Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,891

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,097
    I wonder what the name will be for an oughts-teens car show. "Rad" is for the 80s-90s.
    tifighter said:

Speaking of automotive eye candy-

You're welcome.

Someday, this will rule Radwood.

• corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,237
    qbrozen said:
    If it weren't RHD, I might be interested--it seems to be in good condition, and a first-gen LS is on my hooptie bucket list. The cloth seats don't bother me. Factory nav in a 1997 anything has to be extremely rare.
  • fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,097
    Even a 240D manual gets dusted by the fintail, if that pictured clean car is an automatic, 0-60 is probably in the 25 second range.
    Michaell said:

au1994 said:

corvette said:

au1994 said:

Very nice. The pristine old Benz just says I’ve got money but no, I don’t need to show you.

I had to walk around to check the badge, and it's a 240D. Can't imagine driving that out on the highway, but on the 25-35 MPH roads in and around Charleston, I'm sure it would do fine.
    Oh man…acceleration is a suggestion in that tank. Highway merging would induce much pucker.
    My folks had a '72 220D, and I would agree with you about that. I took it to Los Angeles a few times with friends (about 60 miles, give or take), and any sort of slope would almost stop forward progress.
    corvette said:

qbrozen said:
    If it weren't RHD, I might be interested--it seems to be in good condition, and a first-gen LS is on my hooptie bucket list. The cloth seats don't bother me. Factory nav in a 1997 anything has to be extremely rare.
    What's wrong with RHD?

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• 28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,334

How hard is it to buy and import cars this way?

2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible
    qbrozen said:

What's wrong with RHD?

For something I'd only drive a few times a year, nothing wrong with it. For something I'd hope to drive semi-regularly, I think it would be a pretty big inconvenience.

@corvette said:
    For something I'd only drive a few times a year, nothing wrong with it. For something I'd hope to drive semi-regularly, I think it would be a pretty big inconvenience.

Actually, I never thought about things like drivethroughs. Pretty much impossible with something like that.

@28firefighter said:
    How hard is it to buy and import cars this way?

I haven’t done it, but they seem to indicate it really isn’t an issue. They take care of getting it here (for a price), and you just go title and register it.

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,439
    well, you can always go in the store instead of driving through. It is still possible.

other options, a passenger of course. Or you stretch (and on a Kei car, should not be hard!). and if you really are brave, just back through!

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

qbrozen said:

Actually, I never thought about things like drivethroughs. Pretty much impossible with something like that.

You can just drive through them in reverse! (Or so I've heard...)
  • 28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,334

This has me thinking. I legitimately don’t remember the last time I used a drive thru.

2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible
  • Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,953
    I did at the KFC a couple weeks back. Today is the first day in over a week that I'm going to drive & go back to work. Still a bit weak but the vertigo seems to be almost gone now so going to give it a try. Good thing is that if I really feel it's a bit too early to go back, can always leave around lunch and go back home. Hate doing that but my boss at Enterprise is a very nice guy and he's very much an advocate for his employees. He knows he has really good ones on his team and if any health issues arise, he makes sure we're able to take the time off to take care of them. Guess having a work force of mainly retirees over 70, he knows that at any given time, a few of us will be dealing with health issues which require time off from work. Luckily, times being what they are, we have enough workers to get the fleet to where it's needed. I know that once I leave Toyota, I'll let him know that I've got that time free if he needs an extra body from time to time. He knows I'll show up if asked for however long it's needed. Having a good boss makes it so much easier to be a good employee!

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

• oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,562
    tifighter said:

You're welcome.

Somebody with a lot of patience and a bunch of spare money should buy up all those they can. It’s so rare that eventually people will forget how ugly it is and it will become collectible.

I would put in in a garage along with an Aztek and a Dodge convertible pick up.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

qbrozen said:

@corvette said:

You could back through.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,256
    660 cc engine? Maybe a golf cart alternative. ;)
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • ventureventure Member Posts: 2,860

tifighter said:

You're welcome.

