Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Edmunds Members - Cars and Conversations

Comments

• jmonroe1jmonroe1 Member Posts: 7,544

@snakeweasel said:
    IMHO anyone who would purposely put anything but gas in their gas tank doesn't deserve a drivers license.

————————————————-

More like they deserve what they get. They’re out there folks.

jmonroe

'15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)

@oldfarmer50 said:
    I could sleep there. :*

————————————————-
    Without a door for privacy? :o

jmonroe

'15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)

@driver100 said:
    @jmonroe1 Tell the people what those cross hatch things are in the ceiling of the basement. Do you install those in your rebuilds?

I don’t know what they are but we take them out and use them as shims where needed. Saves us about 50 bucks a house.

jmonroe

• driver100driver100 Member Posts: 31,975
    tjc78 said:

@driver100 said:
    @jmonroe1 Tell the people what those cross hatch things are in the ceiling of the basement. Do you install those in your rebuilds?

That’s cross bracing. helps transfer the load from one joist to another and keep everything straight. Pretty standard building practice for many years.

Nice looking home. That would be a hell of basement finished.

Exactly, nicely explained so that JMonroe can start using bracing when he starts making better quality homes.

It would make for a nice finished basement...but then relatives might want to stay over. We'd rather live upstairs, and not in the basement no matter how well it is finished.

2017 MB E400 , 2015 MB GLK350, 2014 MB C250

• oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,646
    henryn said:

I saw this as part of a clickbait ad today.

I wonder how many gullible people will be putting Coke into their gas tanks thinking it's
    going to save them gas money?

IMHO anyone who would purposely put anything but gas in their gas tank doesn't deserve a drivers license.
    Most automakers approve of or recommend the use of Techron.
    I throw a bottle of that in every spring for each car that is stored for winter.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,646
    jmonroe1 said:

@oldfarmer50 said:

————————————————-

Without a door for privacy? :o

jmonroe

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

driver100 said:

Actual, unfinished basement.

You may have missed it but we had a sewage backup problem about a week and a half ago. The restoration company removed everything contaminated and did a complete cleanup. The insurance company, CAA (which is like AAA) approved my list of property damaged...$3009. They added sales tax of $450 - which I forgot about, so they'll pay out about $3500 less $1000 deductible. I submitted all the proof necessary to show the backup occurred on city owned property, and they should reimburse me $1500 in plumbers bills, and my $1000 deductible. I asked for $1000 for inconvenience and for the work we had to do. I doubt if they will pay that but, I won't get it for sure if I don't ask.

Not as much as a chimney landing on my 22 year old air conditioner, but not too bad.

• sdasda Member Posts: 6,977
    I’ve been using Techron since the late 80s at the suggestion from the VW Service Dept.

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

• roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,349
    Aside from Bosch Legacy I'm catching up on the second season of Picard- and I just watched the first episode of Strange New Worlds. I saw the first episode of Star Trek("The Man Trap") when it aired in September 1966, and I've been a ST fan ever since. I still remember catching episodes in syndication on on the local NBC affiliate in the '70s- Thursday and Friday at 1:00 AM and Sundays at 11:00 AM. Back then I could never have imagined the growth of the franchise. Having said all that, I REALLY like Strange New Worlds; it's a return to the episodic format as well as the optimism of the original series. It's a lot of fun...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XL4iCAB6MFo

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

@roadburner, if you get the cable station MeTV you can watch Star Trek every Saturday night at 11PM. They have been running the series for years now.

Next Saturday night they’re showing season 1 episode 12.

jmonroe

• jipsterjipster Member Posts: 6,244
    edited May 2022

MN

@driver100 said:
    You may have missed it but we had a sewage backup problem about a week and a half ago. The restoration company removed everything contaminated and did a complete cleanup. The insurance company, CAA (which is like AAA) approved my list of property damaged...$3009. They added sales tax of $450 - which I forgot about, so they'll pay out about $3500 less $1000 deductible. I submitted all the proof necessary to show the backup occurred on city owned property, and they should reimburse me $1500 in plumbers bills, and my $1000 deductible. I asked for $1000 for inconvenience and for the work we had to do. I doubt if they will pay that but, I won't get it for sure if I don't ask.

Not as much as a chimney landing on my 22 year old air conditioner, but not too bad.

Stinks he didn't get more money, but not everyone can be so lucky to have a tornado throw a chimney on them. B)

2020 Honda Accord EX-L, 2011 Hyundai Veracruz, 2010 Mercury Milan Premiere, 2007 Kia Optima
    edited May 2022
    I was thinking this morning....a lot of people are saying they want EVs or Hybrids because of the gas prices. Car makers have all of these cars built....nice gassers waiting for chips!
    I wonder if....once the chips start flowing in if there will be big bargains on gassers because not too many will want them if gas is $5 a gallon.

• imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,147
    edited May 2022
    abacomike said:

My favorite of all police and detective series is “Bosch”! Had trouble finding it since it’s not on Prime any longer - it’s on FREEVEE streaming down here. Hate the commercials but I love the show. Am watching the end of the first episode - as good as the first series.

Thanks for mentioning it in your post.

Hieronymos "Harry" Bosch

https://www.artnews.com/feature/hieronymus-bosch-life-early-works-best-paintings-1202685134/

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,515

@driver100 said:
    I was thinking this morning....a lot of people are saying they want EVs or Hybrids because of the gas prices. Car makers have all of these cars built....nice gassers waiting for chips!
    I wonder if....once the chips start flowing in if there will be big bargains on gassers because not too many will want them if gas is $5 a gallon.

Traditionally best time to buy a gas guzzler. And get frugal car when gas is cheap.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• snakeweaselsnakeweasel Member Posts: 19,324

@driver100 said:

Best time to buy big cars that use a lot of gas is when gas prices are high. I have a friend in rural Illinois that wants 4WD because of the snow and usually gets Jeeps. He alway finds good used ones cheep when gas gets high.

2011 Hyundai Sonata, 2014 BMW 428i convertible, 2015 Honda CTX700D

• Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,968
    Have never used Techron in any of our vehicles. Is this something I should consider? Right now, doing only about 40 to 50 miles per week so not much driving but guessing throwing a bottle of that stuff in every 6 months or so can't hurt.
    What say the jury?

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

So makers recommend against it. But likely won’t hurt.

My gas gauge was at about the 1/3rd full mark so I filled it up with PUG.....$99 Total, for a sedan!!!!!!! :'(

• imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,147

Have never used Techron in any of our vehicles. Is this something I should consider? Right now, doing only about 40 to 50 miles per week so not much driving but guessing throwing a bottle of that stuff in every 6 months or so can't hurt.
    What say the jury?

If you regularly use quality gasoline from name brand stations, especially those that are Top Tier rated, I wouldn't bother. If you want to spend extra money just fill up with PUG the next two times you fill up and use one of the name brand stations to do it.

Compare prices on the TEchron Fuel System cleaner, not the fuel injector cleaner, on the two sizes before buying, if you decide you want to imbibe. Some folks use SeaFoam for similar purposes.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,306
    No that's not a handicap tag hanging from the mirror. Ionizing in progress.

2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • jipsterjipster Member Posts: 6,244

Daughter picks up her new Subaru Outback tomorrow! She knows what to expect from the finance manager. Hope everything goes smoothly. Wish I could be there with a sack lunch. Maybe next time.

2020 Honda Accord EX-L, 2011 Hyundai Veracruz, 2010 Mercury Milan Premiere, 2007 Kia Optima

Wow, what a pain. Good looking Mustang.

• abacomikeabacomike Member Posts: 12,258
    edited May 2022

@driver100 said:
    My gas gauge was at about the 1/3rd full mark so I filled it up with PUG.....$99 Total, for a sedan!!!!!!! :'(

Canadian dollars, right driver100? When I first read your post, I started to feel bad about what you paid, but then it hit me - “Canadian Dollars”!

I spent $55.00 (US dollars) for 1/2 a tank (About 12 gallons). It’s getting pretty ugly, isn’t it?

2021 Genesis G90

@Sandman6472 said:
    What say the jury?

Buy Chevron gasoline - it has Techron in it.

2021 Genesis G90

• Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,968
    Always use top tier petrol as it is so doubt I'll get the techron. By going to a Chevron dealer, would be getting it already so seems like a much better idea. There are plenty of Chevron dealers in the area so that won't be an issue.

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

• tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,906

@explorerx4

What is the plan for the Stang? Is it coming with you to Ohio or are you going to sell it?

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

@tjc78,
    Current plan is for it to go to Ohio. I'm trying to get enough of the aroma out it to take it to the trans shop.
    edited May 2022

@explorerx4 said:
    @tjc78,
    Current plan is for it to go to Ohio. I'm trying to get enough of the aroma out it to take it to the trans shop.

Gotcha, hopefully it’s a simply repair once you get it there.

abacomike said:

@driver100 said:

Canadian dollars, right driver100? When I first read your post, I started to feel bad about what you paid, but then it hit me - “Canadian Dollars”!

I spent $55.00 (US dollars) for 1/2 a tank (About 12 gallons). It’s getting pretty ugly, isn’t it?

Yes, but in a way a dollar is a dollar. If you earn $1000 a week in the U.S. you probably earn $1000 a week in Canada. And gas costs more, about $8 a gallon CDN, which is closing in on $6 U.S.

The Stang looks good, I always liked the look of that model. It is hard to believe enough air can get to the radiator...not much of a grill.

• fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,140
    Ice Ice Baby

@tjc78,
    The trans is the highest priority on a laundry list, but it's 31 years old and very original.
    @driver100,
    It's a bottom breather so it doesn't need an upper grille for cooling.
    @fintail,
    When I got it, I didn't even know about that song, but I have learned about it since then. B)

Well me and She who must be obeyed had a dinner celebrating 25 years of not killing each other. We went to a nice Japanese steak house. We had some sushi, she had steak and I had some toothfish sea bass. Food was great and we finished it off with some drinks. It was a great dinner.

Hopefully a wonderful night. Enjoy and Congratulations.

@snakeweasel said:
    Well me and She who must be obeyed had a dinner celebrating 25 years of not killing each other. We went to a nice Japanese steak house. We had some sushi, she had steak and I had some toothfish sea bass. Food was great and we finished it off with some drinks. It was a great dinner.

Congrats! Ten years for us this year.

@explorerx4 said:
    @tjc78,
    The trans is the highest priority on a laundry list, but it's 31 years old and very original.
    @driver100,
    It's a bottom breather so it doesn't need an upper grille for cooling.
    @fintail,
    When I got it, I didn't even know about that song, but I have learned about it since then. B)

Good thing is it’s an AOD which is much easier than the modem 8+ speed automatics. I’m sure I’ve mentioned it before but when you have it in there have them change the TV bushing to a brass one. The plastic one it has now is very brittle after all those years.

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,826
    jipster said:

Daughter picks up her new Subaru Outback tomorrow! She knows what to expect from the finance manager. Hope everything goes smoothly. Wish I could be there with a sack lunch. Maybe next time.

Good luck! You should have hired Edmunds Concierge 2nd Baseman service.. ;)

Oops... just checked my calendar. I'm out of town, today.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

edited May 2022

@driver100 said:
    Yes, but in a way a dollar is a dollar. If you earn $1000 a week in the U.S. you probably earn $1000 a week in Canada. And gas costs more, about $8 a gallon CDN, which is closing in on $6 U.S.

A dollar is a dollar? Depends on your frame of reference. I’m talking about value - what you can buy for a US dollar vs a Canadian dollar vs an Australian dollar.

Is gasoline sold by the gallon or by liters (liters for you guys on the metric system) in Canada? US gallons are different than Imperial gallons as well.

Just being a little nit-picky, driver! 🤪😜

2021 Genesis G90

• MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,012

Congrats!

Also 25 for us, in a couple of months.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

Congrats to all you rookies!

• MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,012
    stickguy said:

Congrats to all you rookies!

We both had a practice marriage, first....

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,934

Our 22nd coming up this year. And my brother will be signing up to start his 2nd marriage 3 days after that. Following that event, both my siblings will have their anniversaries within 7 days of ours. We were first, though. Ha. I think my sis is coming up on her 20th this year.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,826
    15 years of wedded bliss.. that's not too bad out of 29 years total.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

A friend of mine from high school, although we lost contact for about the last decade, got it touch because he is getting married for the first time. We graduated from high school in '74.
    The relationship isn't new, though.
    abacomike said:

@driver100 said:

A dollar is a dollar? Depends on your frame of reference. I’m talking about value - what you can buy for a US dollar vs a Canadian dollar vs an Australian dollar.

Is gasoline sold by the gallon or by liters (liters for you guys on the metric system) in Canada? US gallons are different than Imperial gallons as well.

Just being a little nit-picky, driver! 🤪😜

When we had the business we went to London twice a year and we bought books from there. If a dinner cost $10 at the time in Canada, it would cost 10 PDS in England. You would starve if you you tried to figure out what you were really paying....so just go with the flow.
    When we are in Florida we can get a nice dinner for $20, but I don't want to ruin it by saying that really cost me $28 in CDN dollars. I go with the flow.
    And yes, an imperial gallon is larger...I think 20%.

@Michaell said:
    We both had a practice marriage, first....

I'm in that club, lol.

37 this year. We are still practicing on this one…

• 28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,386

We celebrate 10 years later this year, too

2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible, 2015 Audi Q5 TDI
  • dad23dad23 Member Posts: 870
    25 in September here, still having fun :wink:

@roadburner said:

@tjc78 said:

@snakeweasel said:

Congrats! Ten years for us this year.

This place is full of newly weds.

Congrats @snakeweasel, I can barely remember that far back when I was at my fighting weight. I think I actually won a few back then. B)

jmonroe