Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• jmonroe1jmonroe1 Member Posts: 7,560

jmonroe1 said:

sda said:

qbrozen said:
    I read your comment :) Looks like a lot of the repairs done to that ML mirror what you've experienced. I am a bit surprised so many issues at relatively low miles. My thinking of higher mileage is 150K+. Of course 30 years ago it was more
    around 100k, lol.
    Back in the 60’s and 70’s the half life of domestic cars was 50K miles if you were lucky.

jmonroe
    I ran a 69’ Plymouth Satellite up to 160k miles so it could be done.
    There are always exceptions. How much of the engine/tranny/suspension were original at the end?

BTW, where you live I’m surprised that rust didn’t kill before 80K miles

jmonroe
    '15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
  • 28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,392

@explorerx4 said:
    @28firefighter,
    Other than being underpowered, anything else disappointing?

Sounds like the steering wasn’t communicative enough for a sports sedan.

2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible, 2015 Audi Q5 TDI
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,550
    if you want that kind of steering, just move over to the BRZ department and they can hook you right up.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,946

@stickguy said:
    now this, IMO, is the way to do a resto mod. I love it, even the colot. Very authentic looking, but all the modern capabilities you want to be able to use it. And not at all overdone. I guess this is about as close to a modern 1969 as you can get!

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1969-plymouth-satellite-6/

Love it. But odd to do all that work and say “eh, the next guy can adjust the driver’s door.”

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

dial up the Coronet. See if you can get it to come out like this!

• graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665

jmonroe1 said:

sda said:

qbrozen said:
    I read your comment :) Looks like a lot of the repairs done to that ML mirror what you've experienced. I am a bit surprised so many issues at relatively low miles. My thinking of higher mileage is 150K+. Of course 30 years ago it was more
    around 100k, lol.
    Back in the 60’s and 70’s the half life of domestic cars was 50K miles if you were lucky.

jmonroe
    I would expect nothing less from you! (J/k)!
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
    Probably good news: the Eagle has been bid beyond what I'd pay for a novelty item.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• breldbreld Member Posts: 6,710
    @stickguy - I love that estoril blue 230i you posted, though for a RWD 230, I'd probably want a manual.

Really should have kept my very cheap 228i that I had stumbled upon a couple years ago.

2024 Audi Q8 e-tron - 2024 Corvette - 2024 BMW X5 - 2023 Tesla Model Y

Just found this - not a great color combo, but really well equipped and local to me.

Also very expensive, which is not surprising.

2017 340 manual

• oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,669
    jmonroe1 said:

jmonroe1 said:

sda said:

qbrozen said:
    around 100k, lol.

jmonroe
    There are always exceptions. How much of the engine/tranny/suspension were original at the end?

BTW, where you live I’m surprised that rust didn’t kill before 80K miles

jmonroe
    The engine was original except for a few valves that got bent thanks to the timing chain falling off at 139k. The transmission was rebuilt at about 120k because as a kid we would have drop patch burn out competitions.

The rust did a number on it of course to the point where if you pulled the rear seat back forward and threw your empty beer cans into the trunk they would roll out through the holes in the rear quarter. The front fenders (which had no inner fenders) rusted to the point where the car would put up rooster tails when driving in the rain.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

This is a really nice example too...

2018 330i

Another nice option for a manual...

Accord Sport

• MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,289
    breld said:

Another nice option for a manual...

Accord Sport

OK, that one I like.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

This is one I never saw:

https://youtu.be/rWejEiJl3dg

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• au1994au1994 Member Posts: 3,386

2021 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4xe Granite Crystal over Saddle
    2024 Audi Q5 Premium Plus Daytona Gray over Beige
    2017 BMW X1 Jet Black over Mocha

I couldn’t get myself to pay 44k for a 2017. The silver one, that looks like a good deal. Same price as the Accord too. Something like that I might do if it was by me.

Same price as the Si I looked at (with ADM), and probably close to the Integra at MSRP.

@breld, I wanted it with a stick too, but I’m guessing by 2021, that wasn’t an option. Otherwise I probably would have gone to drive it!

I should have bought your 228 too.

au1994 said:

Punch to report. I believe I mentioned the plan to buy my BiL’s 2011 328 sedan for au1994 jr. Well, the transaction has been completed. We wanted him to have about a month of seat time before he turns 16 so he will indeed have a Merry Christmas!

our sons are very close in age. Mine (the older one) is turning 16 in 2 months and 1 day. He wants me to give him some seat time over the holiday break. He will be starting driver's ed in April, I believe.

