Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• breldbreld Member Posts: 6,698
    tifighter said:

breld said:

This has been sitting at a local Audi dealer for months now. At least since the end of October...I know that 'cause my wife and I saw it when looking at their lot days before she bought her m340i.

The price is getting a bit more palatable, especially considering the low miles. But still $6-8k higher than pre-COVID times. Question is, will we even return to those pre-COVID pricing?

Personally, I think we will...perhaps evidenced by this M2 sitting so long.

https://www.audiflatirons.com/used/BMW/2018-BMW-M2-683e91030a0e09b16138c82c7278e510.htm

I don't know. That car would be gone at that price in the PNW. Many a 2017 pre-LCI with similar miles for $55k have come and gone here. I do think the M2 in general is on a lot more people's radar screen, now with people realizing what the new 2-series is and is not. Especially if you want a manual.
    Here too...there was a similar one, but with 10k more miles that was listed at $54k recently that is gone (that's the one I almost bought for $45k last March).

Maybe there's something wrong with this one that isn't showing up on the Carfax.

Or maybe I should just go "look" at it.

2024 Audi Q8 e-tron - 2024 Corvette - 2024 BMW X5 - 2023 Tesla Model Y

• tifightertifighter Member Posts: 3,591

I found a car I rather liked recently until I saw this-

I hate the ambiguity around “minor damage.” It might be nothing but the label will follow it for life. Given the front/under/back description, I’d guess someone drove it over a curb.

23 Civic Type-R / 22 MDX Type-S / 21 Tesla Y LR / 03 Montero Ltd

• au1994au1994 Member Posts: 3,356
    breld said:

tifighter said:

breld said:

This has been sitting at a local Audi dealer for months now. At least since the end of October...I know that 'cause my wife and I saw it when looking at their lot days before she bought her m340i.

The price is getting a bit more palatable, especially considering the low miles. But still $6-8k higher than pre-COVID times. Question is, will we even return to those pre-COVID pricing?

https://www.audiflatirons.com/used/BMW/2018-BMW-M2-683e91030a0e09b16138c82c7278e510.htm

I don't know. That car would be gone at that price in the PNW. Many a 2017 pre-LCI with similar miles for $55k have come and gone here. I do think the M2 in general is on a lot more people's radar screen, now with people realizing what the new 2-series is and is not. Especially if you want a manual.
    Here too...there was a similar one, but with 10k more miles that was listed at $54k recently that is gone (that's the one I almost bought for $45k last March).

Maybe there's something wrong with this one that isn't showing up on the Carfax.

Oh boy…a 2 punch week :smile:

2021 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4xe Granite Crystal over Saddle
    2024 Audi Q5 Premium Plus Daytona Gray over Beige
    2017 BMW X1 Jet Black over Mocha

• oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,562
    stickguy said:

Here’s some.

Got a moonroof! Can’t Lose at this price.

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/3b7a900b-c289-4855-87f7-54711ae80f12/

This is practical. Everybody likes SAABs

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/34a619e1-9d8c-4dce-bee6-a9c989693dae/

One more. Great price. Impressive miles. Don’t blow it up, and can’t lose. Blow it up, still won’t lose much.

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/006b1a2a-764a-4fea-877e-b81a8926b790/

Wow, what a market. I sold my 2009 PT last year with 62k miles for $2500. Before you buy that 2001 make sure the timing belt service was done (104k) because it requires the engine out.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• tifightertifighter Member Posts: 3,591
    tifighter said:

I hate the ambiguity around “minor damage.” It might be nothing but the label will follow it for life. Given the front/under/back description, I’d guess someone drove it over a curb.

Actually, what are the general thoughts here on minor reported damage like this? Would it stop you from considering a car? In this case, the carfax later shows it was sold CPO. We all flip through cars and are more sensitive to resale factors than the average person, no doubt. But what if it's a hard to find car? Just curious.

23 Civic Type-R / 22 MDX Type-S / 21 Tesla Y LR / 03 Montero Ltd

“ Given the front/under/back description, I’d guess someone drove it over a curb”

Or off a cliff. :s

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,761
    stickguy said:

watch the video!

but quick recap, Ford discovered the off-site sub contractor that did the bed liners made a goof. They did not take the time to plug the drain holes before spraying. At least they realized the mistake and cleared them out. The problem is, they did it with a drill. and the gas tank is right below some of the holes. Meaning they drilled holes in some of the tanks. Plant (or dealer if already shipped) had to drop the tanks to inspect before they could sell the truck/

I had checked and mine was after the recall period. Though pretty much not an issue since I forgot to order it.