It's one of maybe 20 sold in North America?
    There's a guy who, evidently, lives near me and he has a white one of those things. I see him once in a while during the summer proudly driving along with the top down and a smile on his face. :o

2020 Ascent Limited, 2024 Subaru Legacy Sport

• nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,373

@qbrozen said:

@corvette said:

I never use the drive through. I always park in the lot & go inside.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

Well, for all of you who don’t mind the drivethrough problem, then RHD really isn’t an issue. :)

And, yes, I’d still happily own one myself.

• au1994au1994 Member Posts: 3,356
    nyccarguy said:

Some guy on one of these Prelude FB groups in Ohio has a 1992 Prelude Si 4WS with 23K miles I’m that drop dead gorgeous dark blue color. After some chiming in from posters, he wants to sell it to an enthusiast before he lists it for $15K.

I’d say Cars and Bids or BaT for that beauty. Gotta be better than some of the random stuff that pops up on BaT these days.

2021 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4xe Granite Crystal over Saddle
    2024 Audi Q5 Premium Plus Daytona Gray over Beige
    2017 BMW X1 Jet Black over Mocha

• nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,373
    @au1994

That was my 1st suggestion to the poster. Put it up on Cars & Bids.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• dad23dad23 Member Posts: 866
    edited November 2021
    qbrozen said:

Well, for all of you who don’t mind the drivethrough problem, then RHD really isn’t an issue. :)

And, yes, I’d still happily own one myself.

I'm not sure if it's still there or not, but Good Times had a location not too far from us that had a drive thru window on both sides of the building. The intercom was on the driver's side for both if I remember correctly but food delivery went to one side or the other.
    nyccarguy said:

As a TTAC writer recently described BaT: "...a website which attracts sensible people who pay reasonable prices for used cars."
  • au1994au1994 Member Posts: 3,356
    edited November 2021
    corvette said:

nyccarguy said:

As a TTAC writer recently described BaT: "...a website which attracts sensible people who pay reasonable prices for used cars."
    I get the low mileage example of a cool model or odd duck survivor popping up on there. Who doesn’t like to see a perfectly preserved 78 Mercury Bobcat in all of it’s 70’s glorious color scheme?

The Supra’s are fun to watch. Can’t say I understand that market at all but there’s a 97 Turbo w/58k miles and the OPENING bid was $60k. Now up to $130k.

But its the 80k mi 2005 F150’s that pop up that have me scratching my head. Sure its clean, sure its low miles but at the end of the day, its just a truck.

2021 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4xe Granite Crystal over Saddle
    2024 Audi Q5 Premium Plus Daytona Gray over Beige
    2017 BMW X1 Jet Black over Mocha

I think they just need volume to keep the $ flowing. So at some point, standards had to be relaxed.

• jmonroe1jmonroe1 Member Posts: 7,466
    venture said:

tifighter said:

You're welcome.

There's a guy who, evidently, lives near me and he has a white one of those things. I see him once in a while during the summer proudly driving along with the top down and a smile on his face. :o
    Proof that it doesn’t take much to make some folks happy.

jmonroe
    '15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
  • benjaminhbenjaminh Member Posts: 6,311
    https://www.nytimes.com/2021/11/02/business/car-shortage-global-economy.html

"The longer that shortages of parts and materials persist, the deeper the economic impact. Modern economies need vehicles to function. Trucks, essential to moving goods, are hard to come by these days, a constraint on growth.

“We are basically sold out in Western Europe and North America until next year,” Martin Daum, the head of Daimler’s trucks unit, said, citing the chip shortage.

There is no sign the crisis will end soon. Semiconductor makers have promised to increase supply, but building new factories takes years and car companies are not necessarily the most important customers behind the technology giants.

“Semiconductor manufacturers are going to give priority to the Apples and HPs of the world,” said Gad Allon, a professor at the Wharton School, “not a Ford.”
    2018 Acura TLX 2.4 Tech 4WS (mine), 2018 Honda CR-V EX AWD (wife's)
  • tifightertifighter Member Posts: 3,592
    venture said:

tifighter said:

You're welcome.

It's funny; the car doesn't offend me as much as it does to others. Honestly, my parents would probably have a blast in this car. Top down, their Golden with his tongue out in the back and it was easy to get in and out of the car.

23 Civic Type-R / 22 MDX Type-S / 21 Tesla Y LR / 03 Montero Ltd

• andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,729
    edited November 2021
    stickguy said:
    No sport diff! That's like getting the pretender instead of the contender. I'd say there must have been an 80-85% take rate for the rear sport diff, because it wasn't that much more money, and why get an S4 without it?

Unfortunately for me, finding a used motor is running into this kind of car as typical, 80-150K miles.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
  • xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,762
    andres3 said:

stickguy said:
    No sport diff! That's like getting the pretender instead of the contender. I'd say there must have been an 80-85% take rate for the rear sport diff, because it wasn't that much more money, and why get an S4 without it?

Unfortunately for me, finding a used motor is running into this kind of car as typical, 80-150K miles.
    Okay, but you only need the engine. :p
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
    Well, we know he has a spare low miles sport diff lying around!

xwesx said:

andres3 said:

stickguy said:

Okay, but you only need the engine. :p
    True, but it might be fun to have an extra "parts bin" for everything.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
    A spare seems like a good idea for an Audi owner!

• sdasda Member Posts: 6,936
    stickguy said:

Ouch

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

• jmonroe1jmonroe1 Member Posts: 7,466
    sda said:

stickguy said:

Ouch
    Everyone is fare game on this site. Why should you go untouched?

jmonroe

'15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
    stickguy said:

I knew someone would stoop that low. The bait was too tempting! :D
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
    edited November 2021
    Popped in to the local Discount Tire in Charleston yesterday morning because my TPMS light came back on. They quickly confirmed all four of the sensors are working properly (including the two they just replaced), did a hard reset of the system, and so far, no issues. Fingers crossed!

Much like the Tundra, the usable capacity of the gas tank in the Prius appears to be far lower than the factory spec (11.9 gallons on the Prius). If I wait until 1 out of 10 of the pips are remaining, I've been getting a hair over 8 gallons in. Today, I had 3/10 remaining, and got 6.4 gallons in. It's not recommended to top off the tank in these because they have an expandable fuel bladder which can be damaged (and which also apparently reduces the fuel capacity as outside temperatures get lower).
    xwesx said:

stickguy said:

I've had worse, far worse......

Engine failure at just shy of 44K miles is still around the same mileage as:

1) My Honda's Transmission Failure at 42K with the infamous V6 overpowering their transmission made of straw. Of course, they covered it under warranty and re-warranted it for another 36K miles.

2) My Neon throwing very leaky head gaskets at me at 45K miles.

Owning a car that MSRP's new for more than $50K comes with a price tag.
    andres3 said:

xwesx said:

stickguy said:

I've had worse, far worse......

Engine failure at just shy of 44K miles is still around the same mileage as:

1) My Honda's Transmission Failure at 42K with the infamous V6 overpowering their transmission made of straw. Of course, they covered it under warranty and re-warranted it for another 36K miles.

2) My Neon throwing very leaky head gaskets at me at 45K miles.

Owning a car that MSRP's new for more than $50K comes with a price tag.
    It seems like you should trade your cars in at about 40k miles to be on the safe side.

sounds like somebody that should be leasing.

edited November 2021
    stickguy said:

sounds like somebody that should be leasing.

Or owning for the warranty period....with Audi that's 4 years 50,000 miles.

I wouldn't mind a new engine at 44K if it was under warranty.
    edited November 2021
    We had a Honda from 164,000 miles to 200,000 miles and engine failure never even crossed my mind.

