Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Edmunds Members - Cars and Conversations

Comments

• Options
    andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,729
    edited January 2022

jmonroe1 said:

andres3 said:

https://youtu.be/4xBQg2MCYMM

All's well until the end when a middle lane camper and left lane camper/illegal unsafe lane changer combine both of their negligence at the same time to make a near miss. Only not a wreck due to excellent braking by the BMW M4.

The middle lane camper should NEVER have been in that lane. The left lane camper should NEVER have been in the left/passing lane at that time crossing over two lanes. The whole thing set in motion due to someone not knowing the first thing about driving in the correct right lane.

How fast was that idiot driving? It sure seemed like he was way above the legal speed limit.

I never really thought of this before but if it weren’t for lane campers that force idiots to slow down there would be even more high speed accidents.

I think some lane campers should be called, “speed controllers”.

jmonroe
    The guy filming was really going way too fast for the traffic he was in. The so called left lane camper was only in the left lane for what 7 seconds and merged into the left lane when the driver filming it was quite a distance behind. My guess is that if he wasn't doing 180+ it would have been a non issue.
    As it would have been a non-issue if they didn't make the illegal lane changes (unsafe lane changes). Another is a signal would have likely garnered a quicker reaction. Yet another is if they had been in the right lane to begin with none of this is possible. I view the traffic as "light" in my opinion.

However, with poorer timing, this would have been an issue even at 18 km/h, let alone 180+, because the fact is the Mazda failed to even look.

We've been over this before, if they were in a Bugatti going well over 300 Km/h it would have also be a non-issue because they'd have been past the Mazda before they made their stupid and illegal maneuver. The fact is the speed plays no role in this type of negligent Mazda move; it's simply an ill-timed and negligent lane change; a move that with the right timing, can ruin your day at any speed.

You can't use the "but they were over the limit" or the "I wasn't expecting fast traffic" defense on the Autobahn. Maybe on a 65 MPH US Interstate, but not where this video was filmed.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
  • Options
    snakeweaselsnakeweasel Member Posts: 19,328
    driver100 said:

jmonroe1 said:

andres3 said:

All's well until the end when a middle lane camper and left lane camper/illegal unsafe lane changer combine both of their negligence at the same time to make a near miss. Only not a wreck due to excellent braking by the BMW M4.

The middle lane camper should NEVER have been in that lane. The left lane camper should NEVER have been in the left/passing lane at that time crossing over two lanes. The whole thing set in motion due to someone not knowing the first thing about driving in the correct right lane.

How fast was that idiot driving? It sure seemed like he was way above the legal speed limit.

I never really thought of this before but if it weren’t for lane campers that force idiots to slow down there would be even more high speed accidents.

jmonroe
    The guy filming was really going way too fast for the traffic he was in. The so called left lane camper was only in the left lane for what 7 seconds and merged into the left lane when the driver filming it was quite a distance behind. My guess is that if he wasn't doing 180+ it would have been a non issue.
    Exactly....the guy going 150 mph in the BMW was the most reckless guy on the road. he was going way to fast considering the speed of the other cars around him, and he wouldn't be able to react in time if someone pulled into his lane at the wrong time. He wasn't driving defensively, and he could have collided with the Mazda if the timing of the Mazda passing happened a bit later.
    Yes if he was going say 10 MPH faster than the flow of traffic the distance he was behind the other car when that car went into the left lane it wouldn't have even been close. Especially since that other car did a very quick pass. It's very dangerous to go that much faster than the flow of traffic.

2011 Hyundai Sonata, 2014 BMW 428i convertible, 2015 Honda CTX700D

• Options
    fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,169
    Even better reason to limit those vmax runs to empty roads and off-peak hours. There are idiots on the road everywhere, just more in some places than others.

I remember driving there, and being sure to look far back when I ventured into the far left lane.
    andres3 said:

fintail said:

Unrestricted Autobahn in a society where driving skill is given some value. Still a dangerous speed for that traffic, even if Mazda driver, assuming they are a local, are taught to look far back when venturing into the left lane of an unlimited section, as you never know what's coming.

In most of this country, that left lane would have had at least a few dopes playing on their phone/eating/talking.

jmonroe1 said:

andres3 said:

jmonroe
    It's been said in addition to the Mazda switching over 2 lanes consecutively (a big NO NO in Germany), that their signal wasn't used (another big NO NO everywhere). I'm still having problems with the fact the right lanes are completely open and empty; making this whole incident so entirely needless.
  • Options
    oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,671
    fintail said:

Even better reason to limit those vmax runs to empty roads and off-peak hours. There are idiots on the road everywhere, just more in some places than others.

I remember driving there, and being sure to look far back when I ventured into the far left lane.

andres3 said:

fintail said:

Unrestricted Autobahn in a society where driving skill is given some value. Still a dangerous speed for that traffic, even if Mazda driver, assuming they are a local, are taught to look far back when venturing into the left lane of an unlimited section, as you never know what's coming.

In most of this country, that left lane would have had at least a few dopes playing on their phone/eating/talking.

jmonroe1 said:

andres3 said:

jmonroe
    It's been said in addition to the Mazda switching over 2 lanes consecutively (a big NO NO in Germany), that their signal wasn't used (another big NO NO everywhere). I'm still having problems with the fact the right lanes are completely open and empty; making this whole incident so entirely needless.
    I have to agree. While I can understand the need for speed you can’t do it in traffic.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• Options
    stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,556
    here's what OF needs. Ditch that wimpy tune you did. Go big or go home!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d4XVMAM-2Co

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• Options
    jmonroe1jmonroe1 Member Posts: 7,563
    andres3 said:

jmonroe1 said:

andres3 said:

jmonroe
    First, this was on the limitless Autobahn so "above the legal speed limit" is a non-starter as an argument.

Speed controllers are the ones causing all the high speed collisions, you have it backwards. I don't much give a hoot about drivers so bad they crash into inanimate non-moving objects.
    I wouldn’t have expected your response to be anything different.

Thanks.

jmonroe
    '15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
  • Options
    qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,947

@stickguy said:

That’s going to be a lot of time, work, and money just to watch something go boom.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• Options
    sdasda Member Posts: 6,986
    I just read another mid-size sedan is no longer. The last VW Passat was produced on 1/25. The production capacity from the Passat will be given to the EV VW I.D.4. Bow our heads in a moment of silence.

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

• Options
    Oh they did discuss all the components that are going to blow up, like the rear diff.

Makes zero sense other than for YouTube content

• Options
    graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    Had this conversation with my son last night.

His theory surrounding the shortage of new vehicles right now has nothing to do with material shortages. He believes it’s because of the huge investments the automakers have made in EVs and EV Hybrids, that all the ones coming on line seemingly every few weeks, automakers are building demand for them by restricting ICE vehicles.

That way, they recoup their R&D for EVs immediately.

I had no retort for him.
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
  • Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,153

His theory surrounding the shortage of new vehicles right now has nothing to do with material shortages. He believes it’s because of the huge investments the automakers have made in EVs and EV Hybrids, that all the ones coming on line seemingly every few weeks, automakers are building demand for them by restricting ICE vehicles.

I had no retort for him.

The history of the car business would suggest they just aren't smart enough to create their own demand, or to prognosticate the inventory needed. :D

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,923

I truly believe the shortage is real. For years and years all the auto makers wanted was market share
    and volume. This current trend is a complete 180 for their business model. Once all areas of supply are back to form the lots will once again be full, sales prices will drop and used car prices will come back to reality.

Now if any of us just had a crystal ball as to when….

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• Options
    Not real soon.

• Options
    explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,320
    When I was in Ohio, I saw a baseball stadium lot that was full of new HD trucks.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • Options
    Probably the F150s waiting on chips.

• Options
    qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,947
    stickguy said:

Oh they did discuss all the components that are going to blow up, like the rear diff.

But the engine itself will self destruct, if what she is claiming is true. There is no way an engine built to 1000 hp as naturally aspirated is going to tolerate boost. The compression would be way too high.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• Options
    @stickguy,
    Bigger trucks made at Avon Lake. Think large box truck platform.
  • Options
    qbrozen said:

stickguy said:

But the engine itself will self destruct, if what she is claiming is true. There is no way an engine built to 1000 hp as naturally aspirated is going to tolerate boost. The compression would be way too high.
    I agree but for some there is fun proving that. Personally, I never understood the joy in purposely beating the hell out of a car but again it’s fun for some.

jmonroe
    '15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
  • Options
    abacomikeabacomike Member Posts: 12,258

@tjc78 said:
    I truly believe the shortage is real. For years and years all the auto makers wanted was market share
    and volume. This current trend is a complete 180 for their business model. Once all areas of supply are back to form the lots will once again be full, sales prices will drop and used car prices will come back to reality.

Now if any of us just had a crystal ball as to when….

I made a few calls to some of my colleagues who used to work for me when I was a sales manager at a couple of new car dealerships. One works at a Mercedes’ Dealership, one works at an Infinity Dealership and one works at a BMW Dealership. They all reported to me that there is little to no inventory on most of their popular vehicles. The Mercedes salesman told me they have no inventory on E Class, S Class and CLS Class sedans with no cars expected for the next several weeks. Same with the Infinity salesman. The BMW salesman said inventories on 7, 5, and 4 series sedans is 2-8 cars in inventory with some expected in the next 4 weeks.

All 3 salesmen told me they are barely making a living because sales are so low and each showroom is empty most of the day. Sales on SUV’s are more frequent because they have more inventory on them. 2022’s trickle in with little to no inventory on sedans and coupes.

2021 Genesis G90

• Options
    sdasda Member Posts: 6,986
    @abacomike What a grim scenario. I feel for the salesman trying to survive and keeping their heads above water. I would guess the Service Depts of these dealerships are providing much needed revenue to keep the lights on. Sadly, it would not surprise me to see numerous dealers close shop as they cannot survive this environment.

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

• Options
    jmonroe1 said:

qbrozen said:

stickguy said:

I agree but for some there is fun proving that. Personally, I never understood the joy in purposely beating the hell out of a car but again it’s fun for some.

jmonroe
    It’s YouTube. They basically get paid to do it.

• Options
    driver100driver100 Member Posts: 31,976
    Speaking of the car shortage, this is what I was wondering about.
    2 years ago I checked the trade in value of the 2014 C250, and it was $11000.
    I checked Carmax last month and they offered $17000.
    If my car is totaled or stolen, what do you think they will give me for it....the old Blue Book Value or today's freaky pricing?
    I started thinking about it when I saw an ad for a Lexus dealer, and they said they would give you $500 more than Kelly BB price for your trade-in....which seems to me could still be pretty low, unless they have raised their prices too.

2017 MB E400 , 2015 MB GLK350, 2014 MB C250

• Options

@stickguy said:

Yes that’s true. I imagine these folks could never go back to a 40 hour a week job and that’s if they ever really worked a day in their lives.

It’s a new world out there and not necessarily for the better. Personally, I resent sharing space on this earth with bozo’s. Sorry if that offends anyone in here.

jmonroe

• Options
    Should be current market value. But I assume they are trying to lowball like crazy so you would need to fight over it.

• Options
    carnaughtcarnaught Member Posts: 3,498
    Still with their outrageous market adjustment prices, tagged-on mop and glo add-ons and crazy high doc fees, I will not forget the worst offenders in the future.
  • Options
    stickguy said:

Uhummmm, no! I like to see out the front window.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• Options

I had no retort for him.

I’ve seen too many conspiracy theories proven true lately to doubt him.

• Options
    jmonroe1 said:

@stickguy said:

Yes that’s true. I imagine these folks could never go back to a 40 hour a week job and that’s if they ever really worked a day in their lives.

It’s a new world out there and not necessarily for the better. Personally, I resent sharing space on this earth with bozo’s. Sorry if that offends anyone in here.

jmonroe

Why would we be offended?

• Options
    People decided that working grunt work stinks so they didn’t want to do it any longer for crappy wages and no benefits. Of course employers aren’t happy about it!

• Options
    edited January 2022

We just received a weather alert for Friday evening through Monday - FREEZE WARNINGS for Palm Beach County and mid-30’s for South Florida. In the 21 years I have lived here in South Florida, I cannot remember ever receiving a Freeze Warning alert from the National Weather Service.

Because I live 2 miles south of the Palm Beach County Line, I am assuming we will have freezing temperatures here in far northern iand western Broward County which means I will be moving all my plants I keep on my terrace indoors for the 4 days we will experience acutely low temperatures.

I am also going to make sure my heating system is working properly. I remember when I was just a kid - when I used to fly down to Miami during Winter Break from elementary school to stay with my grandparents in Coral Gables - whenever it got cold (40’s), my grandparents would turn on the oven and top burners in the kitchen (fueled by propane) to warm up their home. They only had fans - no AC or heat! They would put blankets on the floor in the kitchen with pillows and my brother and I would sleep in the kitchen near the stove. Even their 2 cars had no heaters or AC. Things have sure changed in the last 55-60 years. We used to fly down to Miami on Eastern Airlines (DC-6’s and Super G Lockeed Constellation) - the flight took 4-1/2 - 5 hours each way. Then the Lockeed Electra II jet turbo prop airliners came on fleet and cut the flying time down to just over 3 hours. Now, flying time is 2 hours and 30 minutes (plus 20-30 minutes for air traffic and airport delays).

As Archie and Edith used to sing, “…those were the days!” 🤪😜🤓

2021 Genesis G90

• Options
    Don’t stand under the trees. Don’t want to get hit by falling lizards.

• Options

@abacomike said:
    We just received a weather alert for Friday evening through Monday - FREEZE WARNINGS for Palm Beach County and mid-30’s for South Florida. In the 21 years I have lived here in South Florida, I cannot remember ever receiving a Freeze Warning alert from the National Weather Service.

Because I live 2 miles south of the Palm Beach County Line, I am assuming we will have freezing temperatures here in far northern iand western Broward County which means I will be moving all my plants I keep on my terrace indoors for the 4 days we will experience acutely low temperatures.

I am also going to make sure my heating system is working properly. I remember when I was just a kid - when I used to fly down to Miami during Winter Break from elementary school to stay with my grandparents in Coral Gables - whenever it got cold (40’s), my grandparents would turn on the oven and top burners in the kitchen (fueled by propane) to warm up their home. They only had fans - no AC or heat! They would put blankets on the floor in the kitchen with pillows and my brother and I would sleep in the kitchen near the stove. Even their 2 cars had no heaters or AC. Things have sure changed in the last 55-60 years. We used to fly down to Miami on Eastern Airlines (DC-6’s and Super G Lockeed Constellation) - the flight took 4-1/2 - 5 hours each way. Then the Lockeed Electra II jet turbo prop airliners came on fleet and cut the flying time down to just over 3 hours. Now, flying time is 2 hours and 30 minutes (plus 20-30 minutes for air traffic and airport delays).

So what’s your problem?

It’s been pretty cold up here lately, in the teens and even lower at times, but I learned something yesterday. The power windows in Mrs. j’s Subie doesn’t like cold weather either and when I went through a fast food joint I had to open the door to give them my order and then again to give them my credit card and get my burger. And you think you have it rough? I’m betting there are a few northerners in here that will gladly trade with you. C’mon man, suck it up. 😫😫😫

jmonroe

• Options

@stickguy said:

But the up side to that is you know what kind of soup you’re going to have at dinner and it’s very economical too.

jmonroe

• Options
    Things looking up. Just went and spent 5 minutes checking my work on the bed cover. Leveled one rail, and tightened the other one down. Rolled it back out, gave it a push, and locked into place with the tailgate up just like it is supposed to, with the gasket on the tailgate where it belongs. Glad to have that sorted out.

Took way to long, but typical of this kind of project, I could easily bang out a 2nd one in 20 minutes, no sweat, now that I figured out the poorly illustrated instructions, and the tricks of the trade.

• Options

• Options

@stickguy said:

Yes, I expect to see a bunch of green iguanas laying in the streets and frontages of our community over the weekend. It will keep the animal control people busy because there are bounties on green iguanas and alligators from the state.

2021 Genesis G90

• Options
    edited January 2022

It doesn’t look wrinkly in person. I think it’s just angle of the picture. Plus should smooth out when it gets in the sun. I can also get my wife to help and pull on each side to flatten it out more. But it’s really nice being so flush and low profile.

Next time it’s rolled back I’ll get a shot of the spray in liner.

• Options

@jmonroe1 said:

@abacomike said:

So what’s your problem?

It’s been pretty cold up here lately, in the teens and even lower at times, but I learned something yesterday. The power windows in Mrs. j’s Subie doesn’t like cold weather either and when I went through a fast food joint I had to open the door to give them my order and then again to give them my credit card and get my burger. And you think you have it rough? I’m betting there are a few northerners in here that will gladly trade with you. C’mon man, suck it up. 😫😫😫

jmonroe

You seem to forget that our homes and condos are not well insulated for cold temperatures. At least I have heated front and rear seats in the G90! 🤪😜🤓

2021 Genesis G90

• Options
    @stickguy,
    When are you going to start a YT Maverick channel? Everyone else has. ;)
  • Options
    edited January 2022
    That would be a boring channel.

And nobody wants to see me on video.

So I just entertain you people.

• Options
    ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,095
    Home ownership woes to report.

