Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• Options
    stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,557
    When I drive I like to do it in one day. I just don't like having to make a hotel stop in the middle. Not sure what my tolerance is now for one day. I would guess maybe 10 hours? 12 would really be pushing it.

My wife will drive if I ask her to, but that makes me more nervous than just driving, so I only do that if I am worried about staying awake. But considering she can fall asleep any place, any time, that would keep me wide awake!

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• Options
    qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,948
    edited December 2021

I don’t have a problem with driving. Makes a lot of sense with a family as opposed to flying. And, heck, now with the cost of rentals being what they are, you can save a bundle bringing your own vehicle. But, ya know, then you might blow a radiator on the way home. Whoops.

We all still talk about our 2 weeks driving all over the western US as our best trip to date. So there is something to be said for showing the kids the sights across 4 states in relatively slow motion.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• Options
    corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,267

I want to get to the Auburn/Cord/Duesenberg museum.

That's also on my list. Possibly on the same trip. I'm thinking it would be a fairly short road trip from here to do those and also stop in Chicago, which is my favorite large city.
  • Options
    roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,362

@mjfloyd1 said:

@roadburner said:

@mjfloyd1 said:
    That 4 series seems pretty pricy for a 2018 with 47K miles but at least it is CPO

It has most every option including the Track Handling Package which you rarely see on a GC.

Wonder why they didn’t get a manual with all those packages?

A manual was not an option on the GC.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• Options
    nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,434

@au1994 said:
    @nyccarguy what ever happened with the 4xe? Was it damaged in transit? Sorry, I don’t follow the other thread if it was posted there.

No worries. I stopped following the other thread a long time ago. I actually just got an update from my broker this evening. So there were approximately 5 vehicles that were damaged while in the holding lot. Mine was one of them. The damage it sustained wasn’t that bad, but bad enough that it needs to be fixed. “Bumpers & part of the body”. “No other details were provided beyond that.” It will be repaired and is considered “factory damage.” And won’t show up on the carfax. He’s hoping I can take delivery (if I still want it) sometime in January.

He suggested I take this one, order a ‘22, & then flip the ‘21 when the ‘22 comes in.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• Options
    oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,671
    nyccarguy said:

@au1994 said:
    @nyccarguy what ever happened with the 4xe? Was it damaged in transit? Sorry, I don’t follow the other thread if it was posted there.

No worries. I stopped following the other thread a long time ago. I actually just got an update from my broker this evening. So there were approximately 5 vehicles that were damaged while in the holding lot. Mine was one of them. The damage it sustained wasn’t that bad, but bad enough that it needs to be fixed. “Bumpers & part of the body”. “No other details were provided beyond that.” It will be repaired and is considered “factory damage.” And won’t show up on the carfax. He’s hoping I can take delivery (if I still want it) sometime in January.

He suggested I take this one, order a ‘22, & then flip the ‘21 when the ‘22 comes in.

What did I miss? How did it get damaged?

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• Options
    fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,169

That’s interesting. We’re the hidden headlights and 2.0L motor dealer installed or someone’s custom touch?
    Headlights were 87-89 IIRC, I am sure the engine is stock too.
  • Options
    I loved chicago. was supposed to go with the wife and some friends last year. Obviously never happened.

• Options
    My understanding is cars get damaged in transit all the time. just they get fixed before you ever hear about it.

• Options
    The Tundra I leased got damaged as they were taking it out to be detailed. They switched me into a slightly better equipped one for the same price. Thankfully, my insurance agent was still open to give them an updated proof of insurance (they were extremely picky about that), otherwise, I would have probably have had to hang around the Philadelphia area over the weekend and take an additional day or two off work.
  • Options

@oldfarmer50 said:
    What did I miss? How did it get damaged?

Don’t know exactly how the damage happened. Obviously something considering 5 vehicles in total were damaged in some form or another. X

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• Options
    somebody came and cut the cats off?

I remember when we got our Odyssey, the new style had just come out and they were still pretty rare. Our local dealer I was getting it from got ours in and we happened to be there the day it arrived. It had some big scratches on the front fender or door. Definitely noticeable, but it had not been prepped yet. By the time we picked it up a couple of days later, I couldn't even tell where they were, and if I had not happened to see it before it was done, never would have known (since it was nothing they had to disclose).

• Options
    edited December 2021
    just browsing local place. Used prices are just still nuts (I assume people are paying these prices?).

this one looks nice enough. Low miles. But, 2 full years in service (which on a Hyundai means 3 years BtoB warranty left, no powertrain 6-10 any longer). Listed at $27,995. Carfax includes original sticker showing MSRP in 2019 was $26,405. And this was not a car that sold at, or close to, sticker. If the market finally opens up next year some people are going to see some steep ST depreciation.

even odder, you can probably get a brand new one for $1,500 over MSRP. or close to that.

https://www.autolenders.com/used-car-inventory/Hyundai-Sonata-KH811209

• Options
    this one is even worse. Almost new, but this car, even adding on some accessories, still stickers at just a tick under $30K.

short miles, and only lose 6 months warranty, but still $5K over sticker. I know dealer supply is short, but are they selling for that much new at this point?

https://www.autolenders.com/used-car-inventory/Subaru-Crosstrek-MH326719

Man, getting any Maverick for $1,800 below sticker, no add-ons, seems like a no brainer, whether I want it or not. Can use it to drive around to other dealers seeing if I find something else to get instead, and trade it in for more than I paid for it!

• Options

@stickguy - exactly. My neighbor who bought a used 2020 Camry SE for $25k found a sales order in the glove compartment. The previous owner bought it from Enterprise for $19k about a year ago.

• Options
    corvette said:

@stickguy - exactly. My neighbor who bought a used 2020 Camry SE for $25k found a sales order in the glove compartment. The previous owner bought it from Enterprise for $19k about a year ago.

He’s lucky it was still on the car lot. Enterprise has been buying every used car they can find lately for full asking price. They bought 200k cars from Hertz in 2020 and promptly sold them off for a big profit. Now, we’re buying used cars back from the same dealers.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• Options
    I forgot to check year or ask my daughter how many miles on her rental (From Budget) Camry SE. But she did say the "service due" light is on. Budget does not seem all that interested in it.

• Options
    coldinohiocoldinohio Member Posts: 170
    ACD museum is really nice but some nice cars-- a lot more cars in back when I went in 2014; not too big; nice Art Deco building

Studebaker Museum is pretty good, They have a vehicle display rotation, so it changes depending on when you visit.
    I want to get to the Auburn/Cord/Duesenberg museum. Should be easier after we move to Ohio.

• Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,185
    corvette said:

kyfdx said:

Porsche interiors: Whatever color the seats are, is carried through on carpets and dash. While tan, red, etc, look great on the seats, not so much when it's on everything. It doesn't wear well, especially on the carpets (pink, eventually on red interiors).

I thought they used to be more flexible, especially on custom orders. "Want only the speedometer gauge lined in leather? Sure, that will be $495."
    Possibly, but I never see Caymans that way. Almost everyone has the monochromatic interior, including carpets and dash.

But, it's entertaining to "build" a Porsche on the website. Pretty easy to add $30K of options on a $65K base vehicle.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    corvette said:

kyfdx said:

We drove to South Bend in early October.

Did you stop at the Studebaker Museum there? That's on my list.
    Nope. We went up for a football game. No time for that, unfortunately. :(

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    stickguy said:

When I drive I like to do it in one day. I just don't like having to make a hotel stop in the middle. Not sure what my tolerance is now for one day. I would guess maybe 10 hours? 12 would really be pushing it.

My wife will drive if I ask her to, but that makes me more nervous than just driving, so I only do that if I am worried about staying awake. But considering she can fall asleep any place, any time, that would keep me wide awake!

We made a nearly annual trip to Hilton Head, each summer, when we had a child at home. That's just over 600 miles and about 10 hours. (depending on time of day and stops). That is definitely my wife's limit. Even then, she would rather leave the night before, and stay somewhere, part of the way down. I always wanted to drive straight through.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    I have not watched this yet, but RB might find it interesting, considering the options he is looking at.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IUU1yfK0A8Y

• Options
    mjfloyd1mjfloyd1 Member Posts: 3,279
    edited December 2021

@roadburner said:

@mjfloyd1 said:

@roadburner said:

@mjfloyd1 said:
    That 4 series seems pretty pricy for a 2018 with 47K miles but at least it is CPO

It has most every option including the Track Handling Package which you rarely see on a GC.

That would certainly explain it then🤣

I’d hold out for a ///M2 comp

I just watched the m240 x drive vs M2 non comp, hmmmm, maybe I’m wrong

• Options
    rayainswrayainsw Member Posts: 3,192
    My now annual drive to Maine - for the summer season
    is 2 consecutive days of about 600 miles.
    Around 11 hours each day.
    - Ray
    Thanks to my brother for an overnight stop in the middle!
    2022 X3 M40i
  • Options
    rayainsw said:

My now annual drive to Maine - for the summer season
    is 2 consecutive days of about 600 miles.
    Around 11 hours each day.
    - Ray
    Thanks to my brother for an overnight stop in the middle!

Naturally, we were out for our last day in ME, before I remembered your offer to meet up. Sorry, I missed that. :(

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    rayainswrayainsw Member Posts: 3,192
    "your offer to meet up. Sorry"
    Next year.
    Cheers,
    - Ray
    Planning to be there every year...
    2022 X3 M40i
  • Options
    jmonroe1jmonroe1 Member Posts: 7,563

@explorerx4 said:
    @corvette,
    Last time we were in Chicago, we went to a wedding here.

Who’s bright idea was it to have a wedding outdoors when you need a top coat?

jmonroe

'15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
  • Options
    explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,320
    edited December 2021
    @jmonroe,
    The ceremony was outside but the reception was indoors.
    We couldn't hear much of the ceremony because a helicopter kept flying by. :@
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • Options

@explorerx4 said:
    @jmonroe,

Why do a wedding half way? That’s almost like being half pregnant. I’m a firm believer in doing things all the way or not at all.

jmonroe

'15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
  • Options
    roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,362
    mjfloyd1 said:

@roadburner said:

@mjfloyd1 said:

@roadburner said:

@mjfloyd1 said:

That would certainly explain it then🤣

I’d hold out for a ///M2 comp

I just watched the m240 x drive vs M2 non comp, hmmmm, maybe I’m wrong

The 2016-2018 M2 is just too close to my M235i in appearance and performance- so I'd probably lean towards a RWD G42 M240i. But I could be easily talked into a 2018 M2 stick over an xDrive G42.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• Options
    tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,926

People really are crazy right now.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• Options
    That's nuts. Granted, the Escalade Platinum or whatever the highest trim level is has an MSRP north of 100k, if memory serves. Is that a CarMax auction, or do they just use the same colors?
  • Options

• Options

@tjc78 said:
    People really are crazy right now.

Talk about crazy, Son #1’s 2016 Kia van is acting up with 110,000 miles on it and he’s not sure if Kia will do any “good will fix” on it so he went to test drive a new Telluride today at a local Kia dealer even though they didn’t have exactly what he wanted. The dealer will sell at MSRP but ONLY if you have a good trade-in otherwise you won’t get MSRP. If you’re doing a cash deal they’ll have to come up with an ADM on it based on market conditions. He didn’t even ask about what that would be because he flat out won’t pay it. Just yesterday he talk to a Kia dealer in the Philly area who had exactly what he wanted color and all. That guy had an 18 grand ADM on it. To me that’s more than crazy but maybe not today.

jmonroe

• Options
    sdasda Member Posts: 6,986
    Has it been determined what is wrong with your son’s van? It may be prudent to fix it rather than getting painted into a corner by paying an outrageous amount for another vehicle.

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

• Options
    cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,506
    Too much money chasing too few things. Imagine.
    '08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester
  • Options
    mechanics must be even more backed up than normal, with even more people doing that. Though in the long run, probably good for a lot of people that should be more prudent and keep cars longer.

• Options

@sda said:
    Has it been determined what is wrong with your son’s van? It may be prudent to fix it rather than getting painted into a corner by paying an outrageous amount for another vehicle.

It’s the engine and his mechanic doesn’t think it’s worth fixing. That’s why he’s going to see if Kia will do any “good will” repair or some part of it but he’s not holding out much hope of that happening.

Until this happened, other than a bad motor for the right side sliding door the van has been perfect.

jmonroe

• Options

@jmonroe,
    We couldn't hear much of the ceremony because a helicopter kept flying by. :@

What were you up to that deserved surveillance by the government?

• Options
    explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,320
    At one point, a drone was flying overhead, although it was getting dark.
    I happened to notice it and pointed out to some other people who turned to look at it.
    It then took off out of sight.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • Options
    jmonroe1 said:

It’s the engine and his mechanic doesn’t think it’s worth fixing.

The mechanic's idea of used/new car values may be stuck in 2020. What's the cost of a junkyard engine installed?
  • Options
    jmonroe1 said:

@sda said:

It’s the engine and his mechanic doesn’t think it’s worth fixing. That’s why he’s going to see if Kia will do any “good will” repair or some part of it but he’s not holding out much hope of that happening.

Until this happened, other than a bad motor for the right side sliding door the van has been perfect.

jmonroe

I bet he’s got a bad rod bearing.

Kia engines have had problems with bad rod bearings. That’s why I got a recall, excuse me, a product improvement notice to get an improved anti-knock sensor update installed. They’ll extend the engine warranty to 150,000 miles if I do it.

If that turns out to be the problem I’ve seen YouTube videos where those seem to be replaceable without removing the engine. A 2016, particularly in this market, would seem to be worth the effort.

• Options
    ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,095
    jmonroe1 said:

@sda said:

I’m unsure why a company that has had chronic engine failure issues yet is denying your son a “goodwill” repair is deserving of repeat business.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• Options

@corvette said:
    The mechanic's idea of used/new car values may be stuck in 2020. What's the cost of a junkyard engine installed?

His mechanic has a pretty good idea of what things cost today so I’ll have to give him credit for knowing cars.

As for a junk yard engine, I asked him about that and he doesn’t want to do it even though the van is in pretty good shape. Just doesn’t want to take the chance of doing that.

His new plan is to get a 5 or 6 year old car and go with that because he has a pick-up now to do any hauling. Then in February 2023 when his youngest son will be driving, give that car to him. Hopefully by then things will be more normal and he’ll buy a Telluride or similar at that time. He even said he’s going to look at the Genesis crossover thingy.

He just borrowed his mother’s Subie and will be using that until he sorts this out. We don’t really need it so there won’t be any problem doing that. I just hope he doesn’t want to buy it since his mother has said a couple times lately, “we don’t really need 2 cars anymore. It wouldn’t bother me if we just sold it”. NO, that ain’t gonna happen because as soon as we do that I just know I’ll be sorry.

jmonroe

• Options

@ab348 said:
    I’m unsure why a company that has had chronic engine failure issues yet is denying your son a “goodwill” repair is deserving of repeat business.

I said the same thing to him. They haven’t denied anything yet but both he and I are betting they will.

jmonroe

• Options
    Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,971
    Hoping to drive to Chicago to see the kids & their new house sometime in 2022. Wife won't fly but I get it, I refused for almost 20 years after a bad return flight to Ft. Lauderdale from San Francisco. Had to fly back in 2004 to take our kid to prep school in New England and have done it a couple times since, but would rather drive.
    Lucky if I drive 50 miles a week now as my one part time job is so close to the house. Am considering leasing next time around but not to sure when that will be due to the ridiculous admin fees I'm seeing on certain vehicles! Saw a Mini Cooper with a $15K fee during the week which knocked my socks off!!

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

• Options
    they can ask anything they want. who knows what they will actually get.

• Options
    mjfloyd1mjfloyd1 Member Posts: 3,279
    edited December 2021

ADM is Additional Dealer Markup not admin fee. Same end result though

• Options
    Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,971
    Whatever, it's still a fee I'll never pay because I don't need to do anything right now. Driving as little as I do now, would probably just keep the VW for another 4 or so years and still be under 80K. Same for the wife's Audi. Working for Enterprise, I get a pretty decent price to rent so if need a vehicle to make a long trip, will go that route. Just can't see throwing $ away like that!

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)