The more seat time, the better. Its easy to make fun of teenage drivers but all in all he has done well.

He’s got a heavy foot but he comes by that naturally. We’ll be keeping a close eye on that via Life360.

• dad23dad23 Member Posts: 870
    We have a few like that too, and when I mention it to them, I get "that look" from you know who...
    I’d rather not remember my kids’ teenage driving years…

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

• tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,923

@Michaell said:
    I’d rather not remember my kids’ teenage driving years…

I’m not ready for any of that yet!

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

Thankfully mine did not have any big problems. Not even 1 wreck. Or ticket. I feel fortunate.

Not sure where the poor people, entry level cars for new drivers are coming from though.

My son is 7, I’m thinking by the time he drives even something like a Sonic or Accent will have self drive available as an option and all the safety nannies standard.

edited December 2021
    stickguy said:

Not sure where the poor people, entry level cars for new drivers are coming from though.

No kidding. Had we not been able to work this deal with my BiL I am not sure what we would have done. Likely bit the bullet and overpaid for something for my wife and passed on the X1 to Jr. More financial commitment than we really wanted to make but in this market, at the low price point we were looking for him, I shudder to think what we would have ended up with.

My BiL has a company car and thats what allowed us to do this. He estimates he put 1k miles on the BMW this year.

• greg128greg128 Member Posts: 529
    there is a very smart and interesting article about green energy and electric cars by physicist and engineer Mark P Mills. Some of the main points:

Among the material realities of green energy:

Building wind turbines and solar panels to generate electricity, as well as batteries to fuel electric vehicles, requires, on average, more than 10 times the quantity of materials, compared with building machines using hydrocarbons to deliver the same amount of energy to society.

A single electric car contains more cobalt than 1,000 smartphone batteries; the blades on a single wind turbine have more plastic than 5 million smartphones; and a solar array that can power one data center uses more glass than 50 million phones.

Replacing hydrocarbons with green machines under current plans—never mind aspirations for far greater expansion—will vastly increase the mining of various critical minerals around the world. For example, a single electric car battery weighing 1,000 pounds requires extracting and processing some 500,000 pounds of materials. Averaged over a battery’s life, each mile of driving an electric car “consumes” five pounds of earth. Using an internal combustion engine consumes about 0.2 pounds of liquids per mile.

Oil, natural gas, and coal are needed to produce the concrete, steel, plastics, and purified minerals used to build green machines. The energy equivalent of 100 barrels of oil is used in the processes to fabricate a single battery that can store the equivalent of one barrel of oil.

By 2050, with current plans, the quantity of worn-out solar panels—much of it nonrecyclable—will constitute double the tonnage of all today’s global plastic waste, along with over 3 million tons per year of unrecyclable plastics from worn-out wind turbine blades. By 2030, more than 10 million tons per year of batteries will become garbage.

The entire piece here:
    https://www.manhattan-institute.org/mines-minerals-and-green-energy-reality-check

Just goes to show you the statement “There is no free lunch” speaks a lot of truth.

stickguy said:

Better buy up all the Crown Vics and Buick LeSabres while there’s still time and then name your price when the parents come looking for a first car.

tjc78 said:

My son is 7, I’m thinking by the time he drives even something like a Sonic or Accent will have self drive available as an option and all the safety nannies standard.

In 9 years he can probably have his pick of my fleet at an estate sale.

au1994 said:

stickguy said:

No kidding. Had we not been able to work this deal with my BiL I am not sure what we would have done. Likely bit the bullet and overpaid for something for my wife and passed on the X1 to Jr. More financial commitment than we really wanted to make but in this market, at the low price point we were looking for him, I shudder to think what we would have ended up with.

My BiL has a company car and thats what allowed us to do this. He estimates he put 1k miles on the BMW this year.
    Stop that, we’re all thinking emotionally these days. Logic and facts have no place here.

@greg128 said:

each mile of driving an electric car “consumes” five pounds of earth

By no means am I a greenie, and I often argue the consumption of materials and real estate for these things, but statements like these weaken a position. It is obviously not true. What he means is that materials are extracted from 5 pounds of earth, but only a very small percentage is “consumed” and the rest goes back to whence it came.

au1994 said:

stickguy said:

Gotta update the signature line!

