Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,237
    @stickguy if she's a hustler, she can just scoop a beater on Craigslist and then resell it when she leaves!
  • 28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,334
    edited November 2021

I hear there may be a Prius for sale in Kentucky…safe to drive across the country.

2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible
    I neglected to share my favorite Tail of the Dragon story from this trip. I stayed at Fontana Village Resort, which has become kind of run down. Irrespective of that, I saw a Nissan Leaf pull up to an outdoor lighting pole and attempt to connect to a 120V plug. That area is a hole in the wall, and there's no telling how long they would have to charge on 120 to get enough juice to get them to a faster charger.
  • roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,312
    The trip home from Hilton Head was uneventful; I don't regret bugging out, as it rained for most of the morning- with temps in the low 50s. The Club Sport performed like a champ, averaging 29 mpg for the trip.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,762
    corvette said:

stickguy said:

43 is certainly good, but on longer trips my daughters Jettas, and my Elantra (from my personal experience) could both top 40 (the Jetta for sure).

Apples and oranges... Anything newer is going to be better. We're talking about a $2,700 used car here. There aren't many available in that price range that will break 40 MPG highway.
    Naw; that's great! Sounds like a keeper.
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,031
    corvette said:

stickguy said:

43 is certainly good, but on longer trips my daughters Jettas, and my Elantra (from my personal experience) could both top 40 (the Jetta for sure).

Apples and oranges... Anything newer is going to be better. We're talking about a $2,700 used car here. There aren't many available in that price range that will break 40 MPG highway.
    Tough crowd here. Maybe you can stick on a blue and white roundel badge on it so they will start to worship it. ;)

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• tifightertifighter Member Posts: 3,592
    Rainy afternoon browsing continues-
    tifighter said:

qbrozen said:

@stickguy said:

went newer than the 3 series I looked at for you. I will stick with a TT.

2nd choice is a 2 series BMW convert.

No love for the z4?

Z4 no tiene un softtopo. Solamente un topo rigido retracto.

As for the car, it has to be a 2 series.

Nailed it.

23 Civic Type-R / 22 MDX Type-S / 21 Tesla Y LR / 03 Montero Ltd

• qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,891
    good god.
    Carvana offering $15,800 on the van!
    And Driveway is at $53k on the Jeep. I just wrote to confirm they are OK with it being a lease.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 240,145
    For all you lease hackers out there (you know who you are), Nissan is now offering a 12 month lease on the Leaf.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,439
    Seems counterintuitive, amortizing all the fixed costs over such a short period.

But for $200 sign and drive, I would take one!

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,200
    stickguy said:

Seems counterintuitive, amortizing all the fixed costs over such a short period.

But for $200 sign and drive, I would take one!

If you have a big incentive and/or discount, amortizing that amount over fewer months may be advantageous.

Not in this case, most likely.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,953
    So Q, does this mean you'll be selling both vehicles? Guess it works as y'all still have 3 other road worth vehicles to use in the meantime. Am thinking that next time, I should consider doing a lease since my yearly miles are so low know and since I'm now back to one job, I'll be driving even less. Just have to wrap my mind around not owning my d d, just renting it from another party...am so used to just owning my vehicles. But in this new world, just might make sense to lease for a decent payment, always be under warranty & turn in every to 3 years, depending on the length of the lease.
    Just have to really think about this for awhile. It's really something very new to us.

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

edited November 2021
    Leasing is really just a method of financing. Though so is paying cash (which just makes you your own finance company)

edited November 2021
    Absolutely right but, since we've never done it before, just need some time to understand it all. With leasing, we'd just be renting it for a period of time while always being under warranty. The only things we might have to purchase is new tires, but think that depends on how long the lease is for. Everything else would still be the same. So, we'll just have to see what happens once the dealers get more inventory in.
    Looks like I've been replaced already at the Toyota store. New guy is starting this week, like this afternoon, which would've been my hours. Feel better now that I was told they hired a replacement. I did like the job but not as much as my other one. And I know I could do it, just think working 40 + hours is too much for me at this stage, the three days I have currently should be plenty. But I know that quitting now was the right thing to do! Didn't really want to do it anymore and even though I thought I'd make it through the end of the year, just didn't happen. Still dealing with a slight case of vertigo still, so driving with it was not going to happen.

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

So Q, does this mean you'll be selling both vehicles? Guess it works as y'all still have 3 other road worth vehicles to use in the meantime.

I think so. To be honest, it makes me a little nervous. Which is crazy, when you think about it. We'll still have 4 vehicles, actually: Benz, Escape, Charger, Fiat.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,762
    qbrozen said:

So Q, does this mean you'll be selling both vehicles? Guess it works as y'all still have 3 other road worth vehicles to use in the meantime.

I think so. To be honest, it makes me a little nervous. Which is crazy, when you think about it. We'll still have 4 vehicles, actually: Benz, Escape, Charger, Fiat.
    And, three of those are significantly older than the van.....
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
    edited November 2021
    I forgot about the Escape, thought it was going to sit in South Carolina? And not sure if the Benz was fixed enough to be useable. How does she feel about driving the Benz as her daily driver? If the wife uses the Fiat for the time being, y'all should be in good shape. Put that extra income away until your other vehicle comes in.

And an old ML and a FIAT, not known as paragons of reliability!

edited November 2021
    Yeah, but only the van has broken on her at this point, so, as far as she is concerned, that's the dud of the bunch.

I really gotta take that Fiat for service one of these days!

Thing with the van is that the current Carvana offer is $3k higher than any other buyer. I'm afraid to let it slip through out fingers when we know we are selling it eventually.

Benz is supposedly done but the mechanic hasn't answered me in a couple of days. Escape runs great so far. I'm not ready to leave it down south. Maybe after winter or after the Sprinter arrives, whichever occurs first.

Looks like I've been replaced already at the Toyota store. New guy is starting this week, like this afternoon, which would've been my hours. Feel better now that I was told they hired a replacement.

I'm just amazed that they wanted their shirts back and presumably are handing them off to the new guy. :o

I wondered about the shirts too. I think you are supposed to keep those!

ahhhh.... Benz is NOT done. Getting deeper and deeper on it. Runs great now, he says, and the one broken shock is replaced. He thought he had the TPMS licked, but it came back on after 50 miles. No idea why yet. The MB computer he has tells him the sensors are there, but the car doesn't want to read them. We then discussed oil leaks. I thought he had fixed that with the intake. Nope. He says the RMS needs replacing, along with the motor mounts. Oh, and the valve covers are warped, which is a common issue. About another $1500 to get the leaks properly sorted.

buy a case of oil and just keep refilling. should be cheaper.

I can't do it. Oil leaks drive me NUTS!

• sdasda Member Posts: 6,936
    In general, car repair has become so expensive. The TL has a minor leak at the main seal. So far it doesn't leak enough to require adding oil between changes but I am keeping (now my wife is as I can't) an eye on it. Ideally I would have the main seal replaced (just under $2k for the repair), but on a 16 year old car with 166k that doesn't seem like money well spent.

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

sda said:

In general, car repair has become so expensive. The TL has a minor leak at the main seal. So far it doesn't leak enough to require adding oil between changes but I am keeping (now my wife is as I can't) an eye on it. Ideally I would have the main seal replaced (just under $2k for the repair), but on a 16 year old car with 166k that doesn't seem like money well spent.

If you don't need oil between changes, is it really leaking? ;)

Weeping, maybe.. lol

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• au1994au1994 Member Posts: 3,356
    edited November 2021
    I don’t want to know what the tab on the Benz is so far.

@sda, I don’t think I’d do that one. Roll the dice on that one.

@nyccarguy, when is the Prelude you posted hitting C & B?

2021 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4xe Granite Crystal over Saddle
    2024 Audi Q5 Premium Plus Daytona Gray over Beige
    2017 BMW X1 Jet Black over Mocha

sda said:

look at the bright side. if your tranny craps out, the RMS will be super cheap while they are in there!

stickguy said:

sda said:

look at the bright side. if your tranny craps out, the RMS will be super cheap while they are in there!
    Who brought the good news bear...?
    On an older car, I just support monitoring it. Put down a drip pan in the garage, wipe it off every so often, and check the offending fluid weekly. As long as you aren't coating the road every time you drive and going through a quart of oil per week, no worries. And I hate leaks too, but have to do the cost/benefit analysis.

or put in a lift. With one of those, a RMS is about a $5 job (estimating the cost of the seal here). It's all labor. Your labor is free!

My favorite deal like that is what Alex of Legitstreetcars just did in his garage. V12 TT Mercedes, has a $10 tube that breaks and causes oil to puddle up in the valley of the Vee and leak out. Dealer cost to replace? $10,000 since it is an engine out job (and of course, a whole lotta "while it is out and you are in there" jobs will get added in).

• sdasda Member Posts: 6,936
    kyfdx said:

sda said:

If you don't need oil between changes, is it really leaking? ;)

Weeping, maybe.. lol
    It leaves a dime size drip on the driveway after it’s been driven. I have spread oil absorber fashioned in a square where it is parked to absorb the drips and to minimize staining the driveway. The oil absorber looks like gray kitty litter.

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

• mjfloyd1mjfloyd1 Member Posts: 3,224
    edited November 2021

@qbrozen said:

Don’t you also have the parts car…errr I mean car in parts? :)

I really want a car. don't actually need it, I just want one. Been too long, and I am bored.

very frustrating that supply of anything is so limited, and the few things out there are absurd prices.

• explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,256
    My Mustang has had a RMS leak for years. I use high mileage Valvoline. It seems to help.
    No drips on the floor but you can still see it seeps if you get under there.
    Of course, the Mustang doesn't have VVT or anything like that.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
    I made the mistake of switching to synthetic oil in the Cutlass some years back and it immediately started showing drips. Not my problem any more, but I don't know if switching back to dino oil would help or not.

• roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,312
    edited November 2021
    My service advisor at BMW recommended Liqui Moly Motor Oil Saver for the Club Sport and Clubman. So far it seems to work pretty well.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• jmonroe1jmonroe1 Member Posts: 7,466

It was in the job description, must fit in medium size polo. ;)

And no horizontal stripes like a poster buddy on the other forum had the nerve to show us.

FWIW, I don’t wear cloths that advertise anything. I’m from the generation that if the name tag on your apparel was showing you were told you that you had your cloths on inside out.

jmonroe
    '15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)

@roadburner said:
    My service advisor at BMW recommended Liqui Moly Motor Oil Saver for the Club Sport and Clubman. So far it seems to work pretty well.

I second this.

• oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,562
    corvette said:

I neglected to share my favorite Tail of the Dragon story from this trip. I stayed at Fontana Village Resort, which has become kind of run down. Irrespective of that, I saw a Nissan Leaf pull up to an outdoor lighting pole and attempt to connect to a 120V plug. That area is a hole in the wall, and there's no telling how long they would have to charge on 120 to get enough juice to get them to a faster charger.

It takes 60 hours to get 250 miles on a Hyundai Kona EV from a regular 120V outlet.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

It takes 60 hours to get 250 miles on a Hyundai Kona EV from a regular 120V outlet.

At a charge rate of 4-ish miles of range per hour of charge, even mildly overshooting one of your projected quick charge stops could seriously delay a trip, not to mention the possible scenario of the lone DC fast charger in an area being out of commission.
    sda said:

When I bought my cargo van it leaked like a sieve. Fortunately, I had a mechanic at work play with it and he replaced both main seals, oil pan and transmission pan gaskets and a few other things I forget for $700.

If your car is leaking less than a quart between oil changes at 166k miles I’d save the money and just drive it.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

@oldfarmer50 said:

Huh. I wonder why so slow. The Wrangler is advertised as 12 hrs (I have found it to be more like 9-10). The Kona’s battery is 3.7x larger, so I’d expect it to be no more than 44 hrs charging.

I think it is also limited by the charging tech on the particular car. Basically, it will only charge as fast as it wants to!

I’m sure. You’d think pure EVs would be better at it. Gotta cut costs somewhere, I suppose.

edited November 2021
    There is also an "overhead" involved when using 120V outlets in that most cars will not charge more than 12 amps, even though modern 120V circuits are at least 15 amps, and sometimes 20.
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,256
    I wonder how fast to charge to 80%? From what I understand the last 20% takes a long time, due to slowing the charging rate.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
    qbrozen said:

@oldfarmer50 said:

Huh. I wonder why so slow. The Wrangler is advertised as 12 hrs (I have found it to be more like 9-10). The Kona’s battery is 3.7x larger, so I’d expect it to be no more than 44 hrs charging.

No idea. All I know is that when they rolled off the truck they plugged them into a regular outlet because they had nothing else and the car’s dash indicated 60 hours to full charge. I don’t know if it was a shorter time to say, 80%.

I spoke to a customer who was returning one once and she had recharged at a dedicated charger at her hotel. She was surprised that it took all night. I guessing she used a 220V and not something more powerful.

I’ve seen them plugged into 120V outlets in the parking garage and remarked to the agents that it must take a while to recharge them there. One guy laughed and said it would take days and they were just using that plug to keep the batteries topped off. From what I gather there are supercharger type stations on the roof of the garage that they need to use for the cars to have any practical value as rentals.

stickguy said:

I wondered about the shirts too. I think you are supposed to keep those!

Yeah, I don’t think I’d like to be the next guy to wear them after use in the hot Florida climate. :(

I'm guessing they don't re-issue the shirts.

They don't want @Sandman6472 sticking up his local bank with Joe's Toyota showing up on the security cameras.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator