Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,382
    It is an Audi. They’ve done worse.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

corvette said:

There is a Ford dealer in Des Moines offering factory orders at $3,000 off MSRP on Mavericks through January 31. Tempting!

Interesting. Not likely to be many allocations left for 2022s at the dealer, but good way to get customers. And could also be some fine print in there.

• nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,359

Thanks everybody. The whole thing is still very upsetting. Big positives are that nobody got hurt, all we lost was “stuff,” and it forced us to throw out a lot of things we were holding on to for no good reason. The layout is great now, better than ever. Biggest negative is that I have to write an appeal letter to FEMA to try and get money for the work we had done. I paid to have it fixed and had that money allocated for other household projects.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• mjfloyd1mjfloyd1 Member Posts: 3,211
    edited December 2021

Which of these two grille replacements for the current body style M3/M4 do you prefer? Both are from Prior Design.

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 234,733
    The top one

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

Me too

• jmonroe1jmonroe1 Member Posts: 7,440

@mjfloyd1 said:
    Me too

Where is the middle one? :s

jmonroe

'15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
  • ab348ab348 Member Posts: 18,979
    The top one reminds me of a Dodge.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

Top one in orange.

• corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,229

Top one, although the bottom one reminds me of an Alfa.

• Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,948
    Now that we're not going to be moving to Orlando any time soon, we need to turn our attention to our kitchen cabinets and counters. Hoping to get the new stove/own put in in the next few months and then we can come up with some plan. Would love to re-face the current ones but that all depends if the boxes will support this. Our builder used real garbage it seems which could be an issue. Have to wait until tax season is over which ain't too bad since summer months are the best time down here as the snowbirds have all left and the carpenters and such are looking for work.
    Come June 30th, we'll have been here 35 years, so it's definitely time to fix things up. Hoping that the other half will tell me "just to take care of it" like she did in 2009 with the kids bathroom. Got together with my carpenter friend and he & his buddy did all the work after I picked all the finishes/colors. Turned out pretty nice to be honest and now, it's my bathroom, which makes for a smooth happy household. Our daughter starts her new job a week from Monday and her new lease starts on 1/28/2022, as they need time to clean it up, paint & all, since the current tenant is not moving out till mid January. Time-wise, works out great as she still has her Miami place till the end of January, so she can stay with us the first month.
    It came down to Orlando & Boca Raton and G-d made the choice for her though either would've been acceptable. Just nice to finally have her plans set so we can move ahead with ours. Will be interesting having one of the kids home for a short while though, has been awhile.

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

• sdasda Member Posts: 6,920
    edited December 2021
    It isn’t a surprise that new car inventory is lean but it is startling to experience it first hand. Yesterday I went out for a while and took advantage of 70degree weather and closed dealers. Two larger Honda dealers had a handful of new vehicles and those on the lot were marked up by $4k. The VW dealer had a good selection of Taos and Tiguans, little else and all marked up $3-4k. Mazda did not have a single new vehicle on the lot but did have a decent number of CPO Mazdas. CarMax had a full lot. I did not walk the CarMax lot to observe prices which I suspect were crazy high.

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

Here is one Honda dealer, only a handful of Passports and Pilots. Not an Accord, Civic, CR-V in sight.

• tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,817

@sda
    It seems like Carmax and other similar outfits have plenty of cars to sell. They had a good inventory before things got sketchy and I guess they have been able to maintain.

Biggest issue is you are gonna pay big for anything from them.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 239,551
    My local CarMax has a full lot, again.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• 28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,321

@Michaell said:
    My local CarMax has a full lot, again.

Ours too. Granted, prices are even more outrageous than usual.

2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible

I honestly think I’d rather over pay on a lease right now than buy something used at these obscene prices.

I mean look at this. This should be a 30K car.

https://www.carmax.com/car/21633755

@tjc78 said:
    I honestly think I’d rather over pay on a lease right now than buy something used at these obscene prices.

I mean look at this. This should be a 30K car.

https://www.carmax.com/car/21633755

+1

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 234,733
    There is a CJDR dealer a few blocks from me. They seem to have a huge inventory. Especially, if you want a Gladiator or a RAM truck.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

edited December 2021

@kyfdx said:
    There is a CJDR dealer a few blocks from me. They seem to have a huge inventory. Especially, if you want a Gladiator or a RAM truck.

One of the brokers on LH is advertising 14% off ram trucks. Had a 51k RAM for $430/month plus tax. Tempting as a holdover if I wanted to order another Jeep.

Of course it probably has the hemi and therefore gets 8mpg.

If I didn’t have the XC90 I’d consider a truck for the next vehicle, but I certainly don’t need two big vehicles.

I almost feel like I should get a Jeep. I have a house down the Jersey shore it’s almost a requirement. Every third car is a Jeep especially in season. Only problem is I don’t really think I’d like it any other time than going to the beach.

• corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,229

You mean there is a full size truck which gets even worse mileage than the outgoing model Tundra like mine? I may have to add that to my shopping list, just for bragging rights.
  • xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,747
    corvette said:

You mean there is a full size truck which gets even worse mileage than the outgoing model Tundra like mine? I may have to add that to my shopping list, just for bragging rights.
    No, there's not. He was exaggerating. Hahhaha
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250

With my mostly city driving and heavy foot, I wouldn’t be surprised if I managed to get a full size V8 truck into single digits.

• au1994au1994 Member Posts: 3,343
    edited December 2021
    BTW…I got a mountain bike for Christmas if that counts as a punch :smile:

2021 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4xe Granite Crystal over Saddle
    2024 Audi Q5 Premium Plus Daytona Gray over Beige
    2017 BMW X1 Jet Black over Mocha

• graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    Got a standing offer for trade on my TLX from one of the two local dealers of $2K over what I paid for my TLX 9 months ago. Plus, if I trade it in, I would get $2,500 in additional cash for a new TLX. Not sure that's enough to make me pull the trigger, but who knows? I've got some time on my hands this week.
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring

Got a standing offer for trade on my TLX from one of the two local dealers of $2K over what I paid for my TLX 9 months ago. Plus, if I trade it in, I would get $2,500 in additional cash for a new TLX. Not sure that's enough to make me pull the trigger, but who knows? I've got some time on my hands this week.

Wow. Does your dealer have any in stock? Our local Acura dealer which generally has a good inventory only has one TLX, a TLX-S for $54k, in Steel Metallic Gray, but it does have the red interior!

sda said:

Wow. Does your dealer have any in stock? Our local Acura dealer which generally has a good inventory only has one TLX, a TLX-S for $54k, in Steel Metallic Gray, but it does have the red interior!
    My local Acura dealer has (2) White/Red FWD ASpec TLX in stock. That's it.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• tifightertifighter Member Posts: 3,582
    edited December 2021
    Our 3 Performance came with 20" summer tires standard. No bueno for the winter. As I already had a spare 3 wheelset from the last car, I opted to have something more all season mounted. With snow now in the city, and a few ski days under the belt as well, I'm ready to declare the CrossClimate 2 a success.

Drives like an all-season during the usual cold wet yuck that Seattle has from November to March, but puts in an above-average performance in snow traction. It's not a winter compound, so I'm not expecting miracles when it's very icy, but so far, I haven't felt any slip. Not bad for a car with all the torque and around 500hp.

@xwesx will frown, but the Y got Sottozero 3's last week. Couldn't find anything else, but so far, so good. If you think finding car inventory is challenging right now, try finding good traction tires.

23 Civic Type-R / 22 MDX Type-S / 21 Tesla Y LR / 03 Montero Ltd

I was going to ask you WA State guys how things are going. Saw a clip on our local news last night about your state (and the Western Part of the USA) and the amount of snow fall.

