Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Edmunds Members - Cars and Conversations

Comments

• driver100driver100 Member Posts: 31,975

abacomike said:

A few minutes ago, I went into my profile here on this site to edit some things that were outdated and noticed that I received 3 ABUSES for three comments I made in late August and early September of 2021. The first post was about the window sticker on my G90 regarding 3 year "maintenance included" and the other 2 posts were about my nephew retiring from his current position in Raleigh and moving up to the Boston area to teach interns. There were no comments that I could determine would cause someone to give me an abuse check, none at all. So I have to assume the moderator(s) considered those three posts worthy of an abuse check or they would have removed them. Truly pathetic in my humble opinion, truly pathetic!

More likely some ham fingers hit the wrong button by mistake. I can’t see anyone getting triggered by those posts unless they were really sensitive. I think someone gave me an ABUSE for posting a Scotty video once so who knows.
    I just gave you a FLAG for mentioning his name. :D

2017 MB E400 , 2015 MB GLK350, 2014 MB C250

sda said:

I saw this last night, poor lighting.

My question is, "Why does that Viper look so ugly when some of them look pretty good?"

• explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,298
    Here's a temporary mailbox solution across the street.

2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,930

@oldfarmer50 said:
    More likely some ham fingers hit the wrong button by mistake. I can’t see anyone getting triggered by those posts unless they were really sensitive. I think someone gave me an ABUSE for posting a Scotty video once so who knows.

I have flagged those videos as spam several times. You are welcome.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• jmonroe1jmonroe1 Member Posts: 7,539

@driver100 said:
    My question is, "Why does that Viper look so ugly when some of them look pretty good?"

Probably because stripes improve cars but not shirts.

jmonroe

'15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)

@explorerx4 said:
    Here's a temporary mailbox solution across the street.

Why not just glue it back onto the mailbox post where it belongs?

jmonroe

'15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
  • snakeweaselsnakeweasel Member Posts: 19,324
    driver100 said:

sda said:

I saw this last night, poor lighting.

Come to think of it that car sort of looks like a clown shoe.

2011 Hyundai Sonata, 2014 BMW 428i convertible, 2015 Honda CTX700D

• mjfloyd1mjfloyd1 Member Posts: 3,269

I thought the BMW M Z3 coupe was the clown shoe??

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/2000-bmw-m-coupe-59/

jmonroe1 said:

@driver100 said:

jmonroe

I told you....I ditched that shirt!

I was thinking of buying one like this though;

@mjfloyd1 said:

The Z3 was called something else, something I cannot post here.

Got into work today and there is a Caddy SUV sitting out front with the passenger side of its hood smashed in and the passenger side of the windshield shattered. Seems that earlier today a tire flew off another vehicle and hit him. The driver seemed OK.

• tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,900

@driver100 said:

1965 called and wants their shirt back.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

@tjc78 said:

@driver100 said:

The 80's called to say "Stop using our insult".

• graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    THIS AND THAT…

We’ll be heading to TN tomorrow. Will be a nice little road trip to break up the winter doldrums (although, the GF was looking at cruises on line last night). Weather will be clear, but cold. Perfect football weather. Traveling in a buddy’s Escalade and another’s Toyota Highlander. Should be a comfy trip. Packing a cooler with snacks, sandwiches and libations tonight.

Delivery services…..just bought a PURPLE mattress. MAttress is great. But, their 3rd party delivery service was woeful. They showed up 7 hours AFTER the latest they said they’d show up. I paid for “WHITE GLOVE” delivery. But, the delivery guys did not want to remove the old mattress until I told them to take the new one back downstairs as I was refusing delivery. On top of that, I have a big 4 poster bed. These new mattresses are HEAVY. They tried to balance the new one on one of the posters on my big 4 poster bed. They broke one of the posts. Purple gave me $300 (which was actually quite generous) for the delivery guys’ screw ups. But, getting the delivery company to fix the poster is like trying to hold water. They won’t answer their phones. My emails are bounced back to me. It’s going to cost $750 to get a new post and have it replaced. So, here I go back to small claims court.

Learned my lesson on Appliances and HVAC. I use a local company (Recker and Boerger). Service is top notch. Any issues (which have been few and far between) are dealt with promptly and corrected.

“Scotty” videos….been a long time since I saw one. I think the last title I saw from him said he was leaving YouTube? Retiring? Moving? Not sure what happened to him.
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
  • carnaughtcarnaught Member Posts: 3,497
    edited January 2022
    @graphicguy, we’ve had a Purple mattress for 2 1/2 yrs and love it. It’s the middle firmness, the Purple 2 with the Purple 3 being extra firm and the most expensive. After having sagging and other problems with the more expensive Sleep Number and then Stearns & Foster, we like this one the best so far at holding up, and it was the least expensive of the three brands. Also, it stays cooler than the others being a hybrid of cube configured memory foam with coils underneath. We also liked the newest generation TemperPedic which is much more expensive but doesn’t heat you up like the older models.

(Uh-oh, now I’m probably going to get a Promote ding for this posting.)
    driver100 said:

jmonroe1 said:

@driver100 said:

jmonroe

Save your money. Put it towards a back up camera.

jmonroe
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,681
    @carnaught We have a hybrid mattress, as well. Probably getting close to replacement time. We really like it. (not Purple)

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• mjfloyd1mjfloyd1 Member Posts: 3,269

@kyfdx said:
    @carnaught We have a hybrid mattress, as well. Probably getting close to replacement time. We really like it. (not Purple)

Probably kinda yellowish by now… :)

@mjfloyd1 said:

@kyfdx said:

Probably kinda yellowish by now… :)

Eww…just to clarify that it is @kyfdx talking about his mattress replacement, not me😗.

• graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    carnaught said:

@graphicguy, we’ve had a Purple mattress for 2 1/2 yrs and love it. It’s the middle firmness, the Purple 2 with the Purple 3 being extra firm and the most expensive. After having sagging and other problems with the more expensive Sleep Number and then Stearns & Foster, we like this one the best so far at holding up, and it was the least expensive of the three brands. Also, it stays cooler than the others being a hybrid of cube configured memory foam with coils underneath. We also liked the newest generation TemperPedic which is much more expensive but doesn’t heat you up like the older models.

(Uh-oh, now I’m probably going to get a Promote ding for this posting.)

Love mine, too. It’s the 3. I wanted a little more firmness.

Looked at the Temperpedics. I thought the Purple was expensive. I went into sticker shock on the Temperpedics. GF liked the Purple more, so that sealed the deal.

Looked at the “big brands” (Sealy, Beautyrest, Sterns, etc) and some of the other online brands (Cloud, Ghost, etc). Kept coming back to Purple.

Purple was great to work with. Their delivery folks (Pilot Delivery) are terrible.
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
    edited January 2022
    tjc78 said:

@driver100 said:

lol....but it is a good "Charlie" shirt:

• andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,729
    sda said:

A fairly clean and serviceable 2.0 turbo engine compartment on the Passat. It runs perfectly on the recommended 87 octane.

The Tiguan has the 2.0T tuned for 87, but it's a bit of a dog and slow. How's the Q5 with Premium in comparison to the Passat?
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
  • andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,729
    edited January 2022
    abacomike said:

A few minutes ago, I went into my profile here on this site to edit some things that were outdated and noticed that I received 3 ABUSES for three comments I made in late August and early September of 2021. The first post was about the window sticker on my G90 regarding 3 year "maintenance included" and the other 2 posts were about my nephew retiring from his current position in Raleigh and moving up to the Boston area to teach interns. There were no comments that I could determine would cause someone to give me an abuse check, none at all. So I have to assume the moderator(s) considered those three posts worthy of an abuse check or they would have removed them. Truly pathetic in my humble opinion, truly pathetic!

There should be an "over reporting of perfectly good posts" count to abuse those that are abusing the abuse button. 3 strikes with false reports and you're out! Good riddens.

Feel free to abuse this post too.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion

Dumb to do this on a public road… but I’m impressed

https://vm.tiktok.com/TTPdrbCcLo/

andres3 said:

abacomike said:

There should be an "over reporting of perfectly good posts" count to abuse those that are abusing the abuse button. 3 strikes with false reports and you're out! Good riddens.

Feel free to abuse this post too.
    I did but I hacked into @snakeweasel’s account so he’d get the credit. B)

jmonroe
    tjc78 said:

I can guarantee you he can’t do that again. Maybe @roadburner but not that guy.

jmonroe
  • abacomikeabacomike Member Posts: 12,258

@graphicguy said:
    Love mine, too. It’s the 3. I wanted a little more firmness.

Looked at the Temperpedics. I thought the Purple was expensive. I went into sticker shock on the Temperpedics. GF liked the Purple more, so that sealed the deal.

Looked at the “big brands” (Sealy, Beautyrest, Sterns, etc) and some of the other online brands (Cloud, Ghost, etc). Kept coming back to Purple.

Purple was great to work with. Their delivery folks (Pilot Delivery) are terrible.

I agree regarding “sticker shock” for Tempurpedic, but I waited for a big sale and got a queen with adjustable head and leg frame controlled by remote about 1-1/2 years ago. Doctor gave me an RX for an adjustable bed frame and mattress because of my back so they did not charge me sales tax. Saved about $1500 off regular retail.

I don’t know how I could have handled the pain coming home from the hospital twice in the past 2 months without the new bed.

Good luck with your new mattress set GG.

2021 Genesis G90

• qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,930
    tjc78 said:

notice the bumper has already been replaced at least once.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,298
    It looks like the car sitting at the light got run into from behind by the red car.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
    edited January 2022

@qbrozen said:
    notice the bumper has already been replaced at least once.

Yeah I figured someone would catch that. Too funny.

tjc78 said:

Wouldn't it have been easier just to slow down and make a right turn instead? :D

btw....I guess he went through a stale amber light as the light just changed to green going the other way. I wonder if he did it on purpose or if it was all by coincidence, how did he know there'd be enough room for him behind the first car at the light.

I like the new flashing yellow arrows to tell you you can still turn left if you yield to oncoming traffic. I don't remember those being in Florida 2 years ago. Now they are common. For example at a street I go through there are 3 lanes, one for left turns, one to go straight through, and one for right turns. They start out...all 3 are red. The left arrow flashes green as an advanced green. The middle and right lanes eventually go solid green....OK to go straight or right, and the left arrow light goes to a red arrow, turning left not allowed, then it goes flashing yellow so you can still turn left when it is clear....ingenious. Are these being used anywhere else?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FYLLFoB0rVc

driver100 said:

I like the new flashing yellow arrows to tell you you can still turn left if you yield to oncoming traffic. I don't remember those being in Florida 2 years ago. Now they are common. For example at a street I go through there are 3 lanes, one for left turns, one to go straight through, and one for right turns. They start out...all 3 are red. The left arrow flashes green as an advanced green. The middle and right lanes eventually go solid green....OK to go straight or right, and the left arrow light goes to a red arrow, turning left not allowed, then it goes flashing yellow so you can still turn left when it is clear....ingenious. Are these being used anywhere else?

I see them being used here in IL and I have seen them in WI. I don't like them as yellow traffic lights traditionally mean that the light is going to turn red but any cross traffic still has a red. A normal green light and no red green arrow tells you you can still turn right if you yield to oncoming traffic.

We’ve had the blinking yellow arrows here for 10 yrs., maybe more.

driver100 said:

I see them being used here in IL and I have seen them in WI. I don't like them as yellow traffic lights traditionally mean that the light is going to turn red but any cross traffic still has a red. A normal green light and no red green arrow tells you you can still turn right if you yield to oncoming traffic.
    Good point...I have seen drivers confused. The left signal goes from flashing green to a yellow, then red, then when it starts flashing yellow the guy in front sees two green lights for traffic going straight....and thinks he can't turn because he has a yellow arrow. Duh.
    But, I like them. Before you could have an advanced green, then it went red, you couldn't turn even when there was no traffic coming in the opposite direction.

• oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,644
    mjfloyd1 said:

The price certainly isn’t funny.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,644
    driver100 said:

We’ve had them in NY for about 10 years but people still don’t understand them.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 240,955
    We’ve got those traffic signals here in CO as well.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,078
    No flashing yellows here. But traffic planners/engineers here are becoming allergic to signalized intersections and are instead building roundabouts wherever they can, which only other traffic planners like and which nobody else likes or can understand how to use.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,507

I like circles. In the right location. Much better than sitting for a pointless light.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

driver100 said:

driver100 said:

Good point...I have seen drivers confused. The left signal goes from flashing green to a yellow, then red, then when it starts flashing yellow the guy in front sees two green lights for traffic going straight....and thinks he can't turn because he has a yellow arrow. Duh.
    When I first came on them I was a bit confused because normally if you have a yellow arrow it's just like having a yellow light. Meaning that the light is about to turn red and traffic crossing the line of travel has a red and will not have a green until either the turn arrow turns red or disappears.
    driver100 said:

But, I like them. Before you could have an advanced green, then it went red, you couldn't turn even when there was no traffic coming in the opposite direction.

Well if you had no arrow, red or green, you would be able to turn when there was no traffic coming the other direction (which is why I think at best the flashing yellow is unneeded). The only time you couldn't would be if there was a red arrow. However there are intersections in the city of Chicago that don't have a red turn arrow but have a sign that states "Left turn on green arrow only". Around here I don't think they ever changed an intersection that had a red left turn arrow to one with a flashing yellow. Also most of the intersections that have the red arrow when through traffic has the green are for left turns that utilize a double left turn lane.

ab348 said:

No flashing yellows here. But traffic planners/engineers here are becoming allergic to signalized intersections and are instead building roundabouts wherever they can, which only other traffic planners like and which nobody else likes or can understand how to use.

We are starting to get those diverging diamond interchanges that a lot of people hate.

stickguy said:

I like circles. In the right location. Much better than sitting for a pointless light.

There is a subdivision near me that has small traffic circles at alternating intersections for the residential streets as a traffic calming measure.

ab348 said:

We are starting to get those diverging diamond interchanges that a lot of people hate.
    Those are great, if you live nearby and are used to them. Very confusing for the first-timer, just getting off the freeway. They work, though.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

kyfdx said:

ab348 said:

Those are great, if you live nearby and are used to them. Very confusing for the first-timer, just getting off the freeway. They work, though.
    The one by me just seems to take longer to cross over the Interstate now with that monstrosity, I try to avoid it now.

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,507
    Haven’t seen the blinking yellow arrow around here yet. Makes sense. People tend to get confused by the arrow just going blank, as to whether that means they can turn, or only on the arrow.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

stickguy said:

Haven’t seen the blinking yellow arrow around here yet. Makes sense. People tend to get confused by the arrow just going blank, as to whether that means they can turn, or only on the arrow.

Where we live:

Light is red.
    Light changes: left turn lane gets green arrow, straight ahead lane gets green.
    End of left turn cycle: left turn signal goes solid yellow, then red. Opposite traffic moves through light.
    Approx two seconds later: left turn signal starts flashing yellow, until end, then solid yellow, then red.

Repeat

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 240,955
    kyfdx said:

stickguy said:

Where we live:

Light is red.
    Light changes: left turn lane gets green arrow, straight ahead lane gets green.
    End of left turn cycle: left turn signal goes solid yellow, then red. Opposite traffic moves through light.
    Approx two seconds later: left turn signal starts flashing yellow, until end, then solid yellow, then red.

Repeat

Yep, that's what we have around here.

I was in my old hometown last week for a doctors appt, and took the back way home. Found they have added a few traffic circles in places where they do some good.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,146
    edited January 2022

ab348 said:

We've had one here for several years. I think it's a good mental ability test to weed out
    the old folk who have problems! LOL Do the wrong thing and kapow.

I have to reallly concentrate to read the signs after having decided if I need to make a left
    turn at the intersection 1/2 mile away or if I'm going straight or doing a right turn.

I don't like roundabouts either. They all have different designs and marking signs as to
    which lane does what. One lane or two doing the circle?

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

edited January 2022

@Michaell said:
    Yep, that's what we have around here.

I was in my old hometown last week for a doctors appt, and took the back way home. Found they have added a few traffic circles in places where they do some good.

I don’t like traffic circles because the ones I’ve come across are poorly marked. So only those familiar with them can use them efficiently. Fortunately there are no traffic circles in my town but there has been talk of getting a few. But if it comes to be I’ll know how to use them but only because of familiarity. The other poor souls will just make wrong turns or spend half a day riding in circles. But then that wouldn’t be too much different from their normal driving acumen.

jmonroe