Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Edmunds Members - Cars and Conversations

Comments

• fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,096
    Remote I assume, from what I've heard, you don't want to dip your toes into the Austin real estate market.
    tjc78 said:

Speaking of job offers. Had a very interesting proposal from a recruiter today for a small company out of Austin looking to expand into new markets and locations.

Right up my alley but not sure I want to jump ship again so soon.

• tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,852

@28firefighter said:

@tjc78 said:
    Speaking of job offers. Had a very interesting proposal from a recruiter today for a small company out of Austin looking to expand into new markets and locations.

Never hurts to talk and learn.

I know. I may reach out. I have a great boss where I’m at and due to my experience it’s an “easy” day to day but lately a few thing happened that make me shake my head. I could fix it.. but it’s out of my lane.

At the end of the day I’m lucky. Pretty much zero travel and WFH making more than I ever have, but I feel like I could make more of an impact elsewhere. Make sense?

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,559

kyfdx said:

I lived in a ratty townhouse from 1976-1985, that just had an electric furnace for heat, and regular central A/C unit. No heat pump. $300+ monthly electric bills in winter, which was more than I made in a week, for most of that time. 1100 sq feet

We've lived in this house for 23 years (natural gas/central air), and I've never had a $300 gas/electric bill.
    2200 sq feet.

Our house is all electric and we just got a $400 bill despite being heavily insulated and partially solar.
    Our house is all-electric and our bill averages around $150.
    Stay out of NY where we shut down cheap energy and embrace the most costly.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• Hikeandbikeare4me_Hikeandbikeare4me_ Member Posts: 47
    driver100 said:

Kind of reminds me of an Edsel:

Sweet car!
  • roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,312

kyfdx said:

I lived in a ratty townhouse from 1976-1985, that just had an electric furnace for heat, and regular central A/C unit. No heat pump. $300+ monthly electric bills in winter, which was more than I made in a week, for most of that time. 1100 sq feet

We've lived in this house for 23 years (natural gas/central air), and I've never had a $300 gas/electric bill.
    2200 sq feet.

Our house is all electric and we just got a $400 bill despite being heavily insulated and partially solar.
    My electric utility is a co-op.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• 28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,333

@tjc78 said:

@28firefighter said:

@tjc78 said:

Never hurts to talk and learn.

I know. I may reach out. I have a great boss where I’m at and due to my experience it’s an “easy” day to day but lately a few thing happened that make me shake my head. I could fix it.. but it’s out of my lane.

At the end of the day I’m lucky. Pretty much zero travel and WFH making more than I ever have, but I feel like I could make more of an impact elsewhere. Make sense?

I’m in a very similar boat across the board.

2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible
  • roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,312
    I have had it with my BP Visa card; I've had it for decades but now it's fraud detection algorithms are beyond aggravating. In the past I would occasionally receive a fraud alert if I was on vacation and made a couple of high dollar purchases. I'd have to call or reply to a text that those purchases were authorized. That was fine; but now their fraud detection is a train wreck.

My wife and I support some charities on a monthly based and I set up the payments on the BP Visa to get reward points. Three times in the past year BP has texted fraud alerts to me at 4:00 am local time informing me that they have denied several charges- and to text "Y" to them if they are authorized. In all three case all of the charges except for the last "alert" were those recurring monthly payments to charities. Then I get emails from the charities advising my card was rejected. In the first two cases I called and advised what was going on. Didn't help. In fact, the third incident not only included monthly charities but also a gas purchase at the local BP station I use almost exclusively.

I'm done with them.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,435
    one thing about getting old (only a few months from the next mileston, a big one!). You stop thinking about the next big job opportunity, and just hope to be left alone until you are ready to retire! Had a great gig going with my long term boss. Figured would ride that out a few years then pack it in. Unfortunately the big shots decided to shuffle people around and we got separated. New arrangement, not a fan.

so suddenly an interesting opportunity popping up, might not be such a bad idea! As long as I don't have to work too hard....

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,889

I’m thinking of testing products for $5k USD per month.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

at one point I considered quitting the corporate gig, and getting a transitional job doing something like selling cars. But that idea is pretty much a non-starter now.

will see what the world is like a year from now when it might be an option.

I figured a small local used place that sells upscale cars would be a nice place to be. Not absurd hours and fun stuff to play with. Do some internet discussions, take pictures, help get cars from the auction, and sell a few here and there.

considering if I was retired I would probably hang around a place like that just to get out of the house, getting paid to do it would be gravy!

• jmonroe1jmonroe1 Member Posts: 7,464
    stickguy said:

at one point I considered quitting the corporate gig, and getting a transitional job doing something like selling cars. But that idea is pretty much a non-starter now.

will see what the world is like a year from now when it might be an option.

I figured a small local used place that sells upscale cars would be a nice place to be. Not absurd hours and fun stuff to play with. Do some internet discussions, take pictures, help get cars from the auction, and sell a few here and there.

considering if I was retired I would probably hang around a place like that just to get out of the house, getting paid to do it would be gravy!

How about a gig with Enterprise? Two of our poster buddies smile all day while driving various cars and say they can’t believe they get paid to do it.

jmonroe
    '15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)

@fintail said:
    Remote I assume, from what I've heard, you don't want to dip your toes into the Austin real estate market.

They didn’t specify, but that will be the first question. Relocation is something we have no interest in.

My wife was offered a position in Charlotte, NC right after we bought the new house. We considered it for a nanosecond and then realized we couldn’t do it.

• snakeweaselsnakeweasel Member Posts: 19,290

@stickguy said:
    one thing about getting old (only a few months from the next mileston, a big one!). You stop thinking about the next big job opportunity, and just hope to be left alone until you are ready to retire!

That describes me perfectly. Just enjoying the ride for a few more years till retirement.

2011 Hyundai Sonata, 2014 BMW 428i convertible, 2015 Honda CTX700D

kyfdx said:

2200 sq feet.

There’s a little village just down the hill from me that took over an old generating plant on the river and formed a co op. That village has electricity rates about half what the rest of the state does.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

I have had it with my BP Visa card; I've had it for decades but now it's fraud detection algorithms are beyond aggravating. In the past I would occasionally receive a fraud alert if I was on vacation and made a couple of high dollar purchases. I'd have to call or reply to a text that those purchases were authorized. That was fine; but now their fraud detection is a train wreck.

My wife and I support some charities on a monthly based and I set up the payments on the BP Visa to get reward points. Three times in the past year BP has texted fraud alerts to me at 4:00 am local time informing me that they have denied several charges- and to text "Y" to them if they are authorized. In all three case all of the charges except for the last "alert" were those recurring monthly payments to charities. Then I get emails from the charities advising my card was rejected. In the first two cases I called and advised what was going on. Didn't help. In fact, the third incident not only included monthly charities but also a gas purchase at the local BP station I use almost exclusively.

I'm done with them.

That’s why I use cash and paper checks. I don’t trust them new fangled electrons. :@

• sdasda Member Posts: 6,936
    Very unusual for our area, we’ve had snow for three weekends in a row. Enough already! I feel for those north getting hammered by the snow storm this weekend. Time for an Irish coffee or Bloody Mary!

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

• ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,029
    stickguy said:

one thing about getting old (only a few months from the next mileston, a big one!). You stop thinking about the next big job opportunity, and just hope to be left alone until you are ready to retire! Had a great gig going with my long term boss. Figured would ride that out a few years then pack it in. Unfortunately the big shots decided to shuffle people around and we got separated. New arrangement, not a fan.

so suddenly an interesting opportunity popping up, might not be such a bad idea! As long as I don't have to work too hard....

Something similar happened to me. My last employer was great and let me make more than I had ever expected. But then one boss left, a new one came in, and then over the next few years others at my level were replaced as well. Many were various degrees of clueless and It was no longer fun to go to work. I had a few opportunities to jump ship but still valued the security of what I was familiar with over the great ughknown. When my health problems cropped up that made it easier to pull the rip cord and get out. No real regrets, but when I see someone I knew and worked with - competent, but certainly no superstar - making $500K now I do wonder.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    kyfdx said:

2200 sq feet.

Same climate and area as @kyfdx. Just paid my gas/electric bill yesterday. $147/mo…even billing. No complaints, here! 2,700 sq ft.

That said, house is insulated well. HVAC is all “up to snuff”. Stove/Oven is gas, as is furnace. Thermostat is set at 68º in the winter, 72º in the summer, and sparingly used in Spring and Fall.
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring

@stickguy said:

one thing about getting old (only a few months from the next mileston, a big one!). You stop thinking about the next big job opportunity, and just hope to be left alone until you are ready to retire!

That describes me perfectly. Just enjoying the ride for a few more years till retirement.

This place is getting old.

Come July I’ll hit a magic number too. If I knew I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself.

jmonroe
    '15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
    sda said:

Very unusual for our area, we’ve had snow for three weekends in a row. Enough already! I feel for those north getting hammered by the snow storm this weekend. Time for an Irish coffee or Bloody Mary!

Why water it down? :s

jmonroe

Along with everything else.. I’m realizing our utility rates are higher than other states.

@tjc78 said:
    Along with everything else.. I’m realizing our utility rates are higher than other states.

Maybe it’s not too late for Mrs. tjc78 to reconsider that NC offer.

jmonroe

kyfdx said:

2200 sq feet.

There’s a little village just down the hill from me that took over an old generating plant on the river and formed a co op. That village has electricity rates about half what the rest of the state does.
    which one? I am also looking in your area too since it is more convenient to the family we are going there to be near!

I still love NC. Will never convince my wife to move south now though. Missed that shot when our daughter moved back up here after going to school there. I really thought she was going to stay down south but no such luck.

• driver100driver100 Member Posts: 31,964

How about a job related scam? Salary was the biggest tipoff.

Hello A*** *!
    Home based job for U.S. Citizen only!

I am an HR representative and I have found your profile through employment agency

No special knowledge is required to work on this position. You just need to be a attentive, diligent and responsible person.

Monthly pay will be in the range of 4000 to 5000 USD.

If you are interested in this vacancy, please let me know about that in your response, I will send you the detailed information.

A few oddities in the use of the English language too. I think most people would say $4000 to $5000 (U.S.maybe), not 4000 to 5000 USD.

2017 MB E400 , 2015 MB GLK350, 2014 MB C250

• abacomikeabacomike Member Posts: 12,255

@tjc78 said:

Everything is higher in Jersey than in other States!!! 🤪😜🤓

2021 Genesis G90

@driver100 said:
    A few oddities in the use of the English language too. I think most people would say $4000 to $5000 (U.S.maybe), not 4000 to 5000 USD.

I was reading posts from bottom to top and when I read the post above, I knew it was driver100’s - sure enough!!! 🤪😜🤓

2021 Genesis G90

@stickguy said:
    I still love NC. Will never convince my wife to move south now though. Missed that shot when our daughter moved back up here after going to school there. I really thought she was going to stay down south but no such luck.

My nephew has the same opinion - started in practice in Charlotte and is now in Raleigh. He decided not to retire and move up to Nantucket but to remain in NC for the foreseeable future. Smart decision!

2021 Genesis G90

raleigh is a great area.

• driver100driver100 Member Posts: 31,964
    abacomike said:

@driver100 said:

I was reading posts from bottom to top and when I read the post above, I knew it was driver100’s - sure enough!!! 🤪😜🤓

My dream job would be a forensic expert. :p

2017 MB E400 , 2015 MB GLK350, 2014 MB C250

• explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,254
    Old Ranger and Maverick comparison.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LMSeEQEnKrk
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,096
    edited January 2022
    Some places I wouldn't move to just because of the housing situation (also a hilariously bad time to move to Seattle unless one has no kids or has considerable funds).

I get random recruiter contacts now and then, most of who I think don't actually read my info, as for one I am not aware of any of my online profiles saying I am looking for a new position, and some of the positions suggested for me are barely related to my CV, if at all.
    tjc78 said:

@fintail said:

They didn’t specify, but that will be the first question. Relocation is something we have no interest in.

My wife was offered a position in Charlotte, NC right after we bought the new house. We considered it for a nanosecond and then realized we couldn’t do it.

@driver100 said:
    My dream job would be a forensic expert. :p

My twin brother was chief of corporate fraud and forensics, worldwide, for several major accounting firms from 1987-2009. He even taught forensic accounting as a professor at the University of West Virginia. He still does some consulting at times.

2021 Genesis G90

• MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 240,090
    I've finally gotten the wife to agree to a move south, someday. Talked about options (dry heat vs. wet heat) and she admitted she'd like a dry heat.

Threw out some options to her (NM, AZ, NV) and she thought NM would be her first choice.

A quick internet search turned up a lot of new construction homes in Las Cruces for under $350K. 1500sf, 3 bed, 2 bath, although there are some 4/2.5's available in that price range, as well.

Question is, when will we pull the trigger? Have to sell the studio first, which may not happen for a few years.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

sda said:

We got a near miss. 1” maybe 2” of snow, not even worth shoveling. Still, a few things I noticed going out for my breakfast this morning. First, people have no idea how to drive in snow. I saw several car speeding along like it was a fine July day at above speed limits on roads that weren’t plowed yet and were very slick. I guess they figured all their car nannies would jump in and save them. Second, I realized that the OEM tires on my Kia really stink. I think I’ll replace them next year with a more aggressive tread. It was a pain to see the traction control and ABS lights blinking at the same time.

• qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,889

We got more than expected. I just plowed about 8” worth and we are expecting a couple more before it ends.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

stickguy said:

kyfdx said:

2200 sq feet.

which one? I am also looking in your area too since it is more convenient to the family we are going there to be near!
    Green Island. Nice place if you like more urban type living. Former home to the Ford radiator plant before they went to making them out of plastic. Old timers claim you can almost walk across the river on top of all the copper radiators thrown in the water so the bosses wouldn’t know how many botched soldering jobs had occurred

sda said:

It's just us up north spreading our wealth of the stuff. Enjoy.

ab348 said:

the great ughknown.

I love that and now will use it wisely.

Just checked outside weather stats:

Temp is 52 degrees
    Humidity is 32%
    Under a 🚩 (red flag) warning due to low humidity levels.

Forecast is for low 40’s tonight with windchills in the low 30’s. Tomorrow’s low is forecast to be mid-30’s with windchills in the 20’s. Highs are forecast to be in the mid-50’s to low 60’s.

Going out for dinner tonight at 7:30 PM - pulling out my long pants, sweater and leather mid-length coat that I haven’t worn in over 10 years. Ugh!!!

2021 Genesis G90

hard to get an accurate measurement with the wind but we got about 8" at least. Just finished getting the whole driveway done and my old bones are tired. At least the wife helped this time. usually I would have done a few passes (every 3-4") but since it snowed heavy from about midnight to dawn, that was not happening. Mostly stopped, just some flurries which can melt off.

only problem is the plows have not come through. so at some point I will be back out to clean out the ice dam at the bottom. Always fun.

my daughter is in Boston and they are getting pounded. Not that she cars, since she lives on the 9th floor of a tower and doesn't have a car. She did say playing basketball in the indoor gym, watching the snow through the windows, was fun!

driver100 said:

How about a job related scam? Salary was the biggest tipoff.

Hello A*** *!
    Home based job for U.S. Citizen only!

I am an HR representative and I have found your profile through employment agency

No special knowledge is required to work on this position. You just need to be a attentive, diligent and responsible person.

Monthly pay will be in the range of 4000 to 5000 USD.

If you are interested in this vacancy, please let me know about that in your response, I will send you the detailed information.

One of my first jobs in accounting was with a company that had subsideraries around the globe. Since we were consistanty working with foreign currencies we would required to use "USD" as opposed to "$" to distiguse it from CND or AUD or NZD or any other country that calls their script "dollar". That requirement was company wide for standardization, so a job offer from HR would be #####USD.

fintail said:

Some places I wouldn't move to just because of the housing situation (also a hilariously bad time to move to Seattle unless one has no kids or has considerable funds).

I get random recruiter contacts now and then, most of who I think don't actually read my info, as for one I am not aware of any of my online profiles saying I am looking for a new position, and some of the positions suggested for me are barely related to my CV, if at all.

tjc78 said:

@fintail said:

I get the occasional call from recuriters, usually ones I have worked with before. I wonder why they contact me as I haven't been in contact with them or needed their services for almost 20 years. I also get the occasional email stating they found my resume online which if they did it would be almost 20 years old. I know for a fact that my last two employers were not on any resume I have ever posted online.

stickguy said:

hard to get an accurate measurement with the wind but we got about 8" at least. Just finished getting the whole driveway done and my old bones are tired. At least the wife helped this time. usually I would have done a few passes (every 3-4") but since it snowed heavy from about midnight to dawn, that was not happening. Mostly stopped, just some flurries which can melt off.

only problem is the plows have not come through. so at some point I will be back out to clean out the ice dam at the bottom. Always fun.

my daughter is in Boston and they are getting pounded. Not that she cars, since she lives on the 9th floor of a tower and doesn't have a car. She did say playing basketball in the indoor gym, watching the snow through the windows, was fun!

I have the habit of clearing part of the street directly infront of my driveway if the plows haven't been by yet in an effort to minimize the dams they build up when they go by. It tends to help.

I did that too. mailbox is downwind so I cleaned that out then a foot or 2 in front of the driveway. Hopefully it helps. I figured I would be shoveling all that eventually.

Thanks for that. The comparison confirmed what I thought about the differences. I’m still looking to acquire an old style Ranger because of the bed size but if I can’t get the one I’m waiting on I could see myself getting a stripper Maverick for general hauling duty. I saw a bare bones XL listed at a local dealer for $21k which is cheap for anything with wheels these days.

Thanks for that. The comparison confirmed what I thought about the differences. I’m still looking to acquire an old style Ranger because of the bed size but if I can’t get the one I’m waiting on I could see myself getting a stripper Maverick for general hauling duty. I saw a bare bones XL listed at a local dealer for $21k which is cheap for anything with wheels these days.
    Well if you don't mind 2 wheels and no a lot of hauling capability you can get on a set of new wheels for 1/10th of that price. ;)

OK bored today at work as half my appointments have failed to show up. Anyway I decided to take a look at our local website that run by the dealerships around her abd looked at the Mavericks listed. The cheapest is just over $25K and the most expensive at $37.7K with several listed as "call for price". Most of what was listed wasn't the bare bones model, all but one that I looked at were the AWD 8 speed auto with the 2.0 liter engine.

OK bored today at work as half my appointments have failed to show up. Anyway I decided to take a look at our local website that run by the dealerships around her abd looked at the Mavericks listed. The cheapest is just over $25K and the most expensive at $37.7K with several listed as "call for price". Most of what was listed wasn't the bare bones model, all but one that I looked at were the AWD 8 speed auto with the 2.0 liter engine.
    Yeah, the $21k one I saw listed may only exist on some UCM’s order list or may be pre sold but the only option was a $100 trailer hitch.

This isn’t the one I saw but it’s the same package:

https://www.windowsticker.forddirect.com/windowsticker.pdf?token=PZw/C3yTNCmRA9UlLZi+V91fKijVih+/8JTNCPfh15K1eD0IzyW+2wdWYe2f08gdVQfaTp+GnL/WpTIWvKoVJd02MelY8/LoFo6jPFNbmva0ok+Nco17XYQzo/5GkPNiqT8wXbwGAZd8zLmMlVdDtYmOI257x/8rG/D/uxeJ4H8=