Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• pensfan83pensfan83 Member Posts: 2,555

@nyccarguy said:

@pensfan83 said:
    That '01 EBP Prelude with 236K sold for $7,700.

Wow. And that was on BAT with their crazy fees.

I would probably go the C&B route. People seem to not treat sellers quite like punching bags there.

1997 Honda Prelude Base - 2022 Acura MDX Type S Advance - 2021 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road - 2006 BMW 330Ci ZHP
  • tifightertifighter Member Posts: 3,604
    breld said:

@tifighter said:

On paper, this interests me. Then I think about trying to buy a limited run Supra. At a Toyota dealer. A root canal would feel like a vacation.

I just emailed the salesperson at the dealership where I bought my Supra a couple years ago. We’ll see.

DM me when you cut it loose.

23 Civic Type-R / 22 MDX Type-S / 21 Tesla Y LR / 03 Montero Ltd

• jmonroe1jmonroe1 Member Posts: 7,543
    breld said:

@roadburner said:

:( > @kyfdx said:

That's really cool. I did a BMW track day at KY Speedway in 2020. Hit 141 mph in an M8 Competition at the end of the straight (with me driving). 617 hp, though.

The Cayman is just about my favorite car, but I'd have been all over that Ferrari ride.

I did the same event; my run group was full of complete cowards who would barely drive over 100. The fastest I saw was 117.

Oh you would’ve hated me on the go kart track yesterday. In my group, the fastest lap was right around 60 seconds. My fastest lap…90 seconds! 😀

————————————————

90 seconds !! Were you pushing that go kart or pulling it. :o

jmonroe
    '15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
  • laurasdadalaurasdada Member Posts: 4,725
    henryn said:

I have owned in the past two red cars and one red truck. Nothing currently though.

This was my last red car. I eventually sold it as I could not stop the slow leaks through those chrome rims, and I couldn't find any replacement wheels that I liked for less than $1,200.

I went through same chrome rim issue with my '99 Chrysler 300M.

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

• henrynhenryn Member Posts: 4,289

Putting aside feelings on the brand, the idea of even talking to a salesperson anymore has completely soured me since buying my wife's Tesla. 3 clicks and I was done - my only human interaction was with the person delivering the car.

I understand your viewpoint completely. I recently changed insurance companies, both auto and home. I was hoping for a painless process, getting quotes online, comparing coverages and costs. There are a lot of insurance companies out there, and most of them have no online presence, at least not for shopping. Everything seems to go through commissioned salespeople. Except for Progressive, which is where I wound up going. There I was able to do everything online, even received a small discount for shopping online, and a bigger discount for paying upfront. Obviously they have embraced the 21st century, Allstate, State Farm, not so much.
    2023 Chevrolet Silverado, 2019 Chrysler Pacifica
  • corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,262

For whatever reason, I didn’t get the mass email that was sent out by Ford this week to people who had ordered a Maverick (I got the last one they sent out in March). I chatted with a Ford rep online and she found my order, said it has not been scheduled, but also said she didn’t see any constraints, which is an odd statement given that I picked the CoPilot 360 package that has been under constraint for a long time.

• dad23dad23 Member Posts: 870
    breld said:

@tifighter said:

On paper, this interests me. Then I think about trying to buy a limited run Supra. At a Toyota dealer. A root canal would feel like a vacation.

I just emailed the salesperson at the dealership where I bought my Supra a couple years ago. We’ll see.

I'm kinda shocked they didn't reach out to you first!
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,513
    corvette said:

For whatever reason, I didn’t get the mass email that was sent out by Ford this week to people who had ordered a Maverick (I got the last one they sent out in March). I chatted with a Ford rep online and she found my order, said it has not been scheduled, but also said she didn’t see any constraints, which is an odd statement given that I picked the CoPilot 360 package that has been under constraint for a long time.

I did get this Email. So I know they still have my order. I don't bother to follow up on it though. At this point I am hoping to get bumped to a 2023so I can update the build I picked.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• breldbreld Member Posts: 6,710

@dad23 said:

We’ll see how it goes. They were the ones who discounted heavily my Supra when others wouldn’t, the sales manager stating that as cool as it was, it was still just a car and he wanted to make a sale. But that was two years ago.

More recently, I had spoken with them about the new GR86, and they had no markups.

So I have hope, but not counting on it.

2024 Audi Q8 e-tron - 2024 Corvette - 2024 BMW X5 - 2023 Tesla Model Y

For Michael. I actually really like this car. The super fast charging capability is a huge plus. and with the single motor the range is actually a lot better. Still seems like you have to stop too frequently.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Vm_ASm2zfs

• xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,788

Is that the theme now?

You know, you spend your time pining for that shiny red car, thinking about how you will stand out from the crowd, how you'll just enjoy looking at it beaming back at you... and, when you finally get it, you look around and can't help but notice red cars everywhere.

:(
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,418

I've said this before, but one of my favorite pass times is judging people's life choices without any context.

Also when I first moved in to our new house, our neighbors thought I was into something nefarious because of how often I changed cars. Once I explained to them lease hacking and my obsession with cars, it made much more sense. Well no, it did not, but now they don't worry about it.

Funny that you made a comment about the neighbors. Our neighbors across the street have had the same '06 Sienna AWD and '08 Outback H6 since we bought our house in 2010.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• carnaughtcarnaught Member Posts: 3,497
    Remember the, “lease a Catera” (Lisa Catera) ads?
  • sdasda Member Posts: 6,977
    I don't like it, today's reality. At least this dealer is upfront about it though it doesn't list the mark up on the site, only MSRP.

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

• roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,348

@breld said:

@dad23 said:

We’ll see how it goes. They were the ones who discounted heavily my Supra when others wouldn’t, the sales manager stating that as cool as it was, it was still just a car and he wanted to make a sale. But that was two years ago.

More recently, I had spoken with them about the new GR86, and they had no markups.

Ask him about the GR Corolla Circuit Edition; I could be talked into a road trip.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 240,997
    stickguy said:

For Michael. I actually really like this car. The super fast charging capability is a huge plus. and with the single motor the range is actually a lot better. Still seems like you have to stop too frequently.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Vm_ASm2zfs

There isn’t a local dealer that doesn’t slap a huge markup on these.

And, too late now. The powers that be have decided the ID.4 is the one.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• carnaughtcarnaught Member Posts: 3,497
    Around me some Autonation dealers are not charging ADM’s and are selling for MSRP plus $499 doc fees and high fee for window tint, a must in the desert.
    Their experience with the road trip was interesting. Huge caveat though, since most other non-Teslas don’t support that super fast charging.

Logical answer I guess, is don’t try a long road trip!

For dealers, buyers had no issue buying from them at a loss when the dealer was overstocked. So ADM now is fair game.

MSRP can’t only be sacrosanct one direction!

• dad23dad23 Member Posts: 870
    breld said:

@dad23 said:

If you don't mind me asking, was this the one on Arapahoe, or Broadway?
    stickguy said:

Their experience with the road trip was interesting. Huge caveat though, since most other non-Teslas don’t support that super fast charging.

I've been watching some YouTube videos with folks taking their ID.4's on road trips. Lots and lots and lots and lots of stops for charging.

The tradeoff seems to be to charge quickly to 40-50-60% and hit the next charger 50-80 miles down the road, and repeat ("charger hopping", it's called). Plus, finding chargers next to the highways.

One video was a trip from Chicago to Orlando.

Not sure I can see us using the VW for a long road trip.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

I've got an appointment to take the Outback to the dealer on Monday - the window switch on the drivers door no longer works to open the front passenger window. That switch works fine, so if there's someone in the seat, they can raise/lower the window themselves.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

stickguy said:

For dealers, buyers had no issue buying from them at a loss when the dealer was overstocked. So ADM now is fair game.

I'm going to have to disagree with you on that one. I don't think dealers ever sell at a loss. Overall, they make a profit on every sale. Some sales are very low profit, just to get the numbers up to qualify for incentives, but they still make a profit overall else they wouldn't be in business.

ADM is not illegal, it's all a part of the game. But the dealership mentioned before, who were turning over their new cars as used cars so they could charge more, that to me was sleazy. I'm sure not everyone would agree with me on that, but that is my viewpoint.
  • au1994au1994 Member Posts: 3,380
    Michaell said:

stickguy said:

I've been watching some YouTube videos with folks taking their ID.4's on road trips. Lots and lots and lots and lots of stops for charging.

The tradeoff seems to be to charge quickly to 40-50-60% and hit the next charger 50-80 miles down the road, and repeat ("charger hopping", it's called). Plus, finding chargers next to the highways.

That would drive me crazy. When I’m on a road trip, I’m on a mission to get there. Its bathroom breaks at gas stops only and run through the drive through and eat behind the wheel for me.

2021 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4xe Granite Crystal over Saddle
    2024 Audi Q5 Premium Plus Daytona Gray over Beige
    2017 BMW X1 Jet Black over Mocha

• pensfan83pensfan83 Member Posts: 2,555

@henryn said:
    I'm going to have to disagree with you on that one. I don't think dealers ever sell at a loss. Overall, they make a profit on every sale. Some sales are very low profit, just to get the numbers up to qualify for incentives, but they still make a profit overall else they wouldn't be in business.

ADM is not illegal, it's all a part of the game. But the dealership mentioned before, who were turning over their new cars as used cars so they could charge more, that to me was sleazy. I'm sure not everyone would agree with me on that, but that is my viewpoint.

BMW got in hot water for putting cars into their loaner fleets and counting those as sales.

1997 Honda Prelude Base - 2022 Acura MDX Type S Advance - 2021 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road - 2006 BMW 330Ci ZHP
    au1994 said:

Michaell said:

stickguy said:

That would drive me crazy. When I’m on a road trip, I’m on a mission to get there. Its bathroom breaks at gas stops only and run through the drive through and eat behind the wheel for me.

same with me. Ideally I would need a comfortable 250 miles range (with a reserve) for my most common trip. and that includes a lot of uphill running at 75 on the Thruway. On something like the i4 or Ioniq5, sounds like at least 1 charge stop. I could probably live with that if it really could be done in 20 minutes, though usually I don't stop at all so right there adds at least 1/2 hour to the trip. or with slower charging, maybe an hour or more.

and I often do that trip at night (doing it tomorrow) so leaving here at about 6:00 PM. and I know I won't have any desire to be trying to find a fast charger at 9:00 or so. x10 if the weather is bad! and then have to worry about it again as soon as I get there.

Hey @qbrozen - Any consideration of the Wagoneer for the new family hauler?

Nice looking S90 btw. Once upon a time there were smokin’ lease deals on those.

henryn said:

stickguy said:

A market economy is a market economy. I agree, on the whole, a dealer doesn’t sell for a loss. There may be some very skinny deals or deals that show a loss until some kick back money or extra allocation is applied but you don’t stay in business long selling at a loss.

I’ve heard of more than a few people getting to the table and telling them they’ll pay MSRP but no ADM and the deal gets done. If they don’t move on it, I’m reasonably sure there’s another dealer not far away that will.

au1994 said:

Michaell said:

stickguy said:

Since I now have a road trip planned in a couple of weeks (flight and hotel booked), I'm conflicted about getting home as quickly as possible versus seeing some sights along the way.

I'll have a 3 hour drive from SD to my hometown north of LA, then roughly 17-18 hours from there back to Colorado, I'll have plenty of time to get acquainted with the Sonata. New head unit with CarPlay is being installed on Saturday (thanks, sis!), so that will help.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Michaell said:

au1994 said:

Michaell said:

stickguy said:

Since I now have a road trip planned in a couple of weeks (flight and hotel booked), I'm conflicted about getting home as quickly as possible versus seeing some sights along the way.

I'll have a 3 hour drive from SD to my hometown north of LA, then roughly 17-18 hours from there back to Colorado, I'll have plenty of time to get acquainted with the Sonata. New head unit with CarPlay is being installed on Saturday (thanks, sis!), so that will help.
    Now I have to say my roadtrips are always about getting to the destination. If I could, for example, tour wine country in CA or VT, NH, MA for fall foliage, I am all about taking my time and making that the experience.

big difference between a vacation or recreational sightseeing tour, and having to just get someplace in a short time.

• breldbreld Member Posts: 6,710
    dad23 said:

breld said:

@dad23 said:

If you don't mind me asking, was this the one on Arapahoe, or Broadway?

Groove on Broadway.

2024 Audi Q8 e-tron - 2024 Corvette - 2024 BMW X5 - 2023 Tesla Model Y

• xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,788
    au1994 said:

Anymore, though, I can see eighty miles being a pretty convenient range for bathroom breaks. :tired_face:

2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,729
    stickguy said:

benjaminh said:

stickguy said:

kyfdx said:

stickguy said:

corvette said:

Today's insanity: Found a slightly used Maverick XLT, incorrectly labeled as a Maverick XL. Ecoboost AWD, CoPilot 360, bed cover, bed liner, heated seats (so I'm assuming it has the XLT Luxury package). I'm guessing it stickered around $30k. Cars.com says it's a bargain at $43k, and that the market price is closer to $53k.

I really like my Lariat, but if somebody offers me $40k for it, I am taking it and going shopping!
    https://www.edmunds.com/appraisal/
    Troublemaker. I’m actually afraid to try it! Wouldn’t do it anyway until I figure out our moving situation. Or my next one arrives!
    What's the latest update of when your hybrid Maverick arrives? At that point you should be able to get a nice profit on one of them.
    I have heard nothing. Based on the forums I assume September maybe at best. I would actually prefer to get bumped to 2023 but I doubt it’s happening.
    I always figure 10% extra for CA.
    xwesx said:

au1994 said:

Anymore, though, I can see eighty miles being a pretty convenient range for bathroom breaks. :tired_face:

You are staying too hydrated. Deprive yourself of water!
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
    andres3 said:

stickguy said:

benjaminh said:

stickguy said:

kyfdx said:

stickguy said:

corvette said:

Today's insanity: Found a slightly used Maverick XLT, incorrectly labeled as a Maverick XL. Ecoboost AWD, CoPilot 360, bed cover, bed liner, heated seats (so I'm assuming it has the XLT Luxury package). I'm guessing it stickered around $30k. Cars.com says it's a bargain at $43k, and that the market price is closer to $53k.

I really like my Lariat, but if somebody offers me $40k for it, I am taking it and going shopping!
    https://www.edmunds.com/appraisal/
    Troublemaker. I’m actually afraid to try it! Wouldn’t do it anyway until I figure out our moving situation. Or my next one arrives!
    What's the latest update of when your hybrid Maverick arrives? At that point you should be able to get a nice profit on one of them.
    I have heard nothing. Based on the forums I assume September maybe at best. I would actually prefer to get bumped to 2023 but I doubt it’s happening.
    I always figure 10% extra for CA.
    xwesx said:

au1994 said:

You are staying too hydrated. Deprive yourself of water!
    ————————————————-

Hey doctor @andres3, most doctors preach just the opposite. But then what would you expect from slow poke doctors?

jmonroe
    '15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
    xwesx said:

au1994 said:

Lately I’ve been welcoming breaks a little sooner myself but not at the 80 mile point yet unless I’d be driving at 30 MPH.

I think @roadburner could do a transcontinental trip with ease.

jmonroe
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,933
    au1994 said:

Hey @qbrozen - Any consideration of the Wagoneer for the new family hauler?

Nice looking S90 btw. Once upon a time there were smokin’ lease deals on those.

I looked at it. Too small.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,760

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• mjfloyd1mjfloyd1 Member Posts: 3,271
    edited April 2022
    nyccarguy said:

And 2 more:

Am I the only one that calls Preludes “Quaaludes”?
    kyfdx said:

————————————————-

@kyfdx, are you trying to tell us you got into the car flipping biz while on vacation?

jmonroe
  • oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,646
    au1994 said:

Michaell said:

au1994 said:

Michaell said:

stickguy said:

Now I have to say my roadtrips are always about getting to the destination. If I could, for example, tour wine country in CA or VT, NH, MA for fall foliage, I am all about taking my time and making that the experience.
    That’s quite a circuitous route. You could tour wine country in NY instead and then go leaf peeping in VT. Visit the wineries in the finger lakes region and over to more in the Hudson valley. Take the ferry across lake Champlain into VT for the foliage.

I’ve done all that, although not all at the same time.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,262
    When road tripping an EV, the optimum strategy as I understand it is to start the trip with 100% charge. You then plan to stop at the furthest reliable fast charger you can comfortably reach and recharge there, targeting no more than 80% charge, and stop charging once it has enough charge to make it the next reliable fast charger on the route (plus some buffer).
    xwesx said:

au1994 said:

Unfortunately, I'm in the same boat. Plus I need to unlimber, straighten out my knees, get the kinks out of my back. But that would only be a 5 or at most 10 minute break, and you're not going to get much of a battery charge in that time period.
  • benjaminhbenjaminh Member Posts: 6,311
    edited April 2022
    corvette said:

When road tripping an EV, the optimum strategy as I understand it is to start the trip with 100% charge. You then plan to stop at the furthest reliable fast charger you can comfortably reach and recharge there, targeting no more than 80% charge, and stop charging once it has enough charge to make it the next reliable fast charger on the route (plus some buffer).

One of the things that's going to keep me from going EV for quite a while is range. The least expensive $50k Model 3 standard range plus has a theoretical range of 270 miles, but in this real-world driving in Winter at 75 mph the range going from 100% to 0 on your battery was about 200 miles. But since fully charging and uncharging your battery shortens its life, few people are going to do that. If you instead went from 90% to 10% that preserves your battery but takes off 20%, which would mean that now your EV with a theoretical range of 270 miles is down to a real-world of about 160 miles. Right now I regularly drive between Louisville and Columbus, which is a distance of 220 miles.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3EdOx9a4RGg&t=78s

https://www.drivingelectric.com/your-questions-answered/96/electric-car-battery-life-how-preserve-your-battery

"How to prolong your electric car battery’s life
    1. Don’t overcharge it: constantly topping up your electric car to keep it fully charged can actually damage it. Laptops, for example, lose battery capacity if they're plugged in all the time. It's better to let the capacity run down to 10 or 20%, then recharge to around 80%."

Car and Driver found that maintenance costs on their long-term Model 3 were not far from gas cars once you include tire replacements at 30k rather than 50k. At the end of 3 years the battery of their long-term tester had lost 7% of its range.

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/a30209598/2019-tesla-model-3-reliability-maintenance/

"The Model 3 has minimal scheduled service. However, one regional requirement that applies to us is lubricating the oft-dormant brake calipers every year or 12,500 miles in areas where roads are salted during winter. Those three lubes each cost oil-change money, totaling $306. But our car's minuscule brake wear over 40,000 miles suggests the pads should last well past 100,000 miles. The Model 3's all-season Michelin tires, on the other hand, were used up after just 30,000 miles, partially because the Tesla version of this tire has less tread depth, probably for a slight boost in efficiency and range. A new set was $1157....Like a cellphone battery, the lithium-ion packs that power today's EVs lose their ability to hold energy over time. The big questions are how much and how quickly. Two things that accelerate the falloff are lots of fast-charging and charging all the way to 100 percent, both of which we did quite often. Using third-party software called TeslaFi, we could nerd out on all kinds of data about our car's driving and charging, as well as monitor its battery loss. At the 20,000-mile halfway point of our test, our car showed about a 6 percent loss, or a 19-mile range reduction."
    2018 Acura TLX 2.4 Tech 4WS (mine), 2018 Honda CR-V EX AWD (wife's)
    I guess we'll find out in a few months, though I think our use case will be just fine for an EV - 25 mile commute per day, minimum 3 days a week (up to 6 days a week in the summer). Can probably get away with recharging just once a week.

If longer road trips are required, we take the Subaru or rent a car, as necessary. At $50 every week or two for gas, we can save $1000/year on fueling costs.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

• benjaminhbenjaminh Member Posts: 6,311
    Michaell said:

I guess we'll find out in a few months, though I think our use case will be just fine for an EV - 25 mile commute per day, minimum 3 days a week (up to 6 days a week in the summer). Can probably get away with recharging just once a week.

If longer road trips are required, we take the Subaru or rent a car, as necessary. At $50 every week or two for gas, we can save $1000/year on fueling costs.

I think your future VW ID.4 is a bargain. With the $7500 tax credit the price is similar to a RAV4 or CR-V, and then on top of that you get free charging for 3 years from VW.
    2018 Acura TLX 2.4 Tech 4WS (mine), 2018 Honda CR-V EX AWD (wife's)
  • ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,081
    edited April 2022
    Complaining about the shortcomings of an EV for long road trips is a bit like complaining your cast-iron kite doesn't fly very well. Neither are designed for that use. EVs are great for the type of driving many/most people do, commuting to and from work, shopping, visiting friends, etc. If you need to go visit Aunt Marge halfway across the country I would recommend a different way of getting there. Or buy a PHEV, which combines the advantages of both with few of the drawbacks.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6