Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Edmunds Members - Cars and Conversations

Comments

• imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,132
    edited January 2022
    And you thought you had a bad day...

From this

to this

https://nypost.com/2022/01/21/mechanic-totals-3-4m-ferrari-on-test-drive/

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• driver100driver100 Member Posts: 31,964
    tjc78 said:

@stickguy

May want to sell sooner than later. My SIL is thinking of buying a house so I was showing her the various tools to calculate mortgages, etc. I haven’t been following it but the mortgage rates went up over point from a year ago. Maybe I’m wrong but if they continue to rise that has to have some impact on this wild market.

When we bought the shore house the mortgage guy said we locked in right ahead of an increase and they were told to expect more. I guess it wasn’t just BS.

Mortgage rates could only go up....and has happened now because of inflation, caused mostly by shortages of supplies and housing stock. Now it is a gamble, whether people can afford to maintain their homes - nothing is for certain.

2017 MB E400 , 2015 MB GLK350, 2014 MB C250

• oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,559
    stickguy said:

hope that works. Though it seems odd that it will close almost the whole way before reversing. Seems like if it was blocked it would not close at all.

If the leaf or cobweb is hanging from the bottom of the door it may block the sensor just before the door touches down and trigger the safety stop.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

Nice review of facts vs propaganda via the advertising. Thankx.
    I'd wondered if Prevagen's claims had any validity.

I'll save my money. Just met with my doctor today and in US
    with Medicare they do a memory test every year to assess
    the state of one's abilities.

My doctor never did that, or maybe she did and I forgot. :s

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• sdasda Member Posts: 6,934

We had about 2 inches of snow. With the ground temp still higher than freezing, it is already melting even though the current temp is 20. It is pretty.

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

sda said:

We had about 2 inches of snow. With the ground temp still higher than freezing, it is already melting even though the current temp is 20. It is pretty.

That’s about all we had Monday but now it’s -4F degrees and we’re pretty much the warmest spot. Nothing is melting until Spring.

• ventureventure Member Posts: 2,860
    stickguy said:

hope that works. Though it seems odd that it will close almost the whole way before reversing. Seems like if it was blocked it would not close at all.

I had the same thing happen multiple times. One night we came home from a baseball game and the door was wide open. :o

I called the door guy and he said it was probably the limit switches need adjusted (I think). Anyway...they came the next day and messed with it for a while and couldn't get it working right so they put in a new opener. Problem solved.

2020 Ascent Limited, 2024 Subaru Legacy Sport

My grandsons (age 4 and 2) have been home from school a lot lately, so my son put their bounce house up in the basement. The dog was not impressed. :D

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,175
    The Prevagen thing is just a vitamin scam. About 20 years ago, my mother was paying for "Focus Factor", that she bought off a TV commercial. $150/mo, and you couldn't get them to stop it. Unreal.

Accept it. As you age, you'll likely lose mental acuity. Good overall health is your best protection, but you'll likely be at the mercy of your genetics.

Garage door openers.
    1998: new with house
    2009: replaced
    2020: replaced, with new garage door.

I'd guess if you are at 12 years or more, your opener could go any day.

We replaced the garage door for aesthetic reasons, mostly. They are surprisingly cheap, overall.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• abacomikeabacomike Member Posts: 12,254
    edited January 2022

@driver100 said:
    Mortgage rates could only go up....and has happened now because of inflation, caused mostly by shortages of supplies and housing stock. Now it is a gamble, whether people can afford to maintain their homes - nothing is for certain.

Same with new and used cars. I’ve been researching pricing of new and used cars here on Edmunds and other sites, and I have been unable to find pricing below MSRP on new cars. Used cars (clean w/lower miles) are going for many thousands above where they were 6+ months ago.

A good deal on a new 2022 vehicle is MSRP + dealer fees. I called the sales manager at my dealership and he said he would give me $60,000 for my 2021 G90 but he had no inventory on 2022’s except for a couple of V8’s. As I mentioned a few weeks ago, my brother had to pay MSRP for his new Mercedes GLE but got a great trade-in price for his GLC.

This is certainly not a good time to be buying a new car. And with interest rates expected to go up 4-5 times per the FED this year, it doesn’t look good for the next 12-18 months. Perhaps if semi-conductors become more plentiful and new car production increases along with the easing of inflation, things will improve.

2021 Genesis G90

• tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,849

@venture said:
    My grandsons (age 4 and 2) have been home from school a lot lately, so my son put their bounce house up in the basement. The dog was not impressed. :D

The previous owners of our place did that in the theater room for their kids. Good idea.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,849

Nothing like snow down the shore

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

edited January 2022

Jack Smith
    42 Main Street
    Bedford, Ohio

Is the text they have you look at. Then they ask you more
    questions like cite the months from December down.
    Then ask you to read the time of the wrist watch.
    And there was another question I have forgotten (imagine that).

Then they ask for you to state the name and address from
    earlier.

More prune juice?

• 28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,333

@kyfdx said:
    The Prevagen thing is just a vitamin scam. About 20 years ago, my mother was paying for "Focus Factor", that she bought off a TV commercial. $150/mo, and you couldn't get them to stop it. Unreal.

Accept it. As you age, you'll likely lose mental acuity. Good overall health is your best protection, but you'll likely be at the mercy of your genetics.

Garage door openers.

We replaced the garage door for aesthetic reasons, mostly. They are surprisingly cheap, overall.

This post covered a lot of territory.

2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible
    tjc78 said:

I'd like to see snow on the beach.

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,432
    mortgage rates are up a bit. but still having record sales. Probably because new construction volume is down, but prices on that are way up. Plus still people leaving cities.

I am not all that concerned. We are going to pay cash, or largely cash, for the next place. Even getting a $100k loan for 10 years and paying it off in 3-5, the interest rate does not matter all that much. So my philosophy is that if I missed the peak to sell, so did the seller of the next house I buy. Like a wise man once said, the only difference is the difference!

though this is why I was not willing to put a deposit on a new build last fall that would not get built for 12-18 months. That price was going to be fixed, but if the price of mine tanked, I was hosed. at least floating this way, both boats are bobbing the same.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,312

From this

to this

Crashing an Enzo is a crime against humanity. The party at fault deserves a slow and agonizing death.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

back to the garage door saga. was out running errands this morning so left the door disconnected from the opener and just down and took the car from the other side. Got back at noon and had a wide box to unload from the back seat so left the car in the driveway. A few minutes later, while eating lunch, hear a crash in the garage. go out to check, and one of the springs had snapped. Thankfully the safety wire held, so it was still up where it belonged and not swinging free.

So the question of having the door guy out has been answered. I won't mess with springs.

The problem is, the spring that broke was on the side with the good opener. so now (unless I can fix mine) we can't use either side, and that is how we always get into the house (I don't even carry a key to my front door). And I have to wait until Monday to talk to the door guy, and hope they can get out quick.

I am starting to thing this house hates us and is getting even.

• andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,729
    edited January 2022
    Haven't you all figured out yet that the real fountain of youth is a Sports Car! Instantly makes you 10-15 years younger.

The only time you are reminded of your age is when you get in and out of it.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
  • andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,729

From this

to this

Crashing an Enzo is a crime against humanity. The party at fault deserves a slow and agonizing death.

Probably didn't realize summer tires don't work well at 3 degrees.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
    door update: brushed around the door bottom and sensors to get rid of grass and cobwebs. Cleaned the lenses. Adjusted them both to make sure they were centered. Tried the door one time and it worked perfectly. Now just need to wait and see if it keeps working for a while so I have one working door!

abacomike said:

@driver100 said:

Same with new and used cars. I’ve been researching pricing of new and used cars here on Edmunds and other sites, and I have been unable to find pricing below MSRP on new cars. Used cars (clean w/lower miles) are going for many thousands above where they were 6+ months ago.

A good deal on a new 2022 vehicle is MSRP + dealer fees. I called the sales manager at my dealership and he said he would give me $60,000 for my 2021 G90 but he had no inventory on 2022’s except for a couple of V8’s. As I mentioned a few weeks ago, my brother had to pay MSRP for his new Mercedes GLE but got a great trade-in price for his GLC.

This is certainly not a good time to be buying a new car. And with interest rates expected to go up 4-5 times per the FED this year, it doesn’t look good for the next 12-18 months. Perhaps if semi-conductors become more plentiful and new car production increases along with the easing of inflation, things will improve.

That might be the perfect storm for somebody who has saved their pennies. A sudden flood of available cars due to better chip supply combined with reduced demand due to interest rate hikes. Trade-in plus cash instead of financing the difference.

Jack Smith
    42 Main Street
    Bedford, Ohio

Is the text they have you look at. Then they ask you more
    questions like cite the months from December down.
    Then ask you to read the time of the wrist watch.
    And there was another question I have forgotten (imagine that).

Then they ask for you to state the name and address from
    earlier.

More prune juice?
    My doc never presented me with that test. Once while in the waiting room they gave me a depression assessment to fill out with the other paperwork. Since I didn’t think it was any of the office staff’s business how I was feeling I refused to fill it out stating “of course I’m depressed, I’m old”. That seemed to be enough for them.

With an earlier garage door opener, the connectors that pushed onto the light sensor prongs were of an aluminum or metal that formed a corroded covering. I cleaned them and everything went back to working.

I also had trouble with the sun that could hit one of the sensor lenses in late afternoon midsummer becauseo f the sun's angle affecting the operation.

• laurasdadalaurasdada Member Posts: 4,684

driver100 said:

I went to a high school reunion in 2006, and I saw a guy who I hadn't seen for over 35 years. He came from out of town and he stayed at our home for 2 nights. We exchanged emails for about a year after, and nothing since.

Then I got this email this morning, supposedly with his name on it....is this a scam?

Hi, how are you doing today?

Sorry to bother you so early but i need your assistance.

Please get back to me as soon as you can

JOHN

Sounds like a scam but what could they gain from getting an email response?
    Haven't read through the whole thread, but thought I'd jump in:
    The scammers would know it was (at the moment) a live email address. Many more "friends in need of assistance," amongst others would likely follow.

IMHO, Driver, any unsolicited email/text/phone call from a source you aren't familiar with is 98.25% of the time is a scam. The other 1.75%, likely you don't want to talk with them anyway! ;)

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

• laurasdadalaurasdada Member Posts: 4,684
    edited January 2022
    fintail said:

Or if you are in Mass, a rotary, wicked pissah

As a 30 year resident of Mass, very few of my contemporaries would refer to any rotary as wicked pissah, eh. :p

Back in my former life in CT, I called them rotaries, too. Sometimes I'll refer to them as roundabouts, not sure why I do that. But, then again, I say y'all regularly too. Must be because I'm from southern CT.

Rotary, it's not just a club.

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

• jmonroe1jmonroe1 Member Posts: 7,460

@sda said:

As far as I’m concerned snow is no longer just pretty…it’s pretty bad. 😫😫

jmonroe

'15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
    kyfdx said:

That reminds me about another thing about Prevagen. Hmm, well maybe it will come back to me later.

After looking at all the posted photos of the snow-covered north, I must admit that the scenes are beautiful.

2021 Genesis G90

@28firefighter said:

@kyfdx said:

Garage door openers.

This post covered a lot of territory.

I thought so too but I can’t remember how it started. :'(

jmonroe

'15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
    I hear a lot of noise coming from the West. Must be all those rowdy parties getting underway in Cincinnati.

Congrats to you Bengals fans.

jmonroe
    that was a great game. and exciting finish.

• mjfloyd1mjfloyd1 Member Posts: 3,220

@imidazol97 said:

From this

to this

How is the dealership going to make that right after their mechanic crashes an Enzo?

• ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,024
    abacomike said:

After looking at all the posted photos of the snow-covered north, I must admit that the scenes are beautiful.

It’s only beautiful if you live in Florida and never have to deal with it. I hate snow and winter in general.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 240,057
    ab348 said:

abacomike said:

It’s only beautiful if you live in Florida and never have to deal with it. I hate snow and winter in general.
    @abacomike_ sounds like my sister in San Diego. I send her pictures of the snow and she's like "Oh, it's so beautiful".

Yeah, you don't have to shovel it, drive in it, walk on it ....

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

p
    IMHO, Driver, any unsolicited email/text/phone call from a source you aren't familiar with is 98.25% of the time is a scam. The other 1.75%, likely you don't want to talk with them anyway! ;)

Just over the last few days I have experienced what seems to be an epidemic of what must be scammy posts in some of the FB groups I follow. These are in groups like “This Old House” and some automotive ones. I or someone else comments on a post, and that generates a reply from a female name with an attractive profile pic saying how clever/witty/kind the reply was, and how they couldn’t send me a friend request so could I please message/friend them? That makes me block them immediately but I wonder what the scam involves.

• snakeweaselsnakeweasel Member Posts: 19,290
    edited January 2022
    venture said:

tjc78 said:

I'd like to see snow on the beach.
    There are other things i would like to see on the beach. Nudge, nudge, wink, wink.

2011 Hyundai Sonata, 2014 BMW 428i convertible, 2015 Honda CTX700D

• snakeweaselsnakeweasel Member Posts: 19,290
    stickguy said:

door update: brushed around the door bottom and sensors to get rid of grass and cobwebs. Cleaned the lenses. Adjusted them both to make sure they were centered. Tried the door one time and it worked perfectly. Now just need to wait and see if it keeps working for a while so I have one working door!

If that doesn't work try an exorcist.

2011 Hyundai Sonata, 2014 BMW 428i convertible, 2015 Honda CTX700D

ab348 said:

p

Just over the last few days I have experienced what seems to be an epidemic of what must be scammy posts in some of the FB groups I follow. These are in groups like “This Old House” and some automotive ones. I or someone else comments on a post, and that generates a reply from a female name with an attractive profile pic saying how clever/witty/kind the reply was, and how they couldn’t send me a friend request so could I please message/friend them? That makes me block them immediately but I wonder what the scam involves.
    Yeh, I got an email from this beautiful Russian woman who would like to get together with me. :p
    And she hasn't even met me.

Michaell said:

ab348 said:

abacomike said:

@abacomike_ sounds like my sister in San Diego. I send her pictures of the snow and she's like "Oh, it's so beautiful".

Yeah, you don't have to shovel it, drive in it, walk on it ....
    ....or freeze your butt off!

driver100 said:

Yeh, I got an email from this beautiful Russian woman who would like to get together with me. :p
    And she hasn't even met me.

These ones aren’t that direct. They just want a reply. I imagine they must reel in a bunch for whatever nefarious purpose they have in mind.

abacomike said:

This from a guy that only shovels sunshine. :@

jmonroe
    abacomike said:

Yes, those scenes are beautiful to ..........LOOK AT! But not necessarily to live in :(

mjfloyd1 said:

@imidazol97 said:

From this

to this

How is the dealership going to make that right after their mechanic crashes an Enzo?

I was thinking about that too. Maybe they have a couple umbrella policies.

jmonroe
  • mjfloyd1mjfloyd1 Member Posts: 3,220

@kyfdx said:

Garage door openers.

What happens if you can’t remember when you last changed your garage door or garage door opener? :)

@jmonroe1 said:

jmonroe

I’ve been known to shovel more than just sunshine!!! 🤪😜🤓

2021 Genesis G90

edited January 2022
    jmonroe1 said:

mjfloyd1 said:

@imidazol97 said:

From this

to this

I was thinking about that too. Maybe they have a couple umbrella policies.

jmonroe

There’s been a few stories where the mechanic crashes a car and the dealership tells the customer to file with his own insurance.

https://youtu.be/xSIOpCzurfo

@oldfarmer50

Good video.

The way the shop owner refuses to give any information reminds me of my son's
    experience with the tree service who cut down two Blue Spruce on his property
    instead of two pine trees on the neighbor's yard 40 feet away.

mjfloyd1 said:

@imidazol97 said:

From this

to this

I don't know anything about Enzo's but the article says rare and value went from $600K to $3.5 million.

I wonder if the shop had papers disclaiming responsibility for damages signed before work done?
    I wonder how much insurance the owner has on the vehicle?

it's not like replacing a Jeep or a Mercedes for a customer's loss.

ab348 said:

p

That sounds like the emails I used to get from “Olga” who lived in Russia and wanted to get romantically involved with me. She probably never got over me turning her down so now she’s looking for love on Facebook. :D