Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• breldbreld Member Posts: 6,710
    stickguy said:

Breld, you are a machine. So the bed requirement was just a lame excuse afterall?

To be honest, the bed of the Santa Cruz does make more sense. But clearly more of a justification than anything else, as it was easy to pivot away from that to the Bronco.

We’ve never had a hard time spinning things to fit what the heart desires. (And let’s be honest, cars are more of an emotional thing than anything for this group)

2024 Audi Q8 e-tron - 2024 Corvette - 2024 BMW X5 - 2023 Tesla Model Y

And, it’s gonna be a while before we would actually take delivery of the Bronco.

A lot can happen between now and then.

• dad23dad23 Member Posts: 870
    stickguy said:

only way to find out is to click submit and send them the paperwork!

Yep, hit submit and all the info for the Tacoma came up, so wasn't really surprised.
  • cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,504
    stickguy said:

Seems pointless if you aren't going off roading.!

Ya think?
    '08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester
  • ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,081
    You know things are priced at insane levels… or maybe not considering how few likely remain.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1978-plymouth-volare-3/

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,304
    @ab348,
    HA HA even has a branded title.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,646
    ab348 said:

You know things are priced at insane levels… or maybe not considering how few likely remain.

Almost any modern 4cyl would outpower that emissions choked 318.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,262
    Pretty sure my Prius would beat that Golf 2.0 in a drag race. Also, those engines had a timing belt that required regular service. I think the common wisdom at the time was that the tensioner and water pump should also be done at the same time.
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,933
    edited January 2022

And, it’s gonna be a while before we would actually take delivery of the Bronco.

I know this is crazy talk ... but she needs to try out other vehicles first. Namely, a Wrangler. Many reviews still put it ahead of the Bronco.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

qbrozen said:

I know this is crazy talk ... but she needs to try out other vehicles first. Namely, a Wrangler. Many reviews still put it ahead of the Bronco.

Absolutely - we’ll have time to change our minds several times.

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,511
    you mean buy and sell a Santa Cruz and a Wrangler before the Bronco even arrives. Plus a few others most likely.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

ab348 said:

I was expecting a much higher price. This doesn't seem out of line. For a non-rusty one? They have a little bit of a cult following and there certainly can't be many more like this around. Plenty of nostalgia too. Not sure what you will do with it. Could pretty it up and put in a collection, or just keep it as a weekend cruiser to the ice cream parlor.

if you wanted to get frisky, could make an interesting resto mod of some sort. Still a lot of fans of RWD mid-sized wagons. Real easy to double the HP (or more) and upgrade suspension/brakes/steering while keeping the interior and exterior mostly stock.

qbrozen said:

I’ve driven both and the Bronco feels much bigger inside. Better ride IMO too.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,348

I was right with this one until the bad catalytic converter. That seems strange. And here in Seattle, I’d just as soon believe it was stolen…

https://seattle.craigslist.org/see/cto/d/seattle-2003-vw-golf-gls-low-miles-one/7439611482.html

You could always try the lacquer thinner trick on the cat.
    Or Cataclean- which worked on my X3.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

edited January 2022
    The only tthing that would replace the Wrangler is another Wrangler- or perhaps a D90. I found a 2020 Unlimited Sahara at a local dealer equipped exactly as I would have optioned it. Thing is, the miles are a bit high and so is the price- although the price has been cut by $2k.
    The plan would be to sell the X1 and the TJ- but I hate to get rid of either one. The Wrangler is a hoot and the X1 is fun to drive even though it's slow.
    My wife still floats the idea of flipping the X1 and 2er for a X3 M40i, but it's no faster than the 2er and doesn't handle as well. I'd take an X3 M Comp, but that's too pricey. That said, I haven't owned a true M car for 27 years, so I'm way overdue. ///M or nothing, methinks.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

I've been driving the Prius the past couple of days, and it's really a cheerful and cheap car to drive around town. The ride quality has the choppiness of a small car, and the handling is as wallowy as any other early-2000s Toyota, but for running errands, it doesn't matter. This tank is averaging in the low 30-MPG range due to making a lot of short trips (1-2 miles) and the engine not being able to warm up, and starting the car to allow it to preheat on very cold days.
  • jmonroe1jmonroe1 Member Posts: 7,541
    qbrozen said:

Humorous side note. Not sure I mentioned it, but one of the TPMS sensors broke when I changed the tires on the Escape, so the light has been on for a few weeks. When I changed the alternator and plugs a couple of weeks back, I put in a new sensor in that wheel. I then discovered it requires a special tool to "wake up" the sensor. A weird series of brake presses and key cycles to get it into learn mode, then you go around with this electronic tool to get each sensor to signal to the computer.

I bought a tool from Amazon for $15, and when I tried to use it, the old sensor in the front-left wheel would react, but the new sensor in the front-right would not. Sigh. No real consensus online as to whether the problem is a non-OEM sensor not working with the car or the cheap tool unable to talk to the non-OEM sensor. I know I ordered the right frequency sensor, so I took a chance on getting a slightly more expensive tool ($25) that will talk to more sensors. Got a chance to try it today. Man, this was silly. First sensor would not respond to new tool, so I tried old tool to which it previously responded and got it to work. Go to next wheel and try the new tool. Nothing. UGH. Well, nothing to lose, so I tried flipping the switch from Ford to GM ... it worked. Go to 3rd wheel and try old tool - nope. New tool set to GM - nope. New tool set to Ford - yup. Go to 4th wheel and that responded to the old tool. Go back in car and it tells me the setup is complete and the light is out. For now.

Not perfectly understandable. :s

jmonroe
    '15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
    need one of those high end autel scan tools? Seem to work wonders on Youtube channels!

I know that the ones I have seen them use for TPMS seem to work easily, but definitely look like they call a whole lot more than $15-$25

I installed new tire and wheel sets on my Mazdaspeed as well as my wife's E90 328i. The Mazda sensors connected automatically. On the 3er I just had to reset them using the same procedure used when the tire pressure is adjusted.

• xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,788
    edited January 2022
    qbrozen said:

Humorous side note. Not sure I mentioned it, but one of the TPMS sensors broke when I changed the tires on the Escape, so the light has been on for a few weeks. When I changed the alternator and plugs a couple of weeks back, I put in a new sensor in that wheel. I then discovered it requires a special tool to "wake up" the sensor. A weird series of brake presses and key cycles to get it into learn mode, then you go around with this electronic tool to get each sensor to signal to the computer.

I made the mistake of putting sensors in the wheels I bought this summer for both the Forester and the Crosstrek. I found out that those require some Mickey Mouse process like that as well. So, I said screw it; I never minded a dash light or two. :D

2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
    edited January 2022
    qbrozen said:

I bought a tool from Amazon for $15, and when I tried to use it, the old sensor in the front-left wheel would react, but the new sensor in the front-right would not. Sigh. No real consensus online as to whether the problem is a non-OEM sensor not working with the car or the cheap tool unable to talk to the non-OEM sensor. I know I ordered the right frequency sensor, so I took a chance on getting a slightly more expensive tool ($25) that will talk to more sensors. Got a chance to try it today. Man, this was silly. First sensor would not respond to new tool, so I tried old tool to which it previously responded and got it to work. Go to next wheel and try the new tool. Nothing. UGH. Well, nothing to lose, so I tried flipping the switch from Ford to GM ... it worked. Go to 3rd wheel and try old tool - nope. New tool set to GM - nope. New tool set to Ford - yup. Go to 4th wheel and that responded to the old tool. Go back in car and it tells me the setup is complete and the light is out. For now.

Sounds like the previous owner went shopping at the junk yard and just grabbed whatever fit.

• au1994au1994 Member Posts: 3,380
    qbrozen said:

Maybe I started drinking too early, but that all made sense :smile:

2021 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4xe Granite Crystal over Saddle
    2024 Audi Q5 Premium Plus Daytona Gray over Beige
    2017 BMW X1 Jet Black over Mocha

• explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,304
    edited January 2022
    Video of Stickguy taking delivery of his Maverick. :D
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XUfEy4FfVmM
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
    Well, the dealership in North Philly wasn’t quite like that. But now I will be calling myself Johnny Mav for short.

• graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    Not irrational at all. It’s a legendary Acura Legend. (See what I did there? Groan!)
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
    I always thought the latter-year versions of these were something that could have been built even longer, much like Land Rover. I discovered this operation that deals in Cherokees exclusively. Business looks very good as they seem to have little inventory.

https://davisautosports.com/cheorkee-xj-for-sale

• dad23dad23 Member Posts: 870
    edited January 2022
    Wasn't there another company doing something similar with the old Grand Wagoneers? I've seen a few go through the auctions on TV pulling some serious do-ray-me. I found one: https://vigilante4x4.com/
  • au1994au1994 Member Posts: 3,380
    The XJ does have its own cult following. They can take a phenomenal amount of abuse on the trail and the aftermarket is quite healthy in typical Jeep fashion.

https://wagonmaster.com/

This group has been around for a while. If it grew on tree’s I’d be there in a second.

In other news, my BiL ordered a Grand Cherokee 4xe. I think it came in at $61k. No word on when he might see it.

2021 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4xe Granite Crystal over Saddle
    2024 Audi Q5 Premium Plus Daytona Gray over Beige
    2017 BMW X1 Jet Black over Mocha

edited January 2022
    My TRX "has landed." Not sure when it will be ready to pick up. Maybe EOW.

Here is my quandry: I'm still not sure how I will handle the money. On one hand, I was thinking of paying cash, but that involves a much bigger tax hit than leasing. I'm not sure, however, what the acq fee is for my region for Ram right now, and that may even change this week with the new numbers. Cash would help with a quicker turnaround, as well, and squash any issues with 3rd-party lease buyout. BUT, then it leaves me without enough cash on hand to pull off a one-pay lease on the Wrangler if it should happen to arrive before I sell the Ram. If I lease the Ram, it is a big credit weight and could take as long as 2 mos before everything is settled and I can sell. It would leave me the ability to one-pay the Wrangler, but it is possible I wouldn't even get approved with such a large Ram lease on file. What about a relatively large cap reduction?

Opinions?

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• 28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,385
    I'll save the suspense - given what I've seen on LH and some of the wrangler forums, I'd expect if you lease the TRX you will not get approved on the 4xE.

Seems like the tax hit would be pretty significant on the TRX, possibly eating up all your profit, right?
    2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible, 2015 Audi Q5 TDI
    edited January 2022

I'll save the suspense - given what I've seen on LH and some of the wrangler forums, I'd expect if you lease the TRX you will not get approved on the 4xE.

Seems like the tax hit would be pretty significant on the TRX, possibly eating up all your profit, right?

Ha. No, not even close. I'm expecting around $15k net. Extra tax would be $3k vs whatever the acq fee is.

If they approve me by myself on the TRX, the 4xe could go under the wife's name. Or, worst case scenario, I have to pass on the Chapman 4xe and await the one I have on order in DC, which is still in the "gathering parts" stage, and it is the one I'd want to keep anyway.

I may not have a choice anymore as I just saw the Amex bill from Xmas. Lol.

I could do a one-pay on the Ram, but, if I'm not mistaken, that means I need to expect a refund check from CCAP on the unused interest after the lease is bought out. Is that correct? Or do they deduct that amount from the buyout??

qbrozen said:

Ha. No, not even close. I'm expecting around $15k net. Extra tax would be $3k vs whatever the acq fee is.

If they approve me by myself on the TRX, the 4xe could go under the wife's name. Or, worst case scenario, I have to pass on the Chapman 4xe and await the one I have on order in DC, which is still in the "gathering parts" stage, and it is the one I'd want to keep anyway.

I may not have a choice anymore as I just saw the Amex bill from Xmas. Lol.

I could do a one-pay on the Ram, but, if I'm not mistaken, that means I need to expect a refund check from CCAP on the unused interest after the lease is bought out. Is that correct? Or do they deduct that amount from the buyout??
    I'm not sure on the one pay since I haven't done it - I'd think they just deduct it from the buy out.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,760
    qbrozen said:

My TRX "has landed." Not sure when it will be ready to pick up. Maybe EOW.

Here is my quandry: I'm still not sure how I will handle the money. On one hand, I was thinking of paying cash, but that involves a much bigger tax hit than leasing. I'm not sure, however, what the acq fee is for my region for Ram right now, and that may even change this week with the new numbers. Cash would help with a quicker turnaround, as well, and squash any issues with 3rd-party lease buyout. BUT, then it leaves me without enough cash on hand to pull off a one-pay lease on the Wrangler if it should happen to arrive before I sell the Ram. If I lease the Ram, it is a big credit weight and could take as long as 2 mos before everything is settled and I can sell. It would leave me the ability to one-pay the Wrangler, but it is possible I wouldn't even get approved with such a large Ram lease on file. What about a relatively large cap reduction?

Opinions?

Do you have a HELOC?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

No HELOC

That's a lot of extra taxes for sure, but my opinion would be to purchase it, as leasing just seems to get more and more restrictive these days. Owning it would give you so much more flexibility for the exit plan.