After I got home from hospital at the end of November, for the first week or so various people came in to help out around the house. One of them decided to sponge-mop the kitchen floor. A few days after, I noticed some discoloration and water damage on the engineered hardwood that had held up well for the last 20 years. I assumed it was from the cleaning and that the wrong product was used. Over the next couple of weeks it seemed to get worse, strangely. I reached the conclusion that those planks would need replacing. The product is discontinued, but I had a nearly full box of material stashed away from when it was done originally which should have been close to enough.

Last week I reached out to a couple of hardwood flooring installers for an idea of what it would take to fix it and sent them pictures. The first guy to respond was disinterested, but the second fellow responded with some helpful advice that initially I dismissed. He said that didn't look like damage from using the improper cleaner, but rather longer-term water damage from a leak somewhere, maybe the dishwasher or the kitchen sink. I never get under there and even when I open the door to the undersink cabinet it is just to fetch something from the front part of the storage area. Yesterday I decided to get down and take a closer look.

Holy cow, he was right. Something - still not sure from where - has been dripping there for a long time. the bottom of the cabinet is warped and there was a little standing water on it. The hole in the bottom panel for the drain pipe heading to the basement is swollen. I went downstairs to the utility room that I visit maybe twice a year and there was some water on the floor and another drip. Immediately called the plumber, and waiting to hear back. I need to get that leak fixed first, then I will call my trusty contractor guy.

In some ways this is pushing me to do what I have been putting off i.e. giving the kitchen a reno/refresh. I have spent much of today trying to decide how far to go, whether to just replace the needed parts or go further. I don't really want to live here in the middle of a major kitchen reno where I would open everything up and move plumbing and electrical around, essentially swapping the dining room and the kitchen spaces with each other. That would be ideal, but many, many weeks in length and I don't know if I could stand that again. The step down from that would be keeping pretty much everything where it now is but replacing cabinets, floor, appliances, etc. Or the cheapest option is to just fix the damaged floor and cabinets and wait.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• Options
    jmonroe1 said:

@abacomike said:

So what’s your problem?

jmonroe

Is there a heat wave in your area? It’s going to -2F tonight here.

• Options
    edited January 2022
    @stickguy

Stick, Somehow I missed that you actually pulled the trigger on the Maverick...I knew you were considering it and it was high on your list. What color is it? Take a picture of the whole truck one day soon. It looks like you are wearing bell bottoms in your reflection. :p

• Options
    @ab348 That's a tough one ab. We'll have to hear what JMonroe has to say first before commenting.
    My guess is the cabinets are probably warped now....might be a good time to do a refresh at least.

• Options
    I was dressed for work. Sweatpants.

I did post pics over on CCBA on 12/31 when I brought it home.

Color is carbonized gray. A lariat trim.

• Options
    7 Day weather for Tampa Bay

Day...................................HI LO
    Wed Scattered showers 60° 54°
    Thu Cloudy 68° 52°
    Fri Cloudy 65° 37°
    Sat Sunny 47° 26°
    Sun Sunny 53° 33°
    Mon Mostly sunny 66° 42°
    Tue Partly cloudy 73° 53°
    Wed Partly cloudy 78° 59°

I can live with that. It's still better than 12 and 14F daytimes back home.

• Options

@driver100 said:
    7 Day weather for Tampa Bay

Day...................................HI LO
    Wed Scattered showers 60° 54°
    Thu Cloudy 68° 52°
    Fri Cloudy 65° 37°
    Sat Sunny 47° 26°
    Sun Sunny 53° 33°
    Mon Mostly sunny 66° 42°
    Tue Partly cloudy 73° 53°
    Wed Partly cloudy 78° 59°

I can live with that. It's still better than 12 and 14F daytimes back home.

Saturday and Sunday as well as Monday night are going to be some of the coldest temps we’ve ever seen down here - 200 miles southeast of Tampa.

2021 Genesis G90

• Options
    One of my kids said it was -15 this morning where they live in Wisconsin.
  • Options

@abacomike said:

@jmonroe1 said:

@abacomike said:

So what’s your problem?

jmonroe

You seem to forget that our homes and condos are not well insulated for cold temperatures. At least I have heated front and rear seats in the G90! 🤪😜🤓

Believe it or not your insulation is plenty good enough for your FRIGIDLY COLD 40 degree temps.

Wanna try another excuse. Us yankees ain’t as dumb as we look. :D

jmonroe

• Options
    tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,923

It is January guys…. It should be cold (er)

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve