Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,935
    corvette said:

Here are my guesstimates for the options I'm considering as things sit today:

• Buy out Tundra lease and finance for 60 months: $724/month (PenFed 2.59% financing)
    • Lease a similarly equipped new Tacoma for 36-ish months: $400/month, possibly less
    • Order and lease a 4xe for 36 months: $484 / month
    • Order and buy a Maverick XL 2.0T AWD with accessories: $467/month (Ford 1.99% financing)
    Good god, I'll be damned if I'd pay $724 for 5 years for a used truck.

$484 seems pretty high on a 4xe. Would have to be pretty loaded and/or have high mileage allotment (something I don't suggest) and/or you have brutal taxes, like in Texas. I'll be doing a one-pay 36/10 on my $61k build and expect it to come to just about $395 effective.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,646
    tjc78 said:

@28firefighter said:

He was rear facing until he was nearly 4 and had maxed out the limitations for rear facing in his seat.

4! My son didn’t make it to 2.

Long story short I got stuck when moving out of our campground home (too much stuff) and my son had to ride in the front seat. I moved the front seat back as far as I could. He is 7, tall for his age and a solid 85 pounds. He loved it, but I was nervous.

I remember being younger than him in the front seat. How times have changed.

At 7 I remember riding in mom’s 1953 Ford standing on the seat or laying on the rear shelf looking up through the glass at the clouds. Seat belts? What were those?

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,262
    qbrozen said:

Good god, I'll be damned if I'd pay $724 for 5 years for a used truck.

Yes, but it's several grand cheaper than the (mostly non-negotiable) prices for comparable used ones.
    qbrozen said:

$484 seems pretty high on a 4xe. Would have to be pretty loaded...

I just found a Leasehackr page and clicked on the top trim level 36/10k. We have a 6% tax on the lease payment in my state plus a random $15 per year tax payment, in addition to an ad valorem tax the lease company will bill you for.
    stickguy said:

well, I could...

though it might ruin my reputation ordering a poverty spec!

seriously though, the one I test drove a few months ago was a weird spec. XL AWD, but with a moonroof. And I was impressed how nice it was for the cheap model.

just make sure you can live with no cruise control (not just no ACC, no CC at all).

Hey, be careful of who you have do your bed liner.

https://youtu.be/--CCtlyrE8w

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,517
    I can vaguely remember riding in the back of our parents station wagon with my sisters, looking through a rust hole at the road going by underneath. They got rid of that car when I was 6 or 7.

of course, back in the early 60s, mothers still held their babies on their lap in the front seat. with no seatbelts. Doing the physics on a sudden stop in that situation, is not a pretty ending.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,024
    stickguy said:

I can vaguely remember riding in the back of our parents station wagon with my sisters, looking through a rust hole at the road going by underneath. They got rid of that car when I was 6 or 7.

of course, back in the early 60s, mothers still held their babies on their lap in the front seat. with no seatbelts. Doing the physics on a sudden stop in that situation, is not a pretty ending.

Summer of 1971 - family road trip from CA to NY, and back. In our 1967 VW Squareback.

My sister, who was 4, rode on my mom's lap the whole way there, and back. The folks folded down the rear seat and made a small cubby for me (I was 7), and I was surrounded by luggage.

I'm not even sure the car had seatbelts, to be honest.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,349
    andres3 said:

qbrozen said:

@28firefighter said:

Am I the only one who has noticed that we all tend to eventually gravitate to the same cars over time?

Well, haven’t we had like ALL the cars between us? Doesn’t leave much room for originality.

Ferrari, Lambo, McLaren, Aston Martin, Bentley, Bugatti, Rolls, and Porsche need more representation here.

I may yet end up with a DB7 or Cayman S

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

I know this group can count a couple of Porsches, but I can't recall anyone mentioning any of those other brands. I know they were never on my short list!

andres3 said:

tifighter said:

nyccarguy said:

tifighter said:

So I have a standing offer for $55k on my current Jeep. I'd love to cash out today, but really need it until a replacement arrives. Rental rates are through the roof up here in the PNW.

Any thoughts/suggestions?

(ZHP not an option - on summer tires, sitting in the garage)

No worries - I've got you covered...
    You can even keep your Jeep keychain.

Eliminator addition. Audition. Whatever, you get the point.
    Nope. His little guy isn't old enough for the front seat yet.
    Actually, as a not-parent, I'm curious about this?
    Technically if a car does not have a rear seat, by law in WA, they can ride in a carseat in the front seat as long as any airbags are disabled. Pragmatically, the only safe place for a young kid to sit is in the back seat in an appropriately sized and facing car seat. Outcomes are dramatically worse in the front seat.
    Regarding car seat "facing" direction the problem is the type of collision and direction of impact force. The recommendations are playing the numbers for the average driver. Many here would consider the average driver a farce.

You don't want to overestimate your driving skills, but then again, why slum it if you are pretty good?
    To each their own - I kept him rear facing as long as possible and now he is front facing. He doesn't ride in the front seat of any of our cars and we have top of the line seats in each car. I trust people who are way smarter than me on this one and am not going to risk my son's life based on my own fuzzy mathematical analysis of whether I'm a "better" driver than others. If something godforbid happens I need to be able to tell myself that I did everything I reasonably could to protect him.
    After I saw a BMW child seat in one of Mike Valentine's cars I decided I wanted a BMW seat to use in my BMWs- so I had a friend smuggle in one from Germany in 1995. It was front facing and was designed for ages 1-7 as it could convert into a booster-type seat. Aside from that my son rode in the front seat of my Turbo Coupe and Wrangler as the T-Bird didn't have airbags and I could switch off the passenger airbag in the Jeep.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

edited January 2022

@roadburner said:
    Ferrari, Lambo, McLaren, Aston Martin, Bentley, Bugatti, Rolls, and Porsche need more representation here.
    I may yet end up with a DB7 or Cayman S

I am forever working on a Maserati or Porsche deal I can stomach. Aston and Ferrari will likely never be in reach.

Add to my wishlist: Renault, Citroen, Peugeot, Seat, Lancia, Skoda ….almost any forbidden fruit, really.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

I have a friend who is a big Aston and Porsche guy; he's almost talked me into a DB7 more than once. And I still would take an F-Type if I could find a V6 coupe. I can't afford the V8 and I refuse to consider an four- just what I want; a car that looks like it's going 100 mph standing still but can get blown off by an Accord.

• xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,790

Is there a TL;DR version? :D
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
    xwesx said:

Is there a TL;DR version? :D
    watch the video!

but quick recap, Ford discovered the off-site sub contractor that did the bed liners made a goof. They did not take the time to plug the drain holes before spraying. At least they realized the mistake and cleared them out. The problem is, they did it with a drill. and the gas tank is right below some of the holes. Meaning they drilled holes in some of the tanks. Plant (or dealer if already shipped) had to drop the tanks to inspect before they could sell the truck/

I had checked and mine was after the recall period. Though pretty much not an issue since I forgot to order it.

I did learn from the issue, and made sure to mention it to the place I am going to use. And will remind them a few times when it finally goes in. I did vet the place (I have used them before) and got referred to them by a high end installer of custom builds, that just does not do liners. They do work for a number of local car dealers too.

• ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,085

At 7 I remember riding in mom’s 1953 Ford standing on the seat or laying on the rear shelf looking up through the glass at the clouds. Seat belts? What were those?

This video is fun to watch regardless just for the cars, the music, the actors and the announcer, but check out the section with the wagons and the kid. Seat belts? What are those? There isn't even a seat back there!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GA51okFc33U

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    edited January 2022
    andres3 said:

qbrozen said:

@nyccarguy said:
    @qbrozen - I’ve heard the balance of the RX8 is just superb. Besides a set of winter shoes, with a manual transmission (and zero low end torque) it might make a good south Jersey winter car. Ground clearance might become somewhat of an issue.

I know you’ve read up on these. Before you mentioned it, I would have never known to put “regular” oil in it, not synthetic.

Which is a big reason why it is so scary to buy a used one. When well cared for, a rotary can go a long way. They are RARELY well cared for.

I wonder how "special needs" the Mazda owner's manual made the RX8 seem, or was it really customer neglect.

Two kinds of RX owners….one, they liked the looks and the high reving rotary, but had no clue how to care for it……two, those who knew the technology, the history, the mechanics and the maintenance required of a rotary (and also washed their car every week).

The former hated them. The latter loved them.

Finding one with a documented service history is important. At the very least, find one with receipts for an oil change religiously at 3K mile intervals.

Really fun cars that handled very well, very well balanced, great steering and shift action (stay away from the automatics). And, there’s nothing quite like wringing out a rotary to its 9K redline EVERY SINGLE GEAR (which the cars begged for).
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
  • graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665

So I have a standing offer for $55k on my current Jeep. I'd love to cash out today, but really need it until a replacement arrives. Rental rates are through the roof up here in the PNW.

TURO?
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
    edited January 2022

TURO?
    Rent JRGOs dart and don't bring it back for 4 months.

andres3 said:

qbrozen said:

@nyccarguy said:
    @qbrozen - I’ve heard the balance of the RX8 is just superb. Besides a set of winter shoes, with a manual transmission (and zero low end torque) it might make a good south Jersey winter car. Ground clearance might become somewhat of an issue.

I know you’ve read up on these. Before you mentioned it, I would have never known to put “regular” oil in it, not synthetic.

Which is a big reason why it is so scary to buy a used one. When well cared for, a rotary can go a long way. They are RARELY well cared for.

I wonder how "special needs" the Mazda owner's manual made the RX8 seem, or was it really customer neglect.
    Two kinds of RX owners….one, they liked the looks and the high reving rotary, but had no clue how to care for it……two, those who knew the technology, they history, the mechanics and the maintenance required of a rotary (and also washed their car every week).

The former hated them. The latter loved them.

Finding one with a documented service history is important. At the very least, find one with receipts for an oil change religiously at 3K mile intervals.

Really fun cars that handled very well, very well balanced, great steering and shift action (stay away from the automatics). And, there’s nothing quite like wringing out a rotary to its 9K redline EVERY SINGLE GEAR (which the cars begged for).

Or get one that just had a very expensive new engine installed!

• andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,729
    mjfloyd1 said:

@andres3 said:

Does WA have a law to keep them rear-facing 2 years minimum? How long is "as long as possible?"

I guess it depends on the way you look at it. I read some of the research these "laws" were based upon and I wasn't convinced it was the best I could do to protect my daughter. The government likes to say things like "it was the best advice on available information at the time." That doesn't do the trick for me when the "information available" seems thin.

Fortunately and thankfully were both past the rear-facing phase without incident.

🤦

Sorry if I don't take the Government at its word. Have you even read one supporting document for rear-facing?
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
    stickguy said:

TURO?
    You really want to rent that sludged up fiat?

Another random discovery about Ford. That thing generates heat incredibly quick. Really cold last night, and 2 minutes from the house I think it was hot enough in the car to roast a turkey.

• 28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,388
    I definitely thought about Turo and checked it out, but a long-term rental here doesn't seem cost effective - almost as much as the rental car companies.
    2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible, 2015 Audi Q5 TDI
    Is swap lease still a thing? Maybe find someone trying to bail on a shorter term? Though might be really hard to find that now.

stickguy said:

Is swap lease still a thing? Maybe find someone trying to bail on a shorter term? Though might be really hard to find that now.

It is a thing, but you can't fully transfer infiniti/nissan leases. While they allow you to assign it to someone else, you are fully liable for it for the full term.

stickguy said:

TURO?
    You really want to rent that sludged up fiat?
    He has a FIAT FIAT too!

Sell the Jeep. Buy a nice shape but nothing special older car for spare/emergency duty. Sell that, for little to no loss, when the new JERP arrives. Not like you will need to use it much, so miles won’t matter.

I'm trying to decide if that is less risk than say a CR-V Hybrid or similar. I don't see the market tanking on a CR-V anytime soon...
    Here’s some.

Got a moonroof! Can’t Lose at this price.

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/3b7a900b-c289-4855-87f7-54711ae80f12/

This is practical. Everybody likes SAABs

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/34a619e1-9d8c-4dce-bee6-a9c989693dae/

One more. Great price. Impressive miles. Don’t blow it up, and can’t lose. Blow it up, still won’t lose much.

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/006b1a2a-764a-4fea-877e-b81a8926b790/

stickguy said:

Here’s some.

Got a moonroof! Can’t Lose at this price.

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/3b7a900b-c289-4855-87f7-54711ae80f12/

This is practical. Everybody likes SAABs

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/34a619e1-9d8c-4dce-bee6-a9c989693dae/

One more. Great price. Impressive miles. Don’t blow it up, and can’t lose. Blow it up, still won’t lose much.

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/006b1a2a-764a-4fea-877e-b81a8926b790/

Yeah, that's gonna be a no from me.

I'm trying to decide if that is less risk than say a CR-V Hybrid or similar. I don't see the market tanking on a CR-V anytime soon...

You mean new? At sticker, maybe not. But at least here, you would get hammered with tax, dmv fees, etc. would recoup some if you could trade it in on the lease, I couldn’t do that though.

• explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,308
    Stickguy is trying to talk himself into selling the Mav and buying a hooptie. :p
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,830
    When the used car market turns over, it will be fast and steep, I think. And, no one knows when that will happen.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

edited January 2022
    People trying to sell almost new cars for more than sticker could be the first victims!

kyfdx said:

When the used car market turns over, it will be fast and steep, I think. And, no one knows when that will happen.

no shortage of soothsayers on the interwebs who claim otherwise.

edited January 2022
    stickguy said:

You mean new? At sticker, maybe not. But at least here, you would get hammered with tax, dmv fees, etc. would recoup some if you could trade it in on the lease, I couldn’t do that though.
    My plan would be to trade the Jeep into the same place I got something new, which would save me on taxes and fees. But to @kyfdx point, hard to know what the market is going to do, and when.
    Seems like a lot of hassle. I would probably just wait to flip the current one until the new one arrives, and hope for the best.

• breldbreld Member Posts: 6,710
    I gotta think with something as "common" as a CR-V, you could find a Honda dealer that is happy to move a unit at MSRP.

And resale has always been a safe bet on those, well before the current craziness.

2024 Audi Q8 e-tron - 2024 Corvette - 2024 BMW X5 - 2023 Tesla Model Y

On the X5 front, I received notification that it came off the truck this morning and will be ready later this afternoon for delivery. So very excited about that.

I also picked up a set of lightly used all weather mats and cargo liner for the X5 off craigslist last night. So those were cheap, my snow tires off the Volvo fit the X5, and I don't have to buy all the gloss black trim pieces! What a deal!

Chatted with the seller of the X5 mats for quite awhile last night...he had a nice 3 car garage with a newer TRD Tundra, a Macan (that he bought to replace the X5) and a 911. I'm not nearly knowledgeable enough to say what year the 911 was (and I didn't ask), but I'd say it was a fairly recent model, and had a proper shifter.

My local Honda dealer, as of a few weeks back when I looked at their lone Si, was doing everything but that model at MSRP (plus their added to every car accessories package for $795).

At least most Hondas are priced well enough, that even pre craziness, sticker was not terrible deal. And CRVs alway hold value very well.

Might be just me, but if I had $200,000 worth of cars in the garage, I don’t think I’d have random dudes I found on Craig’s list coming to the house just to make a few $$ off some mats.

stickguy said:

Might be just me, but if I had $200,000 worth of cars in the garage, I don’t think I’d have random dudes I found on Craig’s list coming to the house just to make a few $$ off some mats.

How do you think he made all that money?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

When we shopped an HR-V in December, the local Honda dealer had a pack of $2295 on every vehicle.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• tifightertifighter Member Posts: 3,604

stickguy said:

My plan would be to trade the Jeep into the same place I got something new, which would save me on taxes and fees. But to @kyfdx point, hard to know what the market is going to do, and when.
    Have you checked with Honda of Seattle (or Toyota of Seattle)? Their schtick is usually one price, and never above msrp. Don't know what they're doing now.

23 Civic Type-R / 22 MDX Type-S / 21 Tesla Y LR / 03 Montero Ltd

edited January 2022
    This has been sitting at a local Audi dealer for months now. At least since the end of October...I know that 'cause my wife and I saw it when looking at their lot days before she bought her m340i.

The price is getting a bit more palatable, especially considering the low miles. But still $6-8k higher than a year ago. Question is, will we even return to that pricing?

Personally, I think we will...perhaps evidenced by this M2 sitting so long.

https://www.audiflatirons.com/used/BMW/2018-BMW-M2-683e91030a0e09b16138c82c7278e510.htm

tifighter said:

stickguy said:

Have you checked with Honda of Seattle (or Toyota of Seattle)? Their schtick is usually one price, and never above msrp. Don't know what they're doing now.
    I haven't shopped pricing yet but I feel confident I can find an MSRP deal - I just am a little reticent of all the transactions.

tifighter said:

stickguy said:

I haven't shopped pricing yet but I feel confident I can find an MSRP deal - I just am a little reticent of all the transactions.
    Huh? I'm not following... ;)

• mjfloyd1mjfloyd1 Member Posts: 3,271

@andres3 said:
    Sorry if I don't take the Government at its word. Have you even read one supporting document for rear-facing?

It is about the spreading of forces and neck safety with an infant / small child that can’t support their head.

https://www.consumerreports.org/car-seats/why-kids-should-stay-longer-in-rear-facing-car-seats/

@28firefighter I certainly wouldn't buy a "stopgap" new car, just to hedge against loss of value in the Jeep. If the Jeep can go down in three months, so can any other vehicle.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• tifightertifighter Member Posts: 3,604
    breld said:

This has been sitting at a local Audi dealer for months now. At least since the end of October...I know that 'cause my wife and I saw it when looking at their lot days before she bought her m340i.

The price is getting a bit more palatable, especially considering the low miles. But still $6-8k higher than pre-COVID times. Question is, will we even return to those pre-COVID pricing?

Personally, I think we will...perhaps evidenced by this M2 sitting so long.

https://www.audiflatirons.com/used/BMW/2018-BMW-M2-683e91030a0e09b16138c82c7278e510.htm

I don't know. That car would be gone at that price in the PNW. Many a 2017 pre-LCI with similar miles for $55k have come and gone here. I do think the M2 in general is on a lot more people's radar screen, now with people realizing what the new 2-series is and is not. Especially if you want a manual.

23 Civic Type-R / 22 MDX Type-S / 21 Tesla Y LR / 03 Montero Ltd