Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,373

@henryn said:
    Interesting note on possibly selling my work truck and buying a new one. Carvana, which had the highest bid by far, has not followed up. They're just waiting on me. The two low bidders, Algo and CarGurus, keep following up, emails, text messages. Algo especially.

If you call Algo, they’ll come up.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,238
    Algo's name reminds me of the cryptocurrency Algorand. Don't ask how I know.
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,441
    or the movie Argo.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,953
    Loved driving our '70 DeVille convertible back in the day. It was light blue with a white interior and top and was gorgeous. Being new Florida residents, the folks had to have at least one drop top and I was the one who always put the top down while driving it. Wasn't a small vehicle but was manageable for a 16 year old kid. In '72, my mom skidded in a bad rainstorm and a few days later, it was gone. She went to the local Lincoln store and over the phone, got my dad to buy her a white over white Lincoln Continental 2-door. Talk about heavy doors...and really long. nice driver all the same.
    For some reason, takes my wife awhile to purchase a new vehicle. Once I decide to do it & start looking, am usually done within 7 days, give or take. Takes her almost a month so I just tell her to let me know what day you're ready, and I'll show up to help if needed. The last couple, she did without much help from me & did pretty good actually.

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

• roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,312
    jmonroe1 said:

One of the biggest problems when you list on Craigslist is the the downright flakes you’ll get. I don’t have first hand knowledge of this but Son #1 does.

I’ve told the following story a few years ago on the Cars and Conversations forum but since we are talking about beaters I’ll repeat it here:

In 2016 my son had enough with his 2008 Chrysler Town and Country that had around 120K miles. He had tons of nuisance problems with it but now the tranny was acting up. He listed it on Craigslist and got a handful of people that were interested in it. The first guy worked at a place that specialized in the sale of tranny’s and tranny parts. He comes to look at it, takes it for a test drive and seemed to be pretty interested but wanted more time to think about it. My Son then decided that since he had the unlimited mileage lifetime warranty on the engine and tranny he was going to take the van to the Chrysler dealer he bought it from to see if the tranny was covered figuring they’d weasel out of it someway but he was going to try anyway.

So he calls to make an appointment and in a couple days he takes it in. The Service Advisor confirms that the tranny is covered but only if it was the typical Chrysler tranny problem and not beaten to death by him. But they would have to put it on the lift, drop the pan, look at the fluid and give it a once over look see and it was going to cost him 100/150 bucks (I can’t remember now what the price was) to do this. A-huh, that’s the catch but he figured what the hell. He asked what his chances were and the Service Advisor reiterated that they’d have look at it and he couldn’t promise anything. Just about then one of their senior techs walks by and the Service Advisor said, “ hey Joe, you got a minute to do a quick test drive on this guys van for a tranny problem”? The guy takes it and about 20 minutes later he comes back and says, “seems to be the typical tranny problem but I’ll have to look at it closer tomorrow”. My Son is starting to feel a little better and tells them to check it out. As my Son was leaving, the tech pulls him aside and says something like, “I’m not going to admit I’ve said this but I’m pretty sure you’re going to get a new tranny. You don’t look like a guy that beats his car. Again, I’m not going to admit I said this because I’m not in charge”. WOW, my Son is now feeling very good about this.

They call my Son the next day and said, “you’re in luck, we’re going to replace your tranny at no charge and we’ll credit you credit card for the inspection we did. My Son is now speechless. He picks the car up in about 4 or 5 days (they had to order a crate tranny) and when he gets home he calls the guy that was thinking it over and told him what happened but he’d honor the listing price. Guess what? This absolute moron says to my Son, “that’s great. Will you take 500 bucks off your price”. My Son can’t believe what he just heard and says, “NO, but thanks for letting me list this van for more money now”. And that is exactly what he did. He re-listed it for around 1300 bucks more, got it, and the phone never stopped ringing.

Some people don’t have the brains they were born with and a lot of them can be found on Craigslist.

jmonroe

Craigslist is proof that the mentally feeble can operate computers.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

I don't hammer on the Clubman all that that hard, and I've noticed the engine seems to pick up a rough idle and a bit of hesitation if it hasn't been exercised a bit. Just for giggles I poured a 300 ml can of Liqui Moly Jectron in the tank and drove it on some errands. I was able to keep it north of 85 mph on the interstate for around 10 minutes and the problem was solved. I guess the moral of the story is to to put the car in sport mode more often and drive it like I stole it...

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,953
    Worked 11 hours today just moving vehicles from Palm Beach airport to Ft Lauderdale airport. There were 7 drivers so moved 35 vehicles. Since I missed 3 days last week, thought I'd make some of that $ back. Now, off again tomorrow.

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

• jmonroe1jmonroe1 Member Posts: 7,466

@roadburner said:
    I don't hammer on the Clubman all that that hard, and I've noticed the engine seems to pick up a rough idle and a bit of hesitation if it hasn't been exercised a bit. Just for giggles I poured a 300 ml can of Liqui Moly Jectron in the tank and drove it on some errands. I was able to keep it north of 85 mph on the interstate for around 10 minutes and the problem was solved. I guess the moral of the story is to to put the car in sport mode more often and drive it like I stole it.

Yep, leave it to you to find an excuse to do that. :*

jmonroe

'15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
  • tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,856

@roadburner said:
    I don't hammer on the Clubman all that that hard, and I've noticed the engine seems to pick up a rough idle and a bit of hesitation if it hasn't been exercised a bit. Just for giggles I poured a 300 ml can of Liqui Moly Jectron in the tank and drove it on some errands. I was able to keep it north of 85 mph on the interstate for around 10 minutes and the problem was solved. I guess the moral of the story is to to put the car in sport mode more often and drive it like I stole it...

My cousin has been a Chrysler mechanic (now Service mgr) for well over 30 years. He always says just beat them from day one and you’ll be ok.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,564
    jmonroe1 said:

One of the biggest problems when you list on Craigslist is the the downright flakes you’ll get. I don’t have first hand knowledge of this but Son #1 does.

I’ve told the following story a few years ago on the Cars and Conversations forum but since we are talking about beaters I’ll repeat it here:

In 2016 my son had enough with his 2008 Chrysler Town and Country that had around 120K miles. He had tons of nuisance problems with it but now the tranny was acting up. He listed it on Craigslist and got a handful of people that were interested in it. The first guy worked at a place that specialized in the sale of tranny’s and tranny parts. He comes to look at it, takes it for a test drive and seemed to be pretty interested but wanted more time to think about it. My Son then decided that since he had the unlimited mileage lifetime warranty on the engine and tranny he was going to take the van to the Chrysler dealer he bought it from to see if the tranny was covered figuring they’d weasel out of it someway but he was going to try anyway.

So he calls to make an appointment and in a couple days he takes it in. The Service Advisor confirms that the tranny is covered but only if it was the typical Chrysler tranny problem and not beaten to death by him. But they would have to put it on the lift, drop the pan, look at the fluid and give it a once over look see and it was going to cost him 100/150 bucks (I can’t remember now what the price was) to do this. A-huh, that’s the catch but he figured what the hell. He asked what his chances were and the Service Advisor reiterated that they’d have look at it and he couldn’t promise anything. Just about then one of their senior techs walks by and the Service Advisor said, “ hey Joe, you got a minute to do a quick test drive on this guys van for a tranny problem”? The guy takes it and about 20 minutes later he comes back and says, “seems to be the typical tranny problem but I’ll have to look at it closer tomorrow”. My Son is starting to feel a little better and tells them to check it out. As my Son was leaving, the tech pulls him aside and says something like, “I’m not going to admit I’ve said this but I’m pretty sure you’re going to get a new tranny. You don’t look like a guy that beats his car. Again, I’m not going to admit I said this because I’m not in charge”. WOW, my Son is now feeling very good about this.

They call my Son the next day and said, “you’re in luck, we’re going to replace your tranny at no charge and we’ll credit you credit card for the inspection we did. My Son is now speechless. He picks the car up in about 4 or 5 days (they had to order a crate tranny) and when he gets home he calls the guy that was thinking it over and told him what happened but he’d honor the listing price. Guess what? This absolute moron says to my Son, “that’s great. Will you take 500 bucks off your price”. My Son can’t believe what he just heard and says, “NO, but thanks for letting me list this van for more money now”. And that is exactly what he did. He re-listed it for around 1300 bucks more, got it, and the phone never stopped ringing.

Some people don’t have the brains they were born with and a lot of them can be found on Craigslist.

jmonroe

I’ve sold cars on CL for as little as 400 bucks and they still want to negotiate. Next time I’m going to make the ad say: “car for sale $1000. If you want to negotiate….$1500”.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

henryn said:

Interesting note on possibly selling my work truck and buying a new one. Carvana, which had the highest bid by far, has not followed up. They're just waiting on me. The two low bidders, Algo and CarGurus, keep following up, emails, text messages. Algo especially.

I’ll buy it. Are you willing to knock $500 off?

Seriously though, what is Carvana offering?

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• dad23dad23 Member Posts: 866
    stickguy said:

or he is planning ahead for date night.

My first thought too, great minds...
  • MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 240,155
    Seven years ago today, we picked up our 2015 Outback 3.6R.

Since then, I've spent $3800 on repairs and maintenance, and traveled just over 48,000 miles.

It's been a good, solid car for us - not too exciting, but it gets the job done.

Wish I had a plan to upgrade it, but that doesn't seem to be in the cards at the moment. Perhaps in a few years.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

Just shy of 8 cents a mile, so a little below the average. Not bad at all.

If I did my math right I’m at about .8 cents/mile on the Acura. The nice part about a new car. About $100 in 13,000 miles (2 year Anniversary next week)

• breldbreld Member Posts: 6,698
    You all with your comments on teenage boys and minivans…giving me nightmares. Just cause we’re thinking it doesn’t mean it has to be said. :)

Got home yesterday from my weekend visiting my son at his college in Illinois. Fun weekend just him and I hanging out; the concert was incredible. First concert I’ve been to since before the pandemic started.

Had time when I got home yesterday to clean out the garage, wash the cars, and install the running boards onto the Bronco. They really finish off the car, and should prove very functional in getting in and out of it.

Super simple to install them. Just six bolts on each side into pre-threaded holes.

2024 Audi Q8 e-tron - 2024 Corvette - 2024 BMW X5 - 2023 Tesla Model Y

• 28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,334
    @breld, I'm pretty sure your garage is cleaner than the inside of my house.
    2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible
  • au1994au1994 Member Posts: 3,358
    edited February 2022

With a teenager in my house, I can guarantee it!

Speaking of, young Andretti’s wings have been clipped for a week. Last Thursday my wife checked him on Life360 and he hit 85 going to lacrosse practice. I know Life360 can read high on short trips which this was but he copped to 70 in a 45.

Teenagers…

2021 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4xe Granite Crystal over Saddle
    2024 Audi Q5 Premium Plus Daytona Gray over Beige
    2017 BMW X1 Jet Black over Mocha

edited February 2022
    I know I used to drive that fast when I was starting out. But for the life of me now, I don't know why...should've just invested in learning to drive on a track instead. Now 5-10 over is the most I'll do and that's only if traffic is moving fast enough to justify it. Not worth risking the delay from a traffic stop or needing to manage a speeding ticket defense.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,221

Nicer than the inside of my house, too.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 240,155

I know I used to drive that fast when I was starting out. But for the life of me now, I don't know why...should've just invested in learning to drive on a track instead. Now 5-10 over is the most I'll do and that's only if traffic is moving fast enough to justify it. Not worth risking the delay from a traffic stop or needing to manage a speeding ticket defense.

Exactly. I'll usually set the cruise to 5 over the limited - but, with ACC, I'm only going as fast as the flow of traffic.

I'm so glad that the days of having teenaged drivers in the house is long behind me. I got to know our local body shop owner on a first name basis during those years.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

@28firefighter said:

It doesn’t sound like you’ve ever spoken with our poster buddy @andres3. :o

jmonroe

'15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
    We luckily survived our kids on the policy days with no accidents or tickets.

I had to laugh when he said he “found it on the ground”. Yeah, being it’s a Rover, most of them are found on a lift.

jmonroe

@breld said:
    You all with your comments on teenage boys and minivans…giving me nightmares. Just cause we’re thinking it doesn’t mean it has to be said. :)

Got home yesterday from my weekend visiting my son at his college in Illinois. Fun weekend just him and I hanging out; the concert was incredible. First concert I’ve been to since before the pandemic started.

Had time when I got home yesterday to clean out the garage, wash the cars, and install the running boards onto the Bronco. They really finish off the car, and should prove very functional in getting in and out of it.

Super simple to install them. Just six bolts on each side into pre-threaded holes.

Looks like I’ll have to add them to any Wrangler I’m considering.

• henrynhenryn Member Posts: 4,289

henryn said:

I’ll buy it. Are you willing to knock $500 off?

Seriously though, what is Carvana offering?
    Carvana is offering $14,883.

Algo offered around $12 flat, can't find the email right now. And they are the most aggressive, sending emails and text messages.

Cargurus offered $8,739, which I find rather insulting. The truck was worth more than that before the market went crazy. They're obviously trying to rip people off. But why should I be surprised that a car dealer is trying to rip me off?
    2023 Chevrolet Silverado, 2019 Chrysler Pacifica

@28firefighter said:

I wish I could say that. I have a had a heavy foot from the beginning and it doesn’t seem to end (when I’m by myself).

tjc78 said:

@28firefighter said:

I wish I could say that. I have a had a heavy foot from the beginning and it doesn’t seem to end (when I’m by myself).