@tifighter - I bought a set of those Michelin Cross Climate 2s for my Mom's 2020 RX. I think she had them on for less than 2 weeks before we sold it back to the Lexus dealer.

Child care is closed. Roads are icy up my way because they seem to be plowing but not treating the roads, combined with temps in the 20s all week.

Got the Jeep to go sideways though, which was way more fun than it should be.

We are going to the Methow valley on Thursday for 10 days to nordic ski. Current outlook-

Hence the winter tires on the Y.

tifighter said:

We are going to the Methow valley on Thursday for 10 days to nordic ski. Current outlook-

Balmy.
    I’m looking
    Forward to getting home and using one of the predicted high of 55-57 days to wash the northern salt slime off the car.

tifighter said:

Too cold! To what degree do cold temps affect the travel range on the Y?

@tifighter said:

Some folks just ain’t happy till they go lookin for trouble. :'(

jmonroe

'15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
    I'm not worried about range - I'll pass 5 supercharger stations between here and there. I'm more worried that the trip, which is ordinarily 4-5 hours in normal weather will take forever due to road conditions. But worst case would be 2 charging stops, I'd guess. I'll need to stretch anyhow.

• ab348ab348 Member Posts: 18,979

tifighter said:

Balmy.
    You mean the weather, or @tifighter ? ;)

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

jmonroe1 said:

@tifighter said:

jmonroe

I've done this trip the past two winters with the X. It's a known quantity.

Ultimately the snow doesn’t bother me here, other than the fact it shuts everything down. We’ve had pretty consistent significant snowfall the last few years, so it seems like local governments need to start investing in snow removal.

Ultimately the snow doesn’t bother me here, other than the fact it shuts everything down. We’ve had pretty consistent significant snowfall the last few years, so it seems like local governments need to start investing in snow removal.

And you thought you left that mess behind when you moved from the burgh!

@sda said:
    And you thought you left that mess behind when you moved from the burgh!

Pretty much! And the first 5 years I lived here, that was generally the case. Oh well.

edited December 2021
    @roadburner

2020 M2 comp, 3 pedal, slick top ,executive pkg, hockenheim silver, 16 k miles, clean car fax

https://www.carvana.com/vehicle/2144307

Another option - it has the M service and another service documented

https://www.carfax.com/vehicle/WBS2U7C06L7E17082
    tifighter said:

@xwesx will frown, but the Y got Sottozero 3's last week. Couldn't find anything else, but so far, so good. If you think finding car inventory is challenging right now, try finding good traction tires.

Why would I frown?! Just because my Pirelli's didn't stand up to the added weight of towing doesn't mean they weren't good tires before that. I just realized that having gone a different way with the car, I need to go a different way with the tires, too.

I agree about the limited supply on tires in general. Crazy times in which we live!

Hopefully they work well.
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,495
    edited December 2021
    jmonroe1 said:

One of the many Don Imus quotes (having nothing to do with nappi-nes) that I remember fondly was "we're not happy until you're not happy."

Different times.

Some would say better
    '08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester
    @xwesx Have you had a chance to trouble shoot the Q7? Hoping it is something really minor and simple to address.

sda said:

@xwesx Have you had a chance to trouble shoot the Q7? Hoping it is something really minor and simple to address.

No, but I did get a moment to stop by and visit it this morning. Earlier, I made a special trip to town early Saturday morning to put a charger on the battery just to make sure it was fully topped. When I stopped in this morning, the parking lot where I left it had been plowed, and they plowed my nice extension cord along with it. So, that's a bummer, but so it goes.

I went ahead and tried to start it again, and it hung for just a moment on the initial crank, then started as normal. So, that's good, perhaps. I'll have my son drop me off at the car later this afternoon and see if I can maybe drive it home. Haha; living dangerously!

@tifighter said:
    I've done this trip the past two winters with the X. It's a known quantity.

I was talking about the cold weather not the trip.

Have a good time skiing.

jmonroe