Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 240,057
    ronsteve said:

@cdnpinhead said:

Some call it battleship grey, but you need to be old enough to know what a battleship is. Plus you need to think it's good.

The wife’s Jetta is the shade of grey that I think is being discussed. VW calls it platinum gray, my wife picked it, and was still in her 30s at the time.

My 2016 Jetta was a similar color, and the 2015 Jetta my nephew left behind is the same.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• 28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,333

My previous Jeep and new one (if it ever appears) will be sting gray which I’m pretty sure is similar to what others are talking about. The granite paint is darker gray.

2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible

My previous Jeep and new one (if it ever appears) will be sting gray which I’m pretty sure is similar to what others are talking about. The granite paint is darker gray.

Shouldn't we all emulate @qbrozen and put our ordered cars into our signature block? That way, we all know what's coming.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,432
    My truck is dark gray. And looks really sharp.

plus in 1/2 an hour I turn an age with really does sound "old" (the "big one")

Michael, listen to your sister. shop the mini and if you get a strong offer dump it. and go grab the Sonata.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

showed some more stuff to my daughter. She fell in love with a Mazda 3 hatch (select model) in the darker blue. That was actually a pretty good deal. 10k miles was $327 (I think) per month with about $2,200 DAS for taxes and DMV stuff and bank fee. Though that was under my account down here. If she lived here probably would have pushed the "buy it now" button! Though she has no place to park it in Boston until early June.

• benjaminhbenjaminh Member Posts: 6,311
    edited April 2022
    Happy birthday stickguy!

Honda is still theoretically offering so-so leases on the Civic, although they require a large downpayment. By any chance did your daughter graduate from college in the last two years? If so, there's an extra $500 off. The challenge, of course, is finding a car in stock and getting a dealer to agree to lease it to you at this price.

Probably out of the price range, but the new Integra is going to start at around 30k, and Acura is taking orders now for delivery in the next few months.

https://www.acura.com/tools/reserve-online?modelYear=2023&vehiclemodelSeries=integra&zipcode=40205&dealer=251087
    2018 Acura TLX 2.4 Tech 4WS (mine), 2018 Honda CR-V EX AWD (wife's)
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,250
    Civic lease is really 300+ per month unless you make a big down payment(not recommended with a lease).
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,175
    stickguy said:

showed some more stuff to my daughter. She fell in love with a Mazda 3 hatch (select model) in the darker blue. That was actually a pretty good deal. 10k miles was $327 (I think) per month with about $2,200 DAS for taxes and DMV stuff and bank fee. Though that was under my account down here. If she lived here probably would have pushed the "buy it now" button! Though she has no place to park it in Boston until early June.

My son's best friend has that car in dark gray. Same trim, FWD. He likes it a lot.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,175
    Back in November, we couldn't find a Civic hatch, anywhere. :/

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

Had odd email from local Honda dealer yesterday. Touting a bunch of almost new (2022) super low mile CPO units. Looked online and they had about 20 miles or so on them.

Turns out it was their way of cheating. They advertise hard about selling at MSRP. Plus the usual $999 or so accessories package. So they took their new inventory and called it used and marked up the price (on pilot was $2k over sticker). Though I guess you get CPO warranty if that is worth anything on a brand new car. 20 miles on it so not. Even a loaner which they don’t do, or a demo unit.

• sdasda Member Posts: 6,934

@stickguy said:

Michael, listen to your sister. shop the mini and if you get a strong offer dump it. and go grab the Sonata.

Happy Birthday and welcome to the club.

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

• nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,373
    Happy Birthday @stickguy

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

Thanks!

• au1994au1994 Member Posts: 3,356

I thought for some reason your first one was Snazzberry. Too bad its discontinued, its a sharp color. It was 2nd choice for me.

2021 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4xe Granite Crystal over Saddle
    2024 Audi Q5 Premium Plus Daytona Gray over Beige
    2017 BMW X1 Jet Black over Mocha

Happy Birthday @stickguy!

Hope you get something car related for you and the Maverick!

Civic lease is really 300+ per month unless you make a big down payment(not recommended with a lease).

$300 is not bad at all for a Civic in my book.

• roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,312

@cdnpinhead said:
    Well done!

It's nice to hear of one of these things being used for the purpose for which it was designed, a rare thing, I think.

Back in the early '90s I remember asking the owner of an E28 M5 how it handled on the track. She looked at me as if I had asked if she raised goats in the back seat; “Oh, no- that would hurt the resale value!” Another owner answered the same question with, “After I spend all day cleaning it I wouldn’t want to get it dirty.”
    Idiot poseurs.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,889
    Talk me out of leasing a Charger or Challenger, please.

Charger Hellcat WB has a virtually 0 MF. RV not tremendous at 59% for 39/10. Looking like 8% or so off sticker plus another $1k loyalty.
    stickguy said:

Had odd email from local Honda dealer yesterday. Touting a bunch of almost new (2022) super low mile CPO units. Looked online and they had about 20 miles or so on them.

Turns out it was their way of cheating. They advertise hard about selling at MSRP. Plus the usual $999 or so accessories package. So they took their new inventory and called it used and marked up the price (on pilot was $2k over sticker). Though I guess you get CPO warranty if that is worth anything on a brand new car. 20 miles on it so not. Even a loaner which they don’t do, or a demo unit.

First, happy birthday!

Second, how the heck can they do that without Honda raising an eyebrow? They'd have to buy them out in the dealer's name, transfer title, and then take it back in as used. That's all kinds of fishy.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    nyccarguy said:

This is my way of bringing balance to The Force. I punched my card.

20 years ago today

We must be the only ones who find the zen in red vehicles.
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
    Volvo is at the dealer already. First time I drove it, CEL and reduced performance. Lol.
    Great thing is the dealer came and got the car and will bring it back. I can't complain much about repairs if I never have to leave the house for it. Selling dealer told us CEL was on but that they would take to dealer and take care of it. I'm not so sure they actually did that. Codes I pulled were mass evap leak (if related to TSB, it just needs an updated hose of some sort) and, more sever, crank shaft position sensor out of range.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• benjaminhbenjaminh Member Posts: 6,311
    My wife chose red too for her functional and well-used CR-V. The color is actually called "lava"!

2018 Acura TLX 2.4 Tech 4WS (mine), 2018 Honda CR-V EX AWD (wife's)
    I miss my flashy red TLX. Car had style.

• henrynhenryn Member Posts: 4,289

A little quick math, roughly $323 per month without the loyalty thing. Not bad in this market, I suppose.
    2023 Chevrolet Silverado, 2019 Chrysler Pacifica
    Carvana and Vroom have been getting some bas press lately for misrepresenting vehicle condition and title issues. They own a lot of vehicles.

Charger Hellcat WB has a virtually 0 MF. RV not tremendous at 59% for 39/10. Looking like 8% or so off sticker plus another $1k loyalty.

Talk you out of it? You'll be lucky if someone in this group doesn't beat you to the deal.

• henrynhenryn Member Posts: 4,289
    qbrozen said:

stickguy said:

First, happy birthday!

Second, how the heck can they do that without Honda raising an eyebrow? They'd have to buy them out in the dealer's name, transfer title, and then take it back in as used. That's all kinds of fishy.
    That not only sounds fishy, it is fishy -- downright cheating, in my book. And anyone who is obviously cheating from the get-go is not someone you want to do business with.
    2023 Chevrolet Silverado, 2019 Chrysler Pacifica
  • jmonroe1jmonroe1 Member Posts: 7,460
    sda said:

@stickguy said:

Happy Birthday and welcome to the club.

Club? Is that the Working Club?

Until you’re retired you’re not in the real club. You’re just kids racking up years.

In any case, happy birthday @stickguy.

jmonroe
    '15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
    Ha. That Charger/Challenger question wasn't supposed to be there. It was a post from a couple of days ago I decided not to publish. Of course, it hung around until I responded to stick.

I've talked myself out of it .... I think.

You could always get it for me as a birthday present. Though the wrx would be more my style.

• oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,559
    nyccarguy said:

This is my way of bringing balance to The Force. I punched my card.

20 years ago today

That looks better than many new car styles today.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

qbrozen said:

stickguy said:

First, happy birthday!

I can’t imagine a PUG guzzling muscle car like that is selling very well with $4+/gallon gas right now. That could be a good contrarian lease as it should become more desirable if gas prices go down during the 39 months.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,756

@graphicguy said:

I think that you are forgetting someone…

Whose old hooptie is that?! :D

2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • sdasda Member Posts: 6,934

@jmonroe1 said:
    Club? Is that the Working Club?

Until you’re retired you’re not in the real club. You’re just kids racking up years.

In any case, happy birthday @stickguy.

jmonroe

Ha, I was going to ask @stickguy to contact you about dues payment.

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

• graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665

@graphicguy said:

I think that you are forgetting someone…

Bless you, my son! ;)
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
  • corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,236
    edited April 2022
    henryn said:

That not only sounds fishy, it is fishy -- downright cheating, in my book. And anyone who is obviously cheating from the get-go is not someone you want to do business with.

IMO, the shortage of new cars has made these tactics worse, and has also highlighted the inability or unwillingness of the manufacturers to address them. I'm assuming dealers worry a lot less about getting bonuses for having near-perfect CSI scores when they are selling every vehicle for way over MSRP.

There is a post almost every day on the Maverick boards about a dealer selling a customer-ordered car to someone other than the person who ordered it with a buyer's order agreeing to pay MSRP at delivery.
  • ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,024
    This is ancient history but shenanigans about shuffling of vehicles are an old and time-honoured tradition in the auto business. Adam over at the Rare Classic Cars YouTube channel posted an interview he did with Bob Lutz (at age 90!) last weekend and he talked about his time at BMW in the early ‘70s. Their new cars were in demand and they could not produce enough to satisfy it so dealers and export markets were on allocation. They discovered a number of cars coming into German dealers for warranty work that were listed on their records as being exported. Investigation revealed that some staff in the export department were greasing the wheels with cash to have the intended dealer or foreign importer redirect those cars back to them for sale as nearly new used cars. Those individuals got fired. He said the company was rife with corrupt practices back then.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,024
    Speaking of red cars…

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

Some on here have read 'Arrogance and Accords'. Lots of shady practices at the corporate and dealer level detailed in the book.

Some on here have read 'Arrogance and Accords'. Lots of shady practices at the corporate and dealer level detailed in the book.

I have a hard copy first edition of that book.

The first story told are about dealers in my home town.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

• pensfan83pensfan83 Member Posts: 2,537

@corvette said:
    I'm assuming dealers worry a lot less about getting bonuses for having near-perfect CSI scores when they are selling every vehicle for way over MSRP.

Maybe in some instances, but money is still money to them. On another board I frequent someone posted his story how his wife's car was totaled in an accident so they were in bind. He not only paid a bit over MSRP but they added a mandatory dealer pack of a few thousand dollars and wouldn't relent. He moved forward with the purchase but then excoriated the dealer on the survey. That of course didn't sit well but I would do the same thing if need be.

1997 Honda Prelude Base - 2022 Acura MDX Type S Advance - 2021 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road - 2006 BMW 330Ci ZHP
    shipping is expensive these days anyway. Go for the drive!

well, if a dealer wants a good survey, they should give good service and experience.

• laurasdadalaurasdada Member Posts: 4,684
    Happy Birthday, Stick. Although will it be without a new car?!

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

• corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,236
    stickguy said:

well, if a dealer wants a good survey, they should give good service and experience.

This. I also agree with @pensfan83 that money is money to the dealers, but it seems like most of them have made a conscious decision to forego happy customers in exchange for collecting huge premiums above MSRP.
    ab348 said:

Speaking of red cars…

Is that the theme now?

• laurasdadalaurasdada Member Posts: 4,684
    My first new car was an arrest-me-red '85 Mitsubishi Mirage Turbo. Only white, silver/gray variations and blue since. But, were I to buy a Mazda, Crystal Soul Red!

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

Also in the club.