Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

What could be the issue on my 2005 dodge Dakota.

johnathonmjohnathonm Member Posts: 1
edited December 2017 in Dodge
Sometimes it shifts on its own. Then when I'm riding 60 it will jerk and the rpms go from 2000 to 2500. It want down shift when I'm coming to a stop. When I take off again it'll take off like it's still in 2nd or 3rd.

Answers

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    You should start with the basics. How's the fluid level? Last time it was changed w/ a new filter?

Also, are you able to read any codes?

Sounds like one of your problems is dropping out of overdrive on its own. I"m wondering if all this is throttle related.

• slippryniplsslipprynipls Member Posts: 1
    I have the same year a 2005 Dodge Dakota with the v6 and it works fine until it heats up then it will downshift into second and the box around the d on the cluster will move to 2 then back to d and it stays in 2 until u turn it off and let it cool it has a new solenoid pack and valve body but it's still acting up only thing I can figure is low voltage cause my battery dies once every 2 months or something wrong with shift sensor or solenoids or speed sensor but it keep pulling same codes when light comes on even after fix.help plz someone.
  • ddaannooddaannoo Member Posts: 1
    Mr Shift is right. check fluid levels first. I have an '03 dakota; 3.9v6. the transmission is VERY sensitive to the throttle valve cable adjustment. This is a cable hooked to the throttle that tells the tranny to up shift ,down shift etc. inproper adjustment will cause hard shifts into overdrive; lack of shifting when you floor; just poor shifting all around. I dont know about an '05 but my '03 is easily adjusted to the right parameters.A bad cable(stretched, binding) can give the same result. Adjust or have the cable adjusted. take a highspeed test run. If that dont fix it then you may need a pro. I suggest buying a good repair manual because it explains this stuff better than i can
  • Arn1Arn1 Member Posts: 2
    Nonono I have the same thing it’s stuck in limp mode. I,m not sure but I think or hope it’s the Pam cause that’s the last thing I,m gonna change before I get rid of it!
  • Arn1Arn1 Member Posts: 2
    Sorry not Pam I meant to type PCM!
  • SAWYER_____2021SAWYER_____2021 Member Posts: 2
    i HAVE A 2005 4.7 4WD automatic. Since I purchased it the "SERVICE 4WD LIGHT" STAYS ON AND THE SWITCH TO MOVE FROM 2WD TO 4WD DOES NOTHING. THE LITTLE LIGHTON THE SWITCH DOES NOT COME ON. ANY IDEAS?
  • SAWYER_____2021SAWYER_____2021 Member Posts: 2
    i HAVE A 2005 4.7 4WD automatic. Since I purchased it the "SERVICE 4WD LIGHT" STAYS ON AND THE SWITCH TO MOVE FROM 2WD TO 4WD DOES NOTHING. THE LITTLE LIGHTON THE SWITCH DOES NOT COME ON. ANY IDEAS?