• henrynhenryn Member Posts: 4,289
    qbrozen said:

I’ve had a few glitches with TPMS sensors myself. Last year, when I replaced / upgraded the wheels on my 2013 F150 XL work truck, I purchased new TPMS sensors. The originals were still working and I could have transferred them to the new wheels, but they were already 8 years old and the average life expectancy is given as 7 years. Buying the genuine Ford OEM parts would have cost me nearly $200, and the ones sold by Discount Tire were nearly that expensive. On Ebay, the Chinese knockoffs go for about $30 with mixed reviews. I decided to chance it, and went with the Chinese knockoffs. Discount Tire moved my nearly new tires off of the original steel wheels onto my new aluminum wheels, installed the cheap TPMS sensors, and activated them no problem. I was watching through the window while the man activated the sensors, and everything went quite smoothly.

But .. you knew there was going to be a “but”, right? Anytime I drive the truck for more than 10 or 15 minutes, I get a message “Tire Pressure Monitor Sensor Failure”. I ignore it, keep driving, and in a few more minutes the error message will clear itself. I assume this means that one of the four TPMS senders is failing intermittently, but there is no way to know which one. My choices at this point are to replace all 4 TPMS sensors with the right parts, for $200 plus labor, or to live with it. This being a now 9 year old work truck, I choose to live with it. If this were a new $50k truck, I would undoubtedly make a different decision.

I did some searching online, and there appears to be no way to disable the TPMS system.
    2023 Chevrolet Silverado, 2019 Chrysler Pacifica
  • sdasda Member Posts: 6,977
    The old fashioned fix, put black tape over the light. Check tire pressure on a regular basis. I was almost tripped up once, looking to buy a used car to use for a daily driver to work. I was about to make an offer on the car and noticed I didn't see the oil light coming on when starting the car. Black tape was hiding that light. I peeled the tape back and found it was glowing when the car was running. Could have been a minor issue, such as a bad sending unit. But the fact the owner was trying to hide it, no dice.

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

@qbrozen said:
    No HELOC

They’re handy things to have, especially if you have a decent amount of equity in your house.

• tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,905

Why wouldn’t you be approved for two leases with the same bank? I have two Volvo leases solely in my name. Both were first payment only OOP.

I’d try the lease and then if it gets dicey with the 4XE just have your wife sign for it.

Ahh.. the dreaded January CC bill. My wife did us a solid this year and with the way she bought it was spread over two statements.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

@28firefighter said:

I hadn’t seen that. Are they listing a reason?

They just seem to be trying to crack down on flippers/exporters/etc and I think one of the metrics is orders and finance accounts per household.

Also, just logically - the TRX is an 80-100k truck...
    edited January 2022

Makes sense. The leasing companies are taking all the fun out of this!

• MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 240,997
    tjc78 said:

Makes sense. The leasing companies are taking all the fun out of this!

In all fairness, they are the owners of the vehicle, when you lease.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

qbrozen said:

No HELOC

Maybe you could just put it on your black Amex card.

edited January 2022
    ab348 said:

qbrozen said:

No HELOC

Sorry to disappoint, but mine is only dark blue.

I've opted for the one-pay. Fingers crossed this all works out. My appt is Fri afternoon.

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,760
    qbrozen said:

ab348 said:

qbrozen said:

No HELOC

I've opted for the one-pay. Fingers crossed this all works out. My appt is Fri afternoon.
    The problem with a single pay lease, is you are prepaying finance charges, as well. Will that be factored into the lease payoff, if paid off early? I worry that you'll pay $3000 extra, that you can't recoup.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

kyfdx said:

I worry that you'll pay $3000 extra, that you can't recoup.

Interesting. That may be a cost of doing business if you're planning to resell it at a profit.
    kyfdx said:

qbrozen said:

ab348 said:

qbrozen said:

No HELOC

The problem with a single pay lease, is you are prepaying finance charges, as well. Will that be factored into the lease payoff, if paid off early? I worry that you'll pay $3000 extra, that you can't recoup.
    CCAP earns the rent charge monthly when calculating the buy out, even on One Pay. He should be fine there.
    edited January 2022
    In other news, I went to buy a CL Subaru and got hustled good. Car was fine, as described. Owner had title that wasn't in his name and had no driver's license to verify his identity. Threw an absolute hissy fit when I walked away and threatened me. Probably would have done more if we weren't in public. Demanded money for his time spent showing me the car - started getting physically agitated. Ended up giving him $100 to go away. I stayed there for a while after he left to make sure I wasn't followed.

That's enough for me, I think.