Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,891

@oldfarmer50 said:
    The Hyundai dealer wanted $150 to diagnose a stuck shifter that threw a code for the transmission control module. $2000 to replace it. Local transmission shop fixed it for 1/4 the price.

I’ll only got to a dealer for warranty stuff.

Dealer only for warranty is usually my path, but indy euro guy couldn’t figure it out and the indy MB mechanic never returned my messages.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,312
    qbrozen said:

tjc78 said:

Well you know I love it! Is it the Pearl white or regular white can’t tell on my phone.

My wife’s XC is the regular white and my S60 is the pearl white. I never told my wife and she has never noticed. She thinks it is the same exact color as mine.

Have you driven it since it was fixed? I think you’ll like the T6 it moves along quite well. I drove my wife to work the other morning and on the way back I got a little frisky in mine and it creeps up fast.

Window sticker states "Crystal White Metallic."
    I got to ride in the passenger seat today when wife picked me up from Benz dealer. It is definitely a smooth highway missile. She says "i love it!" which is quite high praise from her.

Speaking of the benz dealer ... that place is simply too pretentious for me. The fact that it takes contact with 4 people for me to drop it off for service tells me the bill will be way too high. She made a point to tell me that diagnosing the problems will be $175 ea. So $525 just to find out what might be wrong with the TPMS, moonroof, and tailgate. This is why I try to avoid dealership service depts as much as I possibly can.
    I don't believe my store has ever charged a diagnostic fee; I know that they spent quite a bit of time diagnosing the O2 sensor issue on the Clubman and I only was charged for the eventual fix.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,237

I don't believe my store has ever charged a diagnostic fee; I know that they spent quite a bit of time diagnosing the O2 sensor issue on the Clubman and I only was charged for the eventual fix.

Bachman VW's service department did the same when I had my 1999 Jetta towed in with a no crank / no start issue. The dome lamp had broken into pieces when I flipped the switch (which I told them). Turns out, that blew a fuse (hidden under the knee bolster and not in the "regular" fuses I was able to check in the fuse block discussed in the owners manual) which prevented it from starting. Chalk that up to extremely poor electrical circuit design on VW's part.
    I'm browsing Weathertech's website in anticipation of the Maverick... They seem to have really gone downhill, now offering golf cart accessories, belts for your pants(?!?), coasters and water bottles, etc... I like their rubber floor mats, and their basic black plastic license plate frame with concealed fasteners, but all of this other ticky-tacky has me looking askance.
  • ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,031
    Those big-money Execs don’t come cheap, y’know. Gotta have new revenue streams to justify their existence.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,891

@corvette said:
    I'm browsing Weathertech's website in anticipation of the Maverick... They seem to have really gone downhill, now offering golf cart accessories, belts for your pants(?!?), coasters and water bottles, etc... I like their rubber floor mats, and their basic black plastic license plate frame with concealed fasteners, but all of this other ticky-tacky has me looking askance.

Not totally sure what all that means, lol, but I decided to give those diamond pattern faux leather mats a try for the volvo. Will be here in a couple of weeks. A little cheaper than the weathertech

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

Also, my reading of the tea leaves is that Ford is now building Maverick orders pretty much in the order they were received. That puts me getting my January order in late October or early November at the earliest, if it's not converted to a 2023 order.
  • fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,097
    I think good indys are in high demand these days. The local shop who isn't scared of the fintail was about 6 weeks out for a service. The indy MB shop near where I lived in the Seattle area was similar, even in the before times. If word gets out, these places can be swamped.
    qbrozen said:

@oldfarmer50 said:

The Hyundai dealer wanted $150 to diagnose a stuck shifter that threw a code for the transmission control module. $2000 to replace it. Local transmission shop fixed it for 1/4 the price.

I’ll only got to a dealer for warranty stuff.

Dealer only for warranty is usually my path, but indy euro guy couldn’t figure it out and the indy MB mechanic never returned my messages.

• MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 240,145
    pensfan83 said:

Out and about today

I’ve had a ride in that car!

Still looks great…

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• jmonroe1jmonroe1 Member Posts: 7,466

@pensfan83 said:
    Out and about today

———————————————-

Looks good but you missed a spot. o:)

jmonroe

'15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,200
    @pensfan83 Pretty sweet!

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,439
    Looks brand new.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,953
    Love that red color. I tried to test drive a 2012 white one at my local BMW dealer. It was in the showroom as a CPO unit with pretty low miles. Got the keys & tried to start her up and...nothing, nothing at all. Seems the battery was dead & even with a jump, the thing just would not turn over. Talk about embarrassing, the sales guy was just so unhappy and told me I'd do better coming in tomorrow after they checked to see what the problem was. Unfortunately, that tomorrow never came, but drove a similar one a few years later and was amazed how front heavy it was. Guess the V-6 engine added a whole lot of weight though when pressed, it moved out pretty quick. It just felt heavy to me and by then, I was driving my VW Golf which felt so much lighter.
    As much as I do like BMW's & MB's, when it comes to service & reliability, I lean towards more of a "cheap to keep" mindset so vehicles like Honda's, Toyota's & Hyundai/Kia's are more towards what I lean towards. And to be honest, I'm still enjoying my Golf and just in no hurry to cut it from the herd. But, when I do finally get ready, due to the shortage of vehicles 175" and smaller, I could end up with a Mini Cooper truth be told. No way in h-ll will I be paying a ridiculous ADM. fee like they are charging now but the right vehicle at the right price could definitely get me into a brand spanking new Mini Cooper. My new motto is, "never say never" on anything!

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

• greg128greg128 Member Posts: 526
    edited May 2022
    It looks like last month the 2 best selling new vehicles in the US were the Tesla S followed by the Tesla 3:

Tesla S: 57K
    Tesla 3: 48K
    Ram P/U: 46K
    Ford F-150: 45K

Tesla S sales are up 3,700% from same month last year
    Ford F-150 sales were down almost 50% probably due to supply shortages

Tesla is rapidly increasing their production while gaining wide marketplace acceptance even as other manufacturers are producing fewer vehicles.

Other EV sales for the same month: ( do not have them all)

Kia EV6: 3K
    Hyundai Ioniq5: 2.7K
    Ford Mustang Mach E: 2.4K
    Nissan Leaf: 1.5K
    Audi Etron: 730
    Chevy Bolt: 129 (not a misprint)

greg128 said:

It looks like last month the 2 best selling new vehicles in the US were the Tesla S followed by the Tesla 3:

Tesla is rapidly increasing their production while gaining wide marketplace acceptance even as other manufacturers are producing fewer vehicles.

That Tesla S number doesn't seem right. Those cars are $100K+. And, you rarely see new ones, any more. Maybe that should be an X or a Y?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,031
    kyfdx said:

That Tesla S number doesn't seem right. Those cars are $100K+. And, you rarely see new ones, any more. Maybe that should be an X or a Y?

In the world of Musk, all statements are theoretical. B)

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,562
    greg128 said:

Other EV sales for the same month: ( do not have them all)

Kia EV6: 3K
    Hyundai Ioniq5: 2.7K
    Ford Mustang Mach E: 2.4K
    Nissan Leaf: 1.5K
    Audi Etron: 730
    Chevy Bolt: 129 (not a misprint)

How about the Kona EV? I drive those occasionally. I can’t imagine they sell less than the Bolt.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• sdasda Member Posts: 6,936

An interesting find at CarMax today. All vehicles woefully overpriced.

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

@sda said:
    An interesting find at CarMax today. All vehicles woefully overpriced.

————————————————

I guess you’d have to “Love your car” if you paid that price.

jmonroe

'15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
  • mjfloyd1mjfloyd1 Member Posts: 3,224
    @roadburner - what do you think of these pictures said to be of the upcoming M2?

Wasn't the Focus RS over $40K, new?

I mean, that's still crazy, but we've seen worse.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

edited May 2022
    Tesla Vehicle Production & Deliveries and Date for Financial Results & Webcast for First Quarter 2022
    BUSINESS WIRE
    Apr 2, 2022
    Austin, Texas, April 2, 2022 – In the first quarter, we produced over 305,000 vehicles and delivered over 310,000 vehicles, despite ongoing supply chain challenges and factory shutdowns.

Production Deliveries
    Model S/X 14,218 14,724
    Model 3/Y 291,189 295,324
    Total 305,407 310,048

1st column is production, 2nd column is sales.
    Worldwide

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

Hyundai Kona sales for the month were 6K but doesn't break down EV vs ICE

totals for every vehicle sold in the US last month here:
    https://www.goodcarbadcar.net/2022-us-vehicle-sales-figures-by-model/
    corvette said:

I got the Ford all weather mat set. Fit great and look nice. plus they say 'Maverick" on them.

and I now have confirmation that the back seat is OK. after 4 months, had our first passengers taking my son and his GF out to dinner. They both said it was plenty roomy and quick comfortable back there.

Last month Chevy sold 25 times more Corvettes than Bolts: 3172 vs 129
  • MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 240,145
    greg128 said:

I think the Bolt was under a stop sale for battery fires, until recently.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

Some eye-openers in the data. Only 325 Mazda 6's sold year to date in the US.
  • sdasda Member Posts: 6,936
    greg128 said:

That is a sad figure. The Mazda6 is a really nice car yet it has been discontinued as sedans as a whole are not selling. With the pop in gas prices and focus on mpg I wonder if that might change and have manufacturers second guessing their decisions to cancel sedans.

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

• tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,852

@sda said:
    That is a sad figure. The Mazda6 is a really nice car yet it has been discontinued as sedans as a whole are not selling. With the pop in gas prices and focus on mpg I wonder if that might change and have manufacturers second guessing their decisions to cancel sedans.

Good thing is, it would be easy for manufacturers to bring back sedans considering most of the SUVs were based on sedans to begin with.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,256
    I miss having a sedan but an SUV is much more practical.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
    over in Italy, sedans were rarer than here. Of course pick ups and large SUVs were even rarer.

almost everything was a small hatch/wagon with a manual trans. I loved it!

• 28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,334

They do exist!

2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible
  • carnaughtcarnaught Member Posts: 3,497
    That is cool. I saw a Lucid Air the other day in the wild.

@stickguy said:
    and I now have confirmation that the back seat is OK. after 4 months, had our first passengers taking my son and his GF out to dinner. They both said it was plenty roomy and quick comfortable back there.

My dog will have the final say on rear seat comfort.

corvette said:

@stickguy said:

My dog will have the final say on rear seat comfort.

————————————————

Would that be one woof or two?

jmonroe
    mjfloyd1 said:

@roadburner - what do you think of these pictures said to be of the upcoming M2?

That car is the 2002 Hommage; a concept car from 2016.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

I'd like to add the graphics from the M2 Competition Heritage Edition to a Hockenheim Silver car. I always wanted a 2002 Turbo, but there's no way I could afford one today...

• mjfloyd1mjfloyd1 Member Posts: 3,224

@roadburner said:
    That car is the 2002 Hommage; a concept car from 2016.

I wondered with the turbo badge up front.

The front wheel arches look like an afterthought so I guess there is still hope

Did a couple of interesting runs on Friday. In the morning, we moved some Mercedes to the Manheim auction in Ft. Lauderdale. Super excited until we got to our 5th Street lot in West Palm only to find 4 Sprinter high-top vans in rough condition. Mine had just over 90K but at least the a/c worked as the other 3 blew only warm air. The rear view mirror was a joke and the passenger side outside mirror was stuck in the closed condition but the lot manager got it "unstuck" for me so at least I could see traffic on my right side. For such a miled up vehicle, drove decent enough but don't get the appeal these things seem to have!
    In the afternoon, picked up 8 new 2-door Frontier work trucks. Naturally, the one I got on our second trip had a dead battery but it was jumped and we were on our way. These were bare boned white trucks unlike my lead driver who recently got the mid level Frontier 4-door in black over black. Was very impressed with the way they drove to be honest, liked them better then the Toyota Tacoma truth be told! See why my co-worker likes his and from what he told us, he got a dynamite deal on his as they took off that ridiculous ADM. fee. Was nice to drive a brand new vehicle with 8 miles on the clock an having Sirius/XM was the icing on the cake. Great job Nissan!!

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

Work was a piece of cake yesterday. Sundays are usually a bit slower & yesterday was definitely slow. Only 3 of us showed up and after 6 hours, we were done. The few branches open on Sundays close by 3 so the boss told us to go home. An easy 6 extra hours and hopefully will be able to pick up some additional Sundays during the next few months. I've really been wanting to work a fourth day truth be told so we'll see what happens. That's a big reason I took the Toyota gig to be honest and think I would've stayed if they had said let's go down to one day a week and see how that goes. Working over 40 hours each week was just too much for my bad spine & I should've slowed down a bit. I ended up doing the most runs every time I worked and should've paced myself better like the others did. But, best I leave things the way they are now & just take whatever extra hours Enterprise can give me. My boss at Toyota probably still has my info if he wants to reach out to me as I'd consider doing it one day a week, Sundays, since they're only open from 9 to 4.

• au1994au1994 Member Posts: 3,356
    sda said:

greg128 said:

Thats too bad on the 6, it is really nice.

Speaking of Mazda, my BiL leased a CX-9. He had ordered a Grand Cherokee 4xe but couldn’t come to terms so he went this route.

Really nice looking CUV. His is a Grand Touring in Gray over Ivory leather. Pretty much loaded with everything but 2nd row captains chairs. Paying about $650/mo.

2021 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4xe Granite Crystal over Saddle
    2024 Audi Q5 Premium Plus Daytona Gray over Beige
    2017 BMW X1 Jet Black over Mocha

@breld said:

Spent about an hour with my 17 year old in a large parking lot teaching him to drive a manual (in the ZHP).

He has been very excited about the opportunity since he had a day in the 228i, which I traded shortly after for the Supra. This time, he’s had his license for a year, so it was easier for him to focus on learning the clutch and shifting skills.

He did really well and will obviously catch on just fine with more practice. I’m just thrilled that he has the desire to learn. He’s the only one of all our kids who genuinely enjoys driving for the sake of driving.

The clutch and shifter in the ZHP is about as easy to learn on as it gets to learn on, too. That’s awesome!

Does that one still have the CDV? Or, removed?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,852

@au1994 said:
    Thats too bad on the 6, it is really nice.

Speaking of Mazda, my BiL leased a CX-9. He had ordered a Grand Cherokee 4xe but couldn’t come to terms so he went this route.

Really nice looking CUV. His is a Grand Touring in Gray over Ivory leather. Pretty much loaded with everything but 2nd row captains chairs. Paying about $650/mo.

In this market the $650 probably isn’t too bad. Two years ago probably could have gotten it sub $500.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

After some reading on the new 2022 Chevy Bolt EV, am thinking about putting in an order for one. Do I need to go into my local Chevy store to do all this? There's a Chevy store right outside of our development so it's super close. From my reading, looks like the 2LT model would work for me in that new blue color, Bright Blue Metallic. I'm not to worried about range anxiety due to the small weekly amount of driving I actually do. And hoping that GM will still be putting in the fast home charger for free. Size wise, the smaller EV model would work for my side of the garage.

• 28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,334

@kyfdx said:
    Does that one still have the CDV? Or, removed?

I actually have no clue. I’m thinking removed.

2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible
  • graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    Michaell said:

greg128 said:

I think the Bolt was under a stop sale for battery fires, until recently.
    Yeah…they were all under a stop sale until the battery thing gets resolved. They started with the older Bolts (2017, I think?) and progressing to the new(er) ones. I know when I was looking, there were some 2022s that had the new batteries. But, there were more 2021/22s that were awaiting batteries that were sitting on their lot.

Frustrates the potential customers. Frustrates the dealers even more, I suppose.
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
  • graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665

After some reading on the new 2022 Chevy Bolt EV, am thinking about putting in an order for one. Do I need to go into my local Chevy store to do all this? There's a Chevy store right outside of our development so it's super close. From my reading, looks like the 2LT model would work for me in that new blue color, Bright Blue Metallic. I'm not to worried about range anxiety due to the small weekly amount of driving I actually do. And hoping that GM will still be putting in the fast home charger for free. Size wise, the smaller EV model would work for my side of the garage.

Sandy…I looked at a Bolt, a couple of times. Surprisingly well made (speaking of the 2022 model) and full of all the tech the General knows how to make. Impressive car for the price.

I think stock levels are starting to get better. But, I’m sure they would be happy to take your order.

I test drove a Premier with Super Cruise, which was way cool. But, the LT2 comes very nicely optioned.
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring