots of people store their cars for several months to a year or two and they operate fine...that is why they make STABIL and trickle chargers.
    My neighbors son is a mechanic of sorts, and I have a friend in the complex who is very knowledgeable about cars....they may not be there when I crank her over but if something goes wrong they will probably have some ideas.
    I don't mind, I am going to live dangerously, and see what happens when I start it up.
    My “guy” say that for longer storage than a winter, Marine Stabil is better. I’m sure your car will be fine, I’m just cautious because I don’t know what the effect of Florida heat and humidity would be.

driver100 said:

Michaell said:

dad23 said:

My “guy” say that for longer storage than a winter, Marine Stabil is better. I’m sure your car will be fine, I’m just cautious because I don’t know what the effect of Florida heat and humidity would be.
    I have thought about that too. The car is in a garage and the garage probably stays a bit cooler than outside. Millions of people leave their cars for a year or so....and when they start them up again they just start them. Things can go wrong, things can dry up, you could have build ups, the oil may have congealed, who knows, but I could have the gas removed, the car towed to the dealer, and then find the engine seized....so I am going to run it..........and take it in asap, probably 3 days later.

I assume the MB is going to put the recommended full synthetic high quality oil in your C250. So it shouldn't suffer any deterioration as conventional oil in the 70s and 80s might have suffered in an era of
    additives that were much different than now. My only concern would be that it would be nice were there some way to crank the engine over to run the oil pump to fill the passages to the various levels where oil is used in the engine before having it start at idle speed. But that likely will take care of itself.

As to draining the gasoline by turning the key on with an open line..., my GM products only run the fuel pump for about 1/2 second when the key is turned. The fuel lines in normal use should hold pressure with the engine off and the 1/2 second run is to prime the fuel pressure up to normal. Then as the engine cranks and starts turning, I believe 400 rpm is mentioned, the computer turns on the fuel pump to its normal ON operation. If someone has a TECH II or equivalent computer, the fuel pump probably can be commanded ON from the computer there to drain out fuel.

I suspect you're going to crank the engine. It will fire up after a longer than usual crank period. Who knows what protection MB has programmed into the computer for oil pressure and fuel pressure to take care of the starts after long rest periods. You'll let the car idle in the driveway for 30 minutes or so. Then drive it and stop and put in whatever amount of fresh fuel you can squeeze into the tank.

Then you'll keep repeating until you take her in for an oil change.

I suppose you could pull the fuel pump relay and crank the engine for 30 seconds or so if you are really worried.

edited October 2021
    That's a great idea. That would be my choice to allow the oil pump to refill passages to the bearings and lifters before the engine starts turning at idle startup speed.

Locating and removing the relay may not be a task for everyone. But the diagrams of the various fuse and relay boxes in the owner manual, should help.

• sdasda Member Posts: 6,977
    In addition to all above, visually inspect and check the tire pressure. Don’t drive on them if they appear flat or if the pressure is too low.

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

Have you ever seen a 59 VW with a coffee maker. Apparently, the coffee this makes was terrible...basically hot water over coffee beans. Expensive, about $136 in today's dollars. You have to give them credit for trying;

The cups had magnets built into the bottom to keep them in place.

@imidazol97 tjc, sda,
    Yes, the C250 has high quality synthetic MB oil in it. I agree it would be nice to know the oil gets to where it is supposed to go right away, but I am going to risk that it will, it only has 32000 miles on it so those things "should" work pretty well. Since you can start and drive cars these days I am hoping that will be the case even after a long rest.

MBs are a little eccentric in many ways, so I am with you about how it reacts when started after a long rest.

tjc, pulling the fuel pump relay could cause more harm than good if I try it. I'd rather not try anything and just start her up, and let the chips fall where they may.

sda, the tires had 2 extra pounds in them before we left, though I thought we'd be back in 7 months, not 19. Tires can lose a pound a month, though in my experience they lost about a pound over 7 months...but, those were the old Continentals. The new Michelins are much better tires so I am hoping they hold air better. It will be bumpy for the first 10 miles or so, but, I have to take it easy because who knows how the tires will ride, and more important.....that the brakes are working properly.

edited October 2021
    I pull the wiring connector to the coil or ignition box to crank the Mustang without starting it.
    There may be some smoke at first. Keep the garage door open.
    taking a WAG here, but the MB isn't going to have that kind of ignition system to pull wires from !

I pull the wiring connector to the coil or ignition box to crank the Mustang without stating it.

Thanks for the suggestion.........I think I will just try starting her up and keep my fingers crossed!

@driver100,
    That's a very bad idea, but it's your car.
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,936

@explorerx4 said:
    I pull the wiring connector to the coil or ignition box to crank the Mustang without stating it.

I missed something… why?

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

Turn the key to on but don’t go to start for maybe 15 seconds. That can prime the fuel pump.

I wonder if a bigger problem might be gaskets and seals that have broken down!

Not likely in the time it’s been sitting in a garage. Just let it sit and warm up for a few minutes to get the parts acclimated again. But not too long since it’s better to drive than idle

edited October 2021
    I think he should just trade it in for a new ER1 or whatever was the MB they were hanging from the sky in the ad I saw on college football ABC yesterday. It slowly came down to earth.

If he has an electric vehicle, he doesn't have to worry about gasoline and oil. The pollution is all at electric plants elsewhere, away from the local hood. When he returns after being home during the summer, he just plugs it in and hopes the battery hasn't failed in the interim?

edited October 2021
    I have a question about the GPS devices that are able to plan routes adjusting for heavy traffic. Where do they get that data? Is it from a cellphone in the car using the cellphone connection or is it through data on the cellphone? I use Tracfone on Verizon network and phones, and my data is purchased MB by MB since I don't use much of anything in internet access when I'm not on WiFi somewhere. I buy airtime by the year, texts by the 1000's, and data by the MB.

I'm thinking of buying a replacement GPS but doubt I'd be able to use the real time features without using my cellphone as a connection...
    My TomTom device has lifetime maps which TomTop keeps trying to tell me in messages, like a corrupt politician, that they no longer sell. However, what they don't mention is that they are required to update them per the agreement. They trying to get me to buy a new device from them.

Now TomTom sent something trying to get me to pay them to use maps on my Android phone from them. I already have maps on my Android. I want an easier-to-use map picture. I only use my cellphone maps if I'm lost.

@qbrozen,
    Why what?
  • roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,349

I have a question about the GPS devices that are able to plan routes adjusting for heavy traffic. Where do they get that data? Is it from a cellphone in the car using the cellphone connection or is it through data on the cellphone? I use Tracfone on Verizon network and phones, and my data is purchased MB by MB since I don't use much of anything in internet access when I'm not on WiFi somewhere. I buy airtime by the year, texts by the 1000's, and data by the MB.

I'm thinking of buying a replacement GPS but doubt I'd be able to use the real time features without using my cellphone as a connection...
    My TomTom device has lifetime maps which TomTop keeps trying to tell me in messages, like a corrupt politician, that they no longer sell. However, what they don't mention is that they are required to update them per the agreement. They trying to get me to buy a new device from them.

Now TomTom sent something trying to get me to pay them to use maps on my Android phone from them. I already have maps on my Android. I want an easier-to-use map picture. I only use my cellphone maps if I'm lost.

As I understand it, there are one or more data aggregators that collect information from various sources, including cars equipped with telematics. I know BMW gives them everything traveling over the primary bus, so the aggregators know if ABS and or stability/traction control is activated. Helpful in inclement weather.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

@imidazol97 said:

Many of the built in NAV systems use XM Nav Traffic. Waze and Google maps on smartphones use real time data from other users.

I understood it to be basically tracking your phone, since they know where it is. Just find all the phones that show to be on that road, and figure out how fast they are moving.

• qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,936

@explorerx4 said:
    @qbrozen,
    Why what?

Why would you disconnect the coil and crank the engine?

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

@qbrozen said:

@explorerx4 said:
    @qbrozen,
    Why what?

Why would you disconnect the coil and crank the engine?

To build oil pressure after it has been sitting awhile before an actual start.

it builds pretty quickly. Most likely after sitting that long it will take enough extra cranking that the oil will be up anyway before it fires. Though pistons going up and down either way.

It's just a hooptie C250 anyway. Not like bringing back a Ferrari from a 20 year hibernation. Just let the fuel pump prime for a few seconds, and fire it up.

just check the tires before driving. And of course, take the steel wool out of the tailpipe before starting it!