Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Edmunds Members - Cars and Conversations

Comments

• imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,147
    jmonroe1 said:

I hear a lot of noise coming from the West. Must be all those rowdy parties getting underway in Cincinnati.

Congrats to you Bengals fans.

jmonroe

It's been a long time for us in Bengal area.

Here's ticket from the last time Bengals were in AFC conference game at Riverfront in Cincy.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,515
    well, 1 more win each, and they can get a shot at winning the SB rematch vs. the 49ers.

I actually thought the Bengals could win, but was not expecting the upset at Lambeau.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• snakeweaselsnakeweasel Member Posts: 19,324

@imidazol97 said:
    I don't know anything about Enzo's but the article says rare and value went from $600K to $3.5 million.

I wonder if the shop had papers disclaiming responsibility for damages signed before work done?
    I wonder how much insurance the owner has on the vehicle?

it's not like replacing a Jeep or a Mercedes for a customer's loss.

I'm pretty sure waviers for damages doesn't cover willful acts or negligence.

2011 Hyundai Sonata, 2014 BMW 428i convertible, 2015 Honda CTX700D

• graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    Well….that was a hoot…….

2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
  • jmonroe1jmonroe1 Member Posts: 7,544

jmonroe1 said:

I hear a lot of noise coming from the West. Must be all those rowdy parties getting underway in Cincinnati.

Congrats to you Bengals fans.

jmonroe

It's been a long time for us in Bengal area.

Here's ticket from the last time Bengals were in AFC conference game at Riverfront in Cincy.

You should have gotten that autographed.

At least you have a ticket stub that shows you were more than likely there. I was at the Immaculate Reception Game in 1972 but since I didn’t keep my ticket stub my sons still don’t believe me when I say I was there. It seems like almost everyone that goes back that far claims they were there. Three Rivers Stadium only held 50,350 people at the time of that game but if you stood on a street corner in the downtown section of the Burgh and asked folks who look old enough to have been around back then if they were at that game you’d probably get 600,000 folks saying, “yeah, I was there”. LIARS. :@

jmonroe
    '15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)

Well….that was a hoot…….

I don’t remember you telling us you rode your bike to the game. It looks like it would take a hammer and chisel to knock that smile off your face.

Congrats, I know the feeling.

jmonroe
    '15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
    edited January 2022
    And thankx to ou
    jmonroe1 said:

At least you have a ticket stub that shows you were more than likely there. I was at the Immaculate Reception Game in 1972 but since I didn’t keep my ticket stub my sons still don’t believe me when I say I was there. It seems like almost everyone that goes back that far claims they were there. Three Rivers Stadium only held 50,350 people at the time of that game but if you stood on a street corner in the downtown section of the Burgh and asked folks who look old enough to have been around back then if they were at that game you’d probably get 600,000 folks saying, “yeah, I was there”. LIARS. :@

jmonroe

Oh NO. Not my ticket. My idea of a good football game has always been sitting on a warm couch, doing something else along with watching the game, and watching the traffic reports as Pittsburgh Steeler fans crept back to Pittsburgh in 6 inches of snow one year or watching the reports of the frozen fans leaving because it was SO cold in the stadium in Cincy. LOL

The replays on live TV then (I don't think they had them in the stadium in the 70s) were what I had to see to even understand what happened.

How we be sure they were actually Bengals fans?

Was that price $51.00 or $31.00 in 1981?

How we be sure they were actually Bengals fans?

Are you serious? Who else would dress like that?

jmonroe

Why ask us? Go ask the Bengals front office.

jmonroe
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,789
    Hard to say with it being the playoffs. But, those are upper deck seats. Probably $31

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

edited January 2022

Not sure but if you spent any money for that ticket in 1981 you were either the most optimistic person ever or you were a psychic.

Not sure but if you spent any money for that ticket in 1981 you were either the most optimistic person ever or you were a psychic.
    We went to two Super Bowls in the '80s. It's easy to mix them up. lol

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,306
    edited January 2022
    Almost another Immaculate Reception(Interception) on the Bengals/Titans game yesterday.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert

Almost another Immaculate Reception(Interception) on the Bengals/Titans game yesterday.

"almost"

The refs missed that one

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

did something weird today. Had to run out to the bank, so I took the Acura since it was sitting out in the driveway. So I went out the front door, and came back in that way. No use of the garage at all. I might not have done that in 20 years here. Yesterday I had to start pulling out keys to try and find one for the front door. I never usually bother to even carry one of those since we always just use the garage even if not using the car.

outside my backyard just now.

winter sucks. I really don't get how some people look forward to it.

but the weather in Tampa is looking pretty nice.

stickguy said:

did something weird today. Had to run out to the bank, so I took the Acura since it was sitting out in the driveway. So I went out the front door, and came back in that way. No use of the garage at all. I might not have done that in 20 years here. Yesterday I had to start pulling out keys to try and find one for the front door. I never usually bother to even carry one of those since we always just use the garage even if not using the car.

Being the paranoid guy that I am I have the front door key on the key fob just in case of a power failure. I’ve been meaning to install one of those power failure gizmos on the garage door that’s tied to a rope that pulls on the mechanical release mechanism on the door that allows you to raise the door like when you don’t have a door opener. That way I wouldn’t have to hike to the front door and I could get into the house like I always do.

jmonroe

outside my backyard just now.

Which one is you?

jmonroe
    jmonroe1 said:

stickguy said:

Being the paranoid guy that I am I have the front door key on the key fob just in case of a power failure. I’ve been meaning to install one of those power failure gizmos on the garage door that’s tied to a rope that pulls on the mechanical release mechanism on the door that allows you to raise the door like when you don’t have a door opener. That way I wouldn’t have to hike to the front door and I could get into the house like I always do.

jmonroe
    we actually have a key hidden outside in the back yard for that reason (coming home when the power is out). But not doing that on a normal basis!

• tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,906

All this garage door talk has me thinking I need to get the opener at the shore squared away.

The remote that came with the house doesn’t work and without it, I can’t program Homelink. All we have is the keypad outside. I was going to attempt to reprogram everything but then thought it may knock my neighbor’s programming out. We are very rarely there together so need to talk to them about it.

It’s a pain to have to jump out of the car and type the code in (yeah yeah first world problems)

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

unless it is really old you shouldn't need the clicker. That (holding it up to the homelink) is old school. Now, just push the learn button on the opener unit, then go push and hold the button in the car.

not sure if it is the opener or the car that makes the most difference but the Volvo will certainly be state of the homelink art.

stickguy said:

jmonroe1 said:

stickguy said:

jmonroe
    we actually have a key hidden outside in the back yard for that reason (coming home when the power is out). But not doing that on a normal basis!
    Just buy a garage door opener that has a battery built in that will open the door for several cycles.
    It operates slowly compared to the normal 110V speed, so it's obvious the opener is on the battery.

• ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,084
    edited January 2022
    stickguy said:

unless it is really old you shouldn't need the clicker. That (holding it up to the homelink) is old school. Now, just push the learn button on the opener unit, then go push and hold the button in the car.

not sure if it is the opener or the car that makes the most difference but the Volvo will certainly be state of the homelink art.

I'm pretty sure that when I programmed the ATS Homelink, I had to use the remote to do so. I know I never had to push a learn button on the opener, as that would have meant using a stepladder and I know I didn't do that.

I guess I am just an old-school guy. This morning I had to go to Walmart to pick up an online grocery order curbside. They have a section of the lot with 8 designated parking slots for that. It was busy, and I got the last of the 8. Because it was busy I had to wait for a while before getting my stuff. I was looking around at the other 7 cars doing the same. All of the drivers and passengers were heads-down, noses in their phones, doing who-knows-what. Meanwhile I was looking around through the windows, listening to music.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

the newer opener was installed in 2018. pretty sure it doesn't have a battery. I was just going to put another one up to match it. It is such a rare thing to need that I can just open the front door since I assume it will cost a lot more!

stickguy said:

Hmm… I’ll see what options there are. I just assumed that since the one at home is only a few years old that the one at the shore would be the same.

it has been a while since I programmed. But I think the RDX when I did it, I didn't need a clicker for either door. Maverick was easy. Doesn't have Homelink!

• oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,646
    jmonroe1 said:

stickguy said:

jmonroe
    I just leave everything unlocked.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

stickguy said:

the newer opener was installed in 2018. pretty sure it doesn't have a battery. I was just going to put another one up to match it. It is such a rare thing to need that I can just open the front door since I assume it will cost a lot more!

If you had only gone to the box store or a well supplied hardware store you’d be using your door by now. If you have the older style garage doors that have a spring at each side rail you could have changed that almost as fast as talking about it. There is almost no tension on those springs when the door is up so being afraid of that is not a valid reason to call The Guy.

Now, if you have the single torsion spring (about 4 inches in diameter) that you can easily see mounted on the header above the door when it is closed like I got when a new door was installed a few years ago that is entirely a different story. There ain’t no way I’m messing with that beast.

jmonroe
    side springs. I am not messing with them. All the spools popped off when the pull up wire unraveled. So it all needs to be put back together correctly then adjusted. Not something I feel like doing by myself.

edited January 2022
    jmonroe1 said:

stickguy said:

If you had only gone to the box store or a well supplied hardware store you’d be using your door by now. If you have the older style garage doors that have a spring at each side rail you could have changed that almost as fast as talking about it. There is almost no tension on those springs when the door is up so being afraid of that is not a valid reason to call The Guy.

Now, if you have the single torsion spring (about 4 inches in diameter) that you can easily see mounted on the header above the door when it is closed like I got when a new door was installed a few years ago that is entirely a different story. There ain’t no way I’m messing with that beast.

jmonroe
    Those are easy. Just arm yourself with two 18" steel rods of the appropriate diameter for
    the holes in the end clamp on the springs (from Lowes, etc.).
    Then always keeping one of those in the lock
    clamp after putting on the new spring and holding it against
    the torque you provide winding the spring, start rotating to
    tighten the spring. Always tighten the clamp
    bolts before removing both rods.
    Check door for balance between weight and the torsion springs' lift at about 30" above
    the ground.

Why call "the guy"? --when anyone can do it.

well, now that I know how easy it is I will just send my wife out to do it.

She's an anyone.

jmonroe1 said:

stickguy said:

jmonroe
    Those are easy. Just arm yourself with two 18" steel rods of the appropriate diameter for
    the holes in the end clamp on the springs (from Lowes, etc.).
    Then always keeping one of those in the lock
    clamp after putting on the new spring and holding it against
    the torque you provide winding the spring, start rotating to
    tighten the spring. Always tighten the clamp
    bolts before removing both rods.
    Check door for balance between weight and the torsion springs' lift at about 30" above
    the ground.

Why call "the guy"? --when anyone can do it.

Yeah I know but I didn’t want @stickguy to get in over his head if he were to man up and try it. I’m sure his wife could do it. He as much just said so. ;)

jmonroe
    my first house (new build) I installed both the openers since it did not come with them. Had to start from scratch. Mount a bracket on the ceiling, hang angle iron to hook the unit to, and drill the header into the door. That was a lot of time up top of the ladder. When I was a whole lot younger! Never doing that job again. But I could if I really wanted to.

and I really don't want to mess around with garage door springs and all the ancillary parts involved. Especially not in the winter. It's cold out there!

if you guys want to run down and do it, I will buy the beer and pizza of course.

stickguy said:

my first house (new build) I installed both the openers since it did not come with them. Had to start from scratch. Mount a bracket on the ceiling, hang angle iron to hook the unit to, and drill the header into the door. That was a lot of time up top of the ladder. When I was a whole lot younger! Never doing that job again. But I could if I really wanted to.

and I really don't want to mess around with garage door springs and all the ancillary parts involved. Especially not in the winter. It's cold out there!

if you guys want to run down and do it, I will buy the beer and pizza of course.

C’mon man that ain’t a beer and pizza job. More like a rib eye. Beer and pizza is OK for a light bulb change but not a garage door spring.

jmonroe

I’m pretty handy, but I’m not touching garage door springs. My luck I’d screw something up and the spring would fly into one or both of the cars.

I don’t have the side springs just the one on top of the door. That’s not DIY, you need a special winding tool IIRC.

• qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,934
    I've messed with adjusting my springs a couple of times in the past. But I definitely don't think it is something just anyone should mess with.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

tjc78 said:

I’m pretty handy, but I’m not touching garage door springs. My luck I’d screw something up and the spring would fly into one or both of the cars.

I don’t have the side springs just the one on top of the door. That’s not DIY, you need a special winding tool IIRC.

First off you’re supposed to take the cars out of the garage before working on the spring/springs.

Secondly, two 1/2 inch diameter pieces of pipe is not what I’d call “a special winding tool” but you better not try it with a couple screw drivers. A handy guy like yourself may even have those lying around somewhere in the garage.

jmonroe
    edited January 2022
    @abacomike
    Good. That news has to be encouraging for you! Hope it continues.

• ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,084
    tjc78 said:

Not something I would even think about trying.

https://youtu.be/W2iazseebHc

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• abacomikeabacomike Member Posts: 12,258

It’s 49 degrees down here and they forecast mid 40’s for lows tonight. For south Florida, that’s darn cold. I might have to turn the heat on tomorrow morning.

2021 Genesis G90

ab348 said:

tjc78 said:

Not something I would even think about trying.

https://youtu.be/W2iazseebHc

If I were a fear monger in the replacement biz I’d say that too. I’m sure there are dozens and dozens of successful homeowner replacements. However, I wouldn’t advocate trying to extend the life of a weak spring by trying to “adjust it”. There are limits of what should and shouldn’t be done by anybody, regardless of skill.

jmonroe
  • abacomikeabacomike Member Posts: 12,258

KC and Bills game is probably the best football game I have seen in my entire life. What a game!!!!!!!’

2021 Genesis G90

abacomike said:

I drove up to the shopping mall early this afternoon and it was jammed. I brought my walker with me so I could do some exercising and walking. I was able to do two laps and had very little pain. I just hope that the pain subsides over the next month or so to enable me to get back to normal for a change.

Good news @Mike. When you’re well enough to replace a garage door spring we’ll know you’re all the way back.

jmonroe
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,934
    edited January 2022
    abacomike said:

KC and Bills game is probably the best football game I have seen in my entire life. What a game!!!!!!!’

I can't believe how BAD the KC defense is playing, but OMG, this game is nuts. They scored more in the last 120 secs of regulation than many entire games have had this year.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

qbrozen said:

abacomike said:

I can't believe how BAD the KC defense is playing, but OMG, this game is nuts. They scored more in the last 120 secs of regulation than many entire games have had this year.
    You are SO right. This is a great game. Not for the faint of heart.

jmonroe