Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• henrynhenryn Member Posts: 4,289
    Michaell said:

While waiting for help at CarMax, we had a chance to cruise the lost. Two almost identical Macan base models, one for $42K, the other for $48K.

And, a couple of full-size Bronco 4-doors. First Edition trim. One was priced at $91K, the other at $93K.

Remind me not to go anywhere near a CarMax. I don't think my heart could stand that kind of shock.
    2023 Chevrolet Silverado, 2019 Chrysler Pacifica
  • MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 240,156
    henryn said:

Michaell said:

While waiting for help at CarMax, we had a chance to cruise the lost. Two almost identical Macan base models, one for $42K, the other for $48K.

And, a couple of full-size Bronco 4-doors. First Edition trim. One was priced at $91K, the other at $93K.

Remind me not to go anywhere near a CarMax. I don't think my heart could stand that kind of shock.
    There were a handful of vehicles that we thought were reasonably priced. Certainly the exception, but with the current market conditions, you take what you can get.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,441
    legend looks nice. good price if it works well.

too bad it isn't one of the rare 6 speed sticks. My neighbor had one back in the day.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• 28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,335

@stickguy said:
    legend looks nice. good price if it works well.

too bad it isn't one of the rare 6 speed sticks. My neighbor had one back in the day.

Someone I knew growing up had one of those for their first car. They beat the living you know what out of it. So sad.

2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible
    I am very glad that I don't actually need a car any time soon. Even if I flip the Maverick for a different one, it will only be if I come out ahead. Being in the open market needing something quick sounds scary! But, there are some things out there for MSRP. Not the worst thing in the world paying that for something reasonably priced like a Civic.

edited January 2022

I’m seeing that Legend tomorrow. Assuming it’s in as good a shape as it seems, tell me why it’s a terrible idea…

I’d need to sell it for $2500 or more when I’m ready for it make sense in terms of my monthly outlay, which seems doable.

• nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,373

@Michaell - always good to have someone who knows BMWs inside and out like @breld when you are shopping. It’s very easy to get caught up in how well they drive and overlook what is missing. Those X3 M40is sure are nice. The problem you’ll have with driving the “regular” 3.0i model is that while it will be “nice,” you are going to jab the throttle at some point and realize the power isn’t there. What’s the price difference in this crazy used market between the 4cyl & 6cyl X3?

@breld - I know that Veloster N isn’t a normal Hyundai. It’s gets high praise from the enthusiast community. However, in “regular” times used Hyundais depreciate heavily.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• breldbreld Member Posts: 6,698
    @nyccarguy - you’re spot on with that Veloster N. It didn’t have the performance pack, so it originally stickered for around $28k. As you point out, in “normal” times, that 3 year, 30k mile old Veloster would be, what, low $20k’s? And it would be a great buy. But $2k higher than original sticker? No way.

Regardless of price, I was very impressed with the Veloster N, not having driven one before. @michaell and I took note of how well put together it felt even with the age and mileage. You may expect a Honda to not show its age, but I expected this “hot-rod” Hyundai to not have worn as well. But no rattles, it felt tight, and shifted smoothly.

I didn’t feel its performance was quite up there with the Civic Type R, but I thought it compared very well to a GTI, with a bit more edge. I remarked to @michaell that it seemed to absorb bumps very well and had a very compliant ride, particularly accounting for the type of car it is.

I would consider one for sure…at a more “normal” used price.

2024 Audi Q8 e-tron - 2024 Corvette - 2024 BMW X5 - 2023 Tesla Model Y

I’m seeing that Legend tomorrow. Assuming it’s in as good a shape as it seems, tell me why it’s a terrible idea…

I’d need to sell it for $2500 or more when I’m ready for it make sense in terms of my monthly outlay, which seems doable.

it is a great idea. Won't lose on that one.

• corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,238
    I think @kyfdx had a similar Legend in his family. It looks great. At that price, I don't think you can go wrong. If memory serves, storage space is an issue, but otherwise, it would be nice to keep around semi-permanently in case you get caught in between leases, etc...

My BIL is trying to convince me, as you all did, to throw all seasons on the ZHP and call it good. Save myself the hassle of a car I don’t know.

• qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,891

@28firefighter said:
    My BIL is trying to convince me, as you all did, to throw all seasons on the ZHP and call it good. Save myself the hassle of a car I don’t know.

Do you need to drive in snow and ice? If so, all seasons are not good enough.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

edited January 2022

@qbrozen said:

@28firefighter said:

Do you need to drive in snow and ice? If so, all seasons are not good enough.

It’s mostly rain and cooler temps I’m concerned with. If it snows we aren’t going anywhere.

I’d be banking on @tifighter’s belief we’re done with our bad snow for the season…

• MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 240,156
    nyccarguy said:

@Michaell - always good to have someone who knows BMWs inside and out like @breld when you are shopping. It’s very easy to get caught up in how well they drive and overlook what is missing. Those X3 M40is sure are nice. The problem you’ll have with driving the “regular” 3.0i model is that while it will be “nice,” you are going to jab the throttle at some point and realize the power isn’t there. What’s the price difference in this crazy used market between the 4cyl & 6cyl X3?