It helps that I live somewhere that people tend to drive relatively sedately for the most part.
  • laurasdadalaurasdada Member Posts: 4,686
    I generally drive with a good dose of alacrity; the GT type cars to which I gravitate tend to encourage such a style.
    But, unlike the seeming majority of my fellow Massholes, I maintain proper lane etiquette and am actually aware of, know how to use, and employ my turn signals (blinkahs)!

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

I try to go slower now. Helps that around here there is no shortage of idiots driving way too fast for traffic conditions. Let them attract the attention.

More relaxing to drive at a reasonable yet still quick pace. Much less stress. I’m not in that big a hurry!

• laurasdadalaurasdada Member Posts: 4,686
    Have only been cut off twice at high speed so far here in SF,one an Uber minivan. The second a red Honda Accord that couldn't have been any closer without scraping the front bumper of the rental Kia Forte.

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

@28firefighter said:
    It helps that I live somewhere that people tend to drive relatively sedately for the most part.

Like Stick said… no shortage of idiot drivers here. I’m certainly not the fastest/reckless but I’ve fractured a speed law or two.

I still can’t believe how fast the NJ Turnpike and AC Expressway can move. 85-90MPH in the middle lane and you’ll get passed.

• british_roverbritish_rover Member Posts: 8,502

That LS is only 15 or 20 minutes from me...

Welp guess I have to try and look at it.

The Prius is getting new front pads and rotors. And a new wheel bearing. And a new CV shaft assembly. So, my cheap beater is getting a lot less cheap… fingers crossed that takes care of everything for a while.

At least a bunch of jobs with largely duplicate labor.

@corvette said:
    The Prius is getting new front pads and rotors. And a new wheel bearing. And a new CV shaft assembly. So, my cheap beater is getting a lot less cheap… fingers crossed that takes care of everything for a while.

That all depends on how fast your watch is running. :o

jmonroe

@stickguy said:
    At least a bunch of jobs with largely duplicate labor.

Yeah, it appears they are only charging three hours labor for everything. The parts seem high, though.

parts aren't cheap these days I hear.

• mjfloyd1mjfloyd1 Member Posts: 3,225

@roadburner said:

@breld said:

Looks like I’ll have to add them to any Wrangler I’m considering.

Do not get Roam side steps. They rust like crazy

• xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,762
    edited February 2022
    qbrozen said:

What the heck are you apologizing to me for? Lol.

Nice work on the o ring!

I told you not to feel bad about the MB because I still didn't have the Q7 operational, then I turned around and got it operational. Hahaha
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
    henryn said:

One of the first things I did when I purchased that work truck last year. A double-DIN head unit, with SiriusXM tuner and antenna, backup camera, and bluetooth set me back around $300. This unit is not as good as what comes in most new cars, but it is functional and worth the $300. Of course, if you want to push the envelope, it's very easy to spend more on the stereo than you paid for the car.

I need to get one of these for the Forester. The stock unit in there is definitely the worst I've ever experienced (by a long shot). Thankfully, the unit in the 2018 Crosstrek is leaps and bounds better.

2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250

Worked 11 hours today just moving vehicles from Palm Beach airport to Ft Lauderdale airport. There were 7 drivers so moved 35 vehicles. Since I missed 3 days last week, thought I'd make some of that $ back. Now, off again tomorrow.

Nothing like testing the waters a bit before you dive in head first! :D
  • au1994au1994 Member Posts: 3,358
    edited February 2022

Beautiful sunset!

I actually saw 2 on Saturday. I like ‘em. I’d probably hate driving something that big, but they do have a presence on the road. Classy design I think.

2021 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4xe Granite Crystal over Saddle
    2024 Audi Q5 Premium Plus Daytona Gray over Beige
    2017 BMW X1 Jet Black over Mocha

• qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,891

Hey, whaddyaknow, I just improved the Escape. The sat radio is working. Didn’t pay a dime. Lol.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• tifightertifighter Member Posts: 3,592
    Here's one for Q-

Big truck goes vroom vroom

23 Civic Type-R / 22 MDX Type-S / 21 Tesla Y LR / 03 Montero Ltd

@xwesx - great pics. What kind of camera, if you don’t mind me asking?

tjc78 said:

@roadburner said:

My cousin has been a Chrysler mechanic (now Service mgr) for well over 30 years. He always says just beat them from day one and you’ll be ok.

Sure he would say that, he makes the big bucks to fix ‘em when you break ‘em. :D