Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,513
    yeah, it did not seem, considering how loud the engine was, that you needed a totally silent pump for that. Just one that was a lot quieter!

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,304
    I re watched when they were underneath the car and it did have Hemi car rear torque boxes.
    Are they the original to the car? I don't know.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,262
    stickguy said:

yeah, it did not seem, considering how loud the engine was, that you needed a totally silent pump for that. Just one that was a lot quieter!

Anyone ever watch Twin Peaks? Reminds me of how Nadine Hurley invented a silent drape runner.
  • mjfloyd1mjfloyd1 Member Posts: 3,271
    edited December 2021

@28firefighter said:
    Lmk - that'd be a really interesting and bizarre fix...

Seems to have worked. It was stuck on oil and fuel refresh for two weeks. I reset oil minder and charged it up. Used on full electric for 25 miles right afterwards (hybrid mode)

that base model RSX sold for 15.5. Pricey for one of those!

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/2003-acura-rsx-4/

• xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,788
    mjfloyd1 said:

@28firefighter said:

Lmk - that'd be a really interesting and bizarre fix...

Seems to have worked. It was stuck on oil and fuel refresh for two weeks. I reset oil minder and charged it up. Used on full electric for 25 miles right afterwards (hybrid mode)

Makes me think of those old PSAs from the 1980's... "The more you know....."
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
    mjfloyd1 said:

But now, when do you change the oil? :D I can't remember whether Jeep includes free maintenance or not. Also, the early CDJR oil monitors would determine rather early on either a 4,000 mile OCI or an 8,000 mile one for a given interval, nothing in between. I'm sure they've evolved since then.

Got a "maintenance required soon" on the Tundra, so it's due for its complimentary 20k service, but unfortunately, I'm 1,000+ miles away from home. It's also almost at the "add oil" mark, so I will probably pick up some top-up oil at Autozone as well as four quarts to change the oil on the Prius when the time comes for that.

Jeep wave includes one prepaid oil change and tire rotation per year for three years. They don’t care when you do it.

• oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,646
    stickguy said:

people do what they feel comfortable with, and safe doing. Where the cost/benefit ratio makes it an easy call.

People spend $1,000/year to have their lawn mowed, $5,000+ to have the house painted inside, and $100s to have their taxes done. No real person should pay to have any of these things done without feeling ashamed, right?

I do all those things myself but I still let The Guy do my brakes.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

jmonroe1 said:

@cdnpinhead said:

I once changed the front pads on a minivan (this was ~15 years ago) in the parking lot of a time share near Winter Park, CO. Got the pads at the local CarQuest in Granby, and all was well -- took maybe 45 minutes and the car's jack.

WMMV. I now know better than to say much more.

Yeah, save your breath. This place seems to have a bunch of wousses yet they call themselves car guys. B)

jmonroe

Some others wet their pants at the thought of having to change a fuse- or so I've heard...

Sometimes it’s a lack of proper equipment. The car my son is babysitting has a bad TCM and from the looks of it, is a simple mechanical swap out but then it has to be programmed to relearn shift points. I won’t buy a $5k computer to reprogram a $250 part. In fact my indie mechanic won’t either, it has to go to a transmission shop or the dealer which is what I suspect the manufacturers had in mind all along. A lot of repairs today can’t be done in your driveway any more.

It was kind of fun tracing down and diagnosing the problem though.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

stickguy said:

That’s an unusually well kept low mile example but it does reflect the crazy market we are in. I wonder what it will be worth in a year or so when the chip shortage is over.

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,760
    stickguy said:

Not even an RSX-S. Shewww

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

Educate me here.

Yesterday we were moving some 2022 Ram pickups. All had the 5.7 hemi but the one I got was an “etorque” model. We popped the hood and saw a silver box-like structure sitting on top of the motor connected to the belt/pulley system.

From what I could research this is some sort of electric boost mechanism but for the life of me I can’t figure how it’s supposed to work. From what info I could find it doesn’t increase power that much.

The truck seemed very zippy but I’d have to drive a regular 5.7L to compare.

What exactly is this thing and how does it deliver power to the motor?

Educate me here.

Yesterday we were moving some 2022 Ram pickups. All had the 5.7 hemi but the one I got was an “etorque” model. We popped the hood and saw a silver box-like structure sitting on top of the motor connected to the belt/pulley system.

From what I could research this is some sort of electric boost mechanism but for the life of me I can’t figure how it’s supposed to work. From what info I could find it doesn’t increase power that much.

It's a mild hybrid. Replaces the alternator with some sort of battery.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,304
    Nicest thing I've heard about E Torque is that it smooths out some shifts.
    Doesn't improve fuel mileage or acceleration.
    It used to be extra cost on a Ram, but now they throw it in for free.
    Mild hybrids just don't seem to have caught on.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • sdasda Member Posts: 6,977

If it doesn't improve mpg, or acceleration, it sounds like a needless complicated addition that is begging to go wrong and turn into an expensive repair.

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

• jmonroe1jmonroe1 Member Posts: 7,542

@sda said:
    If it doesn't improve mpg, or acceleration, it sounds like a needless complicated addition that is begging to go wrong and turn into an expensive repair.

Like the new Chrysler company needs another thingy to make them more undesirable.

jmonroe

'15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
    sda said:

According to the stats, it does indeed improve mileage. Not sure what real world says.

Also, it's available on both V-6 and V-8, I think.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,729
    tjc78 said:

@roadburner said:

@stickguy said:

Not sure who the fuse comment was directed to. Though on some modern cars even that isn’t simple, with multiple boxes and some pretty well hidden! Unfortunately, working on cars just isn’t as simple as back in the 60s.

I just watched an FCP euro video on doing rear pads on a Volvo. Requires special tricks to even get the caliper off because of the electronic parking brake. Dealers use a scan tool.

That was aimed at the people who claim to be enthusiasts yet in reality only enjoy wearing their car as opposed to driving it. I know one guy in particular who primarily focuses on the nameplate; the car could have the driving dynamics of a diesel Chevette, but if it has the right emblem that nitwit would be as happy as a pig in mud.

I can see your point. For example, like you and Graphicguy I’m a huge home theater nut. I wouldn’t dream of having anyone setup my system. I even did my first front projection system last year. It was a great learning experience, building/stretching the 120” screen was fun.

That's how I feel about Audi owners that put their Audi's into hibernation when the snow starts falling. That's when the driving gloves should come out!!!!
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
  • 28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,385
    @mjfloyd1 - I tried resetting the oil life. It went into hybrid mode for one driving cycle and then the fuel/oil refresh mode came back. I guess it should go into the Jeep dealer, but I'm slightly afraid of them making it worse, not better.
    2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible, 2015 Audi Q5 TDI
  • fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,139
    I've had no qualms about taking the wagon out in the recent snow too. 4Matic is made for that, and I didn't spend money on the snow tire/wheel setup for nothing. These are modern cars, not precious antiques.

Regarding other work, I haven't even thought of doing an oil change since I was a student. I detail my own cars and will do small troubleshooting, replacing a relay, etc, but big jobs, no thanks. I lack the tools and have risk aversion.

Same regarding work on the house. I was more than happy to pay someone to do interior paint and the needed flooring replacement than do it myself in what would end up being a sanity-erasing endless project. I have a fulltime job, modest knowledge of such work, and not a ton of tools. I'll probably end up doing yardwork myself anyway.
    andres3 said:

tjc78 said:

@roadburner said:

@stickguy said:

Not sure who the fuse comment was directed to. Though on some modern cars even that isn’t simple, with multiple boxes and some pretty well hidden! Unfortunately, working on cars just isn’t as simple as back in the 60s.

I just watched an FCP euro video on doing rear pads on a Volvo. Requires special tricks to even get the caliper off because of the electronic parking brake. Dealers use a scan tool.

That was aimed at the people who claim to be enthusiasts yet in reality only enjoy wearing their car as opposed to driving it. I know one guy in particular who primarily focuses on the nameplate; the car could have the driving dynamics of a diesel Chevette, but if it has the right emblem that nitwit would be as happy as a pig in mud.

I can see your point. For example, like you and Graphicguy I’m a huge home theater nut. I wouldn’t dream of having anyone setup my system. I even did my first front projection system last year. It was a great learning experience, building/stretching the 120” screen was fun.

That's how I feel about Audi owners that put their Audi's into hibernation when the snow starts falling. That's when the driving gloves should come out!!!!

edited December 2021

@28firefighter said:
    @mjfloyd1 - I tried resetting the oil life. It went into hybrid mode for one driving cycle and then the fuel/oil refresh mode came back. I guess it should go into the Jeep dealer, but I'm slightly afraid of them making it worse, not better.

I am recharging it now while I’m at work - new hospital (nice facility but everything is new…). I’ll try it later and see what happens.

I drive mine a lot -3900 miles. Hers only has 1100 miles and very little where the engine is at operating temp for 30 minutes- I think that is the real issue with hers.

Also, I did drive hers on gas for 30 minutes after the battery was consumed. Other sources said to put at least 4 gallons of gas in it and drive for 30 minutes…. Internet sources so they must be true🤣

I would not ding an audiophile for not wanting to fish wires on walls or do electrical connection work.

kyfdx said:

Educate me here.

It's a mild hybrid. Replaces the alternator with some sort of battery.
    I figured as much but how does it apply the power to the drive train? A hybrid has to have some sort of electric motor drive does it not?

• au1994au1994 Member Posts: 3,380

Well certainly let us know how this goes. We had overnight lows in the 20’s at the lake at Thanksgiving and days that didn’t get much over 50 but I don’t remember a problem. Been fairly mild since then and mine lives in the garage. When I get out its usually not till lunch so even if it was a cold night, it’s warmed some.

70 today and freedom panels out. Gotta love Christmas in Georgia. :smile:

2021 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4xe Granite Crystal over Saddle
    2024 Audi Q5 Premium Plus Daytona Gray over Beige
    2017 BMW X1 Jet Black over Mocha

• xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,788
    I dunno, Q. That kid is going to be trouble one of these days....
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
    I like him.

But just wait until he is spending his own money.

• ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,081
    Was out just now getting provisions and in the lot a 10 year old Mustang fastback pulls in, aftermarket grille and wheels. I saw the Boss 302 stripes on the fenders but when it got close saw that they read "Boss 227". At least the guy has a sense of humor.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

@oldfarmer50

From 2020:

The eTorque option is a mild hybrid system that replaces the traditional alternator with a 48-volt battery-powered, belt-drive motor generator that improves performance and efficiency, as well as bolstering towing and payload capacities. It is an available option on the 5.7-liter HEMI V8 and is a standard on the 3.6-liter Pentastar V6. If you’re planning on doing a lot of towing, the 5.7-liter HEMI with eTorque gives the 2020 RAM 1500 the highest towing capacity, clocking in a 12,750 lbs.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

@andres3 said:

Just what is it you know about driving in the snow given you’re a San Diego kid. B)

jmonroe

'15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
  • MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 240,997
    jmonroe1 said:

@andres3 said:

Just what is it you know about driving in the snow given you’re a San Diego kid. B)

jmonroe

Why does everyone believe that folks who live in SoCal know nothing about driving in the snow?

There are some mountains around SD that are high enough to get some flakes, maybe once or twice a year. An hour or two north and you have Big Bear and Lake Arrowhead, which have small ski resorts.

Heck, the town I grew up in, just a few miles from the ocean, had measurable snowfall - in 1949.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

edited December 2021
    My sister just texted me. Look what is following her home. 2017 RX350. Fully loaded, ivory interior. Looks nice.

• MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 240,997
    sda said:

My sister just texted me. Look what is following her home. 2017 RX350. Fully loaded, ivory interior. Looks nice.

Love the color combo! Congrats to your sister.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

@stickguy said:
    I like him.

But just wait until he is spending his own money.

He sounds pretty savvy to me. I doubt he’ll let go of the sap he has now for quite some time.

jmonroe

Nice. My wife would love that color combo.

@Michaell said:
    Why does everyone believe that folks who live in SoCal know nothing about driving in the snow?

There are some mountains around SD that are high enough to get some flakes, maybe once or twice a year. An hour or two north and you have Big Bear and Lake Arrowhead, which have small ski resorts.

Heck, the town I grew up in, just a few miles from the ocean, had measurable snowfall - in 1949.

I agree with you about the “flakes” in SoCal. ;)

jmonroe

@sda said:

Is that your daughter’s Christmas gift?

jmonroe

jmonroe1 said:

@sda said:

Is that your daughter’s Christmas gift?

jmonroe

Not hardly! It is a Christmas gift from my sister to herself! :smile:

edited December 2021
    jmonroe1 said:

@andres3 said:

jmonroe

Well, CA has mountains, the Sierra Nevada, and it just so happens I learned a whole lot about snow at a very young age by getting the Neon stuck in it and high-centered on a pile of it trying to plow through it with a car filled with teenagers and momentum alone. It's amazing how quickly that momentum went to zero from just a "pile" of snow on the road.

I learned that it's extremely difficult to get a 2,300 lb Neon out of being high centered with All Season tires in cold icy conditions. Ultimately, it took a big tow truck driver with chains to pull me out, and the driver had the wisdom to tell me to be ready to slam on the brakes so I don't hit him when the car "broke" free. That's exactly what happened, and I hit the brakes as he instructed; no collisions that day.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion

@andres3 said:
    Well, CA has mountains, the Sierra Nevada, and it just so happens I learned a whole lot about snow at a very young age by getting the Neon stuck in it and high-centered on a pile of it trying to plow through it with a car filled with teenagers and momentum alone. It's amazing how quickly that momentum went to zero from just a "pile" of snow on the road.

I learned that it's extremely difficult to get a 2,300 lb Neon out of being high centered with All Season tires in cold icy conditions. Ultimately, it took a big tow truck driver with chains to pull me out, and the driver had the wisdom to tell me to be ready to slam on the brakes so I don't hit him when the car "broke" free. That's exactly what happened, and I hit the brakes as he instructed; no collisions that day.

So, how many inches of snow was on the ground when you woke up that morning?

jmonroe

@au1994 said:
    Well certainly let us know how this goes. We had overnight lows in the 20’s at the lake at Thanksgiving and days that didn’t get much over 50 but I don’t remember a problem. Been fairly mild since then and mine lives in the garage. When I get out its usually not till lunch so even if it was a cold night, it’s warmed some.

I’ll have to check tomorrow. Still at work as on call people are busy.

jmonroe1 said:

@andres3 said:

So, how many inches of snow was on the ground when you woke up that morning?

jmonroe

That sounds like a trick question. There's always many inches of snow on the ground in certain places, like the top of Everest.
    mjfloyd1 said:

@au1994 said:

I’ll have to check tomorrow. Still at work as on call people are busy.

It was in the mid 50s today but we’re expecting several inches of snow tomorrow. You can’t escape winter in the northeast forever. :'(

other than this one being a hybrid, basically identical to the one I have on order. Same trim and color. Looks sharp I think. Mine should be arriving "soon". Not likely to get it before Xmas, but hopefully when I get back midweek after so still get a punch in for 2021. It has been in transit for a while now, but the tracking site customers get basically has "built, shipped, at the dealer" as the only options. so it could be sitting in a parking lot in Mexico, on a boat, in a lot at port Newark, or on a truck heading to the dealer. No clue. I believe the dealer has a fancier tracking system that can pinpoint it but I have not asked them yet since not in a hurry.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHiOg8QMR6E

• ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,081
    I would guess they would come out of Mexico by rail and then make their way to your part of the world slowly.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

they rail to the east coast of Mexico, then boat up to Newark, and get dispersed from there for the north east. I think they train straight up to the southern states like Texas. Not sure what they do for the west coast.

@ab348 said:
    I would guess they would come out of Mexico by rail and then make their way to your part of the world slowly.

Slowly would be good but it’s probably coming

SLOOOOOOOOOOOOWLY. :(

jmonroe

@andres3 said:
    That sounds like a trick question. There's always many inches of snow on the ground in certain places, like the top of Everest.

No, that wasn’t a trick question but I got trick answer. 😫

jmonroe

Apparently, my Tundra isn't burning oil, after all. Decided to give it one last check before hitting Autozone for some top-up oil, and it was reading just slightly under the full mark on the dipstick, after the truck had sat for an hour. It's weird because I know it's read lower than that before, if I check it a few minutes after I shut the engine down. I can only guess that the design of the engine causes it to take a long time to drain all of the oil back into the pan.