Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Edmunds Members - Cars and Conversations

Comments

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,188
    68 F to 75 F in an hour sounds reasonable.

But, if it's just electric heat, you are correct, it is very expensive.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• jmonroe1jmonroe1 Member Posts: 7,463
    I have a question for my poster buddies.

I received my Sirius XM bill for both cars yesterday. Their cost per car is $360.15 cents. When you stop laughing I’d like to know what you guys are paying. I like XM and at one time I said I’d pay full boat if I had to but now I can’t afford to buy 2 aircraft carriers.

Thanks.

jmonroe
    '15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,435
    75? Dang. You must be made of money.

Like I tell my wife. Put a sweater on.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• dad23dad23 Member Posts: 866
    Holy smokes batman, I pay $6.55/month for the truck.
    jmonroe1 said:

I received my Sirius XM bill for both cars yesterday. Their cost per car is $360.15 cents. When you stop laughing I’d like to know what you guys are paying. I like XM and at one time I said I’d pay full boat if I had to but now I can’t afford to buy 2 aircraft carriers.

Thanks.

jmonroe

Just renewed for about $60 for 6 months. 1 car. I stopped calling. Just log into your online account and there will be a special offer listed. Seems to be the same thing the agents can give you. If it’s suitable, just click ok, and done.

Not sure if doing it that way requires credit card or if the will bill you.

But short answer, should not have to pay more than $10/month per car. IMO.

What @stickguy says.

I think my total bill with fees/taxes is about $72, every year. But, I have to call each May, and ask for it again.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

I save money now since the new car is chintzy, and doesn’t even gave XM

• abacomikeabacomike Member Posts: 12,255

@jmonroe1 said:

Thanks.

jmonroe

$68.00 a year - but that’s for just the first year. I will have to cancel it in September if they don’t renew it for a similar subscription price, The subscription is for their all channel option as well as online with their mobile app.

2021 Genesis G90

• laurasdadalaurasdada Member Posts: 4,686
    JMonroe, I'm on the initial SXM deal $6/month. When the time comes, I'll ask for the same deal; which is what the wife has done for a couple of renewals (so, same deal as KYFDX, sounds like).

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

• graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    I know some here are pickle ball fans (i.e. @driver100 ).

Daughter of a friend of mine just started her own pickle ball company. If motivated, throw her some love (and or dollars).

Thx!

https://playnettie.com/
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
  • graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    My thermostat is set at 68º. That’s the warmest I want it in the house.
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
  • tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,851

I run 68 downstairs and 65 upstairs. Nice and comfy for sleeping.

Re:XM they send emails almost daily for $60 a year.

Also… pro tip! You don’t need two accounts for two cars. Add the account to the car you drive the most.. then install the app on your phone and stream it when in the other car. Works exactly the same. If you have Apple CarPlay it literally is the same as built in.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,253
    I just got 6 months for $46 including taxes and royalties.
    Just call them and tell them you want to cancel because it's too expensive, but will renew if they can give you a better deal.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • carnaughtcarnaught Member Posts: 3,497
    edited January 2022

I just got 6 months for $46 including taxes and royalties.
    Just call them and tell them you want to cancel because it's too expensive, but will renew if they can give you a better deal.

@jmonroe, agreed. Call and talk to the cancellation dept. and tell them you want the 6 or 12 mos. promotion ($5-7/mo.) or you will cancel right now. Cancel if you need to. You can always use this link:

https://care.siriusxm.com/winback_view.action?plans=sir_aud_evt,promo - select - 5mo - 19.99 - (5for20)&utm_source=sem_Google&utm_campaign=SEM_Google_Search_Brand_Alpha_General&utm_medium=sem_#/winBack

Rinse and repeat a couple days before the promotion is to run out or you’ll be auto-charged the highest rate, You’ll need to set a reminder to do this either on your smartphone, pad or computer, or if you’re not at least a borderline techie, mark it on your calendar.

• oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,559
    edited January 2022
    stickguy said:

I save money now since the new car is chintzy, and doesn’t even gave XM

I’ve had two cars that were Sirius capable but never continued after the free trial. Maybe if I did a lot of long distance trips it would be worth it but I never saw any value to it. At $360/year I’d be pulling wires out of the dash to cancel it.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• snakeweaselsnakeweasel Member Posts: 19,290
    andres3 said:

andres3 said:

jmonroe1 said:

andres3 said:

jmonroe1 said:

andres3 said:

https://youtu.be/4xBQg2MCYMM

All's well until the end when a middle lane camper and left lane camper/illegal unsafe lane changer combine both of their negligence at the same time to make a near miss. Only not a wreck due to excellent braking by the BMW M4.

The middle lane camper should NEVER have been in that lane. The left lane camper should NEVER have been in the left/passing lane at that time crossing over two lanes. The whole thing set in motion due to someone not knowing the first thing about driving in the correct right lane.

How fast was that idiot driving? It sure seemed like he was way above the legal speed limit.

I never really thought of this before but if it weren’t for lane campers that force idiots to slow down there would be even more high speed accidents.

I think some lane campers should be called, “speed controllers”.

jmonroe
    First, this was on the limitless Autobahn so "above the legal speed limit" is a non-starter as an argument.

Speed controllers are the ones causing all the high speed collisions, you have it backwards. I don't much give a hoot about drivers so bad they crash into inanimate non-moving objects.
    I wouldn’t have expected your response to be anything different.

Thanks.

jmonroe
    I'd only add that in order to have a high speed collision you need high speed differentials unless your crashing into those inanimate objects.
    True but the one responsible for the high speed differential was the BMW driver. It's not like the Mazda driver was camped out in the left lane going much slower than everyone else.
    It's irrelevant that they weren't "camped out" for all of the below reasons:

Well spoken, Well said.
    andres3 said:

They had no right of way to the far left lane, the BMW did.
    Actually they had the right to move into the left lane to pass traffic going slower than them. Just because there is a car in the left lane far befind them doesn't remove that right.
    andres3 said:

They made an illegal unsafe lane change and nearly caused a collision by violating the BMW's right of way (1st violation).
    Again the BMW might not have the right of way. Plus have you ever considered was the one driving in an unsafe manner. He was going at a very high rate of speed passing traffic like they were standing still.
    andres3 said:

They had no reason to be in any of the far left two lanes; there were 2 clear lanes on the right. (Failure to keep right/impeding traffic 2nd violation).
    I reviewed the video and sorry but the left lane was the only open lane at that point so he had every right to pass those vehicles in the left lane.
    andres3 said:

They made two consecutive unsafe lane changes (+1 violation perhaps right there but I might grant this is a bit nit picky)
    I will give you that he made two consecutive lane changes, but I will challenge that they were unsafe.
    andres3 said:

They failed to signal (4th violation).
    The jury is still out on that. I reviewed the video on my large TV and watched the left turn signal. There was a glare on that point of the car which would make seeing any turn signal very difficult. So we don't know if he had a turn signal or not.
    andres3 said:

4 consecutive/simultaneous violations should equal RECKLESS DRIVING misdemeanor violations in every State (that makes 5 violations for the Mazda driver).

I really didn't see as many violations as you would like there to be. Now if you want to talk about reckless driving talk to the BMW driver. Going that much faster than the surrounding traffic is that much faster.
    andres3 said:

Lastly, what if there was a caravan of M4's all going the same speed in the left lane behind him? You are assuming the BMW was the only fast car. If there were 10 M4's doing the same thing behind him it could be argued they were the prevailing traffic speed, and not the other lanes.

Well lets look at it this way. In 50 seconds the BMW passed 33 vehicles at a high rate of speed and has no one pass him. So it is reasonable to believe he was the fastest vehicle on the road in the immediate area. Now you could argue that if there were 10 M4's traveling behind him at the same speed they would be the prevailing speed but with at least three times as many vehicles were traveling at at least half the speed of the M4's it would be like arguing that the earth is flat. The better argument would be that the M4's were racing therefore driving recklessly.

2011 Hyundai Sonata, 2014 BMW 428i convertible, 2015 Honda CTX700D

tjc78 said:

I have to give Samsung some credit. They replaced the ice maker, a bunch of other parts and the entire ice tray all for free.

Time will tell if it’s actually completely fixed, but for now I have ice again…. it’s the little things lol.

Well that's a first, someone in Jersey in January being glad they have ice. B)

jmonroe1 said:

Thanks.

jmonroe

I pay zero dollars. I liked MeTV FM much better than Sirius and it's free. When I am out of range I have plenty of music on my phone that I can play, and I even like that stuff.

Thanks for the XM info guys.

I’ve been doing the cancellation dance with XM every year since I had XM in my first car (‘09 Genny). Just wanted to know the going rate now.

FWIW, I don’t give them my CC number. I’m more than willing to pay a 2 dollar billing fee because to me that is better than them hitting my card for full boat every year then calling to have them make the adjustment.

Thanks again.

jmonroe
    '15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
    Tom, I’m not sure it’s quite that easy. I did play with the app briefly in the Maverick. From what I can tell, the steering wheel controls don’t change stations. I can put favorites on the touch screen and scroll through that, but it’s no where near as safe or convenient. At least I don’t have to pick up the phone.

If I use the app on a trip, most likely will just pick a station and let it play. In the other car, I flip the thumb wheel all the time to scroll.

• imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,132
    abacomike said:

My heating system takes over an hour to arrive at 75 degrees from 68 degrees. The system is all electric with heating coils - system is really not designed to heat the condo except in acute heating demands. Very costly in terms of electricity usage.

Is your heat from an air conditioner unit that is also a heat pump to supply heat efficiently at
    a certain rate, but that uses resistance strips to supply extra heat when the heat pump
    isn't keeping up? Or is it an AC that uses only resistance heat strips to supply heat?
    Just curious.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,027
    A heat pump would never need a resistance element to supply heat in Florida.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

edited January 2022

tjc78 said:

I have to give Samsung some credit. They replaced the ice maker, a bunch of other parts and the entire ice tray all for free.

Time will tell if it’s actually completely fixed, but for now I have ice again…. it’s the little things lol.

Looks like my area’s freaky no snow good luck continues to hold. The latest “storm of the century” is going to miss us completely while giving Boston 2 feet.

To bad stickguy wimped out prematurely. His son won’t even have enough snow to sweep off the porch. He could have shown off his new Maverick to the kid days earlier.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

@graphicguy said:
    My thermostat is set at 68º. That’s the warmest I want it in the house.

Much too cool for me! 74-77 degrees is my comfort zone. But remember, I live in a very warm climate and have become acclimated to warmer temps.

When I lived in Palm Desert California, I had similar problems acclimating to winter temps in the 40’s and 50’s in the evenings and 60’s during the day - May through October daytime temps in the 100’s and evening temps in the 90’s is the reason.

2021 Genesis G90

@imidazol97 said:
    Is your heat from an air conditioner unit that is also a heat pump to supply heat efficiently at
    a certain rate, but that uses resistance strips to supply extra heat when the heat pump
    isn't keeping up? Or is it an AC that uses only resistance heat strips to supply heat?
    Just curious.

AC unit just has resistance heat strips - I have used the heat setting to warm the condo only once or twice in the past few years.

2021 Genesis G90

tjc78 said:

Looks my area’s freaky no snow good luck continues to hold. The latest “storm of the century” is going to miss us completely while giving Boston 2 feet.

To bad stickguy wimped out prematurely. His son won’t even have enough snow to sweep off the porch. He could have shown off his new Maverick to the kid days earlier.
    Not your part of NY. to see my father down by NYC. they had some already and will get more tomorrow.

edited January 2022

The only reason I keep Sirius/XM is the quality of HD audio now supplied with their new satellite systems. My audio system in the G90 is truly awesome (Lexicon) with 17 speakers coupled with Quantum Logic surround sound system and 12 channel digital external amplifier (amplifier is in the trunk) and 900 watts. The audio in the G90 is the best sound/audio reproduction I have ever experienced in a car.

For more info on the Lexicon sound system in the G90, YouTube has a great demo video on its development and awards it has received.