At a guess, I'd say $10K or so delta between the 30i and 40i.

@breld and I discussed this on the test drive - the 4-cyl turbos in the "base" X3, Q5 or GLC have about the same HP as the Outback with the 3.6. But, the turbo engines are tuned to get more grunt at a lower RPM, and you feel it more at altitude. I liked the CX-7 we had before the Subaru, but that was old turbo technology, meaning it was "1-Mississippi, 2-Miss..." before the engine spooled up and kicked in. My Jetta, even with the 1.4T with 150HP, had better responsiveness at lower RPMs.

Would I miss the extra HP? Maybe. But, would one of those 2.0T engines feel more sporty than the Outback? Especially with the Euro-tuned suspensions? I'd have to say yes.

But, gives me a reason to do some more test drives.

When I'm finally in the market, perhaps an off-lease GV70, QX50 (or 55) or RDX might work as well.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• jmonroe1jmonroe1 Member Posts: 7,466

@Michaell said:
    There were a handful of vehicles that we thought were reasonably priced. Certainly the exception, but with the current market conditions, you take what you can get.

I hope that doesn’t mean folks should consider the best running 3 or 5 cylinder car.

jmonroe

'15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
  • corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,238
    Hoovie bought a salvage title E36 M3 on the latest episode of Car Issues... woof!
  • xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,762
    @qbrozen What was the name of that outfit to which you sold the Mach-e?
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,221

I vote for this (naturally)

We had a '92 Legend sedan in the family from new until 2013. Sold it to a local guy, and a year later, I see it at my mechanic. His 17 year old had driven it over a curb, and ripped out enough stuff to total it. :(

It only had 39K miles on it, when we sold it ($5K).

The most you could be out on the Legend would be repairs, assuming it's structurally sound. They are great cars.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,891

@xwesx said:
    @qbrozen What was the name of that outfit to which you sold the Mach-e?

AutoLenders. Same as the Jeep.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,564
    edited January 2022
    Mentions slight bend in right fender but no pictures of right fender.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

28years old, when does it become an antique, 30 years? Could be an investment and have a little fun in the meantime. Automatic though.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

Who has to drive it, him or you?

edited January 2022

Woke up not feeling well, so I’m putting my car hunt on pause for now.

I’m torn what to do but bargain shopping on CL is fun.

Btw - that cheap 4Runner was a scam. The guy was asking for deposits to hold and then never showing up.

• mjfloyd1mjfloyd1 Member Posts: 3,225

Hope you get feeling better @28firefighter

not surprised on the 4 runner. I also would never give a deposit to a stranger. Or at least not more than a token one (I guess I left like $50 or $100 in the past after making a deal in person).

Farmer, there is a picture of the RR fender on the outback.

The Subaru, entirely possible it will be a maintenance pig. I would take the Legend for $2,500 less money unless it had obvious issues when seeing it in person.

edited January 2022

@mjfloyd1 said:
    Hope you get feeling better @28firefighter

Just preschool funk from the little one, I’m sure.

Little germ balls….

@stickguy said:
    not surprised on the 4 runner. I also would never give a deposit to a stranger. Or at least not more than a token one (I guess I left like $50 or $100 in the past after making a deal in person).

Farmer, there is a picture of the RR fender on the outback.

The Subaru, entirely possible it will be a maintenance pig. I would take the Legend for $2,500 less money unless it had obvious issues when seeing it in person.

Any car at this price point could be a maintenance pig. If I had to stereotype Subaru owners, they tend to be folks who take care of their cars around here. The number of ads I see where it clearly mentions things like timing belts, headgaskets being repaired etc is staggering.

on the Subes I assume it is because they are such chronic, and expensive, failures that nobody will come look at your car if you can't prove they were done recently!

At least a NA motor won't be as bad as a turbo of that era, but I have watched a few youtubers deal with them and say they are constantly needing something.

but, an outback will have a lot more utility (and winter beater) value over an old Legand, though the Acura is probably a whole lot quicker and nicer to drive!

True though that any car in this age/mileage range could make a grab for your wallet at any time.

Vin #1 2023 Z06 Vette just sold at B-J for 3.7mill. I dropped out at 3.5, so close.

not sure if that was a charity sale, or just somebody that really, really had to have it for his collection.

sad though, that so many people want them, and this one will never be driven.

@stickguy said:
    on the Subes I assume it is because they are such chronic, and expensive, failures that nobody will come look at your car if you can't prove they were done recently!

At least a NA motor won't be as bad as a turbo of that era, but I have watched a few youtubers deal with them and say they are constantly needing something.

but, an outback will have a lot more utility (and winter beater) value over an old Legand, though the Acura is probably a whole lot quicker and nicer to drive!

