Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,349

Reached out on an Elantra N. “MSRP + $1097 in accessories.”

What are the accessories on a car that hasn’t even hit the lot? pulse (that ridiculous 3rd brake light flash thing) and some all weather package.

Hyundai is gonna Hyundai…

What I particularly hate about Pulse is the fact that some low-level "technician" hacked into the wiring harness to install it, most likely using 3M Scotchlok connectors.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• 28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,388

Omg. Another dealer is asking $8000 over list. Holy moly.

2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible, 2015 Audi Q5 TDI

@roadburner said:
    What I particularly hate about Pulse is the fact that some low-level "technician" hacked into the wiring harness to install it, most likely using 3M Scotchlok connectors.

This is exactly my issue.

I'd likely take an Elantra N with the manual over a 330i; three pedals and a slick top would be dispositive.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,936

@kyfdx said:
    The 4XE, assuming no tax. If that one is taxed, then the Mach-E

Yeah only full EV is untaxed

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

Nice!

• jpp75jpp75 Member Posts: 1,535
    I met up with @breld this morning for breakfast and got a chance to drive the X5. The Phytonic blue looks even better in person, the vehicle wears it well. The interior is incredibly luxurious and well done. We had a lot of discussions on what you get for the price, this is definitely an example of getting a lot for your money.

The powertrain is very smooth, no pure EV like acceleration but certainly more than adequate for around town in EV only mode. A very impressive vehicle, and I've already called dibs on it when he sells. :smile:
  • tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,907
    edited January 2022

@jpp75 said:
    I met up with @breld this morning for breakfast and got a chance to drive the X5. The Phytonic blue looks even better in person, the vehicle wears it well. The interior is incredibly luxurious and well done. We had a lot of discussions on what you get for the price, this is definitely an example of getting a lot for your money.

The powertrain is very smooth, no pure EV like acceleration but certainly more than adequate for around town in EV only mode. A very impressive vehicle, and I've already called dibs on it when he sells. :smile:

You’ll be enjoying it by St Patty’s day :D

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• mjfloyd1mjfloyd1 Member Posts: 3,271

@venture said:
    Train your dog. :)

Not gonna happen. I was offered a low trade in and meager discount or MSRP on new.

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,518
    painful day today. My credit account paperwork came, and I had to sign up for auto debit. Good thing it is only 3 years.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,308
    @stickguy,
    On Thursday I wired the rest our our house down payment, about the same as 4 nicely equipped Mavericks. :s
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
    good luck. at least it is going toward something substantial!

conveniently I got the confirmation statement that my pension has been processed. So that arrives for the first time 1 day after FMC takes a chunk of our bank account. A net positive.

• jpp75jpp75 Member Posts: 1,535
    tjc78 said:

You’ll be enjoying it by St Patty’s day :D

:D

Therein lies the problem, I'm enjoying the Defender too much to get rid of it. So unless @breld holds onto this one for at least the better part of a year I may not be ready when it becomes available.
  • xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,790
    jpp75 said:

Therein lies the problem, I'm enjoying the Defender too much to get rid of it. So unless @breld holds onto this one for at least the better part of a year I may not be ready when it becomes available.

Well, if it does come up, just remind yourself the brand you now own and let the rational side of your brain take over. ;)
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • tifightertifighter Member Posts: 3,604
    Here's a take some of you might be interested in-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kdwtR-wCa7M

23 Civic Type-R / 22 MDX Type-S / 21 Tesla Y LR / 03 Montero Ltd

Our first 2.0 ecoboost was my wife's 2013 Escape. It never felt like it lacked power.
    Still doesn't, actually.
    unearthed the Maverick for the first time in a week (I was sick last weekend and early part of this week). Actually got up to 113 miles on it in only 15 days! And it had about 35 when I got home from the dealer.

anyway, continues to impress as we get used to it. I even had to maneuver it around a mall parking lot and get in and out of a tight spot. Not a big hassle, but I could definitely say I would not really want a truck from a bigger size class for doing that on a regular basis.

Truck loafs along on the highway. Barely notice you are moving at 70-75. and the heater seems like it could easily handle an Expedition.

@stickguy said:
    Used car prices may crash. or they may go up. or stay flat.

I can guarantee that.

Well, I’ll guarantee used cars stay used throughout 2022.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

The ghost of John Madden would be proud of all of you.

• au1994au1994 Member Posts: 3,381
    100% of the shots never taken always miss.

2021 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4xe Granite Crystal over Saddle
    2024 Audi Q5 Premium Plus Daytona Gray over Beige
    2017 BMW X1 Jet Black over Mocha

• corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,262
    Regarding heater performance, I observed that in the late 1990s-early 2000s, a lot of manufacturers set up their HVAC to receive only a trickle of warm coolant (or none at all) until the engine was almost fully warmed up, the thinking being that you wanted as much coolant as possible to recirculate in the engine to get it warmed up and improve MPGs. It also seems like they have figured out some sort of workaround on a lot of newer vehicles so that they provide cabin heat more quickly.
    I think they added heated seats and steering wheels, which works for me.
  • jmonroe1jmonroe1 Member Posts: 7,544
    corvette said:

Regarding heater performance, I observed that in the late 1990s-early 2000s, a lot of manufacturers set up their HVAC to receive only a trickle of warm coolant (or none at all) until the engine was almost fully warmed up, the thinking being that you wanted as much coolant as possible to recirculate in the engine to get it warmed up and improve MPGs. It also seems like they have figured out some sort of workaround on a lot of newer vehicles so that they provide cabin heat more quickly.

I think that it could be that smaller engines (less mass) warm up faster. My 5.0 V8 Genny takes a good bit longer to heat up compared to Mrs. j’s 3.6 Legacy 6 cylinder.

jmonroe
    '15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
    corvette said:

For some reason my E24 M6 would put out heat almost immediately, which I thought was unusual considering that the S38 was literally a detuned racing engine.

• ventureventure Member Posts: 2,872
    mjfloyd1 said:

@venture said:

Not gonna happen. I was offered a low trade in and meager discount or MSRP on new.

Boo!

That happened to me one time at a dealer that I had bought multiple cars from. It may have been their first pencil, but it was the last pencil for me. I have never bought another car from them.

2020 Ascent Limited, 2024 Subaru Legacy Sport

• tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,907

The manufacturers want the engines to heat up as fast as possible since they run cleaner at operating temperature. The heater operating faster is just a benefit of that.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

venture said:

mjfloyd1 said:

@venture said:

Boo!

That happened to me one time at a dealer that I had bought multiple cars from. It may have been their first pencil, but it was the last pencil for me. I have never bought another car from them.

Probably for the best. Every time I get a BMW, I piss and moan that the dealer is 45 minutes away and the service sucks. Once they returned a car with hail damage and just left hoping that I would not notice...
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,421

@qbrozen - congrats! Looks great! Enjoy!

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,085
    Where are the gold wheels?

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

@qbrozen - congratulations. Looks good.

This was a purchase at MSRP IIRC? Not much mark up on Subies IIRC

• MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,042
    The only color to get for a WRX

Looks sharp! Congrats

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• dad23dad23 Member Posts: 870
    Congrats @qbrozen B)
  • au1994au1994 Member Posts: 3,381
    Looks great @qbrozen!

2021 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4xe Granite Crystal over Saddle
    2024 Audi Q5 Premium Plus Daytona Gray over Beige
    2017 BMW X1 Jet Black over Mocha

very sharp looking. love the color. I see the ML is home. Working like new after all the time and money invested?

What’s your anticipated costs for this one, @qbrozen?

Thank you.

The WR Blue looks better in person than the pics. Very happy with the choice.

Yes, straight MSRP plus a $799 doc fee, so it is a little “marked up” when accounting for that, and then the $375 shipping. So kind of like paying $775 over, but that’s still $2225 less than the 2nd best offer I had.

First time driving this generation. The clutch is very odd. It starts to grab early but there is a big transition from where it starts grabbing to where it finishes. So, for the first few attempts, and when trying to shift fast, you feel it engaging and then let off, at which point it bucks violently. Takes some work to keep the foot lifting slowly after that initial bite. It continues in this manner through the first 3 gears. The handling is FANTASTIC. My wife says the feel from the passenger side reminds her of the 135 I had.

As for the Benz… well, it is not completely out of the woods. TPMS still not functioning and now yesterday the CEL came back on. Lean condition in bank 1. SIGH. I think there is a good chance his patching of the intake manifold is not as strong as he hoped. I texted him when it happened, but no answer yet. It runs great. Just those pesky warning lights.

• oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,646
    tjc78 said:

The manufacturers want the engines to heat up as fast as possible since they run cleaner at operating temperature. The heater operating faster is just a benefit of that.

Can anyone remember when cars had that crude heat riser on the manifold to get warm air faster but would wear out and rattle?

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,147
    I believe you're talking about the thermostatic units that were on the exhaust manifolds that closed partly when the car was cold and forced air through the intake manifold under the carburetor to warm up the air and improve the evaporation of the gasoline going into the warm manifold and the cylinders?

Or the thermostatic vanes that were on the air intake for the air going into the carburetor. They closed and much of the air being sucked in was from a space over the exhaust manifold. The exhaust manifolds heated up in a few seconds after the car started, so the carb got warmer air and better fuel evaporation quicker.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

qbrozen said:

Is that a paint run I see on the rear bumper? You won’t be able to flip it until you buff that out.

Still looks good. Good luck with it.

jmonroe
    '15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
  • rayainswrayainsw Member Posts: 3,192
    qbrozen -
    Congrats!
    - Ray
    Many blue cars here recently...
    2022 X3 M40i

tjc78 said:

Can anyone remember when cars had that crude heat riser on the manifold to get warm air faster but would wear out and rattle?
    I'm old. but not that old.

just noticed on the WRX, that is the most hideous front plate mounting that I can recall seeing in a long time.

• sdasda Member Posts: 6,977
    edited January 2022

tjc78 said:

Yes! My 76 Sunbird V6 heat riser would rattle or make a ratcheting sound after every shift or on/off the throttle. A so- called mechanic I took it to disconnected it somehow and only made it worse. Cold weather drive-ability went from fair to poor. In temps above 50 it was fine. As a college student with limited funds I left it alone.

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

• cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,504
    jmonroe1 said:

Is that a paint run I see on the rear bumper? You won’t be able to flip it until you buff that out.

Well, I went back and looked, twice in fact. I don't see a rear view of the vehicle. I clearly need help.

'08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester

jmonroe1 said:

Well, I went back and looked, twice in fact. I don't see a rear view of the vehicle. I clearly need help.

So what’s new? B)

jmonroe
    qbrozen said:

Thank you.

The WR Blue looks better in person than the pics. Very happy with the choice.

Time to update the sig line again; I'm sure it's tough to keep up at the moment. :D

2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250

I believe you're talking about the thermostatic units that were on the exhaust manifolds that closed partly when the car was cold and forced air through the intake manifold under the carburetor to warm up the air and improve the evaporation of the gasoline going into the warm manifold and the cylinders?

Or the thermostatic vanes that were on the air intake for the air going into the carburetor. They closed and much of the air being sucked in was from a space over the exhaust manifold. The exhaust manifolds heated up in a few seconds after the car started, so the carb got warmer air and better fuel evaporation quicker.

The intake on my van had the input line running from a bracket that mounted on the exhaust pipe, just where it connected to the manifold. While I'm sure the extra heat helped the fuel/air mix in the carburetor, the restrictive air flow didn't do the vehicle any favors any other time!

Perhaps sadly, I kept it in its original setup until two summers ago, when my son and I were doing some tune-up work on it while he was first learning to drive. I ended up pulling that whole air cleaner off the vehicle and putting a high-flow system on it that must have boosted the power of the engine by around 50%. I dare say that old beast even has a little spunk now. It might be grumpy if I tried to start it in sub-freezing temperatures, but that probably hasn't happened in two decades (or more) at this point, so I'm not too worried about it.