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

• explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,320
    @qbrozen,
    "the rest goes back to whence it came." Also not true.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert

@qbrozen said:

@greg128 said:

each mile of driving an electric car “consumes” five pounds of earth

By no means am I a greenie, and I often argue the consumption of materials and real estate for these things, but statements like these weaken a position. It is obviously not true. What he means is that materials are extracted from 5 pounds of earth, but only a very small percentage is “consumed” and the rest goes back to whence it came.

Agreed there are certainly a lot of extremes used in that article, but there are some valid points.

@explorerx4 said:
    @qbrozen,
    "the rest goes back to whence it came." Also not true.

Where do you think it goes? And I mean back to the earth, fyi, not necessarily the exact spot in the earth it came from.

• tifightertifighter Member Posts: 3,605
    Manhattan Institute? Oh boy.
    From their website-

Anytime you hear things like "foster greater economic choice and individual responsibility", it's time to google where the funding comes from. I won't spoil it, but you shouldn't be surprised. After the ridiculous cobalt quote made it clear that it was a hit piece, I just had to look...

23 Civic Type-R / 22 MDX Type-S / 21 Tesla Y LR / 03 Montero Ltd

• explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,320
    @qbrozen,
    The extraction process is key. Do you think the minerals being mined for just magically separate from the other mined material?
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
    au1994 said:

stickguy said:

No kidding. Had we not been able to work this deal with my BiL I am not sure what we would have done. Likely bit the bullet and low for something for my wife and passed on the X1 to Jr. More financial commitment than we really wanted to make but in this market, at the price point we were looking for him, I shudder to think what we would have ended up with.

'15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
    yowzers. Watching a Ford dealer livestream (guy in Kansas that is a big Maverick guru now, and dealer that has ordered a huge number of them from all over the country).

he was talking about what they were selling any units that customers ordered but didn't take. He said they are looking at Manheim, dealer auction results and marking up from that to get retail. Those are going 5-10K OVER sticker. At the dealer auction. If they get any stock units they will sell XL and XLT for 5K ADM, and Hybrids and Lariats for 7.5K.

now I am getting excited for mine to show up next week!

stickguy said:

yowzers. Watching a Ford dealer livestream (guy in Kansas that is a big Maverick guru now, and dealer that has ordered a huge number of them from all over the country).

he was talking about what they were selling any units that customers ordered but didn't take. He said they are looking at Manheim, dealer auction results and marking up from that to get retail. Those are going 5-10K OVER sticker. At the dealer auction. If they get any stock units they will sell XL and XLT for 5K ADM, and Hybrids and Lariats for 7.5K.

now I am getting excited for mine to show up next week!

When there is that kind of money to be made you better hope yours didn’t go right to the Manheim auction block.

jmonroe
  • ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,094
    There is a story in Automotive News behind their paywall apparently about a KPMG report that used car prices are about to fall, maybe even crash, I dunno. More research reqd.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

I saw something on Youtube (from the YAA channel) talking about that. IIRC, one of the experts they had on said it was more toward a Q3, or into early 2023, likelihood. Though Omicron could throw a wrench in things of course. But until new cars ramp up significantly, the supply of used isn't going to go up, and the demand isn't going down.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2-BuqnBfSPk

If used car prices crash, I smell opportunity.

Buy, Mortimer, buy.

hopefully anyone that bought or leased to flip gets their sales down before prices crash if they do. Or they like what they buy if they need to keep them.

edited December 2021
    Breld got my interest piqued with all those RWD BMWs out by him (seems like CO would be more AWD centric, but maybe not?) So I did a quick cars.com search. BMWS, 2018+, up to $40,000. 30 miles of me.

255 listings. 1 manual trans. And I did check, unlike many listings it was actually true. This one, which I happen to even like a bit. Love the insides. Not a fan of the black but at least it matches, and a big 2 door is not really what I am looking for. but at least the deal does not seem absurd.

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/9a0e344b-dd44-4858-b134-c7493e470905/

Edit: read the Carfax. normal stuff, other than a new clutch put in at 18,800 miles. Somebody in Miami must not have been good at driving a manual. But, only 6 months/1,500 miles ago, so probably a good thing. Better than finding out 6 months from now it needs one!

@explorerx4 said:
    @qbrozen,
    The extraction process is key. Do you think the minerals being mined for just magically separate from the other mined material?

Of course not. But I’m not following what that has to do with the leftovers. I’m assuming they don’t launch it into space. I could be wrong. I picture it like a bunch of 49’ers with pans knee deep in the river. All the stuff they don’t want goes right back in the river.