True though that any car in this age/mileage range could make a grab for your wallet at any time.

I’m keeping an eye out for an H6 Outback because they seem to have a great reputation for reliability if the headgasket has been done.

“ Farmer, there is a picture of the RR fender on the outback. ”

Is that where the dent was? I don’t see one but I assumed it was on the front fender.

I’m sure you’ll all find this amusing…

As @michaell mentioned yesterday, both used lots we went to yesterday had lightly used Broncos available. Carmax had a First Edition priced around $90k, and a Badlands for $70k. The second dealer we went to also had a Badlands for just over $72k.

I mentioned those to my wife when I got home and out of curiosity, we looked at Fords website for the price range. I knew full well that those used prices carried a premium, but I just assumed Broncos were at least $50k on the low end.

Surprised at the low MSRP of the lower end models, my wife sent me to the Ford dealer to check them out. They did indeed have a demo at the lower trim level which I drove and enjoyed.

Now, we’ll likely never use the Bronco to anywhere close to its potential, but I doubt we’re alone in that arena. Fact is, it’s way cooler than the Santa Cruz and my wife just loves the look and character of it. Pouring through the myriad of trims and options, we’ve decided to order a 2 door Black Diamond trim, in Cactus Gray with no additional options (even keeping the manual trannie). And for anyone who frequents Sarah -n- Tuned’s videos, this is exactly the trim she recently purchased. And no, my wife had no idea who Sarah was when she came up with the configuration.

MSRP of $37,945, dealer has no markup, but it will take several months, up to a year, to get the vehicle.

This was sitting in the dealer’s showroom…$38k MSRP, plus about $25k of dealer added equipment and accessories, mostly to do with off roading.

I thought your wife wanted the inflatable raft thingy outside the passenger compartment due to funky smells from forgetting about it being inside a vehicle for a bit??

• tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,856

The more I look at the Bronco or something like a 4XE I really think the family would enjoy it especially without the top down/off at the shore.

Problem for me is I’d be really missing a sedan and while I wouldn’t mind three cars it is just not needed in our household. Heck even two is a stretch.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,856

@breld
    What’s the plan. Enjoy the Santa Cruz for a while until the Bronco comes in?

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

I was right with this one until the bad catalytic converter. That seems strange. And here in Seattle, I’d just as soon believe it was stolen…

https://seattle.craigslist.org/see/cto/d/seattle-2003-vw-golf-gls-low-miles-one/7439611482.html

I mean this absolutely seriously, @breld - have you looked into setting up a holding LLC as a registered dealer?

mjfloyd1 said:

I thought your wife wanted the inflatable raft thingy outside the passenger compartment due to funky smells from forgetting about it being inside a vehicle for a bit??

Oh, you remember that line of reasoning, huh?

• tifightertifighter Member Posts: 3,592

I’ve always had a soft spot for these. The SWB is a foot shorter than our Model Y.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1993-land-rover-range-rover-50/

23 Civic Type-R / 22 MDX Type-S / 21 Tesla Y LR / 03 Montero Ltd

• dad23dad23 Member Posts: 866

Hmm, I think there’s been a mistake, wish I had two to sell to them…

• explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,256
    @dad23,
    HAL9000 has a bug.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • dad23dad23 Member Posts: 866

@dad23,
    HAL9000 has a bug.

I believe you are correct, or they somehow thought it with the Tacoma...
    only way to find out is to click submit and send them the paperwork!

#
    breld said:

This was sitting in the dealer’s showroom…$38k MSRP, plus about $25k of dealer added equipment and accessories, mostly to do with off roading.

I saw one in a dealer showroom a few months ago with a $50k sticker.

Breld, you are a machine. So the bed requirement was just a lame excuse afterall?

I did just watch Sarah's video yesterday with putting on bigger tires and wider flares. It is a sharp looking buggy, but the ones I sat in seemed very bulky up front. My wife hated it overall too, but hey, not her car!

Seems pointless if you aren't going off roading.

hard to say when a Bronco is coming in. Though the base model likely has a better chance. Some of the loaded up versions are still hard to get built. Ford really picked a bad time to have production constraints. They could be selling a boatload more Broncos and Mavericks!

I was right with this one until the bad catalytic converter. That seems strange. And here in Seattle, I’d just as soon believe it was stolen…

https://seattle.craigslist.org/see/cto/d/seattle-2003-vw-golf-gls-low-miles-one/7439611482.html

You could always try the lacquer thinner trick on the cat.

I like that Golf. But took me a while to realize it was not a GTI. But from that vintage, does not bother me. Seems a little steep though with an unrepaired engine issue. Nice story, but I would like to see some good documentation on that. Does look clean.

not quite sure how this is original owner but the picture of the title shows it was issued in 2008 with 24,000 miles on it!

also $1,200 for a cat seems steep. Rockauto has 3 for less than $200 and a bunch more around $375. Should not cost all that much to throw it in. Assuming it really just needs that.