Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• jmonroe1jmonroe1 Member Posts: 7,544

@roadburner said:
    I stopped at my dealer yesterday. There was nothing interesting in my price rage. My wife did like a new Portimao/Tacora M340i xDrive, but it had virtually no options- bare bones. There was a clean manual F80 M3, but it was black over black and it had a sunroof- three strikes. One of my old friends in sales said that production was ramping up and that she might have a G42 2er in status 112, so there's that.

Bare bones options and black over black sounds like @oldfarmer50 forgot to take the chase car rental back to Enterprise after a pick up trip to get a few used cars. Don’t worry they’ll send him back to get it.

jmonroe

'15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
  • oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,646
    edited April 2022
    jmonroe1 said:

@roadburner said:

I stopped at my dealer yesterday. There was nothing interesting in my price rage. My wife did like a new Portimao/Tacora M340i xDrive, but it had virtually no options- bare bones. There was a clean manual F80 M3, but it was black over black and it had a sunroof- three strikes. One of my old friends in sales said that production was ramping up and that she might have a G42 2er in status 112, so there's that.

Bare bones options and black over black sounds like @oldfarmer50 forgot to take the chase car rental back to Enterprise after a pick up trip to get a few used cars. Don’t worry they’ll send him back to get it.

jmonroe

It might have been ours since we leave any number of rentals at body shops so customers don’t have to travel to our offices.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,012

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• breldbreld Member Posts: 6,710

@28firefighter - hope your wife’s symptoms remain mild and that you and your son stay healthy.

Pretty much everyone in my family has had it over the past year, all at separate times, which is sort of weird. No one seemed to have gotten it from one another.

2024 Audi Q8 e-tron - 2024 Corvette - 2024 BMW X5 - 2023 Tesla Model Y

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,826
    @28firefighter Sorry to hear that. 🙁

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,826
    Where am I located?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,421
    edited April 2022

Welp. We managed over 2 years but my wife has COVID after returning from a business trip. So far very mild symptoms, but she is isolating from my son and I. We both remain asymptomatic and negative. Hoping it stays that way. That said, I’ve been solo parenting for nearly a week now and now am taking care of the sick patient as best I can. I am fried. I know I’m fried because I don’t even want to car shop.

I hope she gets better soon.

The solo parenting thing does burn you out. One of the hardest things I've been going through is that my wife is completely exhausted by dinner time since she gets up well before 5:00 AM. I've got to clean up from dinner, load the dishwasher, make sure the kitchen is clean, and try to get my kids showered and to bed. Most nights they are up until well past 10:00 - 10:30. My daughter's anxiety keeps her up well past 11 most nights. Weekends are packed too.

Not that I will have time to see it, but has anybody seen "The Batman?" Thoughts?

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• sdasda Member Posts: 6,977
    kyfdx said:

Where am I located?

FL?

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

• tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,906

@kyfdx said:
    Where am I located?

Florida

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

And that looks soooo much like my 04. That one is 98-02

• qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,934
    Oh, speaking of Panthers, when we last stopped for gas near Baltimore on the way home, a foursome car club of some sort pulled in. Two ex-cop cars, an MGM, and a Towncar. I couldn't hear the TC, but the others were sporting some serious hardware. I didn't get to talk to them but the lead ex-cop car sounded like a flat plane GT350. Just amazing. The two that followed were definitely turned up to 10, but that lead car was 11, easy.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,262

@qbrozen said:
    And why the heck don't we get climate controls on the steering wheel? That is brilliant!

Have you driven a Prius lately?

• mjfloyd1mjfloyd1 Member Posts: 3,271

@28firefighter - I hope your wife does well and you and the little one avoid it all together

edited April 2022
    corvette said:

Have you driven a Prius lately?

No, I like driving.

I'm kidding, Prius people! (well, not really, but I respect it as an economical mode of transportation)

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,306
    My 02 Explorer had fan and temp on the steering wheel along with cruise and audio controls.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert

@explorerx4 said:
    My 02 Explorer had fan and temp on the steering wheel along with cruise and audio controls.

The 04 Grand Marquis (pictured above lol) and my 06 Avalon did as well.

@qbrozen said:
    Things are progressing. Good god, this things looks immaculate! And why the heck don't we get climate controls on the steering wheel? That is brilliant! I've included only 7 of the 32 photos they sent.

Dear Mr. Robert-san,

Please find attached below photos from the yard in Kawasaki. We have booked the car for Hoegh Target V.76 vessel that will ship on May 10, please be aware that sometimes the vessel can be delayed for a few days, ETA is June 20, Baltimore.

Best regards,
    Japan Motor Team

Love it!

• nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,421

May have a punch upcoming. Forewarned is foramred.

Trading in your A Spec for a TLX Type S?

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

@qbrozen said:
    Oh, speaking of Panthers, when we last stopped for gas near Baltimore on the way home, a foursome car club of some sort pulled in. Two ex-cop cars, an MGM, and a Towncar. I couldn't hear the TC, but the others were sporting some serious hardware. I didn't get to talk to them but the lead ex-cop car sounded like a flat plane GT350. Just amazing. The two that followed were definitely turned up to 10, but that lead car was 11, easy.

There are some serious Panther builds out there for sure.

GG's son has been looking for a new vehicle.
    Accord Sport 2.0?

@28firefighter, we’re all hoping your wife gets over this ASAP and you get back to normal too, whatever that is.

jmonroe

'15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
    Interesting to hear these previous options with climate controls on the steering wheel. I wonder why it wasn't/isn't more common.

Just a side note, wife has come to the conclusion (I think) that if the Sprinter gets canceled, we're going with a Suburban. Well, OK, she said large SUV and I came to the Suburban conclusion after some minimal research. Seems to be the largest one out there still, and I like the diesel option. The problem is the price ... comes to $77k. Ouch!

• carnaughtcarnaught Member Posts: 3,497
    kyfdx said:

Where am I located?

Hawaii?
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,515
    Won’t a loaded Sienna work?

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

edited April 2022
    stickguy said:

Won’t a loaded Sienna work?

Believe it or not, a Suburban has 45% more cargo space than a Sienna, as did our T&C. Minivans just ain't what they were.

• henrynhenryn Member Posts: 4,289
    qbrozen said:

Interesting to hear these previous options with climate controls on the steering wheel. I wonder why it wasn't/isn't more common.

Just a side note, wife has come to the conclusion (I think) that if the Sprinter gets canceled, we're going with a Suburban. Well, OK, she said large SUV and I came to the Suburban conclusion after some minimal research. Seems to be the largest one out there still, and I like the diesel option. The problem is the price ... comes to $77k. Ouch!

The Sprinter and the Suburban are really quite different animals. As an alternative to the Suburban, have you considered a Nissan Armada? A friend of mine, with 3 kids still at home, has an Armada and is quite pleased with it.

Any particular reason your wife is not considering another minivan?
    2023 Chevrolet Silverado, 2019 Chrysler Pacifica
    henryn said:

The Sprinter and the Suburban are really quite different animals. As an alternative to the Suburban, have you considered a Nissan Armada? A friend of mine, with 3 kids still at home, has an Armada and is quite pleased with it.

Any particular reason your wife is not considering another minivan?

Armada is also quite a bit smaller. At 145 cu ft, the Suburban (and its badge-engineered brethren) are unmatched in the SUV world. Even the Expedition Max comes up over 20 cu ft short of it. She wants AWD/4WD, which leaves the aforementioned Sienna and its paltry 100 cu ft or the Pacifica that she has test driven and disliked.

We obviously want the Sprinter, but there has been talk of people having their orders canceled. Hopefully that doesn't happen to us.

• au1994au1994 Member Posts: 3,381
    qbrozen said:

Actually sounds pretty good for one of those. I’ve seen some trims well north of that.

2021 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4xe Granite Crystal over Saddle
    2024 Audi Q5 Premium Plus Daytona Gray over Beige
    2017 BMW X1 Jet Black over Mocha

• au1994au1994 Member Posts: 3,381
    Sorry about the COVID diagnosis @28firefighter. Despite a return to semi normal its still out there.

Hope you and the kiddo dodge it.

2021 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4xe Granite Crystal over Saddle
    2024 Audi Q5 Premium Plus Daytona Gray over Beige
    2017 BMW X1 Jet Black over Mocha

• tifightertifighter Member Posts: 3,604
    qbrozen said:

I like this. Nice find.

23 Civic Type-R / 22 MDX Type-S / 21 Tesla Y LR / 03 Montero Ltd

• ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,084
    qbrozen said:

Give it a week and tell her it got cancelled, just as she feared. :D Bullet dodged.

Look on the bright side re. the alternative: at least she isn't wanting a 6-figure Escalade.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,012
    Shopping update.

Was able to test drive the XC40 Recharge on Saturday. Nice, nice car. Quick, quiet (well, it's an EV!), rides well.

I was talking to @breld about it and made the observation that, for as many of his cars as he's let me drive over the years, I'm always more worried about keeping it in one piece than I am of noticing the small details.

The XC40, even though it's the "entry level" Volvo, exudes quality in the interior. Comfortable seats, all the touch points are soft in the right places.

A few small misses - no ventilated seats available (apparently, it has to do with the materials the seat cushions are made of), no levers to fold the rear seats down from the rear compartment, and no frunk.

I'm struggling with the fact that it's a $60K car, equipped the way we want it, but that's just me channeling my dad.

I'm hoping to test drive the VW ID.4 tomorrow and bring it to the girls to get their feedback on it. Similarly equipped, it's about $10K cheaper than the Volvo - I know that the interior won't live up to the high standards the Volvo has set for me, but we do have a budget to consider.

With the Volvo, no more 2022's available - the allocations for the 2023's start in May, and one dealer has indicated they'll work with me to get the configuration we want, with an expected Q4 delivery.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

ab348 said:

qbrozen said:

Give it a week and tell her it got cancelled, just as she feared. :D Bullet dodged.

Look on the bright side re. the alternative: at least she isn't wanting a 6-figure Escalade.
    Telling her it’s cancelled, could put the Escalade at the top of the list. :'( Honesty is still the best policy.

jmonroe
    ab348 said:

Oh, she asked! I told her $100k and she said "never mind."

On the Suburban, $77k seems pretty loaded. That's a Premier 4wd diesel with Premium pack (which adds trailering and safety, etc). The only things remaining I can possibly add are some interior LED lights, power-retractable running boards, bigger wheels, and a trailer camera. Highest spec appears to be a 6.2L High Country Deluxe for $83.5k. Basically the same thing but you can get darker brown seats and it comes with the aforementioned power running boards and interior bling. Stick with the diesel and you can get that one for $81.9k. So I'm only $5k from the top.

• mjfloyd1mjfloyd1 Member Posts: 3,271

@28firefighter said:
    Thanks, all! Surviving day by day, but as @nyccarguy pointed out, it is exhausting. I'm doing all our meals, mornings, dinner, bed time, bath time, etc.

We are 3 days in and continue to test negative, which means he can go to school with a mask since he is vaccinated.

He told me this morning that my cooking and lunch quality has dramatically improved.

That must mean that your cooking and lunch quality was pretty bad initially 😂

@28firefighter,
    So you started adding jelly to the peanut butter on the sandwiches? :D

Thanks, all! Surviving day by day, but as @nyccarguy pointed out, it is exhausting. I'm doing all our meals, mornings, dinner, bed time, bath time, etc.

We are 3 days in and continue to test negative, which means he can go to school with a mask since he is vaccinated.

He told me this morning that my cooking and lunch quality has dramatically improved.

————————————————-

That’s a left handed complement if I ever heard one. :o

jmonroe

@28firefighter,
    So you started adding jelly to the peanut butter on the sandwiches? :D

————————————————

I guess that works for the little ones but by 5th grade you gotta take it like a man.

jmonroe
  • tifightertifighter Member Posts: 3,604
    edited April 2022
    Finally got some miles on the Y with the A/T tires over the weekend. Stock wheel size was 255/40/20 with the new setup now at 255/55/18. This means the new circumference is 29”, or +1” over stock. A bit more ground clearance, and a lot more sidewall. Any bigger and it will rub at lock. Ride quality is noticeably improved, which could be the sidewall, the tire itself, the nearly 9 pounds more weight per corner, or a combination of all three. In any case, even with the more aggressive tread pattern, it’s still about 20% more efficient than the X was on all seasons (which is why the X gets a bigger battery). Real world range at 70 mph could be around 250 miles. Still a bit of a guess. But I can work with that.

23 Civic Type-R / 22 MDX Type-S / 21 Tesla Y LR / 03 Montero Ltd

tifighter said:

Finally got some miles on the Y with the A/T tires over the weekend. Stock wheel size was 255/40/20 with the new setup now at 255/55/18. This means the new circumference is 29”, or +1” over stock. A bit more ground clearance, and a lot more sidewall. Any bigger and it will rub at lock. Ride quality is noticeably improved, which could be the sidewall, the tire itself, the nearly 9 pounds more weight per corner, or a combination of all three. In any case, even with the more aggressive tread pattern, it’s still about 20% more efficient than the X was on all seasons (which is why the X gets a bigger battery). Real world range at 70 mph could be around 250 miles. Still a bit of a guess. But I can work with that.

Sharp looking in that color.

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,515
    Michaell said:

Shopping update.

Was able to test drive the XC40 Recharge on Saturday. Nice, nice car. Quick, quiet (well, it's an EV!), rides well.

I was talking to @breld about it and made the observation that, for as many of his cars as he's let me drive over the years, I'm always more worried about keeping it in one piece than I am of noticing the small details.

The XC40, even though it's the "entry level" Volvo, exudes quality in the interior. Comfortable seats, all the touch points are soft in the right places.

A few small misses - no ventilated seats available (apparently, it has to do with the materials the seat cushions are made of), no levers to fold the rear seats down from the rear compartment, and no frunk.

I'm struggling with the fact that it's a $60K car, equipped the way we want it, but that's just me channeling my dad.

I'm hoping to test drive the VW ID.4 tomorrow and bring it to the girls to get their feedback on it. Similarly equipped, it's about $10K cheaper than the Volvo - I know that the interior won't live up to the high standards the Volvo has set for me, but we do have a budget to consider.

With the Volvo, no more 2022's available - the allocations for the 2023's start in May, and one dealer has indicated they'll work with me to get the configuration we want, with an expected Q4 delivery.

Consider a Mach E? Also the new Hyundai (ioniq 5?). Is supposed to be really nice and supports ultra high speed charging.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.