Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,029
    Michaell said:

I'm hoping to test drive the VW ID.4 tomorrow and bring it to the girls to get their feedback on it. Similarly equipped, it's about $10K cheaper than the Volvo - I know that the interior won't live up to the high standards the Volvo has set for me, but we do have a budget to consider.

The one thing I have consistently heard about the VW is that the infotainment system is maddening. Don't know if that is worth $10K though.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,199
    carnaught said:

kyfdx said:

Where am I located?

Hawaii?
    I wish.. in September.

Beautiful Fort Myers Beach, FL .

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,952
    Ditto on the new VW infotainment system...frustrating is what I've commonly heard & read. Personally, my Golf has a very dumbed down audio system which suits me fine. It's got the Fender audio & really, couldn't ask for more. Either listening to Sirius/XM or using Apple Play, very satisfied with the sound quality the 9 speakers give and having two knobs to control it all is just perfect!
    Been driving the Accent more & more lately and or a regular bare bones vehicle, it's better than many others out there. Easy to drive and decent mpg's make this something I could actually live with as my d d to be honest. It just does everything right and considering she got it for $17K otd with 3 free oil changes back in 12/19, think she made out like a bandit! She even got a check from the insurance company of $5K for her totaled 2008 Accent. With only 41K on the clock, she wasn't looking to replace it quite yet but the guy who hit her made it necessary to buy something new. Guess the timing was right as it was right before the pandemic hit our shores & getting it for such a great price was just icing on the cake!

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

• xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,759
    tifighter said:

Finally got some miles on the Y with the A/T tires over the weekend. Stock wheel size was 255/40/20 with the new setup now at 255/55/18. This means the new circumference is 29”, or +1” over stock. A bit more ground clearance, and a lot more sidewall. Any bigger and it will rub at lock.

Ride quality is noticeably improved, which could be the sidewall, the tire itself, the nearly 9 pounds more weight per corner, or a combination of all three. In any case, even with the more aggressive tread pattern, it’s still about 20% more efficient than the X was on all seasons (which is why the X gets a bigger battery). Real world range at 70 mph could be around 250 miles. Still a bit of a guess. But I can work with that.

Looks good! A practical improvement, for sure, especially if you actually want to use it off the beaten path a little, and there are a lot of areas in that region easily accessible for that sort of thing.

That reminds me that I need to swap the winter tires off our cars. There's still some slush in the driveway, but all the roads are clear now and the weather this week should take care of any remaining difficulty in the drive. I'm looking forward to getting the new wheels on the Forester.
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
    Still dealing with vertigo but it's a lot better than it was. The physical therapy seems to be helping and think the end is near. Wouldn't wish this on anyone to be honest as it really knocked me out for a few weeks there. I'm not one who likes to lie in bed much but at it's worst, that's all I was able to do. And taking that tumble in the hallway left me in pain for more than a few days. Truthfully, I don't mind getting older as being 67 is really a nice age but when one just feels so lousy all the time, ain't much fun!
    Today's a sad day for me as it's just 17 years ago that I had my on the job injury at work. Changed our lives going forward & still living with the after effects on a daily basis. I know it's hard on my family as making any kinds of plans are always iffy as I never know how I'm going to feel on any day so hard to make long range plans as I hate to disappoint the others. I just take one day at a time now & deal with what life hands me. Best to make lemonade out of lemons is my life philosophy and it seems to be working!

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

• roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,312

@kyfdx said:
    Where am I located?

Geritol Gardens?

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,729
    tifighter said:

Finally got some miles on the Y with the A/T tires over the weekend. Stock wheel size was 255/40/20 with the new setup now at 255/55/18. This means the new circumference is 29”, or +1” over stock. A bit more ground clearance, and a lot more sidewall. Any bigger and it will rub at lock. Ride quality is noticeably improved, which could be the sidewall, the tire itself, the nearly 9 pounds more weight per corner, or a combination of all three. In any case, even with the more aggressive tread pattern, it’s still about 20% more efficient than the X was on all seasons (which is why the X gets a bigger battery). Real world range at 70 mph could be around 250 miles. Still a bit of a guess. But I can work with that.

Is their a formula for reduced range at 80 or 85 MPH?
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
  • andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,729
    sda said:

Accord Sport 2.0?

I'd have a hard time going from the GTI to the Accord; better the other way around, from the Accord to the GTI, or in my case, the '06 A3.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
  • MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 240,118
    The girls want an suv; I don’t think the Ioniq5 or EV6 will fit the bill.

I’m aware of the infotainment issues, but I want them to have an unvarnished perspective of it.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,437
    the Ioniq is basically the same as the Volvo. a square 5 door. I think it is bigger too. but maybe I should check!

OK, I looked. If the XC40 is an "SUV" than so is this!

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,759
    stickguy said:

the Ioniq is basically the same as the Volvo. a square 5 door. I think it is bigger too. but maybe I should check!

OK, I looked. If the XC40 is an "SUV" than so is this!

Maybe they should hold off a bit and go for an ID Buzz when they come around to our market.
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
    I just watched a couple of YouTube reviews of the id.4. People have problems with the infotainment but apparently if you stick with CarPlay or Android Auto it is less of an issue. The range seems to be the bigger issue depending on how you use it and access to charging. You do get 3 years of Electrify America for free so that’s a plus. I quite liked the interior treatment. Quirky but cool.

edited April 2022
    ab348 said:

I just watched a couple of YouTube reviews of the id.4. People have problems with the infotainment but apparently if you stick with CarPlay or Android Auto it is less of an issue. The range seems to be the bigger issue depending on how you use it and access to charging. You do get 3 years of Electrify America for free so that’s a plus. I quite liked the interior treatment. Quirky but cool.

A few general observations about the EV shopping, so far.

1. Neither of them want to go to the dealer, so I'm trying to narrow down the field and bring them cars that I think will fit the budget, be the right size, and be more comfortable than the MINI
    2. The ID.4 has a grey interior as an option, which is preferable to the all black found in so many cars these days
    3. Good to know about CarPlay, but you have to use the haptic controls for anything climate related, as well. Not a knob to be found, apparently
    4. This would be a good introduction to the ID.Buzz, which the wife is very keen on
    5. The use case is as a commuter vehicle, about 20-25 miles every time they go to the studio. Range isn't a huge issue; we have the Subaru, or my step-daughter can rent an ICE vehicle if she wants to go further
    6. The local utility has a nice program in place where they will install a charger for you; in return, you pay a monthly service charge of less than $15 and agree to charge the vehicle during off-peak times
    7. They want an SUV shape, so the Polestar was ruled out; I suspect the IONIQ5 and EV6 are not large enough. The Solterra (Subaru) and Ariya (Nissan) have very limited availability, though both would fit the bill. Pricing for the Solterra was released today - $52K for the top level Touring trim.

Not surprisingly, nobody has anything in stock; looks like a special order is necessary and could be 10-12 months for an ID.4 to be available. Looking at dealer inventory on-line has been frustrating, as any cars that show up are either pre-orders for other customers or simply don't exist. If the ID.4 is where we land, I'll start contacting VW dealers to see what they have that can be bought.

Daughter wants the blue with a grey interior, and AWD.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

• mjfloyd1mjfloyd1 Member Posts: 3,224

Only the VW ID.4 PRO S is available in blue over grey for $50K

mjfloyd1 said:

Only the VW ID.4 PRO S is available in blue over grey for $50K

That’s the model we are looking at.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

The id.4 1st Edition was available with a white interior with color accents scattered throughout which I thought was very cool.

ab348 said:

The id.4 1st Edition was available with a white interior with color accents scattered throughout which I thought was very cool.

The grey they offer is a very light grey.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

• corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,236
    Congrats, @graphicguy ! Yours marks the 10th punch so far this year.
  • oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,559
    qbrozen said:

Things are progressing. Good god, this things looks immaculate! And why the heck don't we get climate controls on the steering wheel? That is brilliant! I've included only 7 of the 32 photos they sent.

Dear Mr. Robert-san,

Please find attached below photos from the yard in Kawasaki. We have booked the car for Hoegh Target V.76 vessel that will ship on May 10, please be aware that sometimes the vessel can be delayed for a few days, ETA is June 20, Baltimore.

Best regards,
    Japan Motor Team

The lace seat doilies are a nice touch.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,373
    Congrats @graphicguy

@Michaell - any interest in a Wrangler 4Xe? I’ve never owned a Jeep before and really love it.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

nyccarguy said:

Congrats @graphicguy

@Michaell - any interest in a Wrangler 4Xe? I’ve never owned a Jeep before and really love it.

I’ve tried to talk to them about a plug-in, but they seem to want the full EV experience.

And, even if the PHEV was on the table, I don’t the the Wrangler is their cup of tea. They are looking for something that rides nicer than the MINI.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

I'm guessing the least price EV vehicle out there is either the Chevy Bolt or the Nissan Leaf. Just wondering if one can really get either for around the $30K price point? I'm still not comfortable spending much over that amount on anything honestly especially now that I'm putting such low miles every year. Went under 3K in 2019, around 3K in 2020 & 2021 and doubt I'll go much over that 3K figure in the current year. Maybe I'm just not ready to get an EV quite yet.
    Which leaves me in the same quandry as always...I want something new & in reality though, I don't need to do anything! It comes down to the want against the need as usual. Reading about so many of you folks getting new vehicles makes me want something also but maybe I should continue to wait. As long as nothing really goes wrong, maybe waiting till 2024 might be the best thing after all. And it's looking like the market place is agreeing with me on this point. Hoping by then, the chip issue should be winding down & new vehicles will once again be available on dealer lots. In December of this year, I'll have owned my Golf for 8 years though it doesn't seem that long. 10 years just might be the magic number here!

I'm guessing the least price EV vehicle out there is either the Chevy Bolt or the Nissan Leaf. Just wondering if one can really get either for around the $30K price point? I'm still not comfortable spending much over that amount on anything honestly especially now that I'm putting such low miles every year. Went under 3K in 2019, around 3K in 2020 & 2021 and doubt I'll go much over that 3K figure in the current year. Maybe I'm just not ready to get an EV quite yet.
    Which leaves me in the same quandry as always...I want something new & in reality though, I don't need to do anything! It comes down to the want against the need as usual. Reading about so many of you folks getting new vehicles makes me want something also but maybe I should continue to wait. As long as nothing really goes wrong, maybe waiting till 2024 might be the best thing after all. And it's looking like the market place is agreeing with me on this point. Hoping by then, the chip issue should be winding down & new vehicles will once again be available on dealer lots. In December of this year, I'll have owned my Golf for 8 years though it doesn't seem that long. 10 years just might be the magic number here!

I haven't looked at pricing on either the Bolt or the Leaf. I do know that GM has sold enough EV and plug-in vehicles that the tax credits are no longer applicable, and I suspect Nissan is close to that threshold.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

• benjaminhbenjaminh Member Posts: 6,311
    edited April 2022

Dealer paid me to take his new car......! That's a first.

Punch!

Congrats!! Great color.
    2018 Acura TLX 2.4 Tech 4WS (mine), 2018 Honda CR-V EX AWD (wife's)
  • breldbreld Member Posts: 6,698
    nyccarguy said:

Welp. We managed over 2 years but my wife has COVID after returning from a business trip. So far very mild symptoms, but she is isolating from my son and I. We both remain asymptomatic and negative. Hoping it stays that way. That said, I’ve been solo parenting for nearly a week now and now am taking care of the sick patient as best I can. I am fried. I know I’m fried because I don’t even want to car shop.

I hope she gets better soon.

The solo parenting thing does burn you out. One of the hardest things I've been going through is that my wife is completely exhausted by dinner time since she gets up well before 5:00 AM. I've got to clean up from dinner, load the dishwasher, make sure the kitchen is clean, and try to get my kids showered and to bed. Most nights they are up until well past 10:00 - 10:30. My daughter's anxiety keeps her up well past 11 most nights. Weekends are packed too.

Not that I will have time to see it, but has anybody seen "The Batman?" Thoughts?
    I'm late on the response, but my sons and I really liked The Batman. Even my wife liked it...she goes to most of the comic book movies with us to be a good sport, but she genuinely liked this one. It had the tone of a dark crime drama...sort of a film noir feel. I'm hoping DC starts to find their own way and rhythm with their movies...to me, The Batman showed that there is room for a different type of comic book/superhero genre. DC tried to replicate and fast track what the MCU has been doing, but with spotty success at best.

Okay - I'm done nerding out. By the way, if you have HBO Max, The Batman is available to stream now.

2024 Audi Q8 e-tron - 2024 Corvette - 2024 BMW X5 - 2023 Tesla Model Y

• corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,236
    Today's insanity: Found a slightly used Maverick XLT, incorrectly labeled as a Maverick XL. Ecoboost AWD, CoPilot 360, bed cover, bed liner, heated seats (so I'm assuming it has the XLT Luxury package). I'm guessing it stickered around $30k. Cars.com says it's a bargain at $43k, and that the market price is closer to $53k.
    nyccarguy said:

Congrats @graphicguy

You have now become a member of the Cult of Wrangler...

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

breld said:

nyccarguy said:

Welp. We managed over 2 years but my wife has COVID after returning from a business trip. So far very mild symptoms, but she is isolating from my son and I. We both remain asymptomatic and negative. Hoping it stays that way. That said, I’ve been solo parenting for nearly a week now and now am taking care of the sick patient as best I can. I am fried. I know I’m fried because I don’t even want to car shop.

The solo parenting thing does burn you out. One of the hardest things I've been going through is that my wife is completely exhausted by dinner time since she gets up well before 5:00 AM. I've got to clean up from dinner, load the dishwasher, make sure the kitchen is clean, and try to get my kids showered and to bed. Most nights they are up until well past 10:00 - 10:30. My daughter's anxiety keeps her up well past 11 most nights. Weekends are packed too.

Not that I will have time to see it, but has anybody seen "The Batman?" Thoughts?
    I'm late on the response, but my sons and I really liked The Batman. Even my wife liked it...she goes to most of the comic book movies with us to be a good sport, but she genuinely liked this one. It had the tone of a dark crime drama...sort of a film noir feel. I'm hoping DC starts to find their own way and rhythm with their movies...to me, The Batman showed that there is room for a different type of comic book/superhero genre. DC tried to replicate and fast track what the MCU has been doing, but with spotty success at best.

Okay - I'm done nerding out. By the way, if you have HBO Max, The Batman is available to stream now.
    I plan to watch it. Right now my son and I are watching Slow Horses on Apple TV+; dark, cynical, with a dose of wry humor and sarcasm. Gary Oldham is just brilliant.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O9ZJChzPn0U

corvette said:

Today's insanity: Found a slightly used Maverick XLT, incorrectly labeled as a Maverick XL. Ecoboost AWD, CoPilot 360, bed cover, bed liner, heated seats (so I'm assuming it has the XLT Luxury package). I'm guessing it stickered around $30k. Cars.com says it's a bargain at $43k, and that the market price is closer to $53k.

I really like my Lariat, but if somebody offers me $40k for it, I am taking it and going shopping!

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,199
    stickguy said:

corvette said:

I really like my Lariat, but if somebody offers me $40k for it, I am taking it and going shopping!
    https://www.edmunds.com/appraisal/

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,559
    edited April 2022
    qbrozen said:

My son went for his first driving lesson today. I'm really disappointed that I'm not permitted to legally teach him myself. But, I guess it is good he is learning on somebody else's car. Instructor said he did fine. He did comment that he has a bit of a heavy foot, though. I have no idea from whom he may have learned that.

Why can’t you legally teach him? I’ve taught a number of kids to drive and it was a fun experience for all involved. Probably less stressful for all.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,891

@oldfarmer50 said:
    Why can’t you legally teach him? I’ve taught a number of kids to drive and it was a fun experience for all involved. Probably less stressful for all.

Because now NJ won’t allow them to have their permit until they complete a number of hours of instructed driving with a licensed school.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• au1994au1994 Member Posts: 3,356
    edited April 2022

nyccarguy said:

Congrats @graphicguy

You have now become a member of the Cult of Wrangler...
    Come on, there’s plenty of room on the bus!

I ended up putting a cat-back aftermarket exhaust on mine after I bashed the OEM one on a trail. The dealer wanted 1700 to fix so I took it elsewhere. Midas told me to order a new hanger ($15) and pick up a cat-back aftermarket and they would install. So $180 for an aFe unit and $130 to Midas, I’ve got a nice little sound when using dead dino’s. I don’t find it to drone much. We took it to the lake this weekend and the wife noticed it but didn’t complain. It has the aerodynamics of a brick so wind noise probably helps mask it.

There is a Bridgestone Dueler that has a more aggressive tread (A/T Revo 3) that I am thinking about putting on in 275/60/20. That would be about an inch bigger than OEM. I think it would look better and fill out the wheel well better. Its supposed to be quiet and not impact electric range at all.

I just love it though. Generates a lot of conversation wherever we go. Parked at a charging station next to a Rivian this weekend and that guy wanted to talk more about the Jeep than his 800hp Rivian. Nice looking truck btw.

2021 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4xe Granite Crystal over Saddle
    2024 Audi Q5 Premium Plus Daytona Gray over Beige
    2017 BMW X1 Jet Black over Mocha

• graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665

breld said:

nyccarguy said:

I plan to watch it. Right now my son and I are watching Slow Horses on Apple TV+; dark, cynical, with a dose of wry humor and sarcasm. Gary Oldham is just brilliant.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O9ZJChzPn0U
    Wow…that’s quite a physical transformation for Oldham. I like just about everything he’s done.

My son and I watched The Batman in my Home Theater. Well done, if a little on the longish side. Had to pause it for 3 beer exiting breaks.
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
    Got to give Edmunds kudos for their pricing tool to see if a deal is good or not. I used to be able to pretty much gauge a good deal on my own. But, that was before the current market settled in. Harder to see these days. Tip of the Costa Rican cup to Edmunds.
    tifighter said:

Finally got some miles on the Y with the A/T tires over the weekend. Stock wheel size was 255/40/20 with the new setup now at 255/55/18. This means the new circumference is 29”, or +1” over stock. A bit more ground clearance, and a lot more sidewall. Any bigger and it will rub at lock. Ride quality is noticeably improved, which could be the sidewall, the tire itself, the nearly 9 pounds more weight per corner, or a combination of all three. In any case, even with the more aggressive tread pattern, it’s still about 20% more efficient than the X was on all seasons (which is why the X gets a bigger battery). Real world range at 70 mph could be around 250 miles. Still a bit of a guess. But I can work with that.

Dang....I really do like that color!
    kyfdx said:

stickguy said:

corvette said:

Troublemaker. I’m actually afraid to try it! Wouldn’t do it anyway until I figure out our moving situation. Or my next one arrives!

corvette said:

qbrozen said:

Because now NJ won’t allow them to have their permit until they complete a number of hours of instructed driving with a licensed school.

I had no idea there was a cartel of licensed driving schools in NJ that could afford to hire lobbyists to visit the state legislature.
    I’m not sure why they do it. But I actually like it, after seeing how badly most of the adults around here drive. Plus keeps the initial acclimation damage off my car!

They have to do 4 hours I think behind the wheel. Plus get classroom at school usually to pass written test.

edited April 2022
    Question for the Mass. crowd. Since I’m too lazy to research. How much do you get hit for buying a car up there for doc fees, taxes and DMV stuff? At least ballpark. In Boston sadly.

The princess held off for a year but can’t stand not having a car now. She’s moving to a new apartment in june outside of downtown that offers dedicated parking spot for “only” $150/month. Much cheaper rent plus she just got a nice raise so it makes sense.

• qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,891
    I think it might be 6 hours.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

edited April 2022
    Could be. It’s been 10 years since my baby did it.

Man I’m getting old.

• jmonroe1jmonroe1 Member Posts: 7,465
    kyfdx said:

stickguy said:

corvette said:

Hear me out on this.

Since @stickguy is reluctant to get a price from Edmunds for his Maverick using the lame excuse that he has to settle his moving situation first, what happens if I get an Edmunds price for it and the group in here agrees that it is a good price? Wouldn’t the Edmunds bylaws dictate that he has to accept the offer and split the profit with me? :/

jmonroe
    '15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
    edited April 2022
    stickguy said:

Question for the Mass. crowd. Since I’m too lazy to research. How much do you get hit for buying a car up there for doc fees, taxes and DMV stuff? At least ballpark. In Boston sadly.

The princess held off for a year but can’t stand not having a car now. She’s moving to a new apartment in june outside of downtown that offers dedicated parking spot for “only” $150/month. Much cheaper rent plus she just got a nice raise so it makes sense.

MA Registry of Motor Vehicles

Sales tax is 6.25%, I believe.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

stickguy said:

kyfdx said:

stickguy said:

corvette said:

Troublemaker. I’m actually afraid to try it! Wouldn’t do it anyway until I figure out our moving situation. Or my next one arrives!
    What's the latest update of when your hybrid Maverick arrives? At that point you should be able to get a nice profit on one of them.
    benjaminh said:

stickguy said:

kyfdx said:

stickguy said:

corvette said:

What's the latest update of when your hybrid Maverick arrives? At that point you should be able to get a nice profit on one of them.
    I have heard nothing. Based on the forums I assume September maybe at best. I would actually prefer to get bumped to 2023 but I doubt it’s happening.

edited April 2022
    Michaell said:

stickguy said:

MA Registry of Motor Vehicles

Sales tax is 6.25%, I believe.
    Thanks. Not as bad as I feared. On about a $22k car I’ll just guesstimate $2k on TTL. close enough for budgeting.

In my local market it seems like the new car shortage is getting worse again. A month ago my local Acura dealer had more than a dozen vehicles in stock, and now they are down to two. Local Honda dealers seem down as well. The Hyundai dealer is charging thousands over list on everything they've got, but they haven't got that much. Mercedes-Benz dealer also seems short of new vehicles. It's a great time to sell, but it's a challenge to get a great new car at msrp at the same time.