A Civic DX 1.5 or 1.6 motor can't cost that much anyway.
    The Toyota store were I haven't quit yet has about 12 new 2022 Corolla Cross's in stock, mostly LE's and a couple of XLE's. none have the upgraded JBL audio system in them which is probably a good thing. Really not ready to buy one yet to be honest, would rather have them out in the marketplace for awhile to make sure there are no early production issues to deal with. Want one with all the safety nannies, a sun/moon roof plus the JBL system with a gray or Ash interior and either a Celestial Blue exterior or the pearl white paint. Love the way pearl paint just pops in direct sunlight and even though I do like a navy blue color, think it might be too dark for this vehicle. Honestly, I'd prefer the last week of December as a delivery time frame and 2023 could actually work for me.
    But first, need to drive one and see if I'm gonna like it and no matter what, if it doesn't pass "the garage test", then no matter how much I like it, it ain't gonna happen! No way will I buy anything that will not be able to fit on my side of the garage, buying/leasing something to sit outside 24/7 will just not happen!
    Was at the BMW/Mini store a couple times today and saw a new Countryman 4-ddor I really liked but, the idea of going German in another vehicle is giving me the willy's to be honest. I know it'll be a huge mistake unless I lease one, leasing is the preferred way to go if I would buy anything German. This way, after a defined time period, it's gone...end of commitment! Sure, I know it'll be a bit pricey but the lack of any kind of long term risk will be taken off the table and I can just drive & enjoy for the time allotted. And probably best to keep on working if I do lease so paying for it will just come out of my salary, won't upset the family budget/savings plan one bit. Know I'd sleep better at night knowing this in advance & my ability to avoid any kind of vehicular issues would be fulfilled for that time period. A real win/win for me in that case as I'd still have something really fun to drive for some more years.
    Time will tell here as to what will play out but all I know, both vehicles are behaving themselves while not being driven much. And with the crazy fluckuation with the price of petrol, not driving much ain't a bad thing! And don't get me started on the EV vs. hybrid discussion we seem to be having lately. Whatever I do do, just hope "analysis paralysis" doesn't rear it's ugly head as that just adds a whole new dimension to an already difficult and time consuming situation! Sometimes, too much choice is also a bad thing...can sometimes be as bad as not enough choice!

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

Is there actually anything “new” in the corolla cross?

There's no free lunch unless you happen to score one of the "unicorn" leases some of us have gotten in the past few years--and in at least a few of those cases, they are for vehicles that weren't really on the radar, but merited further consideration due to the extremely low cost of ownership when compared to other options, so arguably still no "free lunch" since there is some level of compromise involved.

Given that I assume Andre wants an Audi of some sort (or more than one) in his fleet, for me, it would become a calculation of maximizing enjoyment and minimizing hassle and out of pocket costs.
    No, not really, it's actually just a smaller Rav4 to be honest. And at this stage of my life, all I really want or need in my daily driver. It's got the reliability aspect covered, they drive decent enough and are, "cheap to keep", something I'm really wanting going forward. No surprises every so often, no mystery leaks on the garage floor, will start up every time with no fuss & comes with a decent audio system...who could ask for more!
    So, no, nothing really new in the just released Corolla Cross, but it's all I really really want right now at this stage of my life. And at 67, think I deserve one within the next 12 or so months. Not for everyone...but more than enough for me!

corvette said:

There's no free lunch unless you happen to score one of the "unicorn" leases some of us have gotten in the past few years--and in at least a few of those cases, they are for vehicles that weren't really on the radar, but merited further consideration due to the extremely low cost of ownership when compared to other options, so arguably still no "free lunch" since there is some level of compromise involved.

Given that I assume Andre wants an Audi of some sort (or more than one) in his fleet, for me, it would become a calculation of maximizing enjoyment and minimizing hassle and out of pocket costs.

I think he should just move on from the S4, unless he wants a labor of love, and get an electric car this time around. Based on his location, commute, and driving habits, it seems like a perfect fit to me.
    @xwesx - that reminded me. All the city-owned parking garages in Charleston have signs up indicating that Chevrolet Bolts are no longer welcome to park there due to the pending recall. Not sure that will stop them, but it was interesting to see the signage.