Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,299
    I saw on B-J they sold a 2021 Wrangler 392 for 137k.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,901

@explorerx4 said:

Say what?

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,507

was it a charity sale? Those don't really count.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

that Integra might be the nicest in the country but I didn't think they were that collectible yet. Crazy. Looks like new but at 350 or so miles per year, it better.

• andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,729
    edited January 2022
    I'd rather get the ones on Cars & Bid for about 3,200 dollars discount per reduced horse.

30 horses less for $96K less? Is my math right assuming the Integra goes for 15K.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
  • ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,078
    There’s a lot of money flying around burning a hole in some people’s pockets.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,931
    stickguy said:

was it a charity sale? Those don't really count.

I thought the same thing, but the listing doesn't mention charity.
    https://www.barrett-jackson.com/Events/Event/Details/2021-JEEP-WRANGLER-RUBICON-392-252911

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

Jeep was not a charity auction item. I didn't add the buyer's premium.
    I saw a piece about Ford getting more chips from Global, so up in Malta. And TI is opening some capacity in Texas specifically to supply auto makers and other industry with chips (so I guess the ones that are easier to make (not the super high tech ones for fancy computers and such).

@fintail,
    That's part of the new marketing strategy because it's not special unless you have to wait a couple of years for it. :D
    that's even worse than a hybrid Maverick!

• oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,644
    fintail said:
    That G wagon must sell on pure snob appeal because it’s the only vehicle out there that’s uglier than my Kia.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    kyfdx said:

Ours is next week.
    The current list on the website isn't promising.

https://cincinnatiautoexpo.com/visitors/auto-expo-vehicles/

Well…that’s just a smattering of manufacturers showing up. On top of that, FIAT is displaying, and they’re barely making a whisper in the market around here.

I’ll go anyway.
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
  • cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,504
    That asymmetric Nissan cube takes the ugly cake as far as I'm concerned, worst since the Aztek.

That hamster-mobile Kia is certainly popular, at least around here. I see many of them every day when I'm out and about.
    '08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester
  • graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665

fintail said:
    That G wagon must sell on pure snob appeal because it’s the only vehicle out there that’s uglier than my Kia.
    Never understood the appeal of those. Forget the price. THey’re ugly. They cost way too much. And, they’re a PITA to maintain. What’s the allure?
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
  • jmonroe1jmonroe1 Member Posts: 7,539

fintail said:
    Never understood the appeal of those. Forget the price. THey’re ugly. They cost way too much. And, they’re a PITA to maintain. What’s the allure?
    @oldfarmer50 just told us.

jmonroe
    '15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
  • ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,078
    Given current-day prices and wait times, this seems like a steal. And you would always be able to find it in a parking lot.

https://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/cars-for-sale/reo/speedwagon/2554992.html

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,417
    edited January 2022

Some pics my son took from my snowy, Saturday commute for your viewing pleasure:

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

kept the traffic down at least!

• fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,136
    It's all about being brash and showing off, especially with the pointless AMG version which in this market I suspect outsells the base at least 3:1 (my build would be a base). My Belle Epoque line wasn't just in jest, we really are in one, look back at the extravagance of that era and look at what the overmonied are doing today. Maybe it won't end the same way.

IMO the awkward and twice as expensive Cullinan is a real "woof" kind of vehicle (while the Bentayga is just a bland invisible form).

fintail said:
    I'm riding the storm out.
  • fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,136
    I don't mind your Kia. Those are "cheap and cheerful" to me, not pretentious, affordable and practical.

Regarding the ordering debacle, sounds like a way to breed a little more exclusivity, not that I am into conspiracy theories.

fintail said:

@nyccarguy said:
    Some pics my son took from my snowy, Saturday commute for your viewing pleasure:

Cool. A manufacturer who knows their product and that someone will have to be pushing the vehicle at some point, so they gave it a setting for it.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• breldbreld Member Posts: 6,709
    edited January 2022
    As others have pointed out, it does feel like the M2 market is normalizing a bit.

The 2017 is a tad steep in miles, but getting into the $40k’s is a good start.

And the Comp is downright tempting.

2017 M2

M2 Comp

2024 Audi Q8 e-tron - 2024 Corvette - 2024 BMW X5 - 2023 Tesla Model Y

• jmonroe1jmonroe1 Member Posts: 7,539

@nyccarguy said:

You can’t fix it by looking at it. Shoulda been lookin first.

jmonroe

'15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
  • MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 240,978
    breld said:

Still a little high and a bit steep on miles, but does feel like the M2 market is normalizing a bit…

2017 M2

You could get one of the Wichita YouTube mafia to check it out for you....

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• 28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,385

Isn’t that comp the one with the dirty Carfax?

2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible, 2015 Audi Q5 TDI

Isn’t that comp the one with the dirty Carfax?

Oh right - forgot that had already been a topic of discussion.

If I wasn’t so set on a manual, this would actually be tempting.

2016 M235i vert

the Wichita one has a clean carfax. Just happens to be the same white over black that they all seem to be. Talk about a boring design for a cool car.

breld said:

If I wasn’t so set on a manual, this would actually be tempting.

2016 M235i vert

I could live with that. I like the red interior. Though would prefer it to be an S drive. No need for AWD on a nice weather only car.

• mjfloyd1mjfloyd1 Member Posts: 3,270

@explorerx4 said:

Nah, you should roll with the changes or take it on the run :)

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,702
    Something surprising about the 2022 2-series.

230i is only available as RWD
    240i is only available as AWD

And, only coupe, no convertible.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

Met up with @breld this afternoon for some lot browsing.

I wanted to take a closer look at this.

After a bit of a wait, I was able to obtain the keys and take it for a test drive.

Man, oh man, does this thing move. Had it up to 80 on a 4-lane arterial road, and the power just doesn't seem to stop (yes, I know I'm overly excited by this, but I don't think I've driven something with that much HP in my life).

However, we did notice a couple of nits to pick with it - mainly, the lack of any sort of blind spot monitoring or active cruise control. @breld tells me that BMW equips their vehicles oddly - this one had a heads up display and real leather interior.

We talked during the test drive, and I may want to test drive a regular (30i) X3. Not that I wouldn't mind the extra 100+ HP, but the "base" engine should still feel pretty sporty compared to the Outback.

Then, we discovered that one of the dealers that @breld used to frequent had moved into my neck of the woods, so we stopped by for a quick look. Found this parked on the forecourt, which had Mr. @breld quite excited.

I'll let him pick up the story from this point.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

That’s almost MSRP on that Veloster N.

no AWD 230? Surprising. But works for me!

Michaell said:

Met up with @breld this afternoon for some lot browsing.

I wanted to take a closer look at this.

After a bit of a wait, I was able to obtain the keys and take it for a test drive.

Man, oh man, does this thing move. Had it up to 80 on a 4-lane arterial road, and the power just doesn't seem to stop (yes, I know I'm overly excited by this, but I don't think I've driven something with that much HP in my life).

However, we did notice a couple of nits to pick with it - mainly, the lack of any sort of blind spot monitoring or active cruise control. @breld tells me that BMW equips their vehicles oddly - this one had a heads up display and real leather interior.

We talked during the test drive, and I may want to test drive a regular (30i) X3. Not that I wouldn't mind the extra 100+ HP, but the "base" engine should still feel pretty sporty compared to the Outback.

Then, we discovered that one of the dealers that @breld used to frequent had moved into my neck of the woods, so we stopped by for a quick look. Found this parked on the forecourt, which had Mr. @breld quite excited.

I'll let him pick up the story from this point.

that X3 is lovely. But really needs some blind spot and cross path help since the rear visibility stinks.

My son test drove one before he got his Audi. He actually thought it had too much power and was almost scary. I'm guessing it was the dynamics of a "truck" giving the feeling, because at the time he had a G70 3.3t, and ended up with an S4, so he was used to having an excessive amount of HP! We test drove a X3 30i before getting the RDX and found it more than quick enough, and nicely balanced.

lots of miles on that Hyundai. They don't really do anything for me either. And at this point, I would feel silly driving a kids car! At least the Si now can pass for a mature vehicle, even though you can still drive like a hooligan.

that is also $2,000 over original sticker. If it were me, I would get a new Si for the same price. But as always, everybody should spend their money on what they want!

stickguy said:

lots of miles on that Hyundai. They don't really do anything for me either. And at this point, I would feel silly driving a kids car! At least the Si now can pass for a mature vehicle, even though you can still drive like a hooligan.

that is also $2,000 over original sticker. If it were me, I would get a new Si for the same price. But as always, everybody should spend their money on what they want!

Not really a comparison. The Veloster N is more comparable to a Civic R than the Si.

• henrynhenryn Member Posts: 4,289

Storm? What storm?

Yeah, yeah, I know, the next time we get a hurricane you can laugh at me.
    2023 Chevrolet Silverado, 2019 Chrysler Pacifica
    edited January 2022
    @henryn,
    mjfloyd1 started the vehicle/band/song link. :p
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6_Sm4b5HX8
    edited January 2022
    I get it. Nice car, then and now.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Seems too cheap…

• mjfloyd1mjfloyd1 Member Posts: 3,270

The heart wants what the heart wants

While waiting for help at CarMax, we had a chance to cruise the lost. Two almost identical Macan base models, one for $42K, the other for $48K.

And, a couple of full-size Bronco 4-doors. First Edition trim. One was priced at $91K, the other at $93K.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator