Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Real-World Trade-In Values

Comments

• 28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,333

I probably won’t do anything, but it just feels like I’m peaking on equity on this thing.

2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible
  • dad23dad23 Member Posts: 866
    qbrozen said:

‘21 double cab v6 offroad averages about $46k. Not noticeable diff on ‘22s yet.

Hmm, mine has less than 5k miles on it, 2021, I could get $46 for it on trade???
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,175

I probably won’t do anything, but it just feels like I’m peaking on equity on this thing.

I think it's a perfectly reasonable plan.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

@kyfdx said:
    I think it's a perfectly reasonable plan.

Spoken like an enabler. Hahaha.

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,433
    well, according to some here, you should stop on the drive home from the dealer to trade your new car in.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,889

@dad23 said:
    Hmm, mine has less than 5k miles on it, 2021, I could get $46 for it on trade???

Not necessarily. He asked for 1k miles and asked for auction values. Trade and auction are not the same thing. But, as we keep saying, it is a crazy market.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• sdasda Member Posts: 6,934
    stickguy said:

well, according to some here, you should stop on the drive home from the dealer to trade your new car in.

Are you picking up the Maverick today?

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

edited December 2021

For a friend who doesn’t understand the concept of an inflated used car market….

What’s a fair price for a 2016 Macan Turbo with 31k miles? Blue over Gray. Does seem to have a minor hit on CarFax. Seattle area.

For a friend who doesn’t understand the concept of an inflated used car market….

What’s a fair price for a 2016 Macan Turbo with 31k miles? Blue over Gray. Does seem to have a minor hit on CarFax. Seattle area.

$6k more than last year.

Probably looking at $54k, give or take.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,236
    Seems steep for a five year old Tiguan!

@corvette said:

In fairness, A Tiguan with a 6 cylinder turbo.

sda said:

stickguy said:

Are you picking up the Maverick today?
    safely in the garage. And I resisted the temptation to stop at Carmax when I drove past on the way home.

@28firefighter said:

@corvette said:

Plus adaptive suspension, better seats, better materials inside all around, better looking by a ridiculously wide margin, and more electronic doodads than I can count.

Seems to be priced on par with an S7, so could look at it that way, too. About as similar to that as to a Tiguan.

• andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,729
    qbrozen said:

@28firefighter said:

@corvette said:

Plus adaptive suspension, better seats, better materials inside all around, better looking by a ridiculously wide margin, and more electronic doodads than I can count.

Seems to be priced on par with an S7, so could look at it that way, too. About as similar to that as to a Tiguan.

Don't forget the Macan has a real DSG or PDK I do believe. Not even the SQ5 got that.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
    Curious about the price on this one when you have a chance:

https://denver.clscars.com/used/BMW/2015-BMW-X5-6bf86b010a0e09af0e6779a86c4bc297.htm

Hoping to go see it this afternoon or tomorrow, thanks!

@dad23 said:

https://denver.clscars.com/used/BMW/2015-BMW-X5-6bf86b010a0e09af0e6779a86c4bc297.htm

Seems cheap. I mean, it isn’t TOO cheap. But only $750 above dealer auction value. Get it checked over.

• roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,312
    dad23 said:

My advice:
    1. PPI
    2. See if you can obtain the service history
    3. Make sure that you can live with those seats. I HATE all BMW seats save the sports seats.

If you buy it change the coolant, ATF, and transfer case fluid(have the TC adaptations reset at the same time) if they haven been already.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

Thanks guys, turns out it wasn't worth a trip to go see it. The broker we got the Tacoma from emailed me saying it was pretty rough. The leather had several tears and the rear bumper needed some body work. So, we search on...
  • slackerslacker Member Posts: 4
    Looking at a private party sale on a 2019 MB E450 Wagon (product date July 2018). 14K miles, clean condition, no accidents. Seems pretty standard wrt options (imitation rather than genuine leather), but happy to chime in on any specific options that move the needle (anything I can get from VIN decoder). Would love to know what seller can expect if they trade in so I know where I can start negotiations. Thanks!
  • cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,498
    Color, location? These affect auction values.
    '08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester
    Re the E450: CAVANSITE BLUE METALLIC over beige imitation leather, location is DC/MD/VA metro area.
    tough to judge, as they are rare and come up only once every couple of months, it seems. Most over the past year have been in the high 50s. I'm thinking MAYBE $56k as a trade.

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,175
    qbrozen said:

tough to judge, as they are rare and come up only once every couple of months, it seems. Most over the past year have been in the high 50s. I'm thinking MAYBE $56k as a trade.

Isn't this what @fintail leases?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

qbrozen said:

Thanks very much. I'll report back on final price if I pull trigger.
  • fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,092
    Yep, and that's roughly the same as a couple online quotes I received - makes buying out my 45K residual an easy decision. Low mileage helps, they seem to retail in the 60K range depending on where and what.

Now with MB having discontinued the non-cladded wagon for the bland USDM and apparently abandoning wagons altogether after the next E, there might be some demand for the last ones.

Important options on that car are lighting package, warmth and comfort package, driver's assist, pano. I'd wager the number of cars with real leather is far under half, at least in this market.
    kyfdx said:

qbrozen said:

Isn't this what @fintail leases?
    edited January 2022
    IMO, people who have had a BMW or Merc with their extremely high quality fake leather realize how good it is and probably don't care whether a prospective replacement BMW/MB has the real thing or not.
    I really like the vegan faux leather in my Maverick (activeX?) really comfy, looks good, and reasonably soft. Seems more like leather than vinyl.

My VW GLI had VW-tex or something (it was a downgrade from the real leather in the more expensive GTI), and it was fine, although a notch below the MB/BMW vinyl.
    Exactly right. My car has Tex, and I am fine with it. Easy to maintain, and it looks the part. I've told passengers that it isn't real leather, and some can't believe it - the average person can't tell. MB leather is nice, but on cars often built to lease it simply isn't included as it isn't a cheap option (apparently 1620 on a new E for standard leather, 3K for nappa, 5K for "exclusive" nappa).
    corvette said:

IMO, people who have had a BMW or Merc with their extremely high quality fake leather realize how good it is and probably don't care whether a prospective replacement BMW/MB has the real thing or not.

Even the worst modern vinyl is better than a lot of the "leather" of the 1980s-1990s, which looked like it was clear-coated.
    edited January 2022

The Passat has the VW-tex. It is a perforated vinyl that feels substantial, somewhat supple and looks nice. I have seen VWs with 200k+ and the vinyl still looks new. I prefer leather yet I believe vinyl holds up better long term without any real maintenance.

Tex in the wagon, at 3 years old it still looks virtually new, and one can find junkyard MBs with intact Tex:

sda said:

The Passat has the VW-tex. It is a perforated vinyl that feels substantial, somewhat supple and looks nice. I have seen VWs with 200k+ and the vinyl still looks new. I prefer leather yet I believe vinyl holds up better long term without any real maintenance.

nice color combo on the wagon. I still can't get used to that dashboard though.

edited January 2022
    I like Nappa Leather as it makes other leathers seem kind of cheap. I wonder if Nappa has a strong hold on quality standards for leather manufacturing, or if it's just a marketing thing that caught on. I think the Koreans have started to use it; haven't checked them out to see if it's the real deal or not.

I know Acura was using very high quality leather for a while recently, they gave it a different name; I think Milano.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
    I very much like the widescreen display, especially having it integrated rather than a cliched jutting tablet.

That's another good option for a MY 2019 car like the OP was looking at. That year maybe no more than half had the feature, but I think it became standard for 2020. 2020 might end up becoming a rarity, the final year of a non-cladded wagon in this market.
    stickguy said:

nice color combo on the wagon. I still can't get used to that dashboard though.

Struck out on last MB wagon (seller too shady, felt it could be stolen), so looking again. Ballpark trade in on a 2017 e400 4matic wagon, Canvasite Blue Metallic, max options (pano, AMG style/wheels, ....). 43K miles, one owner, dealer maintained. In Maryland, 20816 zip. TIA.
  • oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,559

(1) By the time they deliver it to his house (of course it will be driven by a retired guy. They never hire hot rodding kids OR OLDFARMER50) it will have a tick under 39K miles. This will cost him 200 bucks. :D
    First time I look in here for months and what do I find? I’m the topic of discussion.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 240,057
    Found this with a cursory search.

Good price or no?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

Michaell said:

Good price or no?

Those are nice cars, but do not touch. Unless already replaced, the engines suffer from many mechanical maladies and tend to burn oil on a swill basis.

• MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 240,057
    sda said:

Michaell said:

Good price or no?

Those are nice cars, but do not touch. Unless already replaced, the engines suffer from many mechanical maladies and tend to burn oil on a swill basis.
    Bah.

Though I can't say I'm surprised by this.

If it's too good to be true, it probably is.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

@sda said:

Only issue I am aware of is the cam follower. Need to inspect prior to purchase. If no existing damage to the cam, then it is good to go, and just replace that follower periodically moving forward.

But, I wouldn’t want the DSG personally. If you don’t mind it, need to make sure fluid has been changed at 40k, and then you’ll need to do it again at 80k. And, IIRC, that needs diff fluid changed at the same time.

edited April 2022
    @qbrozen - pretty sure the 2008 A4 Quattro had a conventional hydraulic automatic with a Tiptronic shifter. The 2008 or 2009 FWD models got CVTs with fake shift points. I think the 2.0T might have had a timing belt back then, but I'm not certain. If so, it's definitely due for replacement due to age.

Shifter looked like tip, but thought they moved on by then. I’d rather have that than the DSG, but personally would only take a manual.

edited April 2022
    qbrozen said:

Shifter looked like tip, but thought they moved on by then. I’d rather have that than the DSG, but personally would only take a manual.

Yes, the A4's didn't upgrade to DSG's until the B9 actually "2017 models and up."

Personally, I'd take a DSG over any slush-box automatic every time. Over a million cars it might be more expensive, but so far for me it's only been maintenance. In fact, the slush-box auto in the Neon cost me more in my smaller sample size. Of course, if I'm ever hit with a DSG repair/replacement, I'm aware they are more expensive (and the Neon repairs will seem cheap in comparison even adjusting for inflation probably), but the performance gains are well worth it; no brainer to me.

So far the only real reason someone has shown me a slushbox might be preferred is for applications involving well north of 500 lb/ft. of Torque (as the R8 V10 uses a DSG smartly; as does the 5 Cylinder 400 HP powerplant in the TTRS and RS3).

The RS6 and RS7 and RSQ8 being those extra high torque outliers.
  • FallhammerFallhammer Member Posts: 15
    edited April 2022
    Hello Qbrozen
    I know it's a crazy market on late model units, but what do you think might be a reasonable offer on this M4 Convertible?
    2019 w/17.6k miles
    black/brown
    6 spd manual
    comp M pkg, executive pkg.
    Clean Carfax
    NC 28273

Thanks in advance
    Sorry, but I no longer have access to the data.
    My best advice right now is to plug the info into Carmax and Vroom and see what they would pay for it, then add for profit and expenses.

• FallhammerFallhammer Member Posts: 15
    edited April 2022
    qbrozen said:

Sorry, but I no longer have access to the data.
    My best advice right now is to plug the info into Carmax and Vroom and see what they would pay for it, then add for profit and expenses.

What do you usually set as a reasonable markup range for dealer profit and expenses if you don't mind me asking? Thank you qbrozen.

@Fallhammer said:
    What do you usually set as a reasonable markup range for dealer profit and expenses if you don't mind me asking? Thank you qbrozen.

Used to be $2500. These days? Geesh. Probably more like $3k-$3500. CPO is more like $4k-$5k.

• magnumekmagnumek Member Posts: 53
    edited May 2022

Hello. I want to sell a 2020 Mercedes-Benz Sprinter 2500 Cargo Van extended version 170" WB Crew with 3.0L v6 7A Turbodiesel. Has 192k miles.

Fully loaded, High Roof and Wide rear door version. 1 owner. Used on long distance Hwy's. Maintained regularly.

Equiped with optional features such as:

• Active Brake Assist
    • Hold function
    • 10.25in touchscreen with Navigation and LTE
    • Hill-start assist
    • Active Distance Assist DISTRONIC
    • Heated mirrors
    • Heated seats
    • Blind spot alert
    • Crosswind Assist
    • Traffic Sign Assist
    • Active Lane Keeping Assist
    • Attenstion Assist
    • Parking package with 360° camera
    • Rain sensor
    • Headlight Assist
    • Electrical seats
    • Engageable all-wheel drive with gear reduction
    • Acoustic package
    • Wooden floor
      and more...

It is very difficult to determine the values due to the high mileage. I just paid off the loan which was still at $55k so it would be sad to sell it lower than that. Could you please help with determining the real value?

@qbrozen - how close is this to the one you have on order?