I did learn from the issue, and made sure to mention it to the place I am going to use. And will remind them a few times when it finally goes in. I did vet the place (I have used them before) and got referred to them by a high end installer of custom builds, that just does not do liners. They do work for a number of local car dealers too.

I tried, but the dude didn't get to the point fast enough, and it was like nails on a chalkboard to my consciousness. Honestly, an 8 minute video should clearly explain the issue in the first twenty seconds followed by every detail you might ever want to know about it. /facepalm
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
    breld said:

my snow tires off the Volvo fit the X5

That's gotta be some sort of miracle! Mark that event on the calendar for historical purposes! :D
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • 28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,333
    kyfdx said:

@28firefighter I certainly wouldn't buy a "stopgap" new car, just to hedge against loss of value in the Jeep. If the Jeep can go down in three months, so can any other vehicle.

Yes, yes - you have made it abundantly clear that you are the voice of reason on this one.
    2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible
    tifighter said:

tifighter said:

Actually, what are the general thoughts here on minor reported damage like this? Would it stop you from considering a car? In this case, the carfax later shows it was sold CPO. We all flip through cars and are more sensitive to resale factors than the average person, no doubt. But what if it's a hard to find car? Just curious.
    Depends on the age and asking price of the car. The older it is, the less I care (and the longer ago the event happened, the less I care!). I also don't necessarily care if there's a minor blip on a newer car, but it should be reflected in the price of the car.... A major event? Major discount!
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,439
    tifighter said:

tifighter said:

I’m ok if the price is reasonable and the car checks out, and no accident listed. But if a common car, I would take the clean sheet for same price.

Though very likely on a newer car, the ding might not show up until later.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

tifighter said:

tifighter said:

Generally the same way people think of stick shifts...on resale "nobody wants a car with a dirty carfax" and you get lowballed; when it comes to selling said car and asking top dollar, "no big deal! very minor!"
  • MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 240,118
    @fintail - you've got mail!

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,236

@oldfarmer50 said:
    “ Given the front/under/back description, I’d guess someone drove it over a curb”

Or off a cliff. :s

“Ran when parked.”

• mjfloyd1mjfloyd1 Member Posts: 3,224

@breld said:

The price is getting a bit more palatable, especially considering the low miles. But still $6-8k higher than a year ago. Question is, will we even return to that pricing?

That was a Canadian car originally. What’s the warranty coverage? Does it transfer to US?

• laurasdadalaurasdada Member Posts: 4,686
    qbrozen said:

@roadburner said:

Ferrari, Lambo, McLaren, Aston Martin, Bentley, Bugatti, Rolls, and Porsche need more representation here.

I may yet end up with a DB7 or Cayman S

I am forever working on a Maserati or Porsche deal I can stomach. Aston and Ferrari will likely never be in reach.

Add to my wishlist: Renault, Citroen, Peugeot, Seat, Lancia, Skoda ….almost any forbidden fruit, really.

What? No Borgward?
    The first car I remember was my father's red Isabella.

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

• laurasdadalaurasdada Member Posts: 4,686
    And, once we've completed the move (end of the month!? Maybe a week later), I haven't given up on the "mid" life crisis part deux 911 or DB11.
    Of course, an F-Type would allow me to continue to wear my Jag attire; there was a spiffy used one in Providence recently with a Leaper on the hood! Not of interest to me, a hood Leaper, as I imagine it would be stolen at some point. Paranoid? Just because everyone is out to get me does not make me paranoid.

The range extender A7 continues to do its duty; I do note the range falling with the temperature. Getting 17-20 miles on a tank of shock vs. 20-24 in the more temperate months past. But, I'm trying not to fill the batteries with too much excitement as long as I know I'm not road-tripping. To try to extend the life of the D cells... So, YMMV. Car does get some compliments, and surprised looks when I plug it in.

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

Somebody needs to get a Countach. The first 4 minutes of Cannonball Run made me tingly in special places.

@laurasdada said:
    And, once we've completed the move (end of the month!? Maybe a week later), I haven't given up on the "mid" life crisis part deux 911 or DB11.
    Of course, an F-Type would allow me to continue to wear my Jag attire; there was a spiffy used one in Providence recently with a Leaper on the hood! Not of interest to me, a hood Leaper, as I imagine it would be stolen at some point. Paranoid? Just because everyone is out to get me does not make me paranoid.

The range extender A7 continues to do its duty; I do note the range falling with the temperature. Getting 17-20 miles on a tank of shock vs. 20-24 in the more temperate months past. But, I'm trying not to fill the batteries with too much excitement as long as I know I'm not road-tripping. To try to extend the life of the D cells... So, YMMV. Car does get some compliments, and surprised looks when I plug it in.

It’s an A7 so it has A cells :)

• qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,891
    au1994 said:

Somebody needs to get a Countach. The first 4 minutes of Cannonball Run made me tingly in special places.

Pretty sure that had less to do with the car and more to do with the pilots.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

@qbrozen said:

Ewww. That’s awkward

• roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,312
    breld said:

tifighter said:

breld said:

Stretch for a Comp or just find a nice 2020 M240i.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

tifighter said:

tifighter said:

It wouldn't bother me if the repairs were done property. My M6 was rear ended a couple of months before I bought it. The only things damaged were the bumper(scratched) snd the exhaust (kinked/crushed). The entire exhaust from the headers to the chrome exhaust tips were replaced- $5,000 in 1992 dollars. Didn't stop me for a nanosecond.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

qbrozen said:

au1994 said:

Well thats probably true…

tifighter said:

tifighter said:

It wouldn't bother me if the repairs were done property. My M6 was rear ended a couple of months before I bought it. The only things damaged were the bumper(scratched) snd the exhaust (kinked/crushed). The entire exhaust from the headers to the chrome exhaust tips were replaced- $5,000 in 1992 dollars. Didn't stop me for a nanosecond.
    I think for most people the thought of damage is worse than the actual damage. It’s the not knowing how twisted or busted something was that causes insomnia.

I know if I was selling a car that had an accident under my ownership I’d try to provide plenty of before/after pictures to reassure the buy of how minor the damage was. Just as you’d provide a list of oil change receipts.

• andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,729
    edited January 2022
    mjfloyd1 said:

@andres3 said:

Sorry if I don't take the Government at its word. Have you even read one supporting document for rear-facing?

It is about the spreading of forces and neck safety with an infant / small child that can’t support their head.

https://www.consumerreports.org/car-seats/why-kids-should-stay-longer-in-rear-facing-car-seats/

If you are in the business of ramming other vehicles and/or walls front first and rear-ending things, by all means. But if you are more likely to be rear-ended, then you've just reversed the forces on the head in the wrong direction....

I know which one has happened more often in my lifetime. As I said, it's based on a pathetic "average" driver that causes far too many collisions.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion

Getting 17-20 miles on a tank of shock vs. 20-24 in the more temperate months past.

Are you sure you're filling it up with premium?

Shortly after buying the Lambo, he ended up in federal prison for substance trafficking.

Cocaine Cowboys on Netflix made reference to a formerly-sleepy Mercedes-Benz dealership in south Florida that was greatly expanded due to the prevalence of drug money (and I think also, their willingness to accept paper bills).

tifighter said:

tifighter said:

I think for most people the thought of damage is worse than the actual damage. It’s the not knowing how twisted or busted something was that causes insomnia.

I know if I was selling a car that had an accident under my ownership I’d try to provide plenty of before/after pictures to reassure the buy of how minor the damage was. Just as you’d provide a list of oil change receipts.
    carfax would be a lot more useful if those accident or damage notifications linked to pictures, or repair reports that detail what was done.

the only thing like that I ever remember seeing is a link to an inspection report (like what you get done before returning a lease) that gave all the inspection details and stats.

@andres3 said:
    If you are in the business of ramming other vehicles and/or walls front first and rear-ending things, by all means. But if you are more likely to be rear-ended, then you've just reversed the forces on the head in the wrong direction....

I know which one has happened more often in my lifetime. As I said, it's based on a pathetic "average" driver that causes far too many collisions.

There are both coup and contra coup forces.

I don’t think anyone is “in the business of ramming other vehicles”, but I digress.

Perhaps the NHTSA should consult @andres3 for an in depth analysis of crashes caused by pathetic average drivers? :)

• sdasda Member Posts: 6,936
    edited January 2022
    Some years ago my 06 Passat 2.0t was lightly rear ended by a car that was pushed into mine by another car that was hit hard by a car three cars back. It did very minor damage, essentially a little crease on the lower bumper from the license plate of the offending car. Unfortunately it meant me waiting for the police to investigate and make their report. The minor bump showed on the Car Fax. When I went to trade the car, the dealer wanted to deduct over $1000 for that. I had the sales manager walk out and showed him the minor ding. No deduction, but what a pain.

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

• tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,852

@stickguy said:
    carfax would be a lot more useful if those accident or damage notifications linked to pictures, or repair reports that detail what was done.

the only thing like that I ever remember seeing is a link to an inspection report (like what you get done before returning a lease) that gave all the inspection details and stats.

The guys that do the lease turn in inspections are pretty thorough. I was surprised they caught the tiny bit of paint work on my Enclave when I turned it in.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

stickguy said:

tifighter said:

tifighter said:

One M2 I found had a Carfax that noted the repair cost was $9,000 Canadian.

@nyccarguy said:

@roadburner said:

That’s like fifty bucks

I wish I could laugh at this twice.

Darn scratched paint! :D
    SDA, that is why if I have to get any kind of touch up work done (minor ding repair or scratch fixed, or bumper clean up) I will make sure the shop won't report that kind of non-accident work. And of course gives a cash discount.

stickguy said:

tifighter said:

tifighter said:

I think some CarFaxs make reference to police reports of the accident so if someone was really ambitious they could get more detail but that seems like a lot of work unless it’s a high end car.

edited January 2022
    “ There are both coup and contra coup forces.”

That brought back memories of my days working in head injury rehabilitation. Some sad stories there for sure.

• sdasda Member Posts: 6,936
    edited January 2022
    stickguy said:

SDA, that is why if I have to get any kind of touch up work done (minor ding repair or scratch fixed, or bumper clean up) I will make sure the shop won't report that kind of non-accident work. And of course gives a cash discount.

It was lesson learned. As multiple cars were involved, all except mine suffered significant damage, prompted an insurance adjuster to look at the damage. I received a small check. I assume the insurance company reported to Car Fax. The damage was so minor I thought it was best to leave as is rather than risk a poor paint match.

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

edited January 2022
    sda said:

Some years ago my 06 Passat 2.0t was lightly rear needed by a car that was pushed into mine by another car that was hit hard by a car three cars back. It did very minor damage, essentially a little crease on the lower bumper from the license plate of the offending car. Unfortunately it meant me waiting for the police to investigate and make their report. The minor bump showed on the Car Fax. When I went to trade the car, the dealer wanted to deduct over $1000 for that. I had the sales manager walk out and showed him the minor ding. No deduction, but what a pain.

This nearly invisible ding cost $800 to fix. I paid my body guy in cash and he said it would never show up on CarFax.

I was sideswiped by a chair being operated by one of my son’s idiot friends so no police report but I wonder if a UCM could detect something with a paint meter.

edited January 2022

I wish I could laugh at this twice.

You could, if you laughed in Canadian currency.
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,256
    @oldfarmer50,
    That would have been an easy paintless dent removal fix, maybe $200.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert

I was sideswiped by a chair being operated by one of my son’s idiot friends so no police report but I wonder if a UCM could detect something with a paint meter.

Likely. Non-OEM paintwork generally increases the thickness of the coating, which is what a paint meter measures, plus it tends to have a more variable thickness than OEM, even if you can't see any signs of orange peel with your naked eye. But, if the color matches the rest of the car and there aren't any obvious quality issues, not likely to be an issue on trade in.
    Another coworker in my small office wrecked her car in the snow last week. Not sure if totaled. Her rental is a green (possibly BRG) MINI Countryman. I had no idea those were in rental fleets.
    corvette said:

Another coworker in my small office wrecked her car in the snow last week. Not sure if totaled. Her rental is a green (possibly BRG) MINI Countryman. I had no idea those were in rental fleets.

I think I've seen one or two here in Colorado.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

Every now and again, an ad for a car pops up on my FB feed.

1994 MB SL500 with 93,000 miles. Been in storage in Aspen for the last few years.

Seller says the car runs and drives, but needs TLC.

One interior picture shows a pretty substantial gash in the drivers seat.

Red over beige.

I pinged @fintail offline to get his .02. Suggested that the TLC could be a lot, and that the wiring harness is suspect. A PPI would be absolutely necessary.

Asking $3650.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Michaell said:

Every now and again, an ad for a car pops up on my FB feed.

If it's that infrequently, they may come to confiscate your CCBA card. I see car ads multiple times per day.