Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    Red vehicle owners are kindred spirits.

:)
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
  • tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,849

Happy Birthday @stickguy

Re: red cars
    I’ve had several burgundy. One of my favorite exterior colors. (89 MGM, 98 Olds 88, 09 Genesis, 2017 Enclave)

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,433

Happy Birthday, Stick. Although will it be without a new car?!

considering my last new car only has 1,300 miles on it, yes.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,498
    stickguy said:

well, if a dealer wants a good survey, they should give good service and experience.

This pretty much falls into the "duh" category, not that it matters.

'08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester
    Michaell said:

@cdnpinhead - I coulda had it shipped, but I couldn't bear the thought of you going crazy with that decision.

Thank you for your consideration.

You can't imagine how much I don't really care. I enjoy seeing cars being driven as opposed to being collected. I don't see a lot of that around here.

Sorry.
  • greg128greg128 Member Posts: 526
    henryn said:

Michaell said:

Order in ... expected punch in 8-10 months.

This is for an ID.4, correct?
    Looks like they will be making them in Tennessee so you won't have to worry about it winding up in the bottom of the ocean like a bunch of VW EV's on their way from Germany a few months back.

• MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 240,056
    greg128 said:

henryn said:

Michaell said:

Order in ... expected punch in 8-10 months.

This is for an ID.4, correct?
    Looks like they will be making them in Tennessee so you won't have to worry about it winding up in the bottom of the ocean like a bunch of VW EV's on their way from Germany a few months back.

The GM of the VW dealership mentioned that on Tuesday when I talked with him.

I suspect most VW dealers in North America will be glad to see that line get up and running ASAP.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• mjfloyd1mjfloyd1 Member Posts: 3,220

@Michaell said:
    Looks like I'm flying to CA in a few weeks to visit my family (first visit with the granddaughter!) and bring the Sonata back to CO.

I'm having my sister get a new head unit put in with CarPlay compatibility so I won't be bored out of my mind on the drive home.

@cdnpinhead - I coulda had it shipped, but I couldn't bear the thought of you going crazy with that decision.

Wait just a minute. I thought we were going to vote and as a group decide how people retrieved their vehicles? 🤣😂

• andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,729
    stickguy said:

benjaminh said:

stickguy said:

kyfdx said:

stickguy said:

corvette said:

Today's insanity: Found a slightly used Maverick XLT, incorrectly labeled as a Maverick XL. Ecoboost AWD, CoPilot 360, bed cover, bed liner, heated seats (so I'm assuming it has the XLT Luxury package). I'm guessing it stickered around $30k. Cars.com says it's a bargain at $43k, and that the market price is closer to $53k.

I really like my Lariat, but if somebody offers me $40k for it, I am taking it and going shopping!
    https://www.edmunds.com/appraisal/
    Troublemaker. I’m actually afraid to try it! Wouldn’t do it anyway until I figure out our moving situation. Or my next one arrives!
    What's the latest update of when your hybrid Maverick arrives? At that point you should be able to get a nice profit on one of them.
    I have heard nothing. Based on the forums I assume September maybe at best. I would actually prefer to get bumped to 2023 but I doubt it’s happening.
    I always figure 10% extra for CA.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
  • roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,312
    I'm a past member as well.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• sdasda Member Posts: 6,934

What year and 5 version is that? Sharp. Automatic, not. A good friend had a black 76 525 (?) Automatic. He bought it cheap. It was a good runner and I really enjoyed driving it. It had a really nice balance of ride and handling. He wished it was a manual as the automatic blunted performance. IIRC at 70 mph it was around 4K rpm.

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

sda said:

What year and 5 version is that? Sharp. Automatic, not. A good friend had a black 76 525 (?) Automatic. He bought it cheap. It was a good runner and I really enjoyed driving it. It had a really nice balance of ride and handling. He wished it was a manual as the automatic blunted performance. IIRC at 70 mph it was around 4K rpm.
    It's an E28; a1987 535is- the "s" denoting the M Technic airdam and rear spoiler, sport suspension and sport seats.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• henrynhenryn Member Posts: 4,289
    edited April 2022
    I have owned in the past two red cars and one red truck. Nothing currently though.

This was my last red car. I eventually sold it as I could not stop the slow leaks through those chrome rims, and I couldn't find any replacement wheels that I liked for less than $1,200.

2023 Chevrolet Silverado, 2019 Chrysler Pacifica
    We had our radon detection system installed when we moved into our house 4 years ago.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

• henrynhenryn Member Posts: 4,289
    Radon levels are generally very low in this part of the world (Houston). If you're curious, look at the map here.

https://geodata.epa.gov/Radon/
    2023 Chevrolet Silverado, 2019 Chrysler Pacifica
    Looks like a great time!

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

• 28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,333

So awesome!

2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible
    more fun than my job!

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,186
    That's really cool. I did a BMW track day at KY Speedway in 2020. Hit 141 mph in an M8 Competition at the end of the straight (with me driving). 617 hp, though.

The Cayman is just about my favorite car, but I'd have been all over that Ferrari ride.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

pensfan83 said:

BMW is out of hibernation as of today so I'll add to the red car parade soon. Inspection runs out on Saturday. Oops 🤦‍♂️

I'll just wait for @pensfan83 to post pictures of my red car.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• mjfloyd1mjfloyd1 Member Posts: 3,220

@cdnpinhead said:
    Thank you for your consideration.

You can't imagine how much I don't really care. I enjoy seeing cars being driven as opposed to being collected. I don't see a lot of that around here.

Sorry.

I hope I get a pass. I used an online buying program and traded crv for crv hybrid. Indiana to California is a long way and I have a job…

• explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,250
    For 2023, Toyota is releasing a manual Supra. Only 500 units for the U S. They'll go quick.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
    I would not mind having one.

• nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,373
    2001 Black Type SH Prelude with 162,000 miles just popped up on FB marketplace for $4,500. Next town over from me. I messaged the seller to see if the clutch had been changed and any required Timing Belt maintenance had been performed. He responded: "Yes. A few months ago."

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

I am intrigued.

But seems cheap if it just had $3k of major maintenance done.

Looks like a used car lot!

Sharp looking Volvo though.

• ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,024
    qbrozen said:

162k miles. It won’t be pretty, I’m sure.

BTW, pics of volvo finally. Dealer had it back to us same day. Changed the evap purge valve and line.

Why did that police cruiser follow you home? :p

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• pensfan83pensfan83 Member Posts: 2,537
    nyccarguy said:

2001 Black Type SH Prelude with 162,000 miles just popped up on FB marketplace for $4,500. Next town over from me. I messaged the seller to see if the clutch had been changed and any required Timing Belt maintenance had been performed. He responded: "Yes. A few months ago."

That '01 EBP Prelude with 236K sold for $7,700.
    1997 Honda Prelude Base - 2022 Acura MDX Type S Advance - 2021 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road - 2006 BMW 330Ci ZHP

@pensfan83 said:
    That '01 EBP Prelude with 236K sold for $7,700.

Wow. And that was on BAT with their crazy fees.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

Since we can’t post MP ads here:

And 2 more:

• graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    Boy, if that Prelude runs and drives at all, that would be a steal in today’s market. I would have to think being a manual transmission car mitigates some of the enthusiasm, as the group who’d like this car can’t drive them.

Keep us posted if you make a run at it.
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
    No title? Hmmm

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

:( > @kyfdx said:

That's really cool. I did a BMW track day at KY Speedway in 2020. Hit 141 mph in an M8 Competition at the end of the straight (with me driving). 617 hp, though.

The Cayman is just about my favorite car, but I'd have been all over that Ferrari ride.

I did the same event; my run group was full of complete cowards who would barely drive over 100. The fastest I saw was 117.

• explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,250
    That Prelude hasn't been registered long, maybe a couple of years, if that's the real plate for it.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert

That Prelude hasn't been registered long, maybe a couple of years, if that's the real plate for it.

My thoughts exactly. Both plates on my MY '22 SUVs have the new 2 letters & 5 number configuration.

• breldbreld Member Posts: 6,698

@tifighter said:
    On paper, this interests me. Then I think about trying to buy a limited run Supra. At a Toyota dealer. A root canal would feel like a vacation.

I just emailed the salesperson at the dealership where I bought my Supra a couple years ago. We’ll see.

2024 Audi Q8 e-tron - 2024 Corvette - 2024 BMW X5 - 2023 Tesla Model Y

• breldbreld Member Posts: 6,698

@roadburner said:
    :( > @kyfdx said:

I did the same event; my run group was full of complete cowards who would barely drive over 100. The fastest I saw was 117.

Oh you would’ve hated me on the go kart track yesterday. In my group, the fastest lap was right around 60 seconds. My fastest lap…90 seconds! 😀

2024 Audi Q8 e-tron - 2024 Corvette - 2024 BMW X5 - 2023 Tesla Model Y

Michaell said:

Looks like I'm flying to CA in a few weeks to visit my family (first visit with the granddaughter!) and bring the Sonata back to CO.

Yeah, lesson learned. The last time I got such a response was when I had the temerity to suggest that people should be able and willing to change a fuse in their car without consulting "the guy."

• 28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,333
    edited April 2022
    I've said this before, but one of my favorite pass times is judging people's life choices without any context.

Also when I first moved in to our new house, our neighbors thought I was into something nefarious because of how often I changed cars. Once I explained to them lease hacking and my obsession with cars, it made much more sense. Well no, it did not, but now they don't worry about it.
    2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible
    Looks like a great time!
    breld said:

@tifighter said:

On paper, this interests me. Then I think about trying to buy a limited run Supra. At a Toyota dealer. A root canal would feel like a vacation.

I just emailed the salesperson at the dealership where I bought my Supra a couple years ago. We’ll see.

I wondered if you were going to do that.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

• jmonroe1jmonroe1 Member Posts: 7,460
    kyfdx said:

pensfan83 said:

BMW is out of hibernation as of today so I'll add to the red car parade soon. Inspection runs out on Saturday. Oops 🤦‍♂️

I'll just wait for @pensfan83 to post pictures of my red car.
    ————————————————

Spoken like a guy who’s trying to figure out how to go about being an Indian giver. :/

jmonroe
    '15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
  • sdasda Member Posts: 6,934
    edited April 2022

After my wife and I married in 99 we moved into a house we had built. At the time I drove a 98 Mazda Millenia and the wife a 97 Altima GXE 5sp. Because I previously had a 96 Millenia, I quickly tired of the 98 and traded it in late 99 for a 98 Cadillac Catera (no comments please). My wife never really cared for the Altima especially as it was a rushed replacement for her 240 SX which had burned in a house fire before we married. Soon we bought her a new a 99 Passat 1.8t 5sp. I sold the Catera to CarMax and bought a new 00 Jetta GLX VR-6 which I eventually sold to my SIL. My wife was pregnant with our daughter and we were trying to cut down our monthly outlay. I bought a cheap used 99 Cutlass GLS. I was debating whether to put a sunroof in it and instead found a very clean 00 Intrigue GL with 13k and fully loaded w/sunroof and the 3.5 Shortstar V6. It was a sweet car, yet about a year later I found an 01 Aurora 4.0 that had my name on it. In the meantime we traded the Passat to do a 24 mo lease on an 03 Honda Odyessey to transport half the house and our daughter around. One of my neighbors questioned my sanity. lol. I just laughed and explained my love of cars. I've had many cars since, but my pace of trading has slowed considerably. My passion for cars is still strong and intact.

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav