Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Edmunds Members - Cars and Conversations

Comments

• Options
    graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665

My son is going old school,; for his birthday he wanted a record player. I bought him an Audio-Technica turntable and Edifer powered near field monitors.
    He should be happy.

My wife has been talking about getting a turntable. That means I'll have to get and set up a whole system. Plus buying new vinyl disks that are required for it (I'll never recreate my old record collection).
    There are bunches of these turntable makers all over the place these days. Audio-Technica TTs are sold just about anywhere electronics are sold. There’s even a couple of on line only companies selling decent gear….

Uturnaudio.com
    Fluance.com

Plus, some companies never quit making turntables…..Thorens, Pro-Ject, etc

Stay away from the Crosley stuff. It’s junk.
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
  • Options
    ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,095
    At first glance I thought that was a cloud of dense dark smoke boiling out of the roof of that Ford.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• Options
    abacomikeabacomike Member Posts: 12,258

Was discharged from hospital last Saturday, November 20th - 11 days in hospital. Still in pain. Refused rehab because my insurance would only authorize a more step down facility that was more nursing home than physical rehab. Getting PT at home 3 times a week. Supposed to get a home health aide this week. Also, nurse is supposed to visit once or twice a week.

They provided me with a 4 wheel extra strong walker with a seat to sit on if I get tired or have too much pain. I was able to walk down to the elevator and go down and start my car - was sitting idle for almost 3 weeks. Started right up.

I contacted a food supplier that delivers ready-to-microwave meals. I ordered 14 meals a week which I chose from a wide assortment of entrees. They delivered yesterday. I just open the plastic wrapping around the microwaveable dish and cook for 3 minutes. I had chicken parmigiana with zucchini and a little linguine. 512 calories. I ordered mostly various chicken dishes. It costs $9.99 per meal or just $140 a week. The first 2 weeks are only $120 due to an introductory discount. They deliver every Sunday at no charge. Food was delicious. I ave lost 20 pounds and reduced my insulin intake by 55%.

Still having pain. Going to doctor tomorrow to have staples removed - friend is driving me.

Also had my cleaning lady over yesterday for 3 hours - did my laundry and changed bedding and cleaned house. I am going to have her come in every week instead of every other week.

The pain I am having is troublesome. Surgery took 3 hours.

I hope I improve sufficiently so I can fly out to California to see my son before he passes.

2021 Genesis G90

• Options
    stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,556

Keep fighting mike. Hopefully you finally get some relief as you recover.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• Options
    jmonroe1jmonroe1 Member Posts: 7,563

@tjc78 said:
    Brain cells must deplete around the holidays.

That’s a Christmas Vacation copy cat. Which in my not so humble opinion is still the best Christmas movie. I watch it every year. Just wouldn’t be the Christmas season without watching it.

jmonroe

'15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
  • Options
    tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,926

@stickguy said:
    Keep fighting mike. Hopefully you finally get some relief as you recover.

This. Hang in there!

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• Options

@jmonroe1 said:

@tjc78 said:

That’s a Christmas Vacation copy cat. Which in my not so humble opinion is still the best Christmas movie. I watch it every year. Just wouldn’t be the Christmas season without watching it.

jmonroe

You are correct one of the best Xmas movies!

• Options

@Mike, if anyone can fight through this it’s you. We’re all pulling for you.

Good luck.

jmonroe

'15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
  • Options
    explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,320
    @ab348,
    Glad to hear you are back at it after your surgery. Bad news is you need to get your eyes checked.
    The tree is sitting on top of a Hyundai. :D
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • Options
    qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,948
    tjc78 said:

Without a doubt! The whole fam was out and about on Friday and we witnessed SO MUCH bad driving, we couldn't help but get to the point of laughing.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• Options
    MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,296
    tjc78 said:

Nah, that's Die Hard

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• Options
    snakeweaselsnakeweasel Member Posts: 19,328

@Michaell said:
    Nah, that's Die Hard

"Die Hard" is not a Christmas movie.

2011 Hyundai Sonata, 2014 BMW 428i convertible, 2015 Honda CTX700D

• Options
    driver100driver100 Member Posts: 31,976
    @abacomike Hope the surgery just needs time to kick in and that things improve with time.

2017 MB E400 , 2015 MB GLK350, 2014 MB C250

• Options

@Michaell said:

Nah, that's Die Hard

Actually, it is:
    Die Hard Is a Christmas Movie Whether You Like It or Not
    BY JONNY HOFFMAN
    A deep dive into the beloved action film, Die Hard proves it's also a Christmas classic.
    https://movieweb.com/die-hard-christmas-movie/

• Options

@snakeweasel said:

@Michaell said:
    Nah, that's Die Hard

OMG wife and I just had this conversation last night (we saw it searching for a movie to watch).

We both agreed it is a Christmas movie.

• Options

@tjc78 said:

@snakeweasel said:

@Michaell said:
    Nah, that's Die Hard

OMG wife and I just had this conversation last night (we saw it searching for a movie to watch).

Yep nothing says Christmas like a high body count, loud explosions, people being terrorized and collateral damage.

• Options

@driver100 said:
    Actually, it is:
    BY JONNY HOFFMAN
    A deep dive into the beloved action film, Die Hard proves it's also a Christmas classic.

https://www.ncregister.com/blog/7-reasons-die-hard-is-not-a-christmas-movie

• Options
    andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,729

@driver100 said:

Actually, it is:

BY JONNY HOFFMAN

https://www.ncregister.com/blog/7-reasons-die-hard-is-not-a-christmas-movie

I'm going to have to side with Christmas movie side with the deciding factor being the release date of the movie. If it was October-December, nod goes to Christmas movie. If it wasn't released at the end of the year, then nod goes to NOT a Christmas movie.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
  • Options

@snakeweasel said:

@tjc78 said:

@snakeweasel said:

@Michaell said:
    Nah, that's Die Hard

Yep nothing says Christmas like a high body count, loud explosions, people being terrorized and collateral damage.

@snakeweasel said:

@tjc78 said:

@snakeweasel said:

@Michaell said:
    Nah, that's Die Hard

No one said it was a happy Christmas movie!

• Options

@ab348,
    Glad to hear you are back at it after your surgery. Bad news is you need to get your eyes checked.
    The tree is sitting on top of a Hyundai. :D

I must have perceived that subconsciously at first glance. It makes the prospect of a catastrophic engine fire much more probable. :D

• Options

Anybody else ever take on the enviable task of replacing a light bulb in a microwave? Who the heck thought it was a good idea to limit access to the ONE consumable part?!

And that is only part of it. That whole top section had to come off. Apparently that photo did not save for some reason.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• Options

@qbrozen said:
    Anybody else ever take on the enviable task of replacing a light bulb in a microwave? Who the heck thought it was a good idea to limit access to the ONE consumable part?!

And that is only part of it. That whole top section had to come off. Apparently that photo did not save for some reason.

I was about to and then a few weeks later it died altogether and I go to replace the whole thing.

• Options
    we have an air fryer/toaster oven. about a year in (maybe 2) the bulb went out. Not a major deal, but annoying. I figured I would pop a new one in. but could not for the life of me figure out how to get the cover off.

turns out, sealed unit, and no way to replace it. But under warranty, so they actually shipped me a brand new unit. Due to a burned out bulb. seemed crazy, but whatever.

• Options
    roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,362
    Michaell said:

tjc78 said:

Nah, that's Die Hard
    Agreed! My son and I watch it almost every Christmas Eve.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• Options
    roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,362

@tjc78 said:

@snakeweasel said:

@Michaell said:

Nah, that's Die Hard

Precisely- and a soundtrack that features Christmas in Hollis by Run-DMC is just the icing on the cake!

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• Options

My microwave is Frigidaire branded one (I think made by LG) and the bulb isn’t too hard to get at, just remove 1 or 2 screws to take off the lens. You see the oddball light bulb then; it looks almost like an old-time vacuum tube in size and shape, but is a 120V incandescent bulb with what I think is a non-standard base.
    My original lasted 15 years before it blew. Taking it out was a challenge. The base was rusted to the socket and twisting the bulb resulted in the glass breaking off leaving the base behind. I tried every trick I could think of to remove it but the only one that worked was to find a socket wrench a bit smaller than the inside diameter of the busted bulb socket and then give it a few wraps of electrical tape so it could be a tight compressed fit inside the socket. The leverage of the ratchet handle broke things loose.

I went to the appliance parts place and paid $20 for the correct new GE bulb. It burned out in less than a month. Replaced it with LEDs I found online that were a lot cheaper. A real PITA overall.

• Options
    imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,154
    qbrozen said:

My Whirlpool over-the-range microwave has a small plate over the light bulb underneath, held on by 2 phillips screws. Easy.

I even replaced it with an LED bulb a few years back. I found the equivalent LED bulb to replace the 40-watt bulb I believe the original was. So now it's 4 or 6 watts, something of that order and a lot of light.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• Options
    abacomikeabacomike Member Posts: 12,258
    edited November 2021

Hobbled down to the car to start it up and run it for 20 minutes. Last time the car ran was November 9th.

It started right up and got the charge up to 70% according to my Genesis Connect APP. It was down to 65% prior to starting it. When the car has not been started for 7 consecutive days, all connect services shut down until the car engine runs for 5 minutes or more.

I am hoping I can drive it soon. I only have 3,300 miles on it since I bought it on March 29th - it’s 8 months old today. My staples come out tomorrow morning. Still having pain when I stand in one place for more than 5 minutes. But if I am walking with the walker, I can walk without pain.

The meal delivery plan is working out great. Food is delicious and I eat about 1000 calories a day which is helping me lose weight. Down 25 pounds in 3 weeks so far. My goal is 50 pounds in 3 months - first weight loss is fluids but I am hydrating to stay healthy.

Good to be back again!

2021 Genesis G90

• Options

My Whirlpool over-the-range microwave has a small plate over the light bulb underneath, held on by 2 phillips screws. Easy.

That's originally what I assumed would be involved. Nope. Not for this one. Quite the chore. You can't tell from that pic, but mine is attached to the oven. The entire unit needs to come out of the wall before you can even get started on the job. (after turning off the breaker, of course)

• Options
    explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,320
    I've had my Explorer for 10 months and it has about 9300 miles on it.
    Each trip to Ohio is over 1100 miles there and back.
    It's been there 5 times and one of those trips continued to Michigan and back(another 800 miles).
    I did also have my MKZ for 7 of those months, but I drove it maybe 2500 miles during that time.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • Options
    The C250 had been in the garage from March 14th 2020 until Nov 6 2021....almost 20 months with 0 (zero) miles put on it. It is 8 years old with 34000 miles on it.

I read both opinions about Die Hard and it being a Christmas movie and I think the pro side had better reasons.

• Options
    laurasdadalaurasdada Member Posts: 4,733

@tjc78 said:

@snakeweasel said:

@Michaell said:

Nah, that's Die Hard

And, good triumphing over evil!

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

• Options
    oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,671
    edited November 2021
    We had some drama today.

After being assigned to the airport all day we were fed up with the monotony and about 5:00 pm we broke for coffee. On the way we discovered a badly injured buck laying in the middle of the dark 4 lane highway, obviously hit, obviously dying. We called the police so someone could put the poor thing out of it’s misery.

We pulled into our coffee place and found the guy who hit the deer he was looking at his badly smashed Tacoma. After making sure he wasn’t hurt we looked at the truck. Bumper gone, grill smashed, headlight non-existent. The hood looked tweaked and the fender was pushed back into the driver’s door. Ball park guess $8,000 in damage.

The police removed the deer (don’t know if it died or they euthanized it) and they gave the guy a police report for his insurance. If we had been 30 seconds faster that would have been us.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• Options
    am I the only one here that never even liked that movie?

And put me firmly in the court of "not an Xmas movie" I believe Bruce Willis agrees too, and he should know!

Miracle on 34th street, and it's a wonderful life, those are Christmas movies!

Though Christmas in Hollis is actually my favorite Christmas song FWIW.

• Options

We had some drama today.

After being assigned to the airport all day we were fed up with the monotony and about 5:00 pm we broke for coffee. On the way we discovered a badly injured buck laying in the middle of the dark 4 lane highway, obviously hit, obviously dying. We called the police so someone could put the poor thing out of it’s misery.

We pulled into our coffee place and found the guy who hit the deer he was looking at his badly smashed Tacoma. After making sure he wasn’t hurt we looked at the truck. Bumper gone, grill smashed, headlight non-existent. The hood looked tweaked and the fender was pushed back into the driver’s door. Ball park guess $8,000 in damage.

The police removed the deer (don’t know if it died or they euthanized it) and they gave the guy a police report for his insurance. If we had been 30 seconds faster that would have been us.

lucky. I hit one once with my 1990 Nissan PU. Thankfully it was likely a smaller deer, and I almost got stopped in time, so just broke a few bars on the plastic grill and pushed in the lip of the hood slightly. but it was still scary.

• Options
    MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,296
    edited November 2021
    stickguy said:

Though Christmas in Hollis is actually my favorite Christmas song FWIW.

Mine is "2000 Miles" from the Pretenders.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• Options

Took my son to the Sixers game last night. Always a good time.

• Options
    jipsterjipster Member Posts: 6,244

Die Hard a Christmas movie? Vote no. Die Hard is an action movie that takes place during Christmas. No holiday greetings, gift exchanges or ugly sweater contests that I can recall. Excellent movie though.

2020 Honda Accord EX-L, 2011 Hyundai Veracruz, 2010 Mercury Milan Premiere, 2007 Kia Optima
  • Options
    jipsterjipster Member Posts: 6,244

My son's 2010 Mercury Milan may be headed to a new owner, or landfill. The power steering went out yesterday. It has a "Service Power Steering Now", light on. So guess I have to hurry. It's an electronic power steering system, and they can be expensive to replace. Around $1500 to $3,000 from what I've read. Will drop off at indie mechanic this morning and hope for the best. Fingers crossed 🤞.

2020 Honda Accord EX-L, 2011 Hyundai Veracruz, 2010 Mercury Milan Premiere, 2007 Kia Optima
  • Options
    @jipster As a general rule I say when 2 major repairs are needed it is probably better to bale out now before #3.
    Good luck....hope it is an easy fix.

• Options

@driver100 said:
    The C250 had been in the garage from March 14th 2020 until Nov 6 2021....almost 20 months with 0 (zero) miles put on it. It is 8 years old with 34000 miles on it.

I read both opinions about Die Hard and it being a Christmas movie and I think the pro side had better reasons.

I really dont think that the pro side has good reasons. I boils down to it is set at Christmas time (not Christmas day either) and has Christmas music in it. Based on that I can think of a couple of war movies that would qualify as Christmas movies.

There is no Christmas theme in the movies plot and it can be basically set at any time of the year without diminishing the plot. Hence it's not a Christmas movie. A movie that takes place around Christmas but not a Christmas movie.

• Options

@oldfarmer50 said:
    We had some drama today.

How do you know the police removed it. Something similar happened to my sister in Colorado many decades ago. It was several elk that suddenly appeared and they struck and killed two of them. She says that two people who stopped to render aid also took the elk when they left.

• Options
    sb55sb55 Member Posts: 616

@oldfarmer50 said:

We had some drama today.

How do you know the police removed it. Something similar happened to my sister in Colorado many decades ago. It was several elk that suddenly appeared and they struck and killed two of them. She says that two people who stopped to render aid also took the elk when they left.

Maybe these guys swooped in and got the roadkill:
    https://vtdigger.org/2021/11/25/two-vermont-game-wardens-are-putting-roadkill-to-good-use/

2021 Toyota Venza Limited Hybrid, 2022 Ram 2500 Laramie 6.4 Hemi, 2007 Mazda MX-5 Miata PRHT

• Options
    graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    Well….we went from turntables to the old reliable….microwaves. Once again, we’ve come full circle. LOL!

I think my microwave is 24 years old. LIght still comes on. Touchpad works. Turntable turns. It still reheats and defrosts. And, it has a vent fan that still works. I may have just jinxed myself.

And yes, Die Hard is a Christmas movie! It even has Christmas decorations and gifts (that are left in the livery car) as part of the “festivities”. It’s as much a Christmas Movie as Home Alone (which I hear has been dismally remade) or Charlie Brown’s Christmas.

I used to have a Keurig. Every 6 months or so, it would break down. They would have me send it back for repair (at which time I resorted to ye ‘ole percolator). They’d invariably would send a new one as a result. Became very tired of that. And given it made bad coffee to begin with, I finally got a Nespresso machine. Makes great coffee. 3 years and no issues (fingers crossed).
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
  • Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,185
    We have a standard GE microwave that was installed into a cabinet above the oven. Now, 23 years old. Not a single repair or hiccup. We broke the glass plate, at one time, but they were still making the same part.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options

@snakeweasel said:

@oldfarmer50 said:
    We had some drama today.

Son #1 hit a deer in 1993 with his ‘91 Grand Prix about 2 AM one Sunday morning. He was 2 years out of the State Penn (I mean Penn State). We were living in SC at the time and he made his weekly report-in to his Mother Sunday morning. He said he hit a deer which scared the begeezers out of him but he was alright (it turned out he had about 2 grand worth of damage). I asked if he reported it to the PA State Police since he was driving on I-79. He said he didn’t so I told him for insurance purposes he should do it ASAP. He did and he called back and said as soon as he reported it, the state cop asked him if he wanted the deer because “he was entitled to it”. He told the cop he could keep it if it was still there. The cop told him there was no chance of that happening because he was sure it would have been picked up by the first hunter that drove by with a pick-up. I never knew they were so valuable.

jmonroe

• Options

@graphicguy said:
    Well….we went from turntables to the old reliable….microwaves. Once again, we’ve come full circle. LOL!

I think my microwave is 24 years old. LIght still comes on. Touchpad works. Turntable turns. It still reheats and defrosts. And, it has a vent fan that still works. I may have just jinxed myself.

And yes, Die Hard is a Christmas movie! It even has Christmas decorations and gifts (that are left in the livery car) as part of the “festivities”. It’s as much a Christmas Movie as Home Alone (which I hear has been dismally remade) or Charlie Brown’s Christmas.

I used to have a Keurig. Every 6 months or so, it would break down. They would have me send it back for repair (at which time I resorted to ye ‘ole percolator). They’d invariably would send a new one as a result. Became very tired of that. And given it made bad coffee to begin with, I finally got a Nespresso machine. Makes great coffee. 3 years and no issues (fingers crossed).

You sure know how to jinx kitchen appliances don’t you? Don’t come crying to us when you have to replace them. :'(

FWIW, I think dishwashers are the least reliable kitchen appliance.

jmonroe

• Options
    bwiabwia Member Posts: 2,913
    jmonroe1 said:

@Mike, if anyone can fight through this it’s you. We’re all pulling for you.

Good luck.

jmonroe

Ditto, @mike. Life is filled with ups and downs and pain management is one of the toughest things to control. Of the many options offered to you choose a plan that you can live with. My cousin down in Florida went with a trusted physical therapist for one day a week and 2 days a week for someone who provides pedestrian care. This compromise works for him and his primary care provider.

Good luck on your trip to California, with a little resilience you will be able to see your son before he passes on.
  • Options
    kyfdx said:

We have a standard GE microwave that was installed into a cabinet above the oven. Now, 23 years old. Not a single repair or hiccup.

Oh oh, famous last words....that should jinx it!