2021 Genesis G90

I lived in a ratty townhouse from 1976-1985, that just had an electric furnace for heat, and regular central A/C unit. No heat pump. $300+ monthly electric bills in winter, which was more than I made in a week, for most of that time. 1100 sq feet

We've lived in this house for 23 years (natural gas/central air), and I've never had a $300 gas/electric bill.
    2200 sq feet.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• driver100driver100 Member Posts: 31,964

I know some here are pickle ball fans (i.e. @driver100 ).

Daughter of a friend of mine just started her own pickle ball company. If motivated, throw her some love (and or dollars).

Thx!

https://playnettie.com/

Nice, the paddles look nice and the kit is well done. Good luck, great to see someone startup their own business.
    Pickleball is very addictive, almost everyone who tries it likes it.

2017 MB E400 , 2015 MB GLK350, 2014 MB C250

abacomike said:

AC unit just has resistance heat strips - I have used the heat setting to warm the condo only once or twice in the past few years.

Thanks for responding to that. I know we've stayed in motels on various trips through
    the southeast from Pigeon Forge/Gatlinburg, Ashville, Charleston, Jacksonville,
    and Ft. Lauderdale.

Some of those had a heat pump reversing of the AC with backup strips for
    heat when the thermostat demand setting was more than a certain margin
    above what the heat pump would supply over a time. Others just had heat
    strips.

Our current house is 2700 sq/ft plus 700 sq/ft finished basement.
    I keep 2 or 3 of the 5 vents in the basement open during peak heating season.
    We have gas heat/dryer/water heater.
    For the last 5 years, the natural gas bill has averaged between $95 and $105 a month per year.
  • sdasda Member Posts: 6,936
    Unless they have improved significantly, I am not a fan of a heatpump. Those that I've had in the past worked poorly when the temps fell below freezing. I was given the 'working as designed' excuse more than once when the service folks came out and I complained the house wouldn't warm above 65 when it was colder. It would work fine when outside temps were above 40.

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

I always thought heat pumps were really only designed for areas where it didn't usually get close to freezing.

The heat pumps have improved in efficiency since the late 70s and early
    80s. My current heat pump is a Lennox and about 7 years old now.

AND the thermostat by Honeywell has two settings
    for when it kicks on the resistance strips anytime
    the temperature is below the temperature set on the Stat.

One setting is for comfort and is
    quick to kick in the strips for a little extra heat if the thermostat senses the
    temp is almost a degree below the request setting.
    The other setting on the thermostat allowed a larger drop before kicking in resistance
    heat, which saves electricity by allowing the unit to catch up with
    the heat pump when it can.

• sdasda Member Posts: 6,936

quick to kick in the strips for a little extra heat if the thermostat senses the
    The other setting on the thermostat allowed a larger drop before kicking in resistance

Does it work well, maintain the desired temp? I know it can get expensive to run when the electric heat strips are on.

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

edited January 2022

@imidazol97 said:

In the Condos in my community development, heat pumps are not available. I have a Rheem AC unit (compressor is on the roof) and the air handling unit is in my foyer - takes a 1x21x45 air filter at the return air-flow in the ceiling of my foyer. It’s a 2-1/2 ton unit. Does a great job cooling off my living space (1350 sq ft) but heating the apartment is not great.

2021 Genesis G90

stickguy said:

tjc78 said:

Looks my area’s freaky no snow good luck continues to hold. The latest “storm of the century” is going to miss us completely while giving Boston 2 feet.

Not your part of NY. to see my father down by NYC. they had some already and will get more tomorrow.
    You’re driving a new car near NYC? Good luck not getting it stolen or smacked?

kyfdx said:

I lived in a ratty townhouse from 1976-1985, that just had an electric furnace for heat, and regular central A/C unit. No heat pump. $300+ monthly electric bills in winter, which was more than I made in a week, for most of that time. 1100 sq feet

We've lived in this house for 23 years (natural gas/central air), and I've never had a $300 gas/electric bill.
    2200 sq feet.

Our house is all electric and we just got a $400 bill despite being heavily insulated and partially solar.

abacomike said:

@imidazol97 said:

In the Condos in my community development, heat pumps are not available. I have a Rheem AC unit (compressor is on the roof) and the air handling unit is in my foyer - takes a 1x21x45 air filter at the return air-flow in the ceiling of my foyer. It’s a 2-1/2 ton unit. Does a great job cooling off my living space (1350 sq ft) but heating the apartment is not great.

Get yourself a cheap little electric space heater. 100% efficient. Get the cheapest 1500 watt variety. Stay away from the heavily advertised “ceramic” or space age nonsense. They all use the same electricity and put out about 5200 btu of heat.

edited January 2022
    How about a job related scam? Salary was the biggest tipoff.

Hello A*** *!
    Home based job for U.S. Citizen only!

I am an HR representative and I have found your profile through employment agency.

We are in search for a commodity package handler for a part-time position with our company. Job responsibilities include review of contents of the packages that will be delivered to your home or office address. You will also need to write a product review on our dashboard and then return the product to the destination.

No special knowledge is required to work on this position. You just need to be a attentive, diligent and responsible person.

Monthly pay will be in the range of 4000 to 5000 USD.

If you are interested in this vacancy, please let me know about that in your response, I will send you the detailed information.

kyfdx said:

2200 sq feet.

Our house is all electric and we just got a $400 bill despite being heavily insulated and partially solar.
    Wow, if I believed everything I’ve heard and read about solar I’d sign up. Since you already have solar It sounds like you gotta sign up with another Sun.

jmonroe
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,889

Hello A*** *!

Well, when they start off calling you an A******, it isn't necessarily a good sign. But, apart from that, is the scam that you inquire and they ask you to give them money to get started? "we take the deposit to protect the items we are sending you and then give it back when you return the product." Send me the email. I'd love to respond to it.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

@stickguy said:
    Tom, I’m not sure it’s quite that easy. I did play with the app briefly in the Maverick. From what I can tell, the steering wheel controls don’t change stations. I can put favorites on the touch screen and scroll through that, but it’s no where near as safe or convenient. At least I don’t have to pick up the phone.

If I use the app on a trip, most likely will just pick a station and let it play. In the other car, I flip the thumb wheel all the time to scroll.

Maybe I over simplified it. I thought if you selected a station on live radio you could switch between the stations easily. Maybe my memory is foggy.

As for heating bills. Our home is about 3200 above and 1100 finished space in the basement. Gas everything but dryer. Gas was $224 this month, electric $155. I’ll take it in NJ. Funny thing our 1800 sq ft rancher wasn’t much different.

@abacomike
    I had the Lexicon audio in my Genesis. It was quite good. Better than the systems in either of my Volvos (the Harmon Kardon.. not the available B&W).

Our snow has gone from 2-12 inches this morning to 12-20.

Hello A*** *!
    Home based job for U.S. Citizen only!

I am an HR representative and I have found your profile through employment agency.

We are in search for a commodity package handler for a part-time position with our company. Job responsibilities include review of contents of the packages that will be delivered to your home or office address. You will also need to write a product review on our dashboard and then return the product to the destination.

No special knowledge is required to work on this position. You just need to be a attentive, diligent and responsible person.

Monthly pay will be in the range of 4000 to 5000 USD.

If you are interested in this vacancy, please let me know about that in your response, I will send you the detailed information.

That’s the classic reshipper scam. They order items with stolen credit cards and have a chump send them on to the scammers making it harder for law enforcement to track them.

edited January 2022

Speaking of job offers. Had a very interesting proposal from a recruiter today for a small company out of Austin looking to expand into new markets and locations.

Right up my alley but not sure I want to jump ship again so soon.

Our snow has gone from 2-12 inches this morning to 12-20.

You should have applied the same philosophy as when buying stocks. That is, you should have bought when the snow fall prediction was at its low point for the storm you’re about to get any minute now. Maybe next time. :(

jmonroe
    our forecast (time and amount) has been all over the place. So I am just ignoring it. Whenever it stops tomorrow, I will go out and shovel however much is on the driveway.

• roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,312

kyfdx said:

2200 sq feet.

Our house is all-electric and our bill averages around $150.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• 28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,333

@tjc78 said:
    Speaking of job offers. Had a very interesting proposal from a recruiter today for a small company out of Austin looking to expand into new markets and locations.

Right up my alley but not sure I want to jump ship again so soon.

Never hurts to talk and learn.

2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible