Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Edmunds Members - Cars and Conversations

Comments

• british_roverbritish_rover Member Posts: 8,502
    edited January 2022

It's cold enough. Had to treat some chickens for frostbite the past few days and cauterize a talon.

• snakeweaselsnakeweasel Member Posts: 19,328
    driver100 said:

Speaking of the car shortage, this is what I was wondering about.
    2 years ago I checked the trade in value of the 2014 C250, and it was $11000.
    I checked Carmax last month and they offered $17000.
    If my car is totaled or stolen, what do you think they will give me for it....the old Blue Book Value or today's freaky pricing?
    I started thinking about it when I saw an ad for a Lexus dealer, and they said they would give you $500 more than Kelly BB price for your trade-in....which seems to me could still be pretty low, unless they have raised their prices too.

I would bet that the average car buyer isn't as up on this as my wise poster buddies here, so they can get away with stuff.

2011 Hyundai Sonata, 2014 BMW 428i convertible, 2015 Honda CTX700D

stickguy said:

here's what OF needs. Ditch that wimpy tune you did. Go big or go home!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d4XVMAM-2Co

Uhummmm, no! I like to see out the front window.
    Just lean your head out the window. That's why they go down. Plus side is that you get the convertible feel as the wind is in your face and you have no roof over you.

stickguy said:

At least you weren't wearing a striped shirt.

• jmonroe1jmonroe1 Member Posts: 7,560

@driver100 said:
    @ab348 That's a tough one ab. We'll have to hear what JMonroe has to say first before commenting.
    My guess is the cabinets are probably warped now....might be a good time to do a refresh at least.

@jmonroe says find the water leak NOW. Finding a leak under the sink is pretty easy to find. Get out a flashlight and start looking. And don’t overlook the drain line from the dishwasher.

jmonroe

'15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
    Talking weather, the good news is that going home it was over 25 degrees warmer than when I went to work. The bad news was it was -12 when I went to work.

@british_rover said:
    It's cold enough. Had to treat some chickens for frostbite the past few days and cauterize a talon.

Why didn’t you save yourself the trouble and just make chicken ala king or something?

jmonroe

'15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
  • laurasdadalaurasdada Member Posts: 4,732
    Moving day is Saturday. Guess what Ma Nature has in store? I shoulda laid big $ on a Nor'easter for that date.
    So, we've changed the move to Friday, which was going to be my day to fully prepare to move. Thanks, Ma!

I still enjoy my New England seasons; snow is a thing of beauty. Eventually it melts, unlike wildfires, hurricanes, tornadoes, earthquakes, mud slides...well, you know what I mean. I hope.

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

• imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,151
    I hate to say it but this morning we bottomed at 0 deg F. It was not as bad as it often is in
    winter with dry snow inches deep and 25 mph windw blowing snow and drifting in where
    roads have been cleared. I think we are going to miss the snow from the front that's going
    to give the East Coast folks a Northeasterner, snow, wind, ugh.

I just hope the youngster next door has repaired the snowblower his dad couldn't get running
    last year in case we get a real snow. His father passed away a few months ago.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

Gee now I really feel slighted, my email account just wone $11 million in the mega millions lottery, I hope it doesn't quit now leaving me without an email account. On the plus side I got contacted by a Libyan civil servant who wants my help getting $15 million of Gadhafi's money out of Libya.

• ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,091
    jmonroe1 said:

@driver100 said:
    @ab348 That's a tough one ab. We'll have to hear what JMonroe has to say first before commenting.

My guess is the cabinets are probably warped now....might be a good time to do a refresh at least.

@jmonroe says find the water leak NOW. Finding a leak under the sink is pretty easy to find. Get out a flashlight and start looking. And don’t overlook the drain line from the dishwasher.

jmonroe

I think I found it but I can't fix it. It seems to be coming from the tube attached to the cold water side of the faucet. Or somewhere inside the faucet since it seems only to drip when the water is used.

Luckily, I have a new kitchen faucet here that I bought a while ago but never tried to install because it was beyond my pay grade. If the plumber concurs I'll get it done this time and then deal with the cabinet problems once I get my guy here.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,545
    weather forecast here is a giant shrug at this point. They know a big storm is coming up the coast. But not quite sure when Friday into Saturday. But mostly the track so the snow could range from an inch to a foot by us. Probably a lot more toward the shore though.

as long as it holds off until after dinner time Friday won't be a big deal. Just hang inside Saturday and shovel as needed.

better news, predicting it will get up over 50 on Wednesday so if that is true, will be able to drag out the hose and get the salt and crap off the Maverick.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,922

I thought I had a leak at the shore under the kitchen sink. Turns out a cleaner fell over and slowly leaked into the cabinet. Didn’t cause structural damage, but bubbled up the finish a bit.

I never had a chance to put down a mat like I have at home.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,729
    edited January 2022

driver100 said:

jmonroe1 said:

andres3 said:

https://youtu.be/4xBQg2MCYMM

All's well until the end when a middle lane camper and left lane camper/illegal unsafe lane changer combine both of their negligence at the same time to make a near miss. Only not a wreck due to excellent braking by the BMW M4.

The middle lane camper should NEVER have been in that lane. The left lane camper should NEVER have been in the left/passing lane at that time crossing over two lanes. The whole thing set in motion due to someone not knowing the first thing about driving in the correct right lane.

How fast was that idiot driving? It sure seemed like he was way above the legal speed limit.

I never really thought of this before but if it weren’t for lane campers that force idiots to slow down there would be even more high speed accidents.

I think some lane campers should be called, “speed controllers”.

jmonroe
    The guy filming was really going way too fast for the traffic he was in. The so called left lane camper was only in the left lane for what 7 seconds and merged into the left lane when the driver filming it was quite a distance behind. My guess is that if he wasn't doing 180+ it would have been a non issue.
    Exactly....the guy going 150 mph in the BMW was the most reckless guy on the road. he was going way to fast considering the speed of the other cars around him, and he wouldn't be able to react in time if someone pulled into his lane at the wrong time. He wasn't driving defensively, and he could have collided with the Mazda if the timing of the Mazda passing happened a bit later.
    Yes if he was going say 10 MPH faster than the flow of traffic the distance he was behind the other car when that car went into the left lane it wouldn't have even been close. Especially since that other car did a very quick pass. It's very dangerous to go that much faster than the flow of traffic.
    I think the pass happened "very quickly" only because the Mazda driver realized his life was in danger after making the boneheaded cutoff lane change.

Had it not been for the pressure from behind, I'm sure they would have lollygagged and dawdled.

Google "lollygag" for assistance.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
  • driver100driver100 Member Posts: 31,976
    andres3 said:

driver100 said:

jmonroe1 said:

andres3 said:

All's well until the end when a middle lane camper and left lane camper/illegal unsafe lane changer combine both of their negligence at the same time to make a near miss. Only not a wreck due to excellent braking by the BMW M4.

The middle lane camper should NEVER have been in that lane. The left lane camper should NEVER have been in the left/passing lane at that time crossing over two lanes. The whole thing set in motion due to someone not knowing the first thing about driving in the correct right lane.

How fast was that idiot driving? It sure seemed like he was way above the legal speed limit.

I never really thought of this before but if it weren’t for lane campers that force idiots to slow down there would be even more high speed accidents.

jmonroe
    The guy filming was really going way too fast for the traffic he was in. The so called left lane camper was only in the left lane for what 7 seconds and merged into the left lane when the driver filming it was quite a distance behind. My guess is that if he wasn't doing 180+ it would have been a non issue.
    Exactly....the guy going 150 mph in the BMW was the most reckless guy on the road. he was going way to fast considering the speed of the other cars around him, and he wouldn't be able to react in time if someone pulled into his lane at the wrong time. He wasn't driving defensively, and he could have collided with the Mazda if the timing of the Mazda passing happened a bit later.
    Yes if he was going say 10 MPH faster than the flow of traffic the distance he was behind the other car when that car went into the left lane it wouldn't have even been close. Especially since that other car did a very quick pass. It's very dangerous to go that much faster than the flow of traffic.
    I think the pass happened "very quickly" only because the Mazda driver realized his life was in danger after making the boneheaded cutoff lane change.

Had it not been for the pressure from behind, I'm sure they would have lollygagged and dawdled.

The Mazda guy didn't think some moron would be traveling twice as fast as every other car on the road. You would have to be an above average driver to anticipate how fast that guy was traveling...hard to do when you glance in your rear view mirror. And the guy in the fast moving BMW....driving in the left lane even when he should move over when he can, is oblivious to all other cars...making him the most unsafe driver in the video.

2017 MB E400 , 2015 MB GLK350, 2014 MB C250

There's a blast from the past. So where have you been and what are you doing these days?

jmonroe1 said:

andres3 said:

jmonroe1 said:

andres3 said:

jmonroe
    First, this was on the limitless Autobahn so "above the legal speed limit" is a non-starter as an argument.

Speed controllers are the ones causing all the high speed collisions, you have it backwards. I don't much give a hoot about drivers so bad they crash into inanimate non-moving objects.
    I wouldn’t have expected your response to be anything different.

Thanks.

jmonroe
    I'd only add that in order to have a high speed collision you need high speed differentials unless your crashing into those inanimate objects.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
    driver100 said:

andres3 said:

driver100 said:

jmonroe1 said:

andres3 said:

jmonroe

The Mazda guy didn't think some moron would be traveling twice as fast as every other car on the road. You would have to be an above average driver to anticipate how fast that guy was traveling...hard to do when you glance in your rear view mirror. And the guy in the fast moving BMW....driving in the left lane even when he should move over when he can, is oblivious to all other cars...making him the most unsafe driver in the video.
    Your post is making me re-watch the video again.
    andres3 said:

driver100 said:

andres3 said:

driver100 said:

jmonroe1 said:

andres3 said:

jmonroe

Okay, in the 2nd half of the video there were a couple opportunities for the BMW to move right a lane (and they should have). The thing is though, it might have been an even worse outcome had they been over one lane to the right as they would have had to brake hard and turn at the same time. The better option then would have been to pass on the right (safer than full 100% braking), even if illegal in Germany. It happens every day in the USA.
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,545
    tjc78 said:

I thought I had a leak at the shore under the kitchen sink. Turns out a cleaner fell over and slowly leaked into the cabinet. Didn’t cause structural damage, but bubbled up the finish a bit.

I never had a chance to put down a mat like I have at home.

back before Thanksgiving, after I had the leaking disposal replaced, I went to Lowes and found a end piece roll of sheet vinyl for cheap. It was enough to do all 3 bathroom vanities, under the kitchen sink, and the cabinet in the laundry room (with a piece left over to go in the garage in front of the door into the house). Didn't take all that long. Highly recommend a pair of electric scissors for cutting it. Came our really nice.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

@driver100 said:
    There's a blast from the past. So where have you been and what are you doing these days?

Spent the last five odd years at my dealership running the service department. I left there a little over a year ago and worked for a R&D/Factory in fabrication and final assembly for a while marking time.

Have a micro farm with chickens, quail, rabbits and more. I just started training for a new job as an auto claims adjuster.

• dad23dad23 Member Posts: 870

Well it only took a year and a few weeks, guess I’ll call tomorrow to see about my first free service :)

• roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,358
    abacomike said:

@driver100 said:

7 Day weather for Tampa Bay

Day...................................HI LO

Wed Scattered showers 60° 54°

Thu Cloudy 68° 52°

Fri Cloudy 65° 37°

Sat Sunny 47° 26°

Sun Sunny 53° 33°

Mon Mostly sunny 66° 42°

Tue Partly cloudy 73° 53°

Wed Partly cloudy 78° 59°

I can live with that. It's still better than 12 and 14F daytimes back home.

Saturday and Sunday as well as Monday night are going to be some of the coldest temps we’ve ever seen down here - 200 miles southeast of Tampa.

It will be interesting to see low the low temperatures affect the 24 at Daytona.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

andres3 said:

driver100 said:

jmonroe1 said:

andres3 said:

jmonroe

Don't have to google anything, the pass was done quickly. The driver of the Mazda driver had almost passed the other car before the BMW caught up to him. Had not the BMW driver been going more than twice as fast as the flow of traffic this wouldn't have been an issue.

driver100 said:

andres3 said:

driver100 said:

jmonroe1 said:

andres3 said:

jmonroe

Most drivers don't look for others drivers going that much faster than everyone else. The Mazda driver likely looked back saw an open lane with a car way back and took the opportunity to move left. To properly judge the speed of a vehicle you would need to look at it longer than it safe to take your eyes off the road in front of you.

• imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,151
    edited January 2022
    This should have been the result for the reckless speeder:

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

andres3 said:

jmonroe1 said:

andres3 said:

jmonroe1 said:

andres3 said:

jmonroe
    First, this was on the limitless Autobahn so "above the legal speed limit" is a non-starter as an argument.

Speed controllers are the ones causing all the high speed collisions, you have it backwards. I don't much give a hoot about drivers so bad they crash into inanimate non-moving objects.

Thanks.

jmonroe
    I'd only add that in order to have a high speed collision you need high speed differentials unless your crashing into those inanimate objects.
    True but the one responsible for the high speed differential was the BMW driver. It's not like the Mazda driver was camped out in the left lane going much slower than everyone else.

dad23 said:

Well it only took a year and a few weeks, guess I’ll call tomorrow to see about my first free service :)

What kind of car is that....and the year...and are you at 5000 miles exactly.

edited January 2022

@driver100 said:

Spent the last five odd years at my dealership running the service department. I left there a little over a year ago and worked for a R&D/Factory in fabrication and final assembly for a while marking time.

Have a micro farm with chickens, quail, rabbits and more. I just started training for a new job as an auto claims adjuster.

Claims adjusting sounds like a good solid field to get into. Micro farming had to be a good diversion. How would you describe being a car sales guy?

andres3 said:

driver100 said:

andres3 said:

driver100 said:

jmonroe1 said:

andres3 said:

jmonroe

The BMW driver is the worst kind of driver. He thinks he is so good that he can handle anything....but he doesn't take into account that the other drivers don't have the same ability. He has "0" that is "Zero" defensive driving capability....not enough time to react if someone does something without anticipating his speed....which is almost impossible to do as he comes up from behind.

• dad23dad23 Member Posts: 870

@driver100 said:
    What kind of car is that....and the year...and are you at 5000 miles exactly.

It’s a 2021 Tacoma. I ran and got take out tonight, noticed it turned as soon as I pulled into the garage.

• oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,664

Moving day is Saturday. Guess what Ma Nature has in store? I shoulda laid big $ on a Nor'easter for that date.
    So, we've changed the move to Friday, which was going to be my day to fully prepare to move. Thanks, Ma!

I still enjoy my New England seasons; snow is a thing of beauty. Eventually it melts, unlike wildfires, hurricanes, tornadoes, earthquakes, mud slides...well, you know what I mean. I hope.

I think that storm moved East so depending on where you are you might get nothing at all. It went from a prediction of 18” to flurries near me.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

Gee now I really feel slighted, my email account just wone $11 million in the mega millions lottery, I hope it doesn't quit now leaving me without an email account. On the plus side I got contacted by a Libyan civil servant who wants my help getting $15 million of Gadhafi's money out of Libya.

All you need now is an email from a Russian hottie looking for love and you’ve hit the trifecta.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

@driver100 said:

My hat is off to you. In all my years of farming I never had the nerve to raise animals. That’s a 24/7 365 job.

Raising veggies and nursery stock was enough for me.

@driver100 said:
    Claims adjusting sounds like a good solid field to get into. Micro farming had to be a good diversion. How would you describe being a car sales guy?

Can you clarify the question?

• houdini1houdini1 Member Posts: 8,327
    edited January 2022
    jmonroe1 said:

stickguy said:

Bills fans probably disagree about the great game part.

Probably. But I'm sure our old poster buddy @houdini1 like it.

jmonroe
    Loved it, I loaned my screen name to Mahomes. Too bad about the Steelers. Roethlisberger has always seemed like a regular stand up guy. One of my favs. All the playoff games were great. Josh Allen is a force of nature. If they had won the overtime flip, they would have probably won the game.

2013 LX 570 2016 LS 460

@driver100 said:

Can you clarify the question?

What are the good and the bad things about being a car salesperson? A lot of us got our start here with "Sales Frontlines" I believe was the topic. Many of us, including me thought selling cars would be a fun job. It is just a guess but I think there was a sweet spot for being a car salesperson, maybe the 50s until the early 2000s. Let me make this the question, "What would you say to someone who said they wanted to make a career out of selling cars?"

@driver100 said:
    What are the good and the bad things about being a car salesperson? A lot of us got our start here with "Sales Frontlines" I believe was the topic. Many of us, including me thought selling cars would be a fun job. It is just a guess but I think there was a sweet spot for being a car salesperson, maybe the 50s until the early 2000s. Let me make this the question, "What would you say to someone who said they wanted to make a career out of selling cars?"

If you can lie and keep a straight face, why not. B)

jmonroe

• ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,091
    The morning commute in my hometown today for some. It got down to -23C in outlying areas overnight, was about -17C when this pic was taken. It ain't pretty, it just looks that way.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• sdasda Member Posts: 6,985
    ab348 said:

The morning commute in my hometown today for some. It got down to -23C in outlying areas overnight, was about -17C when this pic was taken. It ain't pretty, it just looks that way.

Too darn cold!

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

sda said:

ab348 said:

Too darn cold!
    Correction: TOO DAMN COLD

jmonroe
    jmonroe1 said:

@driver100 said:

If you can lie and keep a straight face, why not. B)

jmonroe

lol....I am so glad JMonroe1 whacked his cousin and took his place on this site. He has a much better sense of humor. :p

@stickguy said:
    back before Thanksgiving, after I had the leaking disposal replaced, I went to Lowes and found a end piece roll of sheet vinyl for cheap. It was enough to do all 3 bathroom vanities, under the kitchen sink, and the cabinet in the laundry room (with a piece left over to go in the garage in front of the door into the house). Didn't take all that long. Highly recommend a pair of electric scissors for cutting it. Came our really nice.

Good idea! That’s what I’m gonna do.

• laurasdadalaurasdada Member Posts: 4,732

I think that storm moved East so depending on where you are you might get nothing at all. It went from a prediction of 18” to flurries near me.
    Current forecast for the new home: 12-18"; with a 23% possibility of > 18". Should be a memorable first weekend in Casa Dirt Pile (nicknamed "The Dirt Pile" from early stage pictures of the build; my buddies joked with a coat of paint, the dirt pile will look ever so much more inviting).

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

andres3 said:

jmonroe1 said:

andres3 said:

jmonroe1 said:

andres3 said:

jmonroe

Thanks.

jmonroe
    True but the one responsible for the high speed differential was the BMW driver. It's not like the Mazda driver was camped out in the left lane going much slower than everyone else.
    It's irrelevant that they weren't "camped out" for all of the below reasons:

1. They had no right of way to the far left lane, the BMW did.
    2. They made an illegal unsafe lane change and nearly caused a collision by violating the BMW's right of way (1st violation).
    3. They had no reason to be in any of the far left two lanes; there were 2 clear lanes on the right. (Failure to keep right/impeding traffic 2nd violation).
    4. They made two consecutive unsafe lane changes (+1 violation perhaps right there but I might grant this is a bit nit picky)
    5. They failed to signal (4th violation).
    6. 4 consecutive/simultaneous violations should equal RECKLESS DRIVING misdemeanor violations in every State (that makes 5 violations for the Mazda driver).
    Lastly, what if there was a caravan of M4's all going the same speed in the left lane behind him? You are assuming the BMW was the only fast car. If there were 10 M4's doing the same thing behind him it could be argued they were the prevailing traffic speed, and not the other lanes.

I have to give Samsung some credit. They replaced the ice maker, a bunch of other parts and the entire ice tray all for free.

Time will tell if it’s actually completely fixed, but for now I have ice again…. it’s the little things lol.

• sdasda Member Posts: 6,985
    Glad you had a positive experience with Samsung. Perhaps the warranty support service and parts is improving. Our experience a few years ago was poor and my sister’s experience was the same. TVs, tablets, smart phones I will buy Samsung. They have all been fine. Appliances, not.

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

Believe me I was very surprised!

• abacomikeabacomike Member Posts: 12,258

Forecast for tomorrow and tomorrow night - 37 degrees under gale force winds and windchills in the 20’s. Coldest it’s been in over 20 years.

My heating system takes over an hour to arrive at 75 degrees from 68 degrees. The system is all electric with heating coils - system is really not designed to heat the condo except in acute heating demands. Very costly in terms of electricity usage.

Brought all my plants inside for obvious reasons.

Right now we have extremely dense fog - dew point is 64 degrees but temperature outside is 62 degrees. 😩🤓

2021 Genesis G90

abacomike said:

Forecast for tomorrow and tomorrow night - 37 degrees under gale force winds and windchills in the 20’s. Coldest it’s been in over 20 years.

My heating system takes over an hour to arrive at 75 degrees from 68 degrees. The system is all electric with heating coils - system is really not designed to heat the condo except in acute heating demands. Very costly in terms of electricity usage.

Brought all my plants inside for obvious reasons.

Right now we have extremely dense fog - dew point is 64 degrees but temperature outside is 62 degrees. 😩🤓

Stay warm @Mike but compared to some you don’t have it too bad. We have a poster buddy in the northeast who is moving this weekend. I’ll bet he’d gladly trade places with you.

jmonroe