Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,905
    I love that Volvo.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,646
    stickguy said:

sda said:

stickguy said:

pretty sure the ford points can be used for service too.

My dealer must offer complimentary service (the first one). At least that is what the Email from the SA I got said. Though since I am only at 147 miles and it will be 4 weeks old this Friday, might not be an issue real soon.

No excuses…get out and drive, enjoy!
    I need someplace to go!

actually was going to NY Saturday. But looks like the n'oreaster will be hanging around so that won't happen. Thought about going Friday instead but not sure I would make it back before the snow/ice moved in. which would be nasty.

might be going Monday instead!
    Come on, there’s no place like NY in a blizzard to test your winter driving skills. Every year tons of people have fun seeing how far their car will slide on it’s roof as they view the woods from a new perspective.

Give it a go. ;)

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

If it were really priced too low it would be gone already.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• au1994au1994 Member Posts: 3,380
    I love that Volvo as well. Hope you get it!

2021 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4xe Granite Crystal over Saddle
    2024 Audi Q5 Premium Plus Daytona Gray over Beige
    2017 BMW X1 Jet Black over Mocha

• british_roverbritish_rover Member Posts: 8,502
    edited January 2022

@nyccarguy said:

@british_rover said:
    Almost six years. Anyone around I still remember?

Hey! Thanks for coming back to check in! I remember you.

What are you driving these days?

I have three cars in the fleet now. About 15 years of dealer demos kinds of spoils you.

2005 Grand Cherokee limited that I took in trade about a decade ago. Was too cheap not to buy so I bought it. I don't think it has much longer though. Just rusting away worse than any jeep I ever owned. Have replaced the oil pan twice in five years.

1993 Ford F150 with the 4.9, stick, flatbed and crane/hoist on 31s. I use it to pick up hay or well anything pretty much. Even on the edge of overloaded it does ok just have to pick a lower gear.

1997 Volvo 850 GLT that I got for 250 bucks. Old employee of mine took it in trade and gave it to her son for college. He let it sit over the winter upstate New York and it got a hairline crack in the block. She was going to junk it I said it was too nice for that. I figured I would use it for parts but was able to 95% patch the crack because of the location. I have to put a quart of coolant in halfway through an oil change.

@stickguy said:
    claims adjusting. that must be fun!

Haven't finished training yet. I have to get two different insurance licenses for the state.

@qbrozen said:
    Still in NJ. No Alfa currently in the stable.

What are you currently driving?

Are you working for a particular insurance company?

Progressive. No commission just salary and
    annual bonus based on how the company does overall. I don't think I would go back to a purely or most commissioned job again.

>

Let me know if they give you a bonus for >really sticking it to someone with a claim

See above no bonus but annual.

• qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,933

My last one was like that. Super low miles. But it was a base engine and with a poorly repainted fender. You need to buy it. Worst case, put it on C&B.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,513
    Just talked to Nissan finance about buying out my fathers Sentra lease. And I learned just today that in any state other than NJ you do that at the dealer. My leases, just sent a check to the finance company and they sent you the title.

Also verified the residual. He got lucky on this one. Pretty basic 2019 Sentra (might be an S). Only 12,000 miles. And residual is $9,400. I ran an SV through carmax recently and the offer on that was over $16k.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• 28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,385

So far no response. These cars have a cult following around here so I imagine he already sold it. But we shall see.

2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible, 2015 Audi Q5 TDI
  • ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,081
    stickguy said:

Just talked to Nissan finance about buying out my fathers Sentra lease. And I learned just today that in any state other than NJ you do that at the dealer.

Up where I am, I had two leases and got yet a different answer from the dealer. The answer was that GM Financial would not let you buy it at the end of the lease (I never asked, probably should have) and that the dealer could only sell it to me if they were able to buy it at the auction after I turned it in. I suspect both points were false given the dealer.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

Oh it’s 100% clear we can buy it at contest residual. And we know what that is. Dealer is just going to do the paperwork. And knowing them, try to hustle a 92 YO guy out of the windfall equity.

xwesx said:

True, but you've only been through what, another dozen or perhaps a baker's dozen since then?

Honestly, I'm not sure if @british_rover is referring to the Stelvio or my old Spider. lol.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,905

@ab348 said:
    Up where I am, I had two leases and got yet a different answer from the dealer. The answer was that GM Financial would not let you buy it at the end of the lease (I never asked, probably should have) and that the dealer could only sell it to me if they were able to buy it at the auction after I turned it in. I suspect both points were false given the dealer.

You 100% can buy your GM financial lease at the residual price. They send paperwork at the end saying that is one of your “lease end options”.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,760
    stickguy said:

Oh it’s 100% clear we can buy it at contest residual. And we know what that is. Dealer is just going to do the paperwork. And knowing them, try to hustle a 92 YO guy out of the windfall equity.

Expect the dealer to add fees. It's a scam.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

@qbrozen I was talking about the spider. That is the one I remember.

RE: the S70 I would want to verify the timing belt has been done in the last 5 years at least. That is a first year ETM car if it has been serviced at a dealership I assume you he software upgrades have been done. Even if they have ETMs can be troublesome and used parts almost never work.

Also the condenser and assorted components are weak on those cars. They corrode easily more so if sitting.

• corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,262

AutoVIN keeps calling me trying to set up an inspection on the Tundra. Since I extended the lease, shouldn’t they do that closer to the extended termination date instead of the original one?

• jmonroe1jmonroe1 Member Posts: 7,543

@stickguy said:

welcome back! Still selling Volvos?

Nah don't even work in a dealership anymore. I left over a year ago now after I was the service manager for about five years. Still sort of in the business. Started a new career as an auto claims adjuster last week.

@qbrozen said:

that depends on how good your memory is.

I do remember you. Still in Jersey? Didn't you have an Alfa?

@corvette said:

Maybe! Or at least I remember you!

Remember you too how is it going?

Welcome back. There are a few in here that are not fond of that gig.

jmonroe
    '15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,760
    corvette said:

AutoVIN keeps calling me trying to set up an inspection on the Tundra. Since I extended the lease, shouldn’t they do that closer to the extended termination date instead of the original one?

Yes, just call and let them know you extended the lease

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

edited January 2022

@qbrozen I was talking about the spider. That is the one I remember.

RE: the S70 I would want to verify the timing belt has been done in the last 5 years at least. That is a first year ETM car if it has been serviced at a dealership I assume you he software upgrades have been done. Even if they have ETMs can be troublesome and used parts almost never work.

Also the condenser and assorted components are weak on those cars. They corrode easily more so if sitting.

'99 had the troublesome ETM. '98 is the good one to have. Basically identical to your 850. A condensor failure does suck, as it involves removing the dash, so do check if the AC works. It is never "just needs a charge." lol. The other really common and guaranteed failure is the ABS module, which you have to send out to get rebuilt. It is cheap but a hassle nonetheless as the car can't be driven without it. Well, OK, it CAN be driven, but the headlights won't work, oddly enough, and of course no ABS nor traction control.

Spider was FOREVER ago. haha. Man... I've been through many project cars since then.

• carnaughtcarnaught Member Posts: 3,497

@nyccarguy said:

@british_rover said:

I have three cars in the fleet now. About 15 years of dealer demos kinds of spoils you.

2005 Grand Cherokee limited that I took in trade about a decade ago. Was too cheap not to buy so I bought it. I don't think it has much longer though. Just rusting away worse than any jeep I ever owned. Have replaced the oil pan twice in five years.

1993 Ford F150 with the 4.9, stick, flatbed and crane/hoist on 31s. I use it to pick up hay or well anything pretty much. Even on the edge of overloaded it does ok just have to pick a lower gear.

1997 Volvo 850 GLT that I got for 250 bucks. Old employee of mine took it in trade and gave it to her son for college. He let it sit over the winter upstate New York and it got a hairline crack in the block. She was going to junk it I said it was too nice for that. I figured I would use it for parts but was able to 95% patch the crack because of the location. I have to put a quart of coolant in halfway through an oil change.

@stickguy said:

Haven't finished training yet. I have to get two different insurance licenses for the state.

@qbrozen said:

annual bonus based on how the company does overall. I don't think I would go back to a purely or most commissioned job again.

>

Let me know if they give you a bonus for >really sticking it to someone with a claim

So the bonus is all up to Flo.

The seller has folks coming to look at it this morning and I can't get over there until tonight because I have meetings. Likely will be gone. Oh well.

@nyccarguy said:

@british_rover said:

@stickguy said:

@qbrozen said:

>

Those Jeeps (and most Chrysler products) have about an 8 year life span before rust sets in no matter what you do.

The F-150 will probably last longer than you will. :p

Who would let a car sit in an upstate NY winter without proper antifreeze? Never mind, I know, a kid who wants mom to buy him a better car.

The only adjuster I ever interacted with was from Progressive. He was great. Even authorized additional repairs a week later when some hidden damage came to light.

ab348 said:

stickguy said:

Just talked to Nissan finance about buying out my fathers Sentra lease. And I learned just today that in any state other than NJ you do that at the dealer.

That’s odd. Isn’t the residual basically the buy out price? What does your contract say about purchase at the end of lease? Years ago a farmer friend leased a tractor with a guaranteed buy out price at the end of the lease. When the time came the dealer refused to honor the deal because values for the tractor had risen way beyond the residual. She threatened to sue and get the government regulators involved. Eventually the dealer relented.

These days especially, if you see a deal, have to drop everything and rush over with a wad of cash. The rare good buys don’t last.

It's true, and I recognize that. Unfortunately not in a gig where I can just pick up and go the way I would like. Especially because it was my little one's birthday yesterday and I took time off in the afternoon to watch Star Wars with him (which is what he wanted to do).
    stickguy said:

These days especially, if you see a deal, have to drop everything and rush over with a wad of cash. The rare good buys don’t last.

That’s so true. Once I saw a good deal on a low mile knock around car. I called 30 minutes after it was listed and ran over with cash before the other vultures could pounce.

As luck would have it, I got a Ford private offer in the mail today. Should be good for an additional $750 off the Maverick.

I heard about those. Sadly didn’t have one. Maybe next time!

• xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,788
    qbrozen said:

xwesx said:

True, but you've only been through what, another dozen or perhaps a baker's dozen since then?

Honestly, I'm not sure if @british_rover is referring to the Stelvio or my old Spider. lol.
    LOL Good point! *I* was referring to the Stelvio. :D
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,788

stickguy said:

That’s so true. Once I saw a good deal on a low mile knock around car. I called 30 minutes after it was listed and ran over with cash before the other vultures could pounce.
    Hey, at least you're bird enough to admit that you, too, are a vulture! :D
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250

@oldfarmer50 said:
    Those Jeeps (and most Chrysler products) have about an 8 year life span before rust sets in no matter what you do.

The F-150 will probably last longer than you will. :p

Who would let a car sit in an upstate NY winter without proper antifreeze? Never mind, I know, a kid who wants mom to buy him a better car.

The only adjuster I ever interacted with was from Progressive. He was great. Even authorized additional repairs a week later when some hidden damage came to light.

That F-150 sits for weeks at a time and I have only ever had to jump it once. It does need a starter though as it binds sometimes and I have to whack it with a chunk of wood.

I don't blame the kid he was 17 and knew nothing about cars just like his mom. Good salesperson but proof you don't need to be a car person to sell cars. The car has antifreeze in it just not -34 protection. My guess he topped it off with straight water a few too many times. I keep a Gallon of actual Volvo coolant in the trunk.

• ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,081
    Listen to Carlos Ghosn; don't buy a Nissan (or a Mitsu):

https://www.thedrive.com/news/42611/carlos-ghosn-calls-nissan-thugs-says-theyll-pay-a-high-price-for-his-downfall

Really interesting interview.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

Volvo sold, unsurprisingly.
    xwesx said:

stickguy said:

Hey, at least you're bird enough to admit that you, too, are a vulture! :D
    When it come to a cheap low mile car I can pick those bones with the best of them. ;)

ab348 said:

Listen to Carlos Ghosn; don't buy a Nissan (or a Mitsu):

https://www.thedrive.com/news/42611/carlos-ghosn-calls-nissan-thugs-says-theyll-pay-a-high-price-for-his-downfall

Really interesting interview.

Not sure I’d take advice from an international fugitive who pretty much ran Nissan into the dumper.

• explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,304
    @28firefighter,
    The ad even said he listed the price too low.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • au1994au1994 Member Posts: 3,380

Volvo sold, unsurprisingly.

Not surprised unfortunately. Maybe next time…

2021 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4xe Granite Crystal over Saddle
    2024 Audi Q5 Premium Plus Daytona Gray over Beige
    2017 BMW X1 Jet Black over Mocha

Even at $5k, there could have been a bidding war--people love old Volvos, and older low mileage cars tend to go for crazy prices.
  • henrynhenryn Member Posts: 4,289
    Greetings and salutations to all! I have been staying away from CCBA, waiting for the insanity to end. Most people I know are not paying any attention to car prices, so I haven’t been hearing much. I do read the news regularly, and they talk about supply chain problems, and I do purchase computer parts and build computer systems, so I’m aware the chip shortage is still a thing. This week I received another of those “private offers” from Ford, offering me $2,500 towards the purchase of a new F150.

This inspired me to get online and look around. Truecar says the average price paid for a new Supercrew F150 XLT is more than $800 over MSRP. Needless to say, that does not inspire me to buy a new truck. The old 2013 work truck that I bought last May is doing just fine. And Carvana says it’s increased in value by more than a thousand dollars since I bought it. Insanity! Who would have ever thunk that a car/truck would be an appreciating asset, like a house?

I just read through the last 10 pages of this forum, and I see many of you are buying cars despite the insanity. I also see speculation (both ways) on whether the situation will ever go back to where it was previously, large supplies of cars on the dealer lots and big discounts on many models. On that front, I did see an article recently, don’t remember where, about the car manufacturers wanting to move Americans in the direction of European car buyers who typically order their new cars instead of buying off the lot. If they could pull that off, it would deemphasize the role of the new car dealers, which is something the manufacturers have wanted to do for many years. Thoughts?
    2023 Chevrolet Silverado, 2019 Chrysler Pacifica
  • andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,729
    I like the idea of custom orders with new cars, but more and more the options boxes are eliminating the need for that, as there aren't any option boxes.

For instance, not sure the '22 Golf R is available without a top heavy hole in the roof. There are like 3 color choices and 2 of them are white and black.

Moral question for everyone here:

If you run into someone that DOESN"T know what they have, and has significantly underpriced it; do you buy it right away?
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
    well, I ordered under that model. But it did not cut the dealer out at all. I had to put the order in through them, and go to the dealer for delivery (and of course test drive if you can find something to drive!) Still need to handle your trade if you have one, and the usual financing stuff (and DMV).

really the only difference is they are saving a bundle on floorplan, not having inventory in stock for months!

https://seattle.craigslist.org/see/cto/d/seattle-2002-lexus-es-300/7438111271.html

Needs brakes, a timing belt, has 150k miles and is still “worth” $5k. W. T. F.

• roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,348
    I drove the Clubman to work today and when I switched it off I got the low battery warning. Last winter I had to charge it when I left it in the unheated garage for a week without driving it, so I decided not to tempt fate. Installation was uneventful and it only took a couple of minutes to let the IBS know a new battery was installed. The prior battery had lasted four years so the new battery should last comfortably past my January 2025 retirement date.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• breldbreld Member Posts: 6,710

2024 Audi Q8 e-tron - 2024 Corvette - 2024 BMW X5 - 2023 Tesla Model Y

edited January 2022
    the lexus does not look bad. worth the money these days. If you want something short term not getting too many miles, should be just fine.

if the front brakes really need it, throw pads on yourself or if not into DIY, just go to a chain place for a cheap brake job. The timing belt, if it went this long, let it ride! Especially if not an interference engine.

Edit: Just checked and it is NOT an interference engine. So no reason to worry about it since most likely if it lets go, just needs a tow and not a new engine.

I have a big issue with “carfax report shows…in 2018” when seller claims to have owned it since 2012. As if he doesn’t know what happened in 2018 and can only state what the carfax shows rather than tell the whole truth.

breld said:
    cool car. Might not even eat you alive based on the huge amount of money the current owner must have spent doing all the work. Actually seems cheap based on that, probably because of a rebuilt title (and from what was replace someone must have hit a post that ripped the bottom off). Would need a good looksee.

• breldbreld Member Posts: 6,710
    Yeah, intriguing for sure, but can’t say I’m overly tempted to even bother to take a look.

Though if it looked good in person with quality repairs, and got a passing grade from the local BMW shop I like here in town, could be a good buy.

Lot of “ifs” there though.

2024 Audi Q8 e-tron - 2024 Corvette - 2024 BMW X5 - 2023 Tesla Model Y

Yeah, it also sounds like it's not a true "individual" car and it just has a steering wheel swapped from one that is.

I don’t love the rebuilt title, personally. I suppose if it were clean title it would fetch more money.

To me good buy is relative - if planning to keep a long time (haha), then maybe worth it. Else the rebuilt title is going to make it hard to flip. Will take the right buyer who isn’t scared off.

• henrynhenryn Member Posts: 4,289
    stickguy said:

the lexus does not look bad. worth the money these days. If you want something short term not getting too many miles, should be just fine.

if the front brakes really need it, throw pads on yourself or if not into DIY, just go to a chain place for a cheap brake job. The timing belt, if it went this long, let it ride! Especially if not an interference engine.

Edit: Just checked and it is NOT an interference engine. So no reason to worry about it since most likely if it lets go, just needs a tow and not a new engine.

I would have to disagree here. About 10 years ago I took my old truck in to the local Firestone when the rear brakes started "sqealing" at me. They did a $150 brake job. Three months and $500 later the brakes worked right again. If you can't do it yourself, go to the dealer or a local mechanic with a top notch reputation, not a chain store.
    2023 Chevrolet Silverado, 2019 Chrysler Pacifica