Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• 28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,333

@corvette said:
    @xwesx - that reminded me. All the city-owned parking garages in Charleston have signs up indicating that Chevrolet Bolts are no longer welcome to park there due to the pending recall. Not sure that will stop them, but it was interesting to see the signage.

All of the parking garages on campus at work say the same. They’re actively towing bolts that don’t obey (source: saw it happen).

2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible
  • corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,236
    Wow. Need I ask whether GM is doing the right thing and providing a free rental to Bolt owners, given that they aren't allowed to park their cars in many areas?

@corvette said:
    Wow. Need I ask whether GM is doing the right thing and providing a free rental to Bolt owners, given that they aren't allowed to park their cars in many areas?

You can ask. I think we both can guess the answer.

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,432
    wife and I went to Charleston a few years ago for a long weekend. Really enjoyed it. Hoping to get back some day.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,952
    Ditto, we took the kids there one summer weekend while our son was going to the Duke TIP Program. Ate at Bubba Gump's restaurant which was kinda close to our hotel downtown, do remember it was a very nice hotel. Lots of history & things to see & do there. Really need to go back & stay a bit longer to see things we missed.

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

• qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,889

@Sandman6472 said:
    No, not really, it's actually just a smaller Rav4 to be honest. And at this stage of my life, all I really want or need in my daily driver. It's got the reliability aspect covered, they drive decent enough and are, "cheap to keep", something I'm really wanting going forward. No surprises every so often, no mystery leaks on the garage floor, will start up every time with no fuss & comes with a decent audio system...who could ask for more!
    So, no, nothing really new in the just released Corolla Cross, but it's all I really really want right now at this stage of my life. And at 67, think I deserve one within the next 12 or so months. Not for everyone...but more than enough for me!

I didn’t mean it as a dig. But you mentioned waiting out first-year teething problems, so I was pointing out there shouldn’t be any since it is a proven vehicle with just a new look.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,729
    In Audi Circles there's a lot of talk about miles not mattering in used Audi's much. That actually, low miles are bad, and high miles are good, because everything that was going to fail has already been failed and addressed/fixed/replaced/improved.

There might be a lot of merit to that. I wish I had heeded that advice.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
  • jmonroe1jmonroe1 Member Posts: 7,460
    andres3 said:

In Audi Circles there's a lot of talk about miles not mattering in used Audi's much. That actually, low miles are bad, and high miles are good, because everything that was going to fail has already been failed and addressed/fixed/replaced/improved.

There are always people who will justify buying whatever theory suits them. Personally, I’d stay clear of buying anything used that is considered a performance car unless it is a CPO. People don’t usually buy them to go to church/grocery store. Now, if you know first hand of a grandmother that wants to dump one, then yeah, buy that one. Good luck finding that lady.

jmonroe
    '15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,373
    jmonroe1 said:

andres3 said:

There are always people who will justify buying whatever theory suits them. Personally, I’d stay clear of buying anything used that is considered a performance car unless it is a CPO. People don’t usually buy them to go to church/grocery store. Now, if you know first hand of a grandmother that wants to dump one, then yeah, buy that one. Good luck finding that lady.

jmonroe
    Even then, it is still a gamble. How meticulous is the dealer at going over the CPO car to make sure it meets the manufacturer's standards? Do they just detail it thoroughly and check all the "boxes" on the CPO check list or do they go through it line by line and make sure it is "perfect?"

A few months ago, my best friend bought a CPO 2017 Lexus LX570 with 25K miles. He's fanatical about keeping his cars cleaner than clean. He said the LEXUS dealer went over with him everything that they did to make sure the LX met & exceeded Lexus CPO Standards. He noticed a few swirl marks where it looks like the detailer rushed. They detailed it again. After he was driving it for a few days, the tire pressure monitor said the spare tire was low. He went underneath & checked. The spare tire had low tread depth. They replaced the tire.

@andres3

What's the plan? Are you going to scrap the S4 and daily drive your beloved TTS? Are you going to replace the engine?

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

Tesla plaid. Go for it.

• oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,559
    andres3 said:

That’s an interesting concept. Kind of like saying that if it’s still running, somebody, somewhere, fixed everything that could go wrong.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

It at least shakes out most manufacturing defects.

• mjfloyd1mjfloyd1 Member Posts: 3,220
    edited November 2021

@andres3 said:

All four of the Audi circles? :)

Michaell said:

Given that the Audi failed about the same time the Neon did, I think he should swear off Audis in general, and bad mouth them for the next 20 years.

:laughing:

Coffee right through the nose.

@Michaell said:
    Given that the Audi failed about the same time the Neon did, I think he should swear off Audis in general, and bad mouth them for the next 20 years.

Hyundai/ Kia may make a comeback :)

nyccarguy said:

jmonroe1 said:

andres3 said:

jmonroe
    Even then, it is still a gamble. How meticulous is the dealer at going over the CPO car to make sure it meets the manufacturer's standards? Do they just detail it thoroughly and check all the "boxes" on the CPO check list or do they go through it line by line and make sure it is "perfect?"

A few months ago, my best friend bought a CPO 2017 Lexus LX570 with 25K miles. He's fanatical about keeping his cars cleaner than clean. He said the LEXUS dealer went over with him everything that they did to make sure the LX met & exceeded Lexus CPO Standards. He noticed a few swirl marks where it looks like the detailer rushed. They detailed it again. After he was driving it for a few days, the tire pressure monitor said the spare tire was low. He went underneath & checked. The spare tire had low tread depth. They replaced the tire.

@andres3

What's the plan? Are you going to scrap the S4 and daily drive your beloved TTS? Are you going to replace the engine?
    Of course those things can and do happen and your friend proved that. However, the good part is that it was a CPO.

As I understand it, the dealer decides if they feel a car is CPO eligible per the manufacturers guidelines. Once that requirement has been met they can sell it as a CPO but the manufacturer stands behind that warranty. I have to think if a dealer repeatedly rates a car as a CPO and the manufacturer is pouring money into it, it shouldn’t take very long for the dealer to get dinged for this. One way would be for the dealer to lose bonus money or maybe even lose their eligibility to sell cars as a CPO. That otta wake them up.

jmonroe
    '15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
    Michaell said:

That’s hitting below the belt. :'(

jmonroe
    I really like these. Love colors on this one. And low miles. Needs some TLC it seems. Such a nice design though.

https://carsandbids.com/auctions/3p7W5d46/2000-bmw-528i-sedan

Hey, we have someone looking for something like this! Love the color and looks clean and well maintained. Looks a lot nicer than the ratty 3 series.

https://carsandbids.com/auctions/KDVaak8v/2013-bmw-128i-convertible

• au1994au1994 Member Posts: 3,356
    edited November 2021
    stickguy said:

I really like these. Love colors on this one. And low miles. Needs some TLC it seems. Such a nice design though.

Wow, guess I know where I’ll be spending the next hour…

Edit- No sale at $7100. I wasn’t expecting stupid BaT money but I thought it might get to 9500.

2021 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4xe Granite Crystal over Saddle
    2024 Audi Q5 Premium Plus Daytona Gray over Beige
    2017 BMW X1 Jet Black over Mocha

That guy with the '92 4WS Prelude is going to put his car up on CARSSSSSSSSSSSS AND BIDSSSSSSSSSS

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• sdasda Member Posts: 6,934
    nyccarguy said:

That guy with the '92 4WS Prelude is going to put his car up on CARSSSSSSSSSSSS AND BIDSSSSSSSSSS

Are you in? Red one for your son, blue one for you?

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

sda said:

nyccarguy said:

Are you in? Red one for your son, blue one for you?
    I don't have Low Mileage Cars & Bids money

edited November 2021

@roadburner V8 three pedal //M3 in Paducah KY (but 6 owners and hole in roof)

https://www.bluegrassbmw.com/used/BMW/2011-BMW-M3-4d31ae8a0a0e09af69981ba19a985240.htm

• andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,729
    edited November 2021
    Michaell said:

The car's still 3 tow truck trips shy of competing with Dodge/Chrysler. Big differences. HUGE! LOL!

Also 2 unauthorized multi-billion dollar bailouts shy.

Lastly, I'm not sure I can combine my "used" samples with my "bought new" samples. The Neon was bought new, properly broken in and maintained, so it is out of excuses.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
    mjfloyd1 said:

@roadburner V8 three pedal //M3 in Paducah KY (but 6 owners and hole in roof)

https://www.bluegrassbmw.com/used/BMW/2011-BMW-M3-4d31ae8a0a0e09af69981ba19a985240.htm

He’s going to sue you for that and he’ll probably make it stick too. :(

jmonroe
  • au1994au1994 Member Posts: 3,356
    jmonroe1 said:

andres3 said:

jmonroe
    She lives near me. I’d peg her age at 70 and she drives a pristine silver 5 speed E36 M3.

2021 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4xe Granite Crystal over Saddle
    2024 Audi Q5 Premium Plus Daytona Gray over Beige
    2017 BMW X1 Jet Black over Mocha

au1994 said:

jmonroe1 said:

andres3 said:

jmonroe
    She lives near me. I’d peg her age at 70 and she drives a pristine silver 5 speed E36 M3.
    That’s what my grandmother used to drive.

jmonroe
    Michaell said:

Or buy another Neon since they’re cheaper to replace. :D

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

stickguy said:

I like the design of that vintage. Weren’t the 5s of that era among the most reliable of the BMWs?

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,175

stickguy said:

I like the design of that vintage. Weren’t the 5s of that era among the most reliable of the BMWs?
    Yes! The E39 and E46 are probably the most reliable and cheapest to maintain/repair of all BMW models

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

Q, didn't take it as a dig to be honest. We like different things in our vehicles, right now, we just want reliable and "cheap to keep" with no issues to deal with. As much as I'd love a weekend toy, no room for one but still holding out hope. Am I ready to finally replace the Golf, an astounding "yes", but not going to pay crazy Administrative Fees to get something. At least for me, I've found what I really like. Did sit in a new 2022 Kia Forte N-Line today at their store & really liked it. For $23,800, was pretty well loaded with leather seating surfaces, Harmon Kardon audio and a sun/moon roof. No crazy add-on charges or so it seemed. But, if I'm going to consider a Forte, then I must add the Honda Civic Touring to my short list. Only issue is they may not fit on my side of the garage. The Corolla Cross might just fit the size requirement plus the other ones to, what's not to like!

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

you are looking up a size class. the Forte and Civic are both in the 182-184" length range.

I still think you want a Kona with the 1.6t engine.

• qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,889
    I think someone asked this already, but what about the Venue?

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

Drove a Kona recently and was pretty meh to be honest. Drove a Soul S today also and it's a decent vehicle but again, a bit meh. Guess I'll keep looking while doing nothing until the chip issue is resolved or find something else. Best to just squirrel as much cash away as I can & hunker down to wait. Having the Enterprise gig lets me try most vehicles out there so eventually, that moment of clarity will emerge and I'll pounce on whatever it is that speaks to me. Figure I can find something decent for my car and like $28K cash, just need to be patient which ain't a problem with the lack of inventory.

• MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 240,057

Drove a Kona recently and was pretty meh to be honest. Drove a Soul S today also and it's a decent vehicle but again, a bit meh. Guess I'll keep looking while doing nothing until the chip issue is resolved or find something else. Best to just squirrel as much cash away as I can & hunker down to wait. Having the Enterprise gig lets me try most vehicles out there so eventually, that moment of clarity will emerge and I'll pounce on whatever it is that speaks to me. Figure I can find something decent for my car and like $28K cash, just need to be patient which ain't a problem with the lack of inventory.

@Sandman6472 - you need to drive the Kona with the 1.6T, not the base engine. It will behave more like your current Golf, for sure.

I test drove one a few months back and was pleasantly surprised at how nice it was.

This was before the price insanity - the model I drove was the top trip Ultimate and the local dealer was advertising $5K off MSRP - around $25K.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• rny421rny421 Member Posts: 160
    stickguy said:

Hey, we have someone looking for something like this! Love the color and looks clean and well maintained. Looks a lot nicer than the ratty 3 series.

https://carsandbids.com/auctions/KDVaak8v/2013-bmw-128i-convertible

Me?? I like the size of the 1 series, but for some reason I don't like the frond end :-/
    2017 Mercedes GLC300 | 2021 Audi E-Tron
    I drove a slightly used Kona ultimate a few months ago. it was definitely quick. a lot faster than a Golf. same drivetrain as in my Elantra which really moved.

• tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,849

If the Kona is meh. I can’t imagine the Corolla Cross to be much better.

Kona with the bigger engine is a nice little ride IMO.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

the Corolla cross is about 176" long. maybe it will fit!

Me. I would put in a tankless and get rid of the offending water heater, to make room for a longer car!

I did read a review on a cross recently. seemed like a pleasant runabout. Nothing fun to drive (lots of body roll) and kinda pokey (plan ahead for highway moves!). But a comfy ride.

Figured the 1.6T engine is the one to get to be honest. This morning on the way to work, left the shifter in "S" mode the whole way and didn't put it back into "D" mode and the car did seem more peppy but did notice the tach holding on to gears longer. The increase in power was definitely felt off the line as I pulled away from each stop light. Funny really as I was interested in the Elantra GT 5-door with the N-Line package but they no longer make 'em it seems.
    Again, I'm somewhat lucky as I don't need to do anything right now and can wait till the chip crisis passes us by. Just finding inventory is the issue now and no way will I pay any re-adjustment market increase to make up for their lost profit margins. Will just not over pay for any vehicle right now. Something will pop up that I really like and eventually, I drive it home. Might even give a Seltos another look, don't really want AWD, but am willing to look just to see how it drives.

Figured the 1.6T engine is the one to get to be honest. This morning on the way to work, left the shifter in "S" mode the whole way and didn't put it back into "D" mode and the car did seem more peppy but did notice the tach holding on to gears longer. The increase in power was definitely felt off the line as I pulled away from each stop light. Funny really as I was interested in the Elantra GT 5-door with the N-Line package but they no longer make 'em it seems.
    Again, I'm somewhat lucky as I don't need to do anything right now and can wait till the chip crisis passes us by. Just finding inventory is the issue now and no way will I pay any re-adjustment market increase to make up for their lost profit margins. Will just not over pay for any vehicle right now. Something will pop up that I really like and eventually, I drive it home. Might even give a Seltos another look, don't really want AWD, but am willing to look just to see how it drives.

You'd prefer the Kona over the Elantra GT, as the Kona has a higher ride height which should be better for your back.

My son has an E-GT that he bought 3 1/2 years ago. I think he's conteplating an upgrade now that he has a 10 year old and a 2 month old.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

I really like this one. I think the NC was the first Miata I could actually drive comfortably. This one is nice. Same colors as the one that I had.

https://carsandbids.com/auctions/3zO5Yoq4/2006-mazda-mx-5-miata-touring

and here is another Lexus manual. I think I found all 3 they sold recently! nice low miles on this one. Really curious what it ends up going for. Not perfect, but if cheap enough, I might want this for myself. at least it is different!

https://carsandbids.com/auctions/9QlYvRQM/2011-lexus-is-250c

Michaell said:

You'd prefer the Kona over the Elantra GT, as the Kona has a higher ride height which should be better for your back.

My son has an E-GT that he bought 3 1/2 years ago. I think he's conteplating an upgrade now that he has a 10 year old and a 2 month old.
    Kona does sit higher. the EGT was low as the sedan. and with 2 little kids and car seats/strollers, no way it sounds big enough.

and here is something completely different. Can cover my "practical hauler" and "get a manual for some fun to drive" all in one car! Plus it is cool. And no, I don't have the tools or experience to keep up with it!

https://carsandbids.com/auctions/3OAVAZnj/1987-volvo-740-gle

stickguy said:

Michaell said:

Kona does sit higher. the EGT was low as the sedan. and with 2 little kids and car seats/strollers, no way it sounds big enough.
    The 10 year old is almost as tall as her mother. My ex has a last gen Santa Fe if they need more room. My son would like something Tucson sized.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

If I had to replace the RDX now, a Tucson hybrid would be high on the list

stickguy said:

and here is something completely different. Can cover my "practical hauler" and "get a manual for some fun to drive" all in one car! Plus it is cool. And no, I don't have the tools or experience to keep up with it!

https://carsandbids.com/auctions/3OAVAZnj/1987-volvo-740-gle

Is this guy really serious trying to sell a 300K mile car? I don’t care how good it’s reliability reputation is. Not me.

jmonroe
    You are definitely not the target buyer of a Volvo brick wagon with a 4 banger and manual trans. But those people are out there.