Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Edmunds Members - Cars and Conversations

Comments

• andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,729
    driver100 said:

stickguy said:

well, if you want to monitor what a perfect low mile 2015 B8 S4 can go for, here's the one to watch. Love this color combo and option load.

https://carsandbids.com/auctions/rjZD8B6p/2015-audi-s4

It's at $30k this a.m......I think I was close since this one only has 34000 miles.
    What a predicament, a new engine, a rebuilt engine, wait for an accident like a transplant, drop in a Jetta engine and hope no one notices........what a dilemma!
    That's a good S4. Normally just what I'd want, but now I'd rather buy a high mile S4 of the same vintage. It's pretty much what I bought 13 months ago; except mine's red and better (prestige package/Nappa Leather).

You might see mine go up on Cars and Bids in about another year and 12-15K miles.

Car will have 55K miles, but engine only 12 to 15K :)
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
    It always amazes me when people defending the use of a slush box torque converting automatic in Audi's sportier models mention the boats, RS6 and RS7 as the crux of their argument that somehow it's better than a DSG because Audi is "using it" in those models, while conveniently leaving out the TTRS and R8 use DSG.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
  • snakeweaselsnakeweasel Member Posts: 19,324
    andres3 said:

It always amazes me when people defending the use of a slush box torque converting automatic in Audi's sportier models mention the boats, RS6 and RS7 as the crux of their argument that somehow it's better than a DSG because Audi is "using it" in those models, while conveniently leaving out the TTRS and R8 use DSG.

I would say that 99.99% of the people wouldn't notice one way or the other.

2011 Hyundai Sonata, 2014 BMW 428i convertible, 2015 Honda CTX700D

• explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,293
    People like to steal Hyundai's and Kia's in Milwaukee, thousands so far this year.
    City thinking of suing H/K.
    https://www.msn.com/en-us/autos/enthusiasts/why-milwaukee-might-sue-hyundai-kia-over-stolen-car-epidemic/ar-AARGU18?ocid=hponeservicefeed
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • jipsterjipster Member Posts: 6,244

Breaking into the rear window doesn't activate the cars alarm. Hyundai/Kia to make that a $500 option. 😆

2020 Honda Accord EX-L, 2011 Hyundai Veracruz, 2010 Mercury Milan Premiere, 2007 Kia Optima
  • mjfloyd1mjfloyd1 Member Posts: 3,265

@andres3 said:

The DSG apparently could not handle the torque of the twin turbo V8 so they used the ZF 8 speed AT that could handle the torque

@andres3 said:
    That's a good S4. Normally just what I'd want, but now I'd rather buy a high mile S4 of the same vintage. It's pretty much what I bought 13 months ago; except mine's red and better (prestige package/Nappa Leather).

You might see mine go up on Cars and Bids in about another year and 12-15K miles.

Is a new motor seen as a good or bad selling point with low-ish miles?

• ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,073
    jipster said:

Breaking into the rear window doesn't activate the cars alarm. Hyundai/Kia to make that a $500 option. 😆

That sounds more like a Tesla move.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

People like to steal Hyundai's and Kia's in Milwaukee, thousands so far this year.
    https://www.msn.com/en-us/autos/enthusiasts/why-milwaukee-might-sue-hyundai-kia-over-stolen-car-epidemic/ar-AARGU18?ocid=hponeservicefeed

Wait, they don't prosecute 98% of the suspects so it's Hyundai's fault?

• driver100driver100 Member Posts: 31,975

They could stop the teens from stealing Hyundais and KIAs by selling only models with manual transmissions.

2017 MB E400 , 2015 MB GLK350, 2014 MB C250

• imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,146
    So, let me get this straight, are Kia and Hyundai the only vehicles which can be entered
    through a broken rear window without setting off an alarm?

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

andres3 said:

For S and RS model buyers that percentage is at least halved.
    mjfloyd1 said:

@andres3 said:

The DSG apparently could not handle the torque of the twin turbo V8 so they used the ZF 8 speed AT that could handle the torque

But it can handle the R8's 5.2 V10?
    edited December 2021

@andres3 said:

5.2 V10 450 hp and 406-413 ft lb torque (DSG rated for up to 450 ft lb torque)

4.0 TTV8. 591 hp and 590 ft lb torque (ZF rated for up to 660 ft lb torque)

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,568
    mjfloyd1 said:

@andres3 said:

Is a new motor seen as a good or bad selling point with low-ish miles?

Anything with an engine replacement is suspect, when I'm shopping. Regardless.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

edited December 2021

@kyfdx said:

Agreed. That was a tongue in cheek question

• oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,637
    andres3 said:

jmonroe1 said:

@andres3 said:

With all the smart extras while were in there it's coming out to about $19,500.

OUCH. Is it really worth doing that at a non-Audi dealer? If there is the least bit of a hiccup you’re doomed.

jmonroe

If this wasn't one of the best, if not very best regarded shops in all of Southern CA, I'd be hesitant, but I have more confidence in my shop than the hacks in the dealership. ESPECIALLY if the management at the dealership is "cracking the whip" to speed up production over quality.

It's certainly a big bill and near the cusp of the fence of making financial sense. If it wasn't for the hot used market that might not be so. Also, I like the car, and that helps. If I hated the car, the equation might favor letting someone else take on the project.

The car was tip top for 11 months. If this is just a one-time aberration, it's not the end of the world. If things start failing like dominoes, it'll be a quick sale.

I think a lot of repairs that would not be feasible because of costs are now viable because of the inflated used market.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

andres3 said:

andres3 said:

I'm pretty sure that if you could get two of the exact same car but one with the DSG and one with the automatic and have them mapped to the same shift points I would say that 99.99% of drivers wouldn't be able to tell which transmission they had.

mjfloyd1 said:

@kyfdx said:

Agreed. That was a tongue in cheek question

This is where my shop's stellar reputation may have value in the "local" market. Large value. I'd be less "suspicious" if this was the shop that had done the engine replacement or had the service records for maintenances vs. say Billy Bob's ABC Repair Company XYZ.
    edited December 2021
    mjfloyd1 said:

@andres3 said:

5.2 V10 450 hp and 406-413 ft lb torque (DSG rated for up to 450 ft lb torque)

4.0 TTV8. 591 hp and 590 ft lb torque (ZF rated for up to 660 ft lb torque)

You are way off on your HP number for the R8; though the torque is about right.

Base engine size 5.2 Liters
    Base engine type V-10
    Horsepower 532 Hp
    Horsepower rpm 7,800

I believe some are up at 550-560 HP with the upgrade packages OEM.

The 450 HP figure is the 4.2 R8.

Didn't realize the "new" 4.0TT's were up that high on the torque curve!!!! That's the latest model figures.
    edited December 2021

andres3 said:

andres3 said:

I'm pretty sure that if you could get two of the exact same car but one with the DSG and one with the automatic and have them mapped to the same shift points I would say that 99.99% of drivers wouldn't be able to tell which transmission they had.
    I doubt it. I've driven things back to back that get as close as you can get to that in reality:
    1. B9 S4 vs. B8.5 S4 (granted, other variables like engine, boost turbo vs. supercharged) and shift points I'm sure are mapped differently if for no other reason than the DSG being 7 gears vs. the ZF's 8.

2. B8.5 A4 vs. B8.5 S4 (now this limits the differences to gears and shift points and 1L of engine (and 2 cylinders).
    To counteract that 2.0 vs. 3.0 variable, I'd driven cars with the 2.0 engine with DSG to compare to the A4, and same story.

The point is, these cars drive night and day different.
  • dad23dad23 Member Posts: 868
    Hey @nyccarguy, or others with Pilots, have you had any problems with the door actuators going out? We bought our '13 used and have had to replace three of them since we've had it. Luckily, the extended warranty covered them at nearly $800 a pop, but now that the warranty expired, we have another one that doesn't seem to be working. I'm thinking of looking for an aftermarket brand and having the boys try and swap it out. I joked about it being time to trade it, crickets...
    edited December 2021

@andres3 said:
    You are way off on your HP number for the R8; though the torque is about right.

Base engine size 5.2 Liters
    Base engine type V-10
    Horsepower 532 Hp
    Horsepower rpm 7,800

I believe some are up at 550-560 HP with the upgrade packages OEM.

The 450 HP figure is the 4.2 R8.

Didn't realize the "new" 4.0TT's were up that high on the torque curve!!!! That's the latest model figures.

It is the torque that the DSG can’t handle. That is the entire point. All years of RS7 have had more than 450 ft lb of torque, so all years of RS7 have the ZF 8 speed AT.

I suspect they don’t want to be paying for replacement of transmissions. :)

• sdasda Member Posts: 6,963
    dad23 said:

Hey @nyccarguy, or others with Pilots, have you had any problems with the door actuators going out? We bought our '13 used and have had to replace three of them since we've had it. Luckily, the extended warranty covered them at nearly $800 a pop, but now that the warranty expired, we have another one that doesn't seem to be working. I'm thinking of looking for an aftermarket brand and having the boys try and swap it out. I joked about it being time to trade it, crickets...

We had a 2010 Pilot EXL that we traded 2 years ago with 150k. No issues ever with the actuators. It was running perfectly when we traded it. My wife was just getting a bit uneasy as it was getting up in miles and age.

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

dad23 said:

Forgive my ignorance, but what is a door actuator?

• explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,293
    I think it's like VTEC for doors. ;)
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert

VTEC Yo!

• oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,637
    edited December 2021
    I think I just got the same scam text that driver100 was talking about. It says:

WAL shipment tracking: Hi, your package with shipping numberPA386Z12 is waiting for you to check the shipping address: dreadprovide.com/rQuMky7.

Since I have ordered nothing where I would give my cell number as a contact, I’m assuming this is some way of getting you to download malware or give up financial information.

Merry Christmas from the Nigerian prince.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• jmonroe1jmonroe1 Member Posts: 7,533
    ab348 said:

dad23 said:

Google.

jmonroe
    '15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)

I think I just got the same scam text that driver100 was talking about. It says:

WAL shipment tracking: Hi, your package with shipping numberPA386Z12 is waiting for you to check the shipping address: dreadprovide.com/rQuMky7.

Since I have ordered nothing where I would give my cell number as a contact, I’m assuming this is some way of getting you to download malware or give up financial information.

The prince is sharper than that. That was from his peon cousin.

jmonroe
    '15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)

Instead of trying to get me to click on a link that downloads malware onto my computer, I just got this email where someone has money they want to give me to invest in a project I might have!

Hmmmmm. Little do they know about me.

"My sincere and warmest greetings to you. My name is Grayson Leo,
    I'm an investment partner with TD Trust Group. We have investment
    capital available and are interested in investing in any viable
    market with good ROI upon research. We are interested in Real
    Estate Investing, Hospitality, Logistics, IT, transportation,
    medicals, agriculture or any viable project with potential. We
    would be happy to invest into any of the hot topics. We prefer to
    invest as Angel or silent Partners with little or no input into
    the project apart from the finances. Please get back to me if you
    have any project that we can work on together.
    Thank you.
    Grayson Leo"

jmonroe1 said:

ab348 said:

dad23 said:

Google.

jmonroe
    No, I think that is a search engine.

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,489
    I got RDX'd on the dishwasher (that is how I got sucked into going over budget on the 1st RDX, we were looking at a nice, practical CRV and I made the mistake of stopping at Acura to just see the new RDX, and let the wife see it. Bad mistake!)

stopped at the appliance shop with the wife intending to order the value priced Frigidaire. After looking at all the displays the wife got attracted to the fancy upscale models (didn't help that the only FD model was a base level unit, not the one we were going to get). She just thought it seemed kinda cheap (though to be fair, it was!). She just really liked the LG in the end so going with that option. It really is nice, lots of features, very fancy looking. Plus matches our refrigerator. Just need to find out when the guy can get one, but we aren't in any big hurry. It was on sale so a pretty good price.

Only ends up being $200 more than the killer deal model, but seems like a fair price to make the wife happy, and not have to hear her complain about it every day.

As a bonus, the place we are getting it at (local store 5 minute from our house) is the authorized repair place for LG, so if we have any issues, I can call him directly and don't even have to go through LG corporate. he can just take care of anything that needs to be done.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

andres3 said:

andres3 said:

andres3 said:

I doubt it. I've driven things back to back that get as close as you can get to that in reality:
    1. B9 S4 vs. B8.5 S4 (granted, other variables like engine, boost turbo vs. supercharged) and shift points I'm sure are mapped differently if for no other reason than the DSG being 7 gears vs. the ZF's 8.

2. B8.5 A4 vs. B8.5 S4 (now this limits the differences to gears and shift points and 1L of engine (and 2 cylinders).
    To counteract that 2.0 vs. 3.0 variable, I'd driven cars with the 2.0 engine with DSG to compare to the A4, and same story.

The point is, these cars drive night and day different.
    Not exactly an apples to apples comparison there (not that that is practical), plus it wasn't a blind test so we cannot rule out confirmation bias so I will stand by what I said.

I get them occasionally I just delete it and block the number.

jmonroe1 said:

ab348 said:

dad23 said:

Google.

jmonroe
    Come on man, a door actuator isn't Google.

I can't block this email source: it comes from the administration@myoldemail.com

IOW The previous name of my email provider is the supposed source. Of course,
    that administration of the long defunct email name emails me regularly to get me
    to click on something so I can fix my email account which is almost full according
    to the administrator. LOL

This is like spoofed caller ID for phone spam.

I can't block this email source: it comes from the administration@myoldemail.com

IOW The previous name of my email provider is the supposed source. Of course,
    that administration of the long defunct email name emails me regularly to get me
    to click on something so I can fix my email account which is almost full according
    to the administrator. LOL

This is like spoofed caller ID for phone spam.

You would think those guys might look for a real job instead of having to scam people.

I just spent a frustrating evening......my Spectrum internet and phone were "Not Connected" Is that ever aggravating...I finally get an evening to relax and catch up on some Netflix and this happens!
    I turn things off and on, unplug whatever I can find....I was told 10 seconds but do it for 20 seconds.
    Finally I use my cell phone and call Spectrum. I go through the prompts and it says to disconnect the modem for 2 full minutes, and it could take up to 10 minutes to reboot.
    It takes about 5 minutes, but there goes 1 hour of my life :@

@stickguy The deluxe model is well worth the extra $200. For one thing, you have made Mrs Stick very happy. For another, you may not need the top he line model but the base models are usually pretty minimal. You get a much better product for that extra dollars. I think it was a good decision to buy it now before the other one goes completely....and you are locking in the price in case the shortages continue.

Instead of trying to get me to click on a link that downloads malware onto my computer, I just got this email where someone has money they want to give me to invest in a project I might have!

I'm an investment partner with TD Trust Group.
    Grayson Leo"
    Grayson sounds like a nice guy who just wants to help you out. Help you to lose a few $1000!

Email him back and let us know how it goes.

Sorry, door lock 🔐

edited December 2021
    driver100 said:

I'm an investment partner with TD Trust Group.
    Grayson Leo"
    Grayson sounds like a nice guy who just wants to help you out. Help you to lose a few $1000!

He wants to give me money to do things with!
    That's the way it sounds...
    at first.

dad23 said:

Sorry, door lock 🔐

Ah, I see.

$800 apiece seems a lot of $ for that. I assume most of it must be labor to get into the inside of the door and then restore the interior door panels.

Back 20 years ago, I remember replacing one on my Olds Delta 88. It was an easy job. I used parts from a scrapped model in a junkyard.

Yes, labor at the dealer since it was covered! Our youngest is taking an auto shop class and was able to take the Pilot with him yesterday. In class, they partially removed the panel, tested the actuator and showed a big goose egg. The teacher suggested not going to the dealer and him finding a cheaper solution for class credit. So, he has homework this weekend!
    ab348 said:

dad23 said:

Sorry, door lock 🔐

Ah, I see.

$800 apiece seems a lot of $ for that. I assume most of it must be labor to get into the inside of the door and then restore the interior door panels.

Back 20 years ago, I remember replacing one on my Olds Delta 88. It was an easy job. I used parts from a scrapped model in a junkyard.
    You can still do that. Could be the best way to get one that has a good track record of working.

FWIW, I looked at one of the videos about how to replace it. Where would the world be today without You Tube? It’s a little finicky but not 800 bucks worth.

jmonroe
  • bwiabwia Member Posts: 2,913

Condolences go out to the families of the people of Kentucky who perished in the tornadoes. Disaster crews are deployed and more Help is on the way.

• sdasda Member Posts: 6,963
    Thoughts and prayers to those affected by the tornadoes and bad weather. Truly horrific.

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

@andres3 said:

As a fellow Audi owner, can I half jokingly ask if it truly matters which transmission you have when the engine